Why aren't there any serious car chases?

+
After the action, we should run away from gangsters or the police on a motorbike through narrow streets between passers-by - the city has so many great streets for such chases! The poor driving model will certainly be improved over time, the failing physics of collisions as well. But why didn't they make any meaningful races / chases? This is very disappointing.

AI can't handle it. Police that aren't driving can't even get into a car, let alone chase you through traffic without killing all the pedestrians. Everything is at its most basic... all the street people just walk in circles before despawning and respawning, the police ignore the entire world but V, and their enforcement tactics are all over the map, generally skewing toward instant murder. In a mountain of issues, the npc AI is imo the most pervasive, biggest problem.

Guest 3847602

Because AI as of now is so poor that you'll see cars on the streets colliding with each other repeatedly, AI cars have no idea how to bypass your vehicle if you decide to park it in the middle of the road and even in Claire's questline they don't actually race you properly, they just keep respawning right behind you.

Racing has AI, not sure what game y'all are playing. I've had them try to slam me into the wall and cut me off.
NPC's don't just walk in circles. They react. I carried a bloody torso on the side walk and
NPC's turned around and walked at a brisk pace away from me. It was hilarious! They didn't want any of that lol.
They're not like GTA though. They're not idiots. They don't try to start a fight with a merc. If you hit them, yes they cower
as 98% of people don't know how to fight. Duh. They also speed away if you shoot their car most the time now. CDPR has
definitely done work on AI since launch.

Cops system still needs reworking though. Hard to defend that.

Racing has AI, not sure what game y'all are playing. I've had them try to slam me into the wall and cut me off.
NPC's don't just walk in circles. They react. I carried a bloody torso on the side walk and
NPC's turned around and walked at a brisk pace away from me. It was hilarious! They didn't want any of that lol.
They're not like GTA though. They're not idiots. They don't try to start a fight with a merc. If you hit them, yes they cower
as 98% of people don't know how to fight. Duh. They also speed away if you shoot their car most the time now. CDPR has

Night City is supposed to be one of the grittiest, most dangerous cities on the planet. A crowd of people isn't going to cower in simultaneous fear because someone double-jumped in their general vicinity. And they do walk around in circles. Post up on a piece of terrain, pick out a pedestrian, and watch them.

I'd love a Midnight Club like street racing championship, the city and the cars just beg for it.

I think that Claire's arc should have stuck to the badlands, all the shooting around town between cars racing and cordoned off by the cops seems silly to me.

not really
the other cars always spawn to keep a certain distance

It's not just lack of AI. The game has a seizure when you drive fast, just driving. It's probably why the scripted car chases are jarringly slow. Now, imagine a shootout car chase during rush hour. Seriously, honestly, imagine it.

lol, what?

Traffic pathing needs work for sure. They don't seem to go around the obstruction atm.
Someone mentioned the game has a seizure at high speeds which is not the case for me. I'm playing on PC.
But I think this brings up a valid point and question.

I noticed last gen consoles are having major problems streaming in this beautiful dense city. Could this be the reason why car chases are nerfed to the degree they are? If this was a design choice just to keep those dinosaur rigs relevant I'm gonna be pissed. I've already mentioned multiple times this never should have been released on last gen. This would only further back my position.

Guest 4531988

Heck if you beat all the cops that spawn at 4 stars (and the prior 3 2 and 1) No more spawn, and it will literally just remove the stars. You don't have to evade or run from the police Max-Tac.

Max-Tac should of been an overwhelming force; (Not sure in pure power as an individual but force as and pure power and numbers.) While they may be corrupt, their prowess and force should of been more fearsome to player throughout the game.

Smasher is also far too weak. A bunch of things are just wonky and bleh.

AI is pretty difficult to implement from scratch.
It is do-able but writing AI for enemies that will only engage the player within a predetermined area is much easier than implementing full on car chases.

Besides, getting into cars does take time. Most of the times I just end up dying when trying to get away by entering a vehicle.
Can you imagine the outrage when players start complaining about progress being lost because they didn't save, did something that triggered a car chase, couldn't save due to being in combat and then being aggresively chased and killed by NPCs?

Why not add it and nerf it a bit in normal difficulty. Besides, they need this system in the game for cops anyway.
This video shows that AI can get in cars to pursue V.

Guest 4531988

Why not add it and nerf it a bit in normal difficulty. Besides, they need this system in the game for cops anyway.
This video shows that AI can get in cars to pursue V.

The are limited on a chain,

Yeah, clearly they didn't have time to finish it. But, the bones are there. As long as it exist it can be expanded on and improved.

Top Bottom