Wild Boar of the Sea: Very balanced card

+
I just wanted to point out that among all the broken cards in the game, it seems very fair to have a 10p card in a faction that can thin like no other, with 5 strength and a devasting deploy ability.

How come this card is deploy? There's no means to counter it. What kind of testing did this card went through? How is it not at least an order unit? Not only that, the sinergy with Crach (4 mulligans) or even Bran is just overpowered compared to any other faction.

I hope, I really hope, that the december patch addresses this. It's so frustrating playing with such imbalances. I'm really sure the Skirmish will show how broken some cards are.

At first I was not in the complaining boat, but it's hard not to. CDPR asked us for patience, half a year of no updates, waiting for the realease of Homecoming. Now the game is released, and even if Gwent has moved quite far from it's origins (which I don't want to discuss that here), we players expected a decent game, despite the new Leaders, 2 rows, 3 rows, 1 row, it doesn't matter, at least we expected a non-broken game. And it's far from it. It has huge issues. Heck, even Thronebreaker was released for 30 bucks with tons of bugs and huge issues in the difficulty.

There will always be broken cards, some imbalance, we know and it's normal, but not to such degree. How much do we have to wait? How long is it gonna take to achieve some balance? Patience runs low these days...

They are fine. No need to change something. You can easy counter this decks with many decks for example artifact.

I haven't seen anyone use this card so far. And no deck on deck building sites has it either.

It's pretty hard to get value out of it.

I thought that you might use my play as an argument.

When i play skellige i play a deck that has no sinergy whith this card.

And when i said i havent seen this card played i was refering not only in my encounters (and i encountered alot of skellige players) but also in the streams that i watch. And no sites that i know so far recomend decks that have this card in them.

I’m very curious if it will be present in the Skirmish tournament.

I thought that you might use my play as an argument.

When i play skellige i play a deck that has no sinergy whith this card.

And when i said i havent seen this card played i was refering not only in my encounters (and i encountered alot of skellige players) but also in the streams that i watch. And no sites that i know so far recomend decks that have this card in them.

I’m very curious if it will be present in the Skirmish tournament.

There you go. In the first Skirmish match, you got your Wild Boar.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I dont think there's a problem with Wild Boar.

On one of my latest decks, i did a Crach Bloodthirst deck, which obviously focus on damaging units without destroying them, and runs both Wild Boar of the Sea and "something Boar" (the ACTUAL boar)

Most opponents knew they should avoid these damaged units and would buff them (NG reveal, NR buff) or consume them (MO), which would give me plenty of trouble. Also, since you want to counter engines, it creates a problem: destroy it and lose synergy for later or leave it damaged but allow the opponent to benefit from its effects...

Wild Boar is quite a weak card for 10 provisions to be honest. You need to leave at least 3 damaged enemies to break even the cost, and the list of better finisher cards is quite long. You are always better off aligning a scorch for example.

It has ripped my board a part several times. Because not only do they have wild board but they also have wolfsbane. Play that one turn and wild boar the next and you are done for (yes I know wolfsbane will change. I still think it will synergize well with crach. His one pings are just as bad as eithne imo). And as I have pointed before, and op mentioned, they thin crazy well so they always have their combos. Skellige is a huge issue in my opinion, it is merely overshadowed by eithne at this point. Once she is nerfed away (and yes I agree she is a big issue) than skellige is going to run rampant. It is absolutely unfair and wrong that they are the only faction that can thin.

I will get off my soap box now :)

I dont think there's a problem with Wild Boar.

On one of my latest decks, i did a Crach Bloodthirst deck, which obviously focus on damaging units without destroying them, and runs both Wild Boar of the Sea and "something Boar" (the ACTUAL boar)

Most opponents knew they should avoid these damaged units and would buff them (NG reveal, NR buff) or consume them (MO), which would give me plenty of trouble. Also, since you want to counter engines, it creates a problem: destroy it and lose synergy for later or leave it damaged but allow the opponent to benefit from its effects...

Wild Boar is not an engine, it's a broken deploy card. Crach is an engine, one you can't counter (unless you play Usurper). And also, there's a limit to the cards you can heal, even more if you consider that the cards you need may not be in hand, whereas SK will certainly have theirs as they can thin like to other. Add to all that Wolfsbane and Lippy and you tell me how I can counter that twice if I struggle to counter it once.

You can't counter pings as good as you can counter engine cards. Wolfsbane and Wild Boar just need to be paciently waiting in your hand until the opponent has enough damaged units. Meanwhile you play non engine cards with no impact if they get removed. You can be losing by a large margin in a long round, and then damage the entire board hard enough to make a comeback with no chance to counter it.

The issue is not Wild Boar, is a consequence of a bad and rushed game design. Took away tutors, then made a faction that can thin to zero. Create an engine faction (NR), then focus the game towards removal.

So at the end of the day sure you can have some matches agaisnt "normal" decks, but you get wrecked agaisnt the meta most of the times. And if you jump into the meta, well, I find no fun in mirror matches nor in control vs controll all the time.

Just check Twitch, HC is so young and not even 800 people watching Gwent streams. That should tell something.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Wild Boar is not an engine, it's a broken deploy card. Crach is an engine, one you can't counter (unless you play Usurper). And also, there's a limit to the cards you can heal, even more if you consider that the cards you need may not be in hand, whereas SK will certainly have theirs as they can thin like to other. Add to all that Wolfsbane and Lippy and you tell me how I can counter that twice if I struggle to counter it once.

