Why missing Cinematic/3rd person Cutscenes is THE biggest flaw

+
It's both.

It signals us both, the end story, story of V's journey for now and what our V became through different choices. We see V but we also see end result by not only having V there, but if you think of it, each V ends up in different situation, we get presentation about V going toward different kind of goal, sometimes even everything may look like it's falling apart (the Devil).

I didn't go deep in this earlier in this topic, but this is achieved by having 3rd person cinematic only in the endings.

If the expansions take place post-ending, could they be in 3rd person? At least the Sun and Star endings imply that there was more to do; especially Sun ending.

If the expansions take place post-ending, could they be in 3rd person? At least the Sun and Star endings imply that there was more to do; especially Sun ending.
I don't think they will change from 1st to 3rd perspective in expansions.

If anything related to possible post ending content, I think they have room to handle things like William Gibson did in Sprawl trilogy, there is this character Case in first book, Neuromancer who is mentioned in last book of trilogy, Mona Lisa Overdrive, what came of him.

We can only speculate but I can see that endings works as something that could be used to set that sort of thing up.

third person orbit camera is the first thing i'm tackling once red toolkit is out. i will be making custom animations because the available walk strafe and diagonal animations are cat turd
Post automatically merged:

If you have both, none of them works perfectly. I think the game has so much interaction (and animations) in first-person view that it would be almost impossible to switch to third-person view on the fly without making what you see ridiculous.
how do other games do it then? oh that's right, they have a toggle button so the things that require first person use first person

Last edited:
Unless you're going to get players individual V's into the 'scenes', then no. And the game engine simply isn't capable of reproducing that sort of scene on the fly.

However, what would have 'solved' this, would be to simply have fixed male and female V's appearances (they were quite good enough) and then provide CGI cut scenes. That would have at least given CDPR far more creative latitude.

Ironically, some have even gone to the trouble of reintroducing the 2018 E3 V's back into the game for their character, so there is an interest there.

I could have rolled with that, given that I only ever normally see my personal V in the inventory. And visual personalisation really isn't that important in the game anyway, to be honest. Might have been, if you're going full RPG. But they didn't, so it turned out rather irrelevant in the end, and potentially restricted storytelling possibilities.

Last edited:
I'm comfortable with the two options. I personally prefer 1st person because immersion and also it's easier for me to handle attacks, but I tend to favour 3third person because my favourite games are in 3º person. I like very clear cinematics in some games, in others not.

So I'm happy with the current choice.

Unless you're going to get players individual V's into the 'scenes', then no. And the game engine simply isn't capable of reproducing that sort of scene on the fly.

However, what would have 'solved' this, would be to simply have fixed male and female V's appearances (they were quite good enough) and then provide CGI cut scenes. That would have at least given CDPR far more creative latitude.

Ironically, some have even gone to the trouble of reintroducing the 2018 E3 V's back into the game for their character, so there is an interest there.

I could have rolled with that, given that I only ever normally see my personal V in the inventory. And visual personalisation really isn't that important in the game anyway, to be honest. Might have been, if you're going full RPG. But they didn't, so it turned out rather irrelevant in the end, and potentially restricted storytelling possibilities.
What a horrible idea:)

I hope to god that none of this game, outside of driving, is 3rd person. Ever.

I 2,000% back CDPR's comments that 1st person is more immersive. I don't want to play CP2077 like it's The Witcher or any other over-the-shoulder 3rd person game. Period. That said, I also don't have a problem with 3rd person games, I'm just glad this wasn't one of them.

As for cinematics. I love cinematics but in my opinion, the examples provided in the first post were better experiences when you got to feel like you were controlling them, 1st person and in-game.

I don't buy games to watch movies. I buy games to be an active participant. When you make me watch everything instead of play everything, I'm now watching a movie and not playing a game. Similarly, when you make me play a game over someone's shoulder instead of through their eyes, you're literally taking me out of my character and reinforcing the fact that I'm a real person who is controlling a video game character.

With all that said, if CDPR made a full length CGI movie of this game, I'd be SUPER pumped to watch that. Just don't make me watch my video games (cough FF14).

I hope to god that none of this game, outside of driving, is 3rd person. Ever.
Honestly I think 1st person driving could work, too. I know there have been threads about that topic, but I have noticed that the viewport ( V's "eyes" position) is lower than it should be. That's why V seems shorter than pretty much every adult NPC. By adjusting V's height (or, at least make it so that the viewport is at his eyes level, and not in his neck), the dashboard wouldn't take 50% of the screen real eastate, and we could probably drive around in 1st person.

