Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to ruin your retirement parties but I think instead of looking forward to it you should be looking forward to doing something rewarding with your lives. What is retirement anyway? It's a thing invented by a society obsessed with productivity and sales that squeezes the shit out of you in your younger years and often leaves you tired and bitter.

Switch to or add in something you truly enjoy (like creative thinking, music, art, etc.) into your "work life" and retirement makes no sense because you'd just keep doing it anyway.

I understand not everyone can choose the job of their dreams but I think it's a shame we feel forced to simply follow and give our lives to the market force, the voracious monster that makes millions from eating up spirited young people and spitting out defeated husks.

Have a nice day :)

The speed of evolution of technologiy the last 20 years is very scareful when you were in a sort disconnected of it, and suddenly you come back to it. And I think that people over 50s might to play a little every day just as a preventive therapy of downgrade of reflexes and memory. There are several neurologist who begin to accept that, not abusing of them, video games are a good tool for delay some neuronal degenerations.

Not to ruin your retirement parties but I think instead of looking forward to it you should be looking forward to doing something rewarding with your lives. What is retirement anyway? It's a thing invented by a society obsessed with productivity and sales that squeezes the shit out of you in your younger years and often leaves you tired and bitter.

Switch to or add in something you truly enjoy (like creative thinking, music, art, etc.) into your "work life" and retirement makes no sense because you'd just keep doing it anyway.

I understand not everyone can choose the job of their dreams but I think it's a shame we feel forced to simply follow and give our lives to the market force, the voracious monster that makes millions from eating up spirited young people and spitting out defeated husks.

Have a nice day :)

That's why i hope for the projects to work...so I could work what i like doing.
Besides, i see retirement as an option of freedom....so everything i will do won't feel like "duty"..."I must do it"..."It's a part of the job". etc...

Have a nice day yourself :)

The speed of evolution of technologiy the last 20 years is very scareful when you were in a sort disconnected of it, and suddenly you come back to it. And I think that people over 50s might to play a little every day just as a preventive therapy of downgrade of reflexes and memory. There are several neurologist who begin to accept that, not abusing of them, video games are a good tool for delay some neuronal degenerations.

I have a few trusted references that I'd have to dig up but basically it is now known that:

1) (Strategy) Video games may help reduce cognitive decay in older adults.
2) Playing video games has been positively correlated with the stimulation of brain regions damaged or affected by degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's. This is a reason why it is considered a legitimate alternative therapy.
3) Playing video games improves hand-eye coordination as it was shown in a study involving medical doctors. Those who played video games performed much better (up to 30-40% less errors) in laparoscopic surgery than those who did not play video games.

So play up.

Last edited:
Envy!

I think the idea of gaming is really alien to her. I threw it out as a joke and the impression I got is that she doesn't consider it something people do outside their teen\twenties, let alone sixties.

I'm really toying with the thought of introducing her to it. Somehow.

PCs in the workplace have been commonplace for 30 years now, so there's more older people around who worked with computers every day for years, not necessarily in a technical role, but at least as end-users. They're not going to suddenly forget how to do that when they retire, so it'll be natural for many of them to suddenly discover the attraction of gaming.

I have a few trusted references that I'd have to dig up but basically it is now known that:

1) (Strategy) Video games may help reduce cognitive decay in older adults.
2) Playing video games has been positively correlated with the stimulation of brain regions damaged or affected by degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's. This is a reason why it is considered a legitimate alternative therapy.
3) Playing video games improves hand-eye coordination as it was shown in a study involving medical doctors. Those who played video games performed much better (up to 30-40% less errors) in laparoscopic surgery than those who did not play video games.

So play up.

Then there's the nonsense about games causing aggressive behavior, which has long been shown to be completely wrong. If anything violent games make players opposed to real-life violence. I personally have been turned into something of a pacifist from playing violent games.

Then there's the nonsense about games causing aggressive behavior, which has long been shown to be completely wrong. If anything violent games make players opposed to real-life violence. I personally have been turned into something of a pacifist from playing violent games.

All the violent games I play are either fantasy or Civ games. So even if they did make me violent, I have no idea how to use a sword or a bow and arrow, I have no magical skills nor do I possess nuclear weapons. Sucks 2 be me

All the violent games I play are either fantasy or Civ games. So even if they did make me violent, I have no idea how to use a sword or a bow and arrow, I have no magical skills nor do I possess nuclear weapons. Sucks 2 be me

There you are. The anti-games brigade are all thick, which we already know of course.

PCs in the workplace have been commonplace for 30 years now, so there's more older people around who worked with computers every day for years, not necessarily in a technical role, but at least as end-users. They're not going to suddenly forget how to do that when they retire, so it'll be natural for many of them to suddenly discover the attraction of gaming.

Cannot generalize. 15 years ago I cannot convince my boss to make a website for his shop. I asure you, people over 50s only played Mario's, at least in Spain. Only the las 10 years the PC became common (round 70%) in every home.

Last edited:

But....you're Princess Ciri! You know how to open portals and apparently ninja teleport! And Geralt taught you how to fight like a Witcher. No sword or magical skills....psssh. We all know what's in your blood. You're fooling no one!

I have no magical skills
I believed to have some magical skills when my mother told me I looked like a witch.

"With those hair you look like a witch."
"Mom, are you saying that I'm a sorceress?"

My father: "No, she's saying you look like a witch."
"So... I'm a sorceress!"
"No, a real ugly witch, so better cut off your hair."
"Thanks."

I only had a curly mane... rather big. All hopes lost.

But....you're Princess Ciri! You know how to open portals and apparently ninja teleport! And Geralt taught you how to fight like a Witcher. No sword or magical skills....psssh. We all know what's in your blood. You're fooling no one!

:mean: damn it I was /this/ close to tricking everyone and now you've ruined everything *sobs*

Well, my parents have a really hard time getting into technology stuff.
My mom started using her PC mostly because of need: there´s some stuff from her job that she MUST do online now, so she had to learn no matter what. But she actually hates it and would rather not use the PC at all if she could.
My dad hasn´t touched a PC in his life. My siblings and I gave him a tablet for his last birthday (a week ago), to see if he could at least use that... We´ll see how it goes.

I believed to have some magical skills when my mother told me I looked like a witch.

"So... I'm a sorceress!"
"Thanks."

I only had a curly mane... rather big. All hopes lost.

Curly hair is demonized by parents.... why, Yen, why?

Well, my parents have a really hard time getting into technology stuff.
My mom started using her PC mostly because of need: there´s some stuff from her job that she MUST do online now, so she had to learn no matter what. But she actually hates it and would rather not use the PC at all if she could.
My dad hasn´t touched a PC in his life. My siblings and I gave him a tablet for his last birthday (a week ago), to see if he could at least use that... We´ll see how it goes.

My parents are the opposite! My mum is addicted to facebook gaming and uses the internet for all sorts. She has her own laptop and is in charge of the local village website and online newsletter.
And my dad is a computer programmer/IT technician so he uses computers everyday, and was also the person that introduced me to playing Civ when I was younger.

Even my grandma uses the internet! ...although I think her facebook may have been hacked since she keeps sending me messages that are gibberish

"So... I'm a sorceress!"
"Thanks."

<Witcher forum members> "Needs more curls."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom