Will TW3 have AMD-specific tech?

+
Daverid said:
You also have to remember that The Witcher 2 was incredibly well optimized, I think Mantle or not the game is going to run great as long as you have the GPU to accompany your Graphics Setting. Not to mention that Ballowers makes a good point in the sense that Mantle is attempting to bypass DirectX 11, I don't have the tech know-how to understand how this would possibly work but since Witcher 3 is planning to be extremely DirectX 11 focused, I dunno how Mantle would work with it.

Well yea there's alot of people that think the hair physics in Alice: Madness Returns was done much better then TressFX (Personally I turned TressFX off in TR since it just looked silly). I think at the end of the day Hair Physics really isn't that important, heck I don't even really care about the whole 'Wolf Fur' stuff, sure it's neat but what's most important is some incredible Gameplay set in a beautiful world to explore.

Actually TW2 optimization is very bad.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXxjleVS6pE[/media]

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/more-details-unveiled-for-nvidias-flex-a-multi-physics-solver-for-visual-effects/#more-58712

AMD cards will have nVidia `FLEX` PhysX effects support through a DirectCompute implementation.

Looking forward how they will implement this. :p (or have they already done that?)

And it's nice to see those two (amd and nvidia) working together.

jackalj said:
And it's nice to see those two (amd and nvidia) working together.

They're not working together, it's just that nVidia is implementing it in DirectCompute (DirectX language).

I should build a new pc soonish since this one is old and almost died several times already.
Watching the leaked ingame video on YT and the released screenshots I'm a bit worried.
Will I have to sell my soul to based Satan in order to get a vga that can deal with TW3-beast on maxed settings?
The most expensive and strongest card on market right now barely reaches ~50 fps in TW2.
I'm really interested, how will this change in TW3? />

Aver

Forum veteran
Ysmirson said:
I should build a new pc soonish since this one is old and almost died several times already.
Watching the leaked ingame video on YT and the released screenshots I'm a bit worried.
Will I have to sell my soul to based Satan in order to get a vga that can deal with TW3-beast on maxed settings?
The most expensive and strongest card on market right now barely reaches ~50 fps in TW2.
I'm really interested, how will this change in TW3? />/>/>

Will you be playing with this resolution? I don't think so. I think that if you spend 400$ on graphics card then you will be able to play TW3 in 1080p on maxed settings with only some crazy options turned off like Ubersampling or fur physics.

Aver said:
Will you be playing with this resolution?
nooope. Only in 1680. Then I'm relieved, thanks.

>with only some crazy options turned off like.. fur physics.

though this makes me think.. based on the leaked video we'll have pretty intense weather system with a lot of moving and flying particles. will this affect the performance heavily?

ReptilePZ said:
Wow, AC4 seems to not be very well optimised.

Ubisoft kiev strikes again :p/>/>
(Those who make assassins creed ports since 2011... and some other ubisoft games)

I could make a better port with a toaster with my eyes closed than those lazy devs ...

Alextyc1 said:
I could make a better port with a toaster with my eyes closed than those lazy devs ...

This I would want to see...
And here I can't even convince my toaster to make the toast right.

Why people hates Nvidia? Nvidia has his own rights to sell the cards. Consoles are AMD build and AMD is powerful spec too. Nvidia is out of range on consoles, so nvidia is alone and fights alone to make Money and supports PC users. I do not blame for it. I did play witcher 2 with max setting. But I love witcher games and I also did buy it for Xbox 360 without thinking about visuals or consol power. CD Projcekt did great job on console. it was awsome too playing it too. It's fair simple, if you want play this for extra visuals go play this on pc (Nvidia Home. If you dont care of extra visuals,and only care it beacuse you love the series like me, you have to buy it for any system you like thats all, relax guys just trust CD projekt and play this any system because every system has is own fun experiance PC visuals? Console have voice command and unlimited TV screen in your room :D Just enjoy the game.

Threads merged, by the way, as the previous AMD/Nvidia discussion was fairly recent and it will save repetition.

ReptilePZ said:
Wow, AC4 seems to not be very well optimised.

ReptilePZ said:
Ubisoft kiev strikes again
/>/>
(Those who make assassins creed ports since 2011... and some other ubisoft games)

It's like they asked a bunch of monkeys to port the game. Despite earlier saying PC was the lead platform...good thing I didn't have to use my money to buy.

ReptilePZ said:
Why people hates Nvidia? Nvidia has his own rights to sell the cards.
I guess because their cards are pretty expensive. There's also some misconceptions about Physx etc.
Fanboy wars between these things are stupid, a sane man will go with what's best at the time.

Aver said:
People don't hate Nvidia. People hate proprietary tech.
exactly. IMO this "game supports certain proprietary feature only on X-brand video card" is a very backwards and outdated way of doing things. Physx in particular is ridiculous. Why use proprietary tech that only works properly on a certain brand of video card, when more open ways of doing it, that are supported on all cards, like opencl and directcompute can be used instead.

I don't have any particular loyalty to AMD or Nvidia (I've owned cards from both), but I do dislike nvidia's love of pushing proprietary tech.

If physx does indeed gain directcompute support that would at least be a bit of an improvement, hopefully physx/flex in TW3 will have this directcompute support.

Let me start by saying that I don't care about vendor specific tech at all. The Witcher is a great series and I I want it well optimized for any kind of hardware, so that the maximum number of gamers can fully enjoy it and CDP can rake in some serious, well deserved cash.

That being said, there seem to be a few misconceptions in this thread.

- TressFX is vendor agnostic, it uses DirectCompute. AMD isn't locking to it's own hardware and the tech runs on nV cards without issues. Oh, and it can do hair, fur and grass just as easily.

- Mantle support would be nice. If done properly you'd probably see 10% to 20% or more increase in performance compared to DX11... or at least that's what they say, we'll see when the BF4 patch comes. Again, I'd rather have TW3 itself optimized to run well on all hardware.

- PhysX... let's see... The software version of it, that in games with PhysX you can use on non-nV systems, is purposefully hobbled with the only goal being boosting nV GPU sales (which we may not like, but is an OK thing to do in capitalism). Also, there are a bunch of alternatives, from Havoc to open source ones like Bullet. In the end, Physx does look nice and could be considered worth it in some situations, but it's in essence a vendor-centric sales tool.

So CDP, please, less locked technologies and more goodness that everyone can enjoy.

PhysX also has the advantage of getting you support from Nvidia. I think that this helps CD Prjekt leveraging some of the work.

I don't think the open-source Bullet has the same level of maturity as PhysX/Havok does it? Also, does Bullet support consoles?

Top Bottom