When i see a door i want to go in...

+

Agree or disagree

• Agree

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Disagree

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters
How many doors is in such big city? Even if the city is not entirely accessible that could be thousands, millions of doors... in my opinion, it is not possible to make even few percent of them accessible.

And I surely prefer unique living environment than many procedural generated dungeons.

from what i have heard and see. i make the educated guess that this is true.
all buildings are prefab and all is destructible (i guess the skeleton frame can not be destroyed)

What makes you think so? I think that except for a few walls there would not be much architecture to destroy.

How many doors is in such big city? Even if the city is not entirely accessible that could be thousands, millions of doors... in my opinion, it is not possible to make even few percent of them accessible.

They could abstract it so that - for example, in a skyscraper - you only have access to the lobby and certain floors at low, mid and high levels -- let's say you have access to those three floors, and each floor has five rooms. Rooms there can well be procedurally generated on the fly (that they are differen every game) and drawing their contents (items and possible info, furniture, ihabitants, security levels and systems...) from a designated pool based on the location in the city and the floor level (low, mid, high). You can drop in few predesigned rooms/offices for certain purposes and have missions form on the fly by assigning a target to certain room in a certain building.

The players job is to get in (through the locked entrance) without immediately sounding alarm, and then do his business (pick/hack the chosen door, and do what ever there is to do there) before an automated alarm goes off (higher floors take longer to reach and get out from, and have higher security systems - locks, terminals what ever). And once an alarm goes off... You are in a hurry to escape before the law arrives and fucks you up.

Not every building requires stuff like that, but there could be quite a few.

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between being an outlaw, and and being the sort of psycho that just wanders in and out of people's houses uninvited.

There's a huge difference between entering someone's home uninvited and being psycho. There are a lot of teens and burglars who refuse to harm people that would end up unjustly put in the same category as Baal "Blow the lock with a pound of C4 and hose the room with napalm" Nergal.

And I surely prefer unique living environment than many procedural generated dungeons.

What makes you think so? I think that except for a few walls there would not be much architecture to destroy.

bcz CD Projekt said that all walls are destructible :)
but i dont think ... when you destroy the ground floor of a skyscraper.. the whole building would fall and demolish at least 4 other buildings with it.. so skeleton frame can not be destroyed..

I agree but we're technologically really, really far away from having that sort of freedom. At the most everything would have to be hand designed. (imagine how much work it'd take to design every apartment in just one high rise.) At the very least it would have to be randomly generated by the game engine. (think no man's sky but with apartment complexes.) Depending on the size of the building, it could take real time days to months to visit every single apartment.

Last edited:
I agree but we're technologically really, really far away from having that sort of freedom. At the most everything would have to be hand designed. (imagine how much work it'd take to design every apartment in just one high rise.) At the very least it would have to be randomly generated by the game engine. (think no man's sky but with apartment complexes.) Depending on the size of the building, it could take real time days to months to visit every single apartment.

Not really. It was done in the Red Faction series years ago.

Of course, the Red Faction series also demonstrated why game companies tend not to do it: It gets silly very, very fast. Physics engines in video games, no matter how realistic you make it, cannot really properly handle the fully destructive environment. As a result, you tend to have some very bizarre collisions going on, pieces flying places you would not believe, etc. The more pieces involved, the more it resembles a Looney Tunes skit instead of a serious attempt at the subject.

That's why, despite it being demonstrated as possible years ago, it's still so incredibly rare.

Hey!
I was doing that as a game when I was a kid (called that game: Mission Commando), and I wasn't a Psycho.

Welcome to the psycho club, brother! Here's your membership card, a list of places to dump bodies, your murderknife (everyone gets a murderknife!), a free flamethrower duct taped to a LMG, and a plate of cookies.

Of course we have cookies. We stole them from the last person we murder-robbed.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of being able to get into just about anywhere (should I focus on the relevant skills/gear/player smarts/etc to do so), but for me it is more based on the tactics capabilities so I don't care if each apartment is hand-crafted/unique. I also don't feel like I lose anything if this isn't implemented. Imagine breaking into an apartment to try to spy or get a good sniper position on the building across the street, trying to evading pursuers by ducking into an office or something (and then if getting found cornering yourself), to me it adds a lot of options some of which carry heightened or new tensions.

That said, I couldn't vote for either option because ultimately for me, if I'm exploring every nook and cranny in the game for the sake of it (which I inevitably do in almost every open world game), it is a sign that I've kind of become bored with the actual game itself and am no longer thinking of it as an in-character view instead seeing it from a meta-gamified perspective.

I guess I want the option, but I hope I stay engaged enough that I don't resort to having to look at every square inch of the city (no judgement on those who get their kicks primarily from this sort of play).

Top Bottom