Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see there's a lot of fellow musicians here. Like to quote the late great Frank Zappa here. He was the man. :)

“Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST.”
― Frank Zappa

Here's my tools.

Attachments

• guitars.jpg
    guitars.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 57
Ryan Adams concert in Charolettesville Va was awesome on Sunday. Below is the set list. I included a two of the better youtube videos taken from the crowd at the show if anyone wants to hear/kind of see.

1. Gimme Something Good
2. Let It Ride
3. Stay With Me
4. Dirty Rain
5. Dear Chicago
6. This House Is Not For Sale
7. My Winding Wheel
8. Magnolia Mountain
9. New York, New York - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b965D8t2LDA&index=1&list=PLsPkeo9rZEptGSuYrneiHC-OgYSwHG7MM
10. Peaceful Valley
11. My Wrecking Ball
12. Cold Roses
13. Kim
14. I Love You But I Don't Know What To Say
15. A Kiss Before I Go
16. Oh My Sweet Carolina
17. When the Stars Go Blue
18. Everybody Knows
19. North Carolina Sneeze (improv song)
20. La Cienega Just Smiled
21. I See Monsters
22. Wonderwall (encore) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUYuSyDyUMs

Ryan Adams concert in Charolettesville Va was awesome on Sunday. Below is the set list. I included a two of the better youtube videos taken from the crowd at the show if anyone wants to hear/kind of see.

1. Gimme Something Good
2. Let It Ride
3. Stay With Me
4. Dirty Rain
5. Dear Chicago
6. This House Is Not For Sale
7. My Winding Wheel
8. Magnolia Mountain
9. New York, New York - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b965D8t2LDA&index=1&list=PLsPkeo9rZEptGSuYrneiHC-OgYSwHG7MM
10. Peaceful Valley
11. My Wrecking Ball
12. Cold Roses
13. Kim
14. I Love You But I Don't Know What To Say
15. A Kiss Before I Go
16. Oh My Sweet Carolina
17. When the Stars Go Blue
18. Everybody Knows
19. North Carolina Sneeze (improv song)
20. La Cienega Just Smiled
21. I See Monsters
22. Wonderwall (encore) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUYuSyDyUMs

That is awesome! The sound quality in those videos is actually quite good! I'm surprised.

I also went to a concert last month, but a slightly different kind of concert. ;) This where I've been:

Been playing the guitar since I was 11, learned classical (sort of) with a tutor on acoustic and then moved on to electric. Had a time in my life when I played a lot and often, but now I don't have much time.

Currently play an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, but I'd like to get the original Gibson someday.

Used to listen to doom and viking metal mostly, but I also like psychedelic rock and progressive rock and metal, and I love gothic rock (the real batcave stuff) and industrial music.

I also used to record and write songs often as a hobbie. My wife and I have some musical toys, like an M-Audio Keystation 49e and a Roland UA4FX recording interface, both of which work well in Linux. Too bad the linux software is still awkward, we got LMMS to work well with the midi keyboard but it's inconsistent, and last time I tried Ardour was too laggy even with Jack, a low latency driver. I know people have recording stations on linux so it might just need tinkering and time which I don't have.

Last edited:
I've mellowed out over the years and sold all my electrics eventually. Most of the time when I play at home or out I play my Taylor Acoustic 314 CE Grand Auditorium w/ Cutaway. Cutaway makes it so you can still solo with ease when the mood strikes. Good enough pickups to to sound good at a show and really good natural tone for guitar at home w/friends on the weekend. Professional sound and doesn't totally break the bank.

I play folk, rock and alternative mostly.

---------- Updated at 11:18 AM ----------

I also used to record and write songs often as a hobbie. My wife and I have some musical toys, like an M-Audio Keystation 49e and a Roland UA4FX recording interface, both of which work well in Linux. Too bad the linux software is still awkward, we got LMMS to work well with the midi keyboard but it's inconsistent, and last time I tried Ardour was too laggy even with Jack, a low latency driver. I know people have recording stations on linux so it might just need tinkering and time which I don't have.

My brother and I wrote a few dozen songs together back when I was in law school (2008-2011). We played a few shows. Now he's a pharmacist and I practice law so between our schedules the ability to practice regularly is non-existent. We had 10 or so songs that were really good. He has a room in his basement that is actually sound proofed to professional standards, but we never got to the point where we were willing to drop 10K for the equipment to record it how we wanted to. So we never got further than recording crappy demos. Maybe one day...

Writing/recording music is great, I used to send songs to my then girlfriend, now wife all the time. Buying cards is overrated.

Yeah I still write my wife diddies all the time. They do indeed seem better than valentines day cards.

Last edited:
Pretty sure if i wrote a song to a girl the only thing she would give me is a restraining order

Just a personal amusement: part of one of my questions was the very first that Miles Tost answered on the GOG.com Twitch. I was rather surprised, but, just like almost everybody else, he got my name wrong. I found it jolly funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom