What is your biggest fear regarding CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just looking back at games as far as 90s CRPG and I'm struggling remember much interaction with the world outside talking/killing/looting. Something that is basic for majority of CRPGs even today. GTA was never an RPG, it'ss a pure action game.
Being an RPG isn't an excuse to be lifeless.

I'm just looking back at games as far as 90s CRPG and I'm struggling remember much interaction with the world outside talking/killing/looting. Something that is basic for majority of CRPGs even today.

It doesn’t matter. The point’s not to cite a prior example, but to lament this concept (probably and likely) not getting a push forward even now.

You gave neither past examples nor what the game is supposed to do.

Here are some things I suggested in the past to get an idea (just an idea, some of it is incompatible with the game as we know it now) of where I'm going with that, and there's a bit more in the link in my sig. If you feel like reading.

I wrote them all so many times in the past, I'm not going to do it again.

Multiplayer mode they may add into the game after release.
Yeah a co-op mode should go very nicely in the game. Maybe with a main player and the second one being in the mercenary you can hire. I'm busy playing Divine Divinity 2 online with a friend and it's working out great.

My biggest fear is that if they do add online multiplayer but it won't be enjoyable cooperative gameplay.

My biggest fear is that if they do add online multiplayer but it won't be enjoyable cooperative gameplay.
Most players want multiplayer for competition not cooperation.

And I don't really expect CP2077 to be a terribly good fit for competitive gameplay. Skills, stats, and weapons will suffer severe imbalances; basic code to support competitive gameplay would need to replace, yes replace not supplement, player-to-player interactions.

Even cooperative gameplay is far from easy to implement, but easier then competitive.

Even cooperative gameplay is far from easy to implement, but easier then competitive.

Sure, but just throwing in one more vote for a Co-Op option. Has there been a poll on that topic so far? (PvP, Co-Op, etc) If so, I think I missed it.

I can appreciate the purist perspective, but some deviation from the source material has to be expected as what is ideal for a tabletop experience may not be idea for a video game experience. And it's important to keep in mind that these changes were made with Mike Pondsmith's approval.

While I can see the arguments in support of 3rd person and 1st person, I'm okay with CDPR's decision there. Making a 3rd person camera work in tight hallways and alleys can be problematic.

Odd how thats never been a problem with GTA, Red Dead, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, or really any other 3rd person game I have ever played.

On weapons, this isn't 2020, it's 2077...and CDPR has to show a video game audience something that they haven't seen before. If the weapons hadn't moved on, the team would get accused of being unimaginative or slavishly copying 2020. So it's a no-win for them. Somebody will always be critical no matter what they do. What matters more to me is how new ideas are implemented, and they seem to be taking steps towards getting that right.

Sorry, there is no excuse for "silly bullshit" weapons in a game that is supposed to be grounded in reality.

Double-Jump IS silly. But it's a time honored video game mechanic that people like.

"People" liked Honey boo-boo, Duck Dynasty, and TELE TUBBIES, but if you want to create something with a hint of intelligence and taste, if you want to "break the mold of stale gaming" you [Sard Edit: do something different.]

The (level based) progression system is probably set (but untuned) at this point. HP increasing is a deviation, but I'm willing to give CDPR the benefit of the doubt on that. I trust that it will be tuned according to what playtesting determines is a good compromise between lethality and frustration. Would it be fun to spend 30 minutes building your ideal character, walk into one encounter, get shot in the face and have to either save scum or start an all new character?

What video game, EVER, has made you start over from scratch if your character dies? What negative would there be if they ditch the level based progression? What possible possitive comes from including it? The only reason its there is because its a cheap bullshit mechanic that is used to pad out difficulty and artificially inflate run time.
Why does the character have a pre-set handle ("V")? Because you have to record VO. These are important considerations that were made for a reason.

Except the game would be BETTER if you character was NOT voiced. I want to play MY character, I want him to speak in MY voice, or be silent, ala Fallout 3/New Vegas, RDR2 Online, GTA Online.

