Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad that the few dog videos posted here are poking fun at them. In their defense I will say most of those dogs are tiny house dogs which aren't known by their fetching or athletic skills, having short legs and snouts and all. In other cases, the ball was just too big. And in others, the person just doesn't know how to throw. But yeah, it was funny :p

It's sad that the few dog videos posted here are poking fun at them. In their defense I will say most of those dogs are tiny house dogs which aren't known by their fetching or athletic skills, having short legs and snouts and all. In other cases, the ball was just too big. And in others, the person just doesn't know how to throw. But yeah, it was funny :p

And most of the cat pics depict them as evil monsters who just want to make out lives a misery. In their defense, it's true.
And, talking of poking fun, I really need to try to get a video of my poor little short-legged, brain-dead Gwynbleidd trying to annoy the cat.

So I need some suggestions, my boyfriends brother and his wife where away on a 8 month trip traveling from Canada to Panama. Now they're returning on Christmas, which nobody except me knows yet.

It's a surprise, telling everyone they'll be back in January, we even faked the flight number, told them I can't come for Christmas evening because of my family and whatnot, just to force everyone to be there on Christmas day when they return.

I will cook dinner for everyone so everyone can go over to the parents place while I just pretend I just cook a wee bit too much until they both arrive with a cab once the plane lands. Now since this is Germany with way too many holidays that means both of them arrive on a holiday (25th) and off course the 26th is also a holiday. After 8 months they'll suffer through two days with every store closed and an empty fridge, so since I'm the only one knowing of this scheme I intend to get them a delicious food package for Christmas.

Now what do I get them, thought of maybe cookies, bread, butter, eggs, coffee and a bottle of champagne, could order a few steaks and stuff from the butcher. Anything I'm missing for a nice breakfast and some romantic camping in your own home alone time?

Keeping this secret is hard, but I know the parents will be overjoyed after those 8 months. I mean seriously, I can't even tell boyfriend He just believes I got insane after telling him I need to go to my family on Christmas eve and will return in the morning to prep dinner, while in truth I'll be searching a nearby city for clubs to hit till morning. Our city has a dancing ban on christmas, shit rules. Probably should look for a hotel room...

Eight months away?

Comfort food, local favourites that aren't available internationally. I don't know how they were travelling, but if they were mainly eating restaurant food, go for sausages or something like that rather than steak. If they were backpacking, go for the steak.

And if they've had a long flight, keep it simple and remember they're on a different timezone, so it may not be "breakfast" to them.

Yep, eight months. They had camping equipment + a kitchen inside a car and a lot of camping cooker food... So if anyone has seen a Big fat Toyota with German plates between Canada and Panama it was probably them. Think I'll go for fresh fruits, vegetables and a nice steak, got contacts to get imported US beef... I think it would be funny to give them a Texan piece of beef after that trip *g*

edit: oh and they'll need to survive 40 hours in a country with all stores closed while the car is on a ship... So left over camping equipment won't arrive till 3 weeks later.

Last edited:
40 hours? Stews, stuff like that. And snacks.

When I first moved to a foreign country, I was really surprised that the stores that sold stuff for ex-pats concentrated on snacks and comfort food types of dishes. Six months later, that was the kind of food I found myself missing most, so I understood.

When I'm away for more than a few weeks i like coming back and eating something local. But it really depends on their tastes.

They've probably has plenty of new and exciting flavors so prepare something German? Rotkohl, potatoes and Schnitzel?

As for basics, bread, cold cuts, fruit and vegetables, pork, beef, cheese, potatoes, rice. Remember it's the holidays, so beer and booze.

I like the idea of going with comfort food that's what they're used to as comfort food.

My go-to comfort foods are casseroles. Pastitsio, baked ziti, lasagne al forno, enchiladas. These are things they would not have been making over a camp stove. They're also convenient to make ahead, refrigerate and reheat, and transport if you're going visiting.

And there's meatballs. With cream gravy. And Spätzle.

Last edited:
I dunno. This doesn't look that appetizing.

Maybe this one?

Anyway, I'd go for whatever classic food they have espoused liking. When we get home from a long time away, we do two things - have our favourite meals we couldn't get wherever, (for Canuck food that means...I dunno. Pancakes with real syrup is one. Or Crepes with same. Also lots of bacon. And homemade pizza and curried chicken or venison.) and we also try to recreate our favourites from our trip, which is why I now make a not-bad Pad Thai.

Last edited:
Bread, definitely. Good bread. REALLY good bread. It was always at the top of our list when we went back to the UK, and I'd definitely expect a German to feel the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom