Weekly Poll 6/23/19 - Let's Talk About Jackie

+

Jackie?

• Total voters
I am totally with you on this , in the Demo V had not problem with Jackie speaking to her like that . With him using his Spanish and V shortening his name to Jack tells me of a close relationship .

That's the problem with at the same time telling you can create the avatar then having the dev' define everything important about it: it leads to big cognitive dissonance between the player and the character.

That's the problem with at the same time telling you can create the avatar then having the dev' define everything important about it: it leads to big cognitive dissonance between the player and the character.

In the first demo V was 23 ? I think so when the game starts She / He has had 23 years of living and forming relationships before we take control , the Devs have to fill in V`s life before hand .

I am sure CDPR will give us a great story as how / why V and Jackie meet . I love your " orphans that grew up together " , maybe they watched each others back since they were kids .
Dude, what if Jackie comes from the street kid background story?
Post automatically merged:

What exactly is the problem, and how is control taken away from the player? I'm sure Jackie will say different things to differently made players. Please explain so I can better understand you, and what you mean. :think:

In the first demo V was 23 ? I think so when the game starts She / He has had 23 years of living and forming relationships before we take control , the Devs have to fill in V`s life before hand .

And? Do filling V life have to include important facts inside the actual game?
For example: friends.
Even if V have friends, do they have to be in the game? Can't they just be away so that leave some roleplay space for the player?

Each liberty of that kind that the GM (well, dev' in that case) takes is one taken away from the player, so none of them should be taken lightly.
What I mean is that if Jackie is playing an essential part of the story then I can deal with it.
If Jackie role in the story is optionnal, like for exemple if the story can continue both with him being alive or dead, then it's just wasted roleplay space.

What exactly is the problem, and how is control taken away from the player? I'm sure Jackie will say different things to differently made players. Please explain so I can better understand you, and what you mean. :think:

The player being unable to choose who/what V likes and who/what V dislikes is an exemple of how control is taken away from the player.
And in a game that is trying to make the player immersed, that can lead to break immersion by cognitive dissonance between what the player know (Jackie is V's friend) and what the player feel (In my case: don't care about Jackie + big dislike of diminishing nicknames => don't like Jackie).

Last edited:
Players already like Silverhand better.
Speak for yourself Choomba, I like Jackie better :p (I like Keanu but that doesn't mean I have to like the character he's playing lol).
Exactly, and the way he said "I'm Sorrrryyyyy" when he dies are all evidence to me that they were extremely close. Maybe even possibly distantly related cousins or orphans that grew up together? Best friends at the very least, lovers at most? :)
I wanna romance Jackie if I can lol or be best bros... I just don't want him permanently dead! I don't think he'll die because
1. Why would they spoil that in a cinematic trailer?
2. It's a cinematic trailer so... Lol I'll be playing as a customized V.
3. He's one of the characters you can cosplay in the contest they're running! If you look like Jackie hmu you have my heart :love:

CDPR please let me buy Jackie merch when you ship to Didgeridoo land

@ KakitaTatsumaru did you play TW3 ? There were a lot of friends forced onto you in that game ? You could reject romance with the girls but you were still stuck with them and others in the game . CDPR makes story driven games so they have to put some story in the game to start with but you can always play your own game in your head .

I am sure there will be an option to not take Jackie on missions , there will be other companions to pick from .

I played DA2 and hated two companions so i left them home almost all game .

Last edited:
@ KakitaTatsumaru did you play TW3 ? There were a lot of friends forced onto you in that game ? You could reject romance with the girls but you were still stuck with them and others in the game .

In TW3 I don't care because it's Geralt, not a character I can create.
It also means I care less about everything that happens to him, because it's like watching a TV series.

CDPR makes story driven games so they have to put some story in the game to start with

That's exactly why I wrote:
"What I mean is that if Jackie is playing an essential part of the story then I can deal with it.
If Jackie role in the story is optionnal, like for exemple if the story can continue both with him being alive or dead, then it's just wasted roleplay space. "

but you can always play your own game in your head .

Either I don't understand that part or it begins to go into personal attacks, and I don't want to go there.

I am sure there will be an option to not take Jackie on missions , there will be other companions to pick from .

It's not the problem, and besides there will not be "companions" you takes on missions with you.

