Why do these dystopic games never have psychiatrists?

+
Braindances used in psychiatric care is big part of certain characters questline, we even visit facility where patients are treated with BD therapy.

There's also shards and different kind of mental care institution where we also visit.

Last edited:
These stories usually have people who came from broken homes, bad neighborhoods, bad relationships, abuse, etc., and in sci-fi dystopia, tech-related crises and existential threats, etc. Even in the backward 2020 like our time, we have counseling, psychiatric help, support groups and the likes. Why can't these alternate universes have them too? The Sopranos has proven that psychiatrists could make for fascinating storylines too. Here's hoping.
thats because not everyone can afford it
in the GIG back against the wall it gets clear...
an army vet gets cut of meds because it gets to expensive to threat him...
alsmost every psycho you meet has some of those problems

there are some real worl paralels here, depend on the country you life in
like people need more then one job to even pay for the rent or food...
people dont go to a doctor becasue they cant afford the mdeical bill or the risk of beeing terminated from the job...
and you honsetly ask that question in a game where life isnt worth shit?

as a german with a working healtcare system i think this is insane...

You don't need psychiatrists when you have;

NI-COLA!

Refreshes your thirst - REFRESHES YOUR MIND!

Also that other one that screams at you all the time - ORGA something something

Mmm, I’m tasting the love just from reading this!

thats because not everyone can afford it
in the GIG back against the wall it gets clear...
an army vet gets cut of meds because it gets to expensive to threat him...
alsmost every psycho you meet has some of those problems

there are some real worl paralels here, depend on the country you life in
like people need more then one job to even pay for the rent or food...
people dont go to a doctor becasue they cant afford the mdeical bill or the risk of beeing terminated from the job...
and you honsetly ask that question in a game where life isnt worth shit?

as a german with a working healtcare system i think this is insane...
Kinda hate to repeat what I wrote already, but there are two institutions, one focusing to BD therapy and material we find there goes pretty deep into subject.

Then there's other mental care hospital we visit, with different angle. We can also read people using to psychiatrics services.

I really don't see what more about there should be about the subject.

Kinda hate to repeat what I wrote already, but there are two institutions, one focusing to BD therapy and material we find there goes pretty deep into subject.

Then there's other mental care hospital we visit, with different angle. We can also read people using to psychiatrics services.

I really don't see what more about there should be about the subject.
i didnt tell anything different.. just that not everyone can afford it

Psychiatric evaluation is tied with cybernetic implants in CP. Like it is used to if you have insurance, you are getting cybernetics and you want counseling to make sure your body and mind are getting adjusted to the new cybernetics. Good luck getting it unless you are in a corp.

And also if you go the 'official" route of getting those implants and qualify for psychiatric evaluation you will be signing an agreement to basically implant a tracker to ncpd and maxtac and everyone can track you.

i didnt tell anything different.. just that not everyone can afford it
And you actually referred to certain things in game. I get that but here I was thinking about the topic title. I don't know, perhaps something looked a bit funny, considering what we have in game.

That said, what would psychiatrics enable in terms of game? And my take is, that what we got was pretty brilliant.

I thought this game has psychiatrists? Or at least something along those lines of therapy in general, since Cyberpsychos get apparently some kind of BD therapy treatment and multiple times its mentioned that Corpos have their own spirital gurus too etc. etc.

They also don't have barbers in this game.. So I think a lot of things were cut.why would you want a psychiatrist if you don't have a barber.

Many games have barbers that let you change your hairstyles. Maybe not competent ones who can do more than 5 hairstyles though.

These stories usually have people who came from broken homes, bad neighborhoods, bad relationships, abuse, etc., and in sci-fi dystopia, tech-related crises and existential threats, etc. Even in the backward 2020 like our time, we have counseling, psychiatric help, support groups and the likes. Why can't these alternate universes have them too? The Sopranos has proven that psychiatrists could make for fascinating storylines too. Here's hoping.
Many ppl has stories even you which u hiding and it could be perfect thriller made from it :LOL::D😁

Many games have barbers that let you change your hairstyles. Maybe not competent ones who can do more than 5 hairstyles though.
I know, was pointing out that they don't even have a barber..
It would be fun to have more of those things. Like real restaurant you could eat. Go to a barber. Go to a psychiatrist ;). Go to a cardealer and not get like 1 million text messages that you could buy a car..

Wow...!

I just have to mingle a bit here.

Yes, I understand OP's thoughts and can easily relate to this.

But as a small hint I think the scene from Clouds where you speak with Skye is extremely close to a psychologist (not a psychiatrist, as they use chemicals).
I was intrigued and fascinated by this scene like 'Wow, jez... what's this?!' I was completely spellbound during this scene. It is the strongest and most intense scene in the entire game. So, I would say there is some kind of psychology related elements in this game.

Yes, I know, you can tear it apart and claim that this scene was just a series of plain pocket philosophy tied together in a chain of dialogue options. But still it hit you right there, didn't it?

Guest 4519094

on a side note, for those who want
a game entirely centered on the topic of psychiatry in the dark future
give a go to Eliza by Zachtronics, it's a short visual novel, couple hours.

All you need is a JoyToy and a Zen Master.. Maybe a few dozen trips to clouds.

Hey I keep paying that ZEN master full price, but I am wondering now if I finally say give it to me "FREE" instead he will then finally say "NOW grasshopper you understand the tranquility of freedom from money and have broken your corporate chains"?

This game actually does an extremely good job presenting that psychiatrists do exist in this universe, in all of the ways people in this topics posts have already pointed out.

For all of the faults, this game does least broach mental health in a dystopian society. This isn't a "psychiatry is useless" type of story- suicide and homicide are extremely prevalent in this universe and it isn't just brushed over or in the periphery- the side quests show that the society V inhabits is exceedingly unwell.

Speaking personally as someone on meds for BPD and bipolar disorder, therapy can only go so far- if the brain is broken like mine is, medication is honestly the only band-aid for it. And even on meds, I still slip at times. I still have extremely violent intrusive thoughts and fantasies, I have a pretty pronounced suicidal ideation (I'm legitimately and truly not afraid to die and I do careless and dangerous things still despite being an atheist) and I don't like people on some days. And no amount of therapy as a teenager solved all of that... it's still not solved as an adult in my mid-30's!

My point is while the question of the topic was answered pretty quickly, your refusal to accept that is valid. The problem is... it's just sadly a fact. Therapy wouldn't solve any of the problems some of the people in the Cyberpunk universe have- they can only mitigate it.

its in the (former) US
there is no funding to combat mental illness, only for further militarisation

Top Bottom