You can't counter pings as good as you can counter engine cards. Wolfsbane and Wild Boar just need to be paciently waiting in your hand until the opponent has enough damaged units. Meanwhile you play non engine cards with no impact if they get removed. You can be losing by a large margin in a long round, and then damage the entire board hard enough to make a comeback with no chance to counter it.

The issue is not Wild Boar, is a consequence of a bad and rushed game design. Took away tutors, then made a faction that can thin to zero. Create an engine faction (NR), then focus the game towards removal.

So at the end of the day sure you can have some matches agaisnt "normal" decks, but you get wrecked agaisnt the meta most of the times. And if you jump into the meta, well, I find no fun in mirror matches nor in control vs controll all the time.

Just check Twitch, HC is so young and not even 800 people watching Gwent streams. That should tell something.

To be honest, i never used Wolfsbane, only Wild Boar of the Sea. And im glad its Wolfsbane that is being nerfed and not Wild Boar.

Maybe i just had bad luck (like usual) and was matched against decks that were really good at countering my damage, but i never felt the value i got from Wild Boar was OP, unlike some other control cards.

And i agree that might be unfair that SK is the only faction that can thin (indirectly) until you get the cards you want, before SC had mulligan archetype, and even NR had Ves that allowed for 2 mulligans which was great, now the most there is outside SK is NG, with vicovaro novice and Albrich.

I don't think Wild Board of the Sea is that bad as a card without Wolfsbane, because there are some archetypes which have a lot of buffing, but making it an Order ability wouldn't be too bad either.
Reduce the damage to 1, give it a cooldown of 2, but Zeal. This will allow both players to play a bit more around this card.

I completly agree, that SK can thin far too much at the moment, but if most of the Discard units got their costs increased, that should be fixed. Just looking at the Tuirsearch Skirmisher, which is basically a must have card for any deck that uses Discard shows part of the problem. Also, comparing Vicovaro Novice, who doesn't thin and only places the card at the top of the deck, while Discard thins and gets rid of possible thrash cards shows the difference. Adding to that, that with King Bran (who isn't even used because Discard is good enough without its leader) all Discards get a +1 ping, which is even stronger.

The problem isn't only that SK can consistently play their high provision cards, but that they can even include more of them, because they can easily get rid of low provision cards, without ever having to play them.
This way, a Heymay Skald, who can get rid of a 4 provision unit, grants you free 2.6 provisions for another card (due to the average card provision in the deck is 6.6) and thus becomes a 2.4 provision card with a power of 4, or even more, if the discarded card is a Tuirsearch Skirmisher or a Savage Bear.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
From open PTR I have been vocal about Discard. They have all discard cards on deploy (except for Coral) and all are relatively cheaper. You can just put all these discard cards in your deck and choose one powerful combo and you are sure to get it.

Any discard card which can discard two or more should be on Order Ability. So that SK players will need to think about how to counter locks or removal. Now, they don't need to worry about anything. Simply come and execute their plan irrespective of what the opponent does.

Discard is the worst thing in HC completely ruining HC's thought process and creates a huge imbalance in the game.

I got milled to 0 cards yesterday, i was playing a deck with no discards (still won FYI).... Mill will destroy these decks.. So my suggestion is, if you're coming up against alot of these discard decks, play a mill deck for an easy win.. People will stop playing discard very quickly if Mill comes more prevalent.

Trust me.

#donttrustanyonewhosaystrustme

NG/SK always have biased decks from the devs. They seem to rally like these factions.

If ST manages to get something good going it gets nerfed within a week.

So, sod that. ST STILL has no (thing) unlike the other decks. Can't even mulligan effectively anymore or pull cards out of the deck. It would be nice to see a return to dorfs, a pure ST type deck.

The problem isn't only that SK can consistently play their high provision cards, but that they can even include more of them, because they can easily get rid of low provision cards, without ever having to play them.
This way, a Heymay Skald, who can get rid of a 4 provision unit, grants you free 2.6 provisions for another card (due to the average card provision in the deck is 6.6) and thus becomes a 2.4 provision card with a power of 4, or even more, if the discarded card is a Tuirsearch Skirmisher or a Savage Bear.

I think the bigger difference is Skalds and Birna allow card draws.

rrc

Forum veteran
I got milled to 0 cards yesterday, i was playing a deck with no discards (still won FYI).... Mill will destroy these decks.. So my suggestion is, if you're coming up against alot of these discard decks, play a mill deck for an easy win.. People will stop playing discard very quickly if Mill comes more prevalent.

Trust me.

#donttrustanyonewhosaystrustme
What do you mean Mill? How you managed to mill when there are not any cards which support massive milling like these massive discards.

What do you mean Mill? How you managed to mill when there are not any cards which support massive milling like these massive discards.
You can do it and pretty efficiently. Problem is you need to get your cards R1 and R2 and not lose 3 or 4 cards advantage during those rounds. The problem is you do not put a lot of points on the board.

I am also in support for adding Orders to some of the swingie cards in the game. It doesn't make sense to have this mechanic for some and not for others. Than the devs are wondering why the first are being played all the time, while the others we just enjoy their art (if we still play the game, that is).

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, Mill is definitely possible vs decks with 0 thinning. But you really have to commit to it:

R2, you do the Isbel+Stregobor shenanigans (cant really explain how it is, i've seen it but didnt payed attention), you need 2 Viper Witchers + Necromancy VW, that guy that lets you discard one of your opponents top cards, cantarella, ...

Then when your opponent is milled, they play those reveal bronzes that compare pts on each deck, and since there's no cards left in milled deck, it always wins. As finisher, Vilgefortz and Tibor with no drawback.

Vs a discard deck, unless it was Lippy, the SK discard would be screwed by R1.

Top Bottom