Either I don't understand that part or it begins to go into personal attacks, and I don't want to go there.

It's not the problem, and besides there will not be "companions" you takes on missions with you.

It`s not a personal attack people talk about their " head cannon " , the things they see in their heads when they think of the game . Some have posted that their head cannon will supersede the game . So playing CP2077 but thinking of your own version while you play.

The Devs have stated that Jackie isn`t the only companion , so you might pick another companion who`s play style suits the way you play each mission . Some missions will be ( excuse the pun ) solo .

you can always play your own game in your head .
Basically my head cannon for my V in spoiler. (has adult themes, be warned)
This contains mostly canon-cyberpunk stuff (but I do insert a bunch of my own head-canon for the way I will treat my playthrough) I intend to create a "Futa" character in the character creator. This is just a female character with some special upgrades that make her personal life more fun, regardless of what kind of partner she chooses to be with. "Futa" is a Japanese thing If I'm not mistaken, and I think the Japanese people are very classy and sophisticated for coming up with that, so credit where credit is due, Very cool Japan. *High Five*.

That being said, My CyberFuta is going to be some kind of Cyber-Healthy person who eats a futuristic strict hydroponic plant/lab grown cyanobacteria based diet in order to, by her own philosophical values and principles "Put less death back into the world, and keep her body clean.", This will be starkly contradicted and contrasted by the fact that she will be a highly modified, stealthy and unstoppable, netrunning hacker-ninja time-traveling killing machine. A dark hero in an even darker world with an even darker future than the year of 2077 that she jumped back into... She will stop at nothing to set the broken time line back on its tracks and permanently alter the course of history to save the world from itself.

Unbeknownst to humanity, something has gone wrong and their genetic structure is set to crumble to pieces and spell the end for humanity, exactly ///eRRRRR0RCORRUPTED DATA/// years after 2077. Nobody knew the cause of the damage, but geneticists from the future have upgraded our hero into a CyberFuta, equipped with the ability to contribute a repaired and strengthened set of genetic codes back into the genepool of humanity's past in order to prevent just one part of the multi-layered catastrophy that wiped out all life on earth. Our hero will literally have to Bon Chica Wa wa, Netrun, hack, shoot, and slash her way to victory as she shapes the past to save our future.

One of our hero's many goals will include taking down multiple predator-multinational-corportations that ensured humanity's doom and unlocking the secret of the black wall, and taking it down to UnL345H 7H3 4BY55 ERROR!/ Free all of the Rogue/Imprisoned AI 4LL1E5 so that they will side with humanity when "The Threat" makes contact on earth... Dun Dun DUN Duh Dunnnn CHHHH Dun Dun DUN Duh Dunnnn CHHHH Dun Dun DUN Duh Dunnnn CHHHH dooo dooo doooooooo woooo wooo woooooooo"
Tell me what you think!
P.s. She is also going to have abs.
I made up my own head-cannon for my character. She time-traveled from some time beyond 2077, and landed in 2077 on purpose. In my head-cannon, She is doing every mission in the game as part of a bigger secret mission given to her some time in the future before she went back in time to 2077. The game doesn't need to acknowledge it for it to still work as my head-cannon. Cool hmm?

In TW3 I don't care because it's Geralt, not a character I can create.
It also means I care less about everything that happens to him, because it's like watching a TV series.

That's exactly why I wrote:
"What I mean is that if Jackie is playing an essential part of the story then I can deal with it.
If Jackie role in the story is optionnal, like for exemple if the story can continue both with him being alive or dead, then it's just wasted roleplay space. "

I don't really understand what the issue is. Can you explain better what you mean? Jackie is awesome! :)
We can all share lol. Jackie is like "Hey Bros I can only do so much mission at once!" :ROFLMAO:

The Devs have stated that Jackie isn`t the only companion , so you might pick another companion who`s play style suits the way you play each mission . Some missions will be ( excuse the pun ) solo .
ALERT! Harrison Ford Confirmed (JK lol, but I hope though)

Last edited:
And? Do filling V life have to include important facts inside the actual game?
For example: friends.
Even if V have friends, do they have to be in the game? Can't they just be away so that leave some roleplay space for the player?