Yes it's
Honestly I think 1st person driving could work, too. I know there have been threads about that topic, but I have noticed that the viewport ( V's "eyes" position) is lower than it should be. That's why V seems shorter than pretty much every adult NPC. By adjusting V's height (or, at least make it so that the viewport is at his eyes level, and not in his neck), the dashboard wouldn't take 50% of the screen real eastate, and we could probably drive around in 1st person.
Yes it's very weird that. You guys thing it had anything to do with having problems making the body animation work when player is looking down? Something they couldn't fix that looked good and so downed the point of view?

I'm cool with people having first person as an option for driving, in fact I've done it a little bit myself when I want to RP, I just don't think it's the "best" / most efficient way to drive.

That said, I'd really love an auto-drive system. Anywhere I mark on my map I can drive to and if I want to enable "auto drive", then the car will drive there for me. That'll allow me to go first person without banging in to stuff because I can't swivel my head around enough to see what's near me.

I always loved those moments when I was in the car but an NPC was driving. It allowed me to concentrate on the conversation with the NPC, the music, the ambiance. It's hard to take all that in when you're driving yourself.

I'm cool with people having first person as an option for driving, in fact I've done it a little bit myself when I want to RP, I just don't think it's the "best" / most efficient way to drive.

Mmm...have to disagree with that statement.

'Best' is a very subjective thing. It is going to be down to how people perceive things on an individual level and what they are personally looking for in their experience.

From my own personal perspective, I prefer FP driving, because it maintains that integrated immersion that the rest of the game is geared towards. Yes, it's more tricky and takes longer to get comfortable with the mechanics. But, for me, once achieved, that feels more satisfying and rewarding in terms of my personal immersion within the game world. A lot of that motivation comes from a strong desire to roleplay and not gameplay. But it's a personal choice.

Others will feel that FP driving (which needs some tweaking 'visually' by default) is a lot of effort compared with TP driving, and not something they are interested in, or in which they want to invest time. I get that. It depends what you're looking for in your experience. At least CDPR did give us options there, and that's good.

But there's no global 'better' overall. Just the 'better' you choose.

Last edited:
That said, I'd really love an auto-drive system. Anywhere I mark on my map I can drive to and if I want to enable "auto drive", then the car will drive there for me. That'll allow me to go first person without banging in to stuff because I can't swivel my head around enough to see what's near me.

I always loved those moments when I was in the car but an NPC was driving. It allowed me to concentrate on the conversation with the NPC, the music, the ambiance. It's hard to take all that in when you're driving yourself.
Yes, I too want an automatic system with the options to go either full auto, half (where the game just helps you not drive like a maniac/psycho) or full manual (no help). And they probably intended to have something like that too, as the interior of the cars are very detailed (at least IMO) and it's a shame to always switch to TP:)
...that said I also want to request adding where we reach (see our hand) to switch the radio station. Or in the more futuristic cars tell that to the onboard 'ai' :D

I would love the see a taxi system and usable train network.

Taxi is probably the easiest to implement out of the two. Get in cab. Map pops up. Mark where you want to go. It's charged to your credchip. You're taken there and can enjoy the ride.

Sitting on a train, watching the city pass by as station announcements are called out, people getting off and on, etc and so on, would be excellent though.

If both were added and well implemented, I'd be happy to give them some cash for it.

Yes it's very weird that. You guys thing it had anything to do with having problems making the body animation work when player is looking down? Something they couldn't fix that looked good and so downed the point of view?
I'm a programmer but not a gamedev. I've been told it's that way for two main reasons, bullet trajectories/collision detection and to show more of the hands/weapons. Apparently all game engines use that lowered view by default. Not knowing the technical details I guess there must be a very good reason that games use that technique, but still, it's very distracting and immersion breaking to me.

If both were added and well implemented, I'd be happy to give them some cash for it.
Oh I'd gladly pay just for the NCART system.

Regarding driving from 1st perspective and how it feels like we get some sort of mini V with some cars, I wonder if it's about headroom. Try looking up in some cars and estimate if V's hairstyle would be Mohawk or similar, hair standing tall, if that would clip through cars roof if V's position in cockpit were higher.

Don't really know, but perhaps worth to test.

To show more of the hands and pistol would mean that Vs arms are bent or short rather than lower on the body right?
What do you mean about collision trajectory? That the viewpoint needs to be closer to the center of the body to calculate the area of Vs body around it?

Top Bottom