Where is the news for 1.2 ?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
They would have sold more than 8mil copies if they spent their dev time making the PC and next-gen console play kickass instead of wasting huge swaths of time hoping to make it work on ancient hardware and largely failing.

I don't want another thread devolving into "they should've dumped the old-gen" argument. I personally disagree with the sentiment that old-gen held back CP2077 and place the blame elsewhere for a myriad of reason. If we go down that road the thread will get locked, so let's avoid it.

Regardless of our personal stances.

Would it have really?

It's highly speculative and neither of us can say with any reasonable amount of certainty that it would or wouldn't. I personally think it would've helped drive sales on PC and next-gen consoles.

Yet, by how much? Would it really be enough to justify ignoring a very large segment of the market? Which also happens to be the biggest segment of the console market as next-gen consoles are still nowhere near those numbers.

I doubt it.

There are limits beyond which scaling graphics up or down doesn't work so well. No matter how low quality you make the textures, if the on screen geometry is just too much for the hardware, then you are in a real bind to make it run. Then your only options become things like distance fog to lessen the amount of geometry you have to draw...but that looks terrible, especially in a huge open city environment where you want to see all those distant buildings, vehicles, and people.

The real problem is the decision to try to get it working on these older platforms. "All things to all people" rarely (never?) works out. If instead CDPR laser-focused on making it run really well on new consoles and higher-end PCs (say a 1080ti, newer CPU, and 16GB ram as minimum PC spec) they could have really reached for the moon in the engine and made something spectacular.

Of course that would exclude some folks from the game...but it would also give those people aspirations and a reason to upgrade hardware. Make it a *true* next-gen experience and then you don't have to waste time squeezing every molecule of performance just to get decent low end performance. Instead you can focus on what will make players really (and reviewers) happy: a jaw-dropping experience with great visuals, systems, UI, and story, that will remain playable for years and scale up as you upgrade.

Ultimately, they focused on maximising sales, knowing darn well that not everyone will switch from a older gen to new gen console immediately. They made the decision and now have to put their money where their mouth is and get it working as a stable release on all platforms they marketed it on.

They gonna be releasing anything? I mean aside from another 1 gig "not-fix". I'd kinda like to get back to playing.

cp77-cdpr-motto.png

Of course that would exclude some folks from the game...but it would also give those people aspirations and a reason to upgrade hardware. Make it a *true* next-gen experience and then you don't have to waste time squeezing every molecule of performance just to get decent low end performance. Instead you can focus on what will make players really (and reviewers) happy: a jaw-dropping experience with great visuals, systems, UI, and story, that will remain playable for years and scale up as you upgrade.
I'm getting more and more the feeling comments like these gloss over an important fact too easy.
Excluding the game from last-gen consoles is a quick folklore speak of saying the game come to its right on better spec hardware. and for consoles this can be shifted easily into 'generations'
However do not forget the lower-end PCs that aren't last gen or old per se, just low in spec in general. for very easy and straight forward example: lets say for argument sake the game would be build for i7 minimum. I do not wanna know how many people have a PC that simply less than that, either for reason of money, usage or whatever.
But saying to exclude last-gen consoles also inhibits many lower-end PC players and the number of customers that then fall in the water is pretty large I reckon.
So, its not just consoles

Last edited:
No company ever openly states it was "hacked" just for lols or as excuses. The hack came at the worst possible time, and smacks of opportunist black-hats trying to make a fast buck on the fact that they assumed CDPR to be desperate enough to capitulate to blackmail. The reality is it is costing CPDR a shed-load of cash just to get back to where it was at Christmas, without malicious code still around. That is money they can sorely afford to spend, but would rather do so that pay ransom demands.

If you think having a server network hacked and encrypted "its a convenient excuse" you are sorely mistaken and are drinking way too much cool-aid from the tin-foil hat brigade.
Behold.... Common sense....
Ah, original and witty. Good job. So is there any news aside from that?

Heh, this was actually a response to another thread which got merged and the original (obnoxious) post removed.
But thank you nonetheless ;)

Anyway I think we will be disappointed, because I think that we are especially expecting a lot of content, but we forget that this patch is just a patch for performance and bugs ... mainly on old generations. It's sad. :rolleyes:

Is it confirmed that patch will be released this Friday ?
They gave themselves an out on the patch incase its nots ready.

Ultimately, they focused on maximising sales, knowing darn well that not everyone will switch from a older gen to new gen console immediately. They made the decision and now have to put their money where their mouth is and get it working as a stable release on all platforms they marketed it on.

I agree, they made their bet and now they have to live with it. My only point is now they are literally forced to disappoint all their customers. All resources are finite, and those used to get software running on old hardware can't be used to fix bugs or add features. That's why all patches so far (and 1.2 as well, probably) add nothing for those 8 million PC customers, or for the later-gen console buyers. All hands are on deck for the old stuff, which leaves no resources to address the concerns of others.

Personally, I think they bet wrong, and they'll likely never get performance to a point most old console users will be happy to play the game. Time will tell.

To be honest it looks to me like the leadership went missing in beam counting and "yes man" land to shareholders and the staff were beaten into submission by uttainable goals.

I think this game will be an acceptable beta status in July this year if we are lucky. I think CDPR, anyone that plays cyberglitch 2077 and reports bugs from december untill the end of Feb 2021 were essentially Beta testers and should be refunded the cost of the full game for helping you fix your mess. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest it looks to me like the leadership went missing in beam counting and "yes man" land to shareholders and the staff were beaten into submission by uttainable goals.

I think this game will be an acceptable beta status in July this year if we are lucky. I think CDPR, anyone that plays cyberglitch 2077 and reports bugs from december untill the end of Feb 2021 were essentially Beta testers and should be refunded the cost of the full game for helping you fix your mess. [...]
I don't mind paying for the game and dealing with it's faults, but now they need to give us extra content for our trouble. At least listen to community requests on DLC requests

The fact they want it to play in last gen consoles does not by any way mean that this should affect max settings on PC. That's why the PC versions have graphic settings after all. They range from low to ultra for a reason. If old consoles have to be on very low quality, why does that affect PC Ultra quality? I literally ran the game after the last patch and I couldn't believe my eyes. The game looked horrible on ultra settings (mostly ultra, RTX on, DLSS balanced). Objects disappearing at cose distance, worse LODs, lights turning on when you are so close to them that it looks ridiculous etc, bad texture resolution etc. This patch not only didn't fix any majob bug and I am also talking about MECHANICS' bugs (mods not working, perks not working etc.) but it also broke the graphics...

I can't comprehend how it affects ULTRA pc settings, the fact that a game has to run on last gen consoles.

Still nothing. Not a peep from CDPR.

"When I started CD Projekt 25 years ago, one of the founding principles was 'honest and direct communication with gamers'."

That is the very first sentence Martin utters in the "Our Commitment to Quality" video.. That was over a month ago (January 13).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom