what went wrong? analysis

+
A shame you won't give the second video a chance as it delves deep into the themes presented in the game in a way that makes the apocalypse mundane and marketable and it's serious implications on current world politics, it's actually incredible.

The way they implement the themes in the game I find revolutionary as well, because it's presented in a non gamey way it's not making a big deal out of them, the state of the universe is not on the verge and your this super-awesome random person to save it all.

The Apocalypse just happens and we're all along for the ride going through our daily struggles.

Quite fascinating.

I might give it a shot. The bits I listened to did not touch on anything like that.

As for The Last of Us, it's a linear game with amazing animations in scripted cutscenes, quite a difference to an open world game with dynamic dialogue offering a similar quality animation, I think it does indeed revolutionize the open world RPGs in that respect.

This isn't true actually. Ellie and every other NPCs are fully animated at all times. Including facial animation. You just don't get to see it most of the time. If you stop and try to see those animations, you will see them. Whether it's simple things like Ellie squinting whenever she aims/zoom to NPCs having conversation. Only the cinematics are actually mo-capped but the rest is fully animated.

Red Dead Redemption 2 literally used over a thousand actors to animate it's NPCs and there is some incredible animations in there.

I am not saying CP's aren't great, merely that it's not enough to truly distinguish it from other games and earn it the title of next-gen RPG.

Also I find the dynamic class system quite revolutionary in how adaptive it is and what a large quantity of quite impressive and effective builds you can have.

The whole game is tailored towards a large variety of builds akin to Deus Ex but on a much broader scale, I think it's revolutionary as well (would be more apparent if the AI reacted accordingly).

Now that I can't agree even a bit on. Plenty of other RPGs have had similar dynamic class systems and a lot have done it better.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree on other aspects, but it sure damn looks nice which alone could be next-gen :D.

That last bit is definitely the first aspect on which we can agree to disagree then ;)

Last edited:
Now that I can't agree even a bit on. Plenty of other RPGs have had similar dynamic class systems and a lot have done it better.

But those same RPGs always fall back on a specific playstyle that overpowers all the other builds (Mass effect - vanguard, Elder Scrolls - stealth archer, Deus Ex - pretty much just stealth because... gunplay, Fallout - ??? vats, dragon age is not a fluid class system so it doesn't count, Kingdom Come Deliverance - OP swordplay tank, Witcher - quen).

While everything you decide to level up in Cyberpunk ends up just as powerful as everything else encouraging players to experiment with different fun builds without feeling like they're missing out.

I have watched some technical videos regarding The Last of Us 2 , and while quite impressive in the minutiae when it comes to gameplay animations I was mostly meaning the dynamic cutscenes in cyberpunk compared to the static ones in both Rockstar games and Naughty Dog games, heck I'll add Ninja Theory there as well.

We're also comparing mo-cap with Jali, a dynamic AI animation algorithm that's impressive in itself.

While everything you decide to level up in Cyberpunk ends up just as powerful as everything else encouraging players to experiment with different fun builds without feeling like they're missing out.

Yes, it all ends up completely overpowered.

Unless you actually spread yourself too thin, there is literally no build that's not completely overpowered by the time you reach level 50 and won't allow you to simply walk-in and destroy anything and everything that stands in your way.

In fact, I'd say an intelligence build is severely more overpowered than everything else. You can instantly kill almost anything just by looking at it.

It's not an impressive system but it's serviceable.

We're also comparing mo-cap with Jali, a dynamic AI animation algorithm that's impressive in itself.

Great animations are great animations regardless of how they are achieved. My point being that CP's aren't enough to set it apart as an entirely different level of games.

Great animations are great animations regardless of how they are achieved. My point being that CP's aren't enough to set it apart as an entirely different level of games.

True, but one requires significantly more manpower for significantly less quantity and usability at the end.

I think a system like Jali which is completely dynamic has the potential to revolutionize story telling in open world games, this is just the initial iteration, I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

But those same RPGs always fall back on a specific playstyle that overpowers all the other builds (Mass effect - vanguard, Elder Scrolls - stealth archer, Deus Ex - pretty much just stealth because... gunplay, Fallout - ??? vats, dragon age is not a fluid class system so it doesn't count, Kingdom Come Deliverance - OP swordplay tank, Witcher - quen).

Deus Ex I can't remember, never played ES as an archer and Quen is just a spell. Only in KCD I would say shield/plate/HP is the logic way to go, because you can't handle several enemies so easy like in other games. But it has a learning curve and the obviously need to practice. You can't hit a barn door with a bow, if you didn't level it up. The game will always tell you that you're a loser if you don't practice. I loved and hate that.
(I always play death march -1.)

Deus Ex I can't remember, never played ES as an archer and Quen is just a spell. Only in KCD I would say shield/plate/HP is the logic way to go, because you can't handle several enemies so easy like in other games. But it has a learning curve and the obviously need to practice. You can't hit a barn door with a bow, if you didn't level it up. The game will always tell you that you're a loser if you don't practice. I loved and hate that.
(I always play death march -1.)

Same here love that about KCD, the rest I only mentioned that they're the most viable play styles while Cyberpunk pretty much every combo is viable.

Deus Ex though, I dare you to play guns blazing, it's actually funny how bad it is(don't get me wrong love sneaking and punching the bejesus out of people but once you break stealth it's quite clunky) but on the flip side the hub world AI is almost one for one akin to the one in Cyberpunk, heck I'd say Cyberpunk feels a bit more alive with the bustling crowd.

Top Bottom