Will TW3 have AMD-specific tech?

+
Cormacolindor said:
The difference is that PhysX doesn't work on AMD.

This is what Mantle is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(API)
Mantle is just a graphics API like D3D (DirectX). DirectX 11 works perfect on both AMD hardware and Nvidia graphic cards. PhysX on the other hand is a different story PhysX is a physics engine which works with DirectX. But is limited to Nvidia GPU's unless you make it work on CPU's as well.

I have a feeling Mantle will become like Glide. The good thing Mantle does is that it allows for more draw calls. But I am willing to be Microsoft will not stand for this and update DirectX to do this.

Aver

Forum veteran
Parachrist said:
And one more thing about Tress FX and PhysX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpW6kPBnyQ4

Alice's hair doesn't use PhysX. It's custom technology made by Spicy Horse.

If two sides just try to convince each other then the result would only be shame for both sides. on the other hand if they explain logically and at the same time try to learn from each other, that would be a complete different matter.

try to use phrases like " I think . . . because . . . " instead of saying " It's . . . "

At the end of the day, the game is going to look great & play great no matter what Brand Card you own.

PhsyX doesn't really add that much, regardless it is available to AMD users but it just uses the CPU resources.
Mantle is an unknown entity, it might be brilliant, it might end up being pointless.

Regardless, The Witcher 2 is one of the best looking RPG's ever (I'd rate it as one of the best looking games in general) & even though they did have extra Nvidia stuff, it ran great & looked great no matter the Brand & that will be converted across to The Witcher 3.

If you're going to upgrade, wait for the next AMD/Nvidia generation & then get whatever is the best Price/Performance option, especially if money is a big issue for you. Don't worry too much about whether there'll be Wolf Fur or Mantle support, most of this stuff is unimportant side-stuff anyway.

Daverid said:
At the end of the day, the game is going to look great & play great no matter what Brand Card you own.

PhsyX doesn't really add that much, regardless it is available to AMD users but it just uses the CPU resources.
Mantle is an unknown entity, it might be brilliant, it might end up being pointless.

Regardless, The Witcher 2 is one of the best looking RPG's ever (I'd rate it as one of the best looking games in general) & even though they did have extra Nvidia stuff, it ran great & looked great no matter the Brand & that will be converted across to The Witcher 3.

If you're going to upgrade, wait for the next AMD/Nvidia generation & then get whatever is the best Price/Performance option, especially if money is a big issue for you. Don't worry too much about whether there'll be Wolf Fur or Mantle support, most of this stuff is unimportant side-stuff anyway.

The wolf fur is certainly not unimportant. It looks AWESOME. I just want AMD users to have something of their own. AMD are no longer underdogs and their recent cards prove that. I also don't care if PhysX is better, it doesn't work on AMD which is why I'd like to see TressFX in TW3.

Aver

Forum veteran
eskiMoe said:
You know. I always though PC vs console war was sad but this is just tragic..

PC master race is better at everything. Even at flaming each other! ;)

Cormacolindor said:
The wolf fur is certainly not unimportant. It looks AWESOME. I just want AMD users to have something of their own. AMD are no longer underdogs and their recent cards prove that. I also don't care if PhysX is better, it doesn't work on AMD which is why I'd like to see TressFX in TW3.

But the Wolf Fur is unimportant... Does it make the Gameplay better? Does it improve the Story somehow? Does it improve the Artstyle or Atmosphere? Nope. It's just an extra unnecessary graphical feature, exactly like TressFX.

Even PhysX in the Arkham Games is unnecessary, a few papers flying about & smoke on the ground parting as you walk through it doesn't make the core game any better. They're all just neat little side features, nothing more.

Daverid said:
But the Wolf Fur is unimportant... Does it make the Gameplay better? Does it improve the Story somehow? Does it improve the Artstyle or Atmosphere? Nope. It's just an extra unnecessary graphical feature, exactly like TressFX.

Even PhysX in the Arkham Games is unnecessary, a few papers flying about & smoke on the ground parting as you walk through it doesn't make the core game any better. They're all just neat little side features, nothing more.

Visuals are very important in a game, whether you like it or not. Both graphics and art style matter equally and yes, things like this make games better in general.

You said that the wolf fur looks great. But it looks fantastic thanks to PhysX. And CDPR cant change that. Blame engineers in AMD company, beacause they are not able to do anything similar. And W3 looks great even when there are no wolfs in picture;)

Cormacolindor said:
Visuals are very important in a game, whether you like it or not. Both graphics and art style matter equally and yes, things like this make games better in general.

Visuals are contextually important, but we're talking about really minor stuff here. There is ONE video game that uses TressFX. The Witcher 3 will be the first game ever to have this Wolf Fur stuff. Is The Witcher 2 any worse off because it doesn't have these features? Is The Witcher 1 an inferior game because it (Graphically speaking) looks worse then The Witcher 2? No, hell no.

Ugh, I've really tried to be respectful this whole thread, but this is kind of getting silly. If you really think Graphics are this important, if you really think these extra features are important, then you should be prepared to fork out extra money for a Card that has said features. The game is going to look fantastic regardless of which Brand of GPU you use, if you want the extra features, be prepared to pay for it, chances are there won't be specific AMD Tech but it'll probably be many months before we find out officially.

Any Brand individual tech is a joke and a gimmick. When will you understand that?
You think real world physics isn't possible without nVidia's PhysX? Well you clearly haven't played Crysis then.
Even better hair rendering is possible in engine provided the gimmicks are outta the way. Geez guys, what is wrong with you.

Mod:post edited, no need to call people names.

Cormacolindor said:
The difference is that PhysX doesn't work on AMD.

This is what Mantle is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(API)

There has been no official announcement of Mantle, and no details have been announced yet. The official announcement is supposed to happen this week. It is possible that it will be a closed system in which only qualified developers will receive full specifications.

Only GPU PhysX does not work on AMD hardware. Neither will Mantle work on anything except AMD GCN hardware.

Nope. There will be no "AMD Specific" tech, so far what I've seen is games which announce they are using Nvidia tech, the engineers from Nvidia are helping the devs optimize the game and they're doing a good job might I add.

And exactly what is AMD Specific tech anyway? I can't think of anything(inb4 TressFX). Have no idea about what hair solution they will use but TressFX sure isn't viable if it kills your fps to render hair for 1 character(Tomb Raider).

Top Bottom