Or, if he/she does have to be voiced, then do it like Saints Row 2/3 where the character has a few voices, male and female to choose from, but NPC's refer to you by nicknames or titles. As it stands, we are not playing OUR character, we are playing their character, and that is not what they led us to believe.

It's easy to criticize from the outside when we aren't part of the conversations going on behind the scenes. The fact that CDPR is engaged with the community is a good sign that they are listening to feedback, and will respond to the extent possible.

Except, when it comes to the mechanical aspects of the game, they have blatantly misled us, completely ignoring their stated and advertised goals.
Post automatically merged:

Also as far as I understood the double jump comes with the agile Solo build they used for the character in the demo. So if you don't want it just don't skill it.

1, it doesn't matter what justification you try and give, it's a silly, completely unrealstic, mechanic, that does not belong in the game. Your "don't like it, don't use it" doesn't change that, nor does it address the problem, by that logic you would think it was pefectly fine if the game let you play as a cartoon kangaroo, or gave you a shrink ray.

There was nothing awful about that tho.

It was so awful it made me dislike the game enough that I have never finished it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd how thats never been a problem with GTA, Red Dead, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, or really any other 3rd person game I have ever played.

I'm not saying that is impossible. Only that CDPR has made a decision based on their priorities for the game. Some will agree with their decision. Other's won't. Are they going to include a third person option at this stage? No they aren't.

Sorry, there is no excuse for "silly bullshit" weapons in a game that is supposed to be grounded in reality.

Grounded in reality is fine. But they aren't just making this game for me or for you. They have to also appeal to gamers unfamilair with Cyberpunk and part of that may be showing them weapon types that they haven't see before.

What video game, EVER, has made you start over from scratch if your character dies? What negative would there be if they ditch the level based progression? What possible possitive comes from including it? The only reason its there is because its a cheap bullshit mechanic that is used to pad out difficulty and artificially inflate run time. .

My comment there began with a hypothetical question. Would a purist approach (you get shot in the face, you die. Make a new character.) Would that be fun? The negative of ditching the level based progression system is that they are committed to it at this point. [Sard Edit: Nope] I'm all for questioning things, but you also have to acknowledge that all changes were made with Mike Pondsmith's approval.

Except the game would be BETTER if you character was NOT voiced. I want to play MY character, I want him to speak in MY voice, or be silent, ala Fallout 3/New Vegas, RDR2 Online, GTA Online.

And you've made your opinion clear on that. But not everyone will agree with you. There is no decision that CDPR can make that won't be criticized by someone. Using a handle like "V" is an intelligent way to not multiply their workload. They haven't lead you to believe something untrue. You still name your character, decide how they develop and have a lot of control over how they interact with the world. Is 2077 going to be 100% your dream game? No. But again, they aren't making this game ONLY to cater to your personal preferences. They have to strike a balance. That isn't misleading you.

Yep. Two, in fact: a more detailed one, plus one of the weekly polls.

Thank you. I do recall seeing those now. My mistake.

Your "don't like it, don't use it" doesn't change that, nor does it address the problem,

You might find a more reasonable approach better makes your point, but hey... do as you will. [Sard Edit: Nope]

You gave neither past examples nor what the game is supposed to do.

Yeah, Kofe has been fighting this fight for, like, one million years. He (?) and Su are the Classic Role-Play stanchions around here. Doomed, but still fighting a valiant rearguard action!

And, who knows, maybe not doomed? I, too would like to see many PnP and TB concepts in 2077. Unlikely, but perhaps not impossible.

Yeah, Kofe has been fighting this fight for, like, one million years. He (?) and Su are the Classic Role-Play stanchions around here. Doomed, but still fighting a valiant rearguard action!

And, who knows, maybe not doomed? I, too would like to see many PnP and TB concepts in 2077. Unlikely, but perhaps not impossible.
I asked a specific question, he pointed me to his older post. Everything is fine.

I think it would be a disappointment if CDPR don't use the PnP as the basis for the combat and roleplay mechanics, it is afer all meant to be one of the more unique PnP games out there. A shame if all they did is take style and lore and slap generic mechanics on top of that. To an extent, that was one of my criticisms of TW3, the more unique gameplay elements from the earlier titles got dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom