Will clothing be useless/cosmetic only now?

+
CDPR have stated that armor is now tied to cyberware and not clothing, so I am wondering if that means clothing wont have a purpose other than looks now. and in that case, I was wondering if there is going to be something new tied to it to make what you wear important, as the clothing system is very good (albiet with its small caveats)

for example this mod that is no longer in development is a really good example of something CDPR would be free to do with the clothing system now that clothes are not tied to the armor stats!
it kind of reminds me of how fallout works, im pretty sure in fallout some clothing and weapons can effect your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. though i feel like cyberpunk would be able to do more with this

anyway thats just my thoughts, wanted to spread them into the open and see what others think and such.

Hey,
I will be happy with anything. Clothes purely for roleplay may be redundant, but whatever.
Though I would like to see at least a dialogue about it from time to time.

Hope the new system will be easy enough to understand.

What struck me a bit (later in the game) was it started getting hard on the eye.
Like, you can literally meet the mayor in shorts and undershirt.
But that's fine, changing clothes was already present before the Heist, so there's a notion about it.

Last edited:
Even after 1.7/2.0 some of the clothing (Vests and breastplates) will still have armor. Transmog helps covering these clothing that still have armor stats.
I'm not sure, but did they say they will remove mods on clothes ?
If not, well... like currently, you'll probably want to have as much mod slots as possible on your equiped clothes, and knowing that a bunch of nice looking clothes are hard or even impossible to find in Epic or Legendary, wardrobe will still be useful anyway.$

Edit : I checked on a Phantom Liberty video, but I guess clothes will no longer have mod slots (not sure^^). If it's the case, without armor value (for most) nor mod slots, rarity doesn't make sense anymore, so why clothes still display a rarity o_O
Capture d’écran 2023-07-19 à 06.39.59.jpg
Beside, for "role-playing" sake, wardrobe will still be great even if clothes don't have stats or mod slots anymore. Being able to have different outfits that you can switch on the fly in function of what you're doing, is great anyway (weird to me to say that, knowing that before they added it, I wasn't convinced by wardrobe^^).

Last edited:
If it is like what I mentioned back in the past, clothing will be nothing but clothing, except ballistic vests. Actually when I got the game I though that is how it would be, similar to Funcom's MMO 'Secret World/The Secret World'. There clothing was just appearance and due to the magical nature of the game, talismans instead of cyberware (invisible on the character) handled the role functions. Quite frankly the alternative appear is pretty much now meaningless, as the purpose was to keep the stats you want in the clothing slots while looking different.

Afaik, they said clothes will not give armor bonus, but they didn't said clothes will not give buffs like speed, fire resistance, etc...
maybe the rarity will give us better buffs.
A netrunner suit could decrease hacks cooldown for example.

It’s been said from at least one person who played the demo that body armor still provides protection. Hopefully that’s the case but we don’t know for sure.

While I would appreciate if something similar to street fashion is implemented; I don’t see them doing that when NPCs during important quest don’t even acknowledge your dressing, so I don’t think anything as far as AI changes for stealth is happening at the very least.

I hope skill or attribute stats are included for things like solo and netrunner sets though. I’m just glad transmog will finally go in the trash.
Beside, for "role-playing" sake, wardrobe will still be great even if clothes don't have stats or mod slots anymore. Being able to have different outfits that you can switch on the fly in function of what you're doing, is great anyway (weird to me to say that, knowing that before they added it, I wasn't convinced by wardrobe^^).

Having wardrobe around still would be great, but no stats sounds horrible tbh. They’ve not said that mind you, I’m just commenting that I don’t think it would be great for clothing to be entirely cosmetic. Almost anything would be better than what it is now though so I’ll take it.

... clothing wont have a purpose other than looks now ... wondering if there is going to be something new tied to it to make what you wear important

I approve of the new system, in concept. The whole clothing system is a bit burdensome and anti-immersive. Wearing ripped tank tops and pencil skirts because they have more armor than advanced armor plating? Hiding the ripped tanktop and pencil skirt into a biker jacket and riding pants?

I only wonder a little at the significance of the wardrobe system and rarities. I want the game to feel mechanically clean and not so obvious that we've gone through a number of revised design theories. As said...

Even after 1.7/2.0 some of the clothing (Vests and breastplates) will still have armor. Transmog helps covering these clothing that still have armor stats.