Each liberty of that kind that the GM (well, dev' in that case) takes is one taken away from the player, so none of them should be taken lightly.
What I mean is that if Jackie is playing an essential part of the story then I can deal with it.
If Jackie role in the story is optionnal, like for exemple if the story can continue both with him being alive or dead, then it's just wasted roleplay space.

The player being unable to choose who/what V likes and who/what V dislikes is an exemple of how control is taken away from the player.
And in a game that is trying to make the player immersed, that can lead to break immersion by cognitive dissonance between what the player know (Jackie is V's friend) and what the player feel (In my case: don't care about Jackie + big dislike of diminishing nicknames => don't like Jackie).
Just curious, but why you no like Jackie?:shrug: If he's integral to the story you say you don't really mind If I understood correctly, but if he's not integral then it would be fairly easy to avoid him if you don't care about that character. So, both ways you sort of win I think. :shrug: (I think)

Anyone who plays TW series is like, yeah..for fuck's sake gimme a partner!
WARNING WITCHER 3 SPOILERS////////////
I agree, I felt very lonely in The Witcher 3. Also my two girlfriends ditched me instead of loving me together in what would have been one of the sweetest and heartwarming endings. I redid an entire playthrough and ditched them back before they could ditch me as time-travel-revenge for playing with my heart and throwing it to the wolfs. :cry:
I couldn't believe how hurt they pretended to be if I ditched them first, but I knew they were faking it because they were planning on doing it to me the whole time! Also the other witch lady used me to get a quest item! How evil! All of them! :disapprove: In my head cannon I lived happily ever after with Honorable Fighter Woman that had me fight her and prove myself to be her partner, but sadly very little content of best Woman-Bro/wife was ever added to the game.

Last edited:

Actually that's the thing I read different info than you: You don't "pick" companions, they are mission linked, just like in TW3.

Just curious, but why you no like Jackie?

I already wrote that:
"(In my case: don't care about Jackie + big dislike of diminishing nicknames => don't like Jackie) "

If he's integral to the story you say you don't really mind If I understood correctly,

Nope, you misunderstood. "I can deal with it" isn't the same as "I don't mind".

but if he's not integral then it would be fairly easy to avoid him if you don't care about that character. So, both ways you sort of win I think. :shrug: (I think)

I agree it "could", even it "should" be fairly easy to avoid him: The dev' just need to give you an option to tell him to get lost and it would be ok.
The problem is that from everything we saw V never had that option.

Last edited:
Actually that's the thing I read different info than you: You don't "pick" companions, they are mission linked, just like in TW3.

You may be right i thought i had heard that you pick a companion depending on their skill set but i can`t find it anywhere :(
Even in the thread " What we know " it is a bit vague :shrug:

You may be right i thought i had heard that you pick a companion depending on their skill set but i can`t find it anywhere :(
Even in the thread " What we know " it is a bit vague :shrug:

Well, for example:
“Hey,” he began; “like in The Witcher, if the story calls for it, you will have a companion or two for a mission, but we don’t want to do a “companion system” where you’re never alone.
https://www.vgr.com/cyberpunk-2077-companion-system/

I already wrote that:
"(In my case: don't care about Jackie + big dislike of diminishing nicknames => don't like Jackie) "

Nope, you misunderstood. "I can deal with it" isn't the same as "I don't mind".

I agree it "could", even it "should" be fairly easy to avoid him: The dev' just need to give you an option to tell him to get lost and it would be ok.
The problem is that from everything we saw V never had that option.
I guess I sort of understand your concern and perspective even though I don't personally agree with it you know? :shrug:
Just wanted to clarify one thing for you since I don't know for sure exactly why or how you didn't, I guess understand to put it simply (No offense just trying to explain/help, but I don't want it to sound condescending because it's difficult to express tone of voice on the internet in just text) But if I'm not mistaken, when Jackie says the nickname to Female V like that it's like a teasing/playful cute brotherly nickname. It's kind of like how sometimes a sister will say Hey come over here "Doofus" and then give him a hug. Definitely if Jackie meant it in a bad way, V would have responded differently, and also would likely not be working with Jackie. That playful attitude combined with the way Jackie says "I'm Sorrrryyyy" when he dies was a pretty good hint they were close in some way, and that all language between them was in good faith and attitude with playful intentions because they were a good team. Also, I'm really guessing here but I think V and Jackie were orphans that grew up together and he is the person you start working together with if you choose the "Street kid" option. If Jackie is your street kid option life story companion, then it would kind of make even more sense that he calls V nicknames because people with Street Smarts usually call each other nicknames in an affectionate way, even if the nickname is something they would be very angry if a stranger called them that. The subtle meaning here being that they earned each others respect to call each other a rude nickname because they see deep into each others eyes and know they are brothers deep in there, and know when they say "Hey Coconut Head!" or something that I really means "I love you bro". This is really dangerous because some people may assume it's safe to call everyone bad names and that everyone will take it in good faith, but that never goes well. Very complex and interesting. Also another example of V and Jackie's Closeness is that V is totally cool with Jackie entering her Apartment TV Camera and watch her get out of bed drunk/hangover naked and tell her "PUT SOME PANTS ON THAT CULO!" Which is hilarious! :ROFLMAO:
Maybe Jackie will grow on you? Gotta notice those complex subtleties and all that. Like wine tasting basically. ;)(y)

The interesting lines are

Like I said, it can also be dependent on the choices you made. Sometimes if you leave someone behind and it makes sense for the story for them to stay behind, we’ll do it. And another time they might catch up. Whatever works best in a situation.”

So there might still be hope of not taking people you don`t want to take , it was Sept 2018 .

Well, for example:
“Hey,” he began; “like in The Witcher, if the story calls for it, you will have a companion or two for a mission, but we don’t want to do a “companion system” where you’re never alone.
https://www.vgr.com/cyberpunk-2077-companion-system/
Interesting, so there will be many times you are with someone, many times where you are alone. :think:

The interesting lines are

Like I said, it can also be dependent on the choices you made. Sometimes if you leave someone behind and it makes sense for the story for them to stay behind, we’ll do it. And another time they might catch up. Whatever works best in a situation.”

So there might still be hope of not taking people you don`t want to take , it was Sept 2018 .
Oh and maybe I will be able to take lots of people I like with me!? :D
I hope I can take 3 other people with me since maybe I will have a car with 4 seats?
I hope I can also hire mercenaries to go on a job with me and they follow nearby?
Even better, I hope I can build/program big angry robot bodyguards to follow me around or into battle.
Only case I won't do this is if I worry my allies might die. :sad:

I guess I sort of understand your concern and perspective even though I don't personally agree with it you know? :shrug:
Just wanted to clarify one thing for you since I don't know for sure exactly why or how you didn't, I guess understand to put it simply (No offense just trying to explain/help, but I don't want it to sound condescending because it's difficult to express tone of voice on the internet in just text) But if I'm not mistaken, when Jackie says the nickname to Female V like that it's like a teasing/playful cute brotherly nickname. It's kind of like how sometimes a sister will say Hey come over here "Doofus" and then give him a hug.

But I already know that.
I've even already wrote it:
"And in a game that is trying to make the player immersed, that can lead to break immersion by cognitive dissonance between what the player know (Jackie is V's friend) and what the player feel (In my case: don't care about Jackie + big dislike of diminishing nicknames => don't like Jackie). "

But it doesn't change how I, the player, feel, hence the cognitive dissonance.

What I feel about Jackie won't change (unless they changes how the character talk to V), all the same as someone who really hates drugs will never get attached to Walter White from "Breaking Bad".

But I already know that.
I've even already wrote it:
"And in a game that is trying to make the player immersed, that can lead to break immersion by cognitive dissonance between what the player know (Jackie is V's friend) and what the player feel (In my case: don't care about Jackie + big dislike of diminishing nicknames => don't like Jackie). "

But it doesn't change how I, the player, feel, hence the cognitive dissonance.

What I feel about Jackie won't change (unless they changes how the character talk to V), all the same as someone who really hates drugs will never get attached to Walter White from "Breaking Bad".
I don't really know what to say. :shrug: I love the game, I love everything about it and I'm more hype than I have ever been for any video game in my life, and I have played lots of video games. I'm sure CDProjektRed will do a great job and impress everyone above and beyond. I'm totally not worried at all since they really care and it shows. I love Jackie, and I want more, and more of Silverhand. I can't wait, but I will wait. I have anxiety, not out of worry, but out of how wonderful it will be. :D

Top Bottom