Help me to make my first steps in strategy games

+
Help me to make my first steps in strategy games

I realized that the older I get, the less reflexes I have. I'm totally bad at playing FPS or fightning games, even when I try hard.

However, while losing a lot of DEX I leveled up a lot in INT and CUN, and I would like to try that in good strategy games.

I played Civ4, 5 and XCOM (really enjoyed the later). I played the first Command & Conquer when I was a kid and started Empire: Total War years ago, but had other interests in mind and gave up.

Now that I have time and peace of mind, I'm looking for a list of good strategy games, turn-based or real time, but I would appreciate above all a list of games including a gentle and comprehensive "learning curve".

I WANT TO MAKE WAR, HELP ME

Company of Heroes was my first strategy game, and I enjoyed it very much. WWII game based loosely on the Band of Brothers miniseries.

Husbando plays ceaseless hours of Crusader Kings II, but I don't think it's easy. Medieval dynasty building.

Lords of the Realm is the perfect intro to strategy games. It's easy to grasp, has both RTS battles and turn-based management. It's also very charming. Age of Wonders series by contrast has a steep learning curve and complex mechanics. People debate which one is the best. Also has a lot of mod support. The Guild is an interesting one that I had a hard time getting into, but I liked the setting and map layout as it was different than your typical strategy game. Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper are also good. Freedom Force vs. The third Reich is another offbeat title that I only played an hour or so.

Oldies but goodies:
-Starcraft and its expansion Broodwar (this is basically the Doom/Quake of RTS)
-Warcraft 3 and the Frozen Throne Expansion
-Age of Empires 2

You might want to try out Heroes of Might and Magic 3, it's more about planing, managing resources and leveling up your units. It's notorious for the "just one more turn.. oh shit, it's 5 AM!!!" syndrome.

And as Velada rightfully pointed out Company of Heroes is quite good. A game with very similar gameplay is Warhammer: Dawn of War.

I recommend Company of Heroes too and World in Conflict. From historical games Age of Empires 3. Fantasy ones...Divinity Dragon Commander is only one newer I recall and well Stracraft 2. It has really well done campaing. I also recommend both Warhammer 40k Dawn of War(new is quite different but I loved both). From older ones I could recommnend Blitzkrieg(1 and 2), Homeworld, Civilization 3 and really old but good one, Panzer Commander 2.

Last edited:
Husbando plays ceaseless hours of Crusader Kings II, but I don't think it's easy. Medieval dynasty building.

Husbando has good tastes.

Going to throw out Civ 5 for a newer one. Low difficulty is very forgiving and there is a huge modding base.

Apart from all the good RTS's already mentioned, like Company of Heroes and the Dawn of War series, I had fun with Age of Empires II and Age of Mythology as a kid.

You of course know of XCOM EU/EW, so you probably also know of the older XCOM games. Other turn-based strategy games I can recommend:

- Age of Wonders (played the first only)
- Warlock: Master of the Arcane
- King's Bounty. Actually the forefather of many TBS games (including HoMM) but I think the combat grids are way too limiting.

There have been a few strategy/RPG hybrids coming out that represent both genres just fine. Some notable examples:

- Expeditions: Conquistador. Tough turn-based strategy game with serious decision making. Puts XCOM EU to shame.
- Blackguards. Another tough turn-based strategy game, set in the Dark Eye RPG universe.
- The Banner Saga. An interesting story-book experience with slow, hard hitting turn-based combat.

and a classic:
- King of Dragon Pass. Very different from your typical strategy game but demands intense understanding.

Finally, and you may not have thought about this, many cRPG's feature truly excellent turn-based combat, rivaling that of many turn-based strategy games. For instance:

- Fallout 1 & 2
- Fallout Tactics (actually a strategy game)
- Temple of Elemental Evil
- Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment although this one is less combat oriented).
- Wasteland 2
- Shadowrun Returns (specially Dragonfall)
and from what I hear, Divinity Original Sin.

I personally prefer micromanaging over handling enormous armies, and these smaller scale battles lend themselves very well for very deep and intense tactical reasoning and planning.

You might want to try out Heroes of Might and Magic 3, it's more about planing, managing resources and leveling up your units. It's notorious for the "just one more turn.. oh shit, it's 5 AM!!!" syndrome.

I cannot agree more about this! HoMM3 is one of my all-time favourite games. It's bloody difficult (too difficult for me to play without... er... "help" from the map editor; but it's so much fun and I still play it from time to time. Graphics wise it has aged beautifully too.

Top Bottom