I checked on a Phantom Liberty video, but I guess clothes will no longer have mod slots (not sure^^). If it's the case, without armor value (for most) nor mod slots, rarity doesn't make sense anymore, so why clothes still display a rarity o_O

Wardrobe only exists to hide armored vests, maybe a few other armor-like pieces? I may be one of the few who prioritizes immersion over RPG power and mechanics, but I would actually like to see that armored vests must appear on the character if you want to have that armor on your character. Cyberware is just a nice way to look like a streetwear punk or supermodel while secretly being a tank. Like that original Cyberpunk 2077 teaser trailer with Archive's Bullet's playing to MaxTac "taking down" the mantis-bladed cyberpsycho beauty. A little more roleplay immersive. Otherwise just go naked with a vest and throw the wardrobe on top? Weird design approach. Maybe makes sense if the vest slot is the only equipped clothing slot, and aesthetic clothing only exists to be part of the wardrobe.

Rarity, will it be removed? Assigned to higher value / harder to find items with better designs? Or simply be weird and vestigial?

I've got my rose-colored Kyoshi Optics installed, sincerely hoping PL and 1.7 / 2.0 are real turning points in the completeness and professional presentation of the game. That being said, even if worst comes to pass and wardrobe only exists to hide vests, and rarities are like points in Whose Line is it Anyway (don't matter), I'll still enjoy the game as I have been. Will just be slightly disappointed at more under-delivery.

I'm not sure, but did they say they will remove mods on clothes ?
If not, well... like currently, you'll probably want to have as much mod slots as possible on your equiped clothes, and knowing that a bunch of nice looking clothes are hard or even impossible to find in Epic or Legendary, wardrobe will still be useful anyway.$

Edit : I checked on a Phantom Liberty video, but I guess clothes will no longer have mod slots (not sure^^). If it's the case, without armor value (for most) nor mod slots, rarity doesn't make sense anymore, so why clothes still display a rarity o_O
View attachment 11358007
this is a really interesting catch..what could the rarity be for if there's no inherent value to them.
i am really hoping there is SOMETHING that they buff now, its just not armor. side note, i also like how backpack and crafting have been moved.
Post automatically merged:

Like, you can literally meet the mayor in shorts and undershirt.
But that's fine, changing clothes was already present before the Heist, so there's a notion about it.
would be kind of interesting if there were rare interactions of confusion if you wore odd clothing. just something simple like some characters saying "you really wearing that to this?" etc.

Making only armour pieces or cyberware have armour value makes sense to me. Let's not forget that other clothing items can have valuable mods. Reducing fall damage [footwear], increasing Crit damage [eyewear] reducing quickhack cooldown time [headwear] will likely still be important. I sure wouldn't mind if armour mods [Boombreaker and Armadillo] were available in shops...or at least easier to find...

Let's not forget that other clothing items can have valuable mods. Reducing fall damage [footwear], increasing Crit damage [eyewear] reducing quickhack cooldown time [headwear] will likely still be important.
I expect and hope they won't be. I'd rather see those manifested in Cyberware. I'm fairly certain the update intends to strip every gameplay ramification out of clothing (that isn't armor).

Semi-spoiler gameplay clip, you can look at just this timestamped section of the inventory:

It appears there are no mod slots on the characters clothing and furthermore they're all white pieces. That could just be coincidence, granted, but they've got rare and epic weaponry.

Incidentally the clip also demonstrated the wardrobe outfits still exist, at least in the UI. Possible that things change between that early look and the final release, though.

Very much outing myself as a pervert here but I'd like to see tennis skirts added to the game in Phantom Liberty or soon after. Different colours. Realistic length - nothing silly.

I'm keen to see how this (cosmetic vs useful) plays out. I agree with much said in this thread but remain torn over preference - I find the clothing configuration both immersive and cumbersome at different times - being able to mod or upgrade your favourite shirt is great, but it makes me less inclined to change clothes. I still get confused with the wardrobe, and every now and then I look down to see my character's bare legs, realising in horror I must have sold the trousers I was wearing. But generally I'm a fan of the stats and status systems; it keeps my interest in clothes even when there aren't any tennis skirts.

How about your attire (or lack of) as seen by others actually impacts on quests and possible interactions?

For example if you are nude NPCs you pass will make rude comments or laugh, your Fixers will just laugh when you contact them and won’t give you new jobs until you’re ‘decent’ and other interactions will be blocked .

Wearing certain clothing could unlock hidden quests or make characters more or less helpful - so choosing what to wear at the right time will make a difference??

Surprises could be found when characters or hidden quests are discovered if you wear certain clothing or prance about naked. EG – Cyberdoc ‘Fingers’ may offer a 90% discount if you are nude and he likes what he sees!

Having a high ‘cool’ perk and possibly high Street Cred rating could also magnify the effect of your clothing (or lack of) – so you could appear cooler than The Fonz to others or be a walking joke where others point at you and laugh - this would add more depth to the gameplay.

Top Bottom