Platform Discussion Thread

+

Which API do you think CP 2077 will use?

• Total voters
Snowflakez;n10533232 said:
I'm all for more games being released for Linux in general, so I have absolutely no problems with this - especially given the fact that Linux's userbase has been growing in recent years and months. I don't mind if it takes them a little longer to release the game if it means a mostly-unserviced portion of the market can finally get their hands on AAA titles.

It would not necessarily affect the development time of the game, especially not if the port was outsourced to another company like Feral Interactive. But even for an in-house port, it may be a matter of hiring a few more people. I recall reading it somewhere that the Linux port of Dying Light was basically made by one person, but I am not sure if that is correct. Although the downside is that Techland seem to have received more bad PR for the low quality Linux port than CDPR did for the lack of one for Witcher 3.

sv3672;n10533272 said:
It would not necessarily affect the development time of the game, especially not if the port was outsourced to another company like Feral Interactive. But even for an in-house port, it may be a matter of hiring a few more people. I recall reading it somewhere that the Linux port of Dying Light was basically made by one person, but I am not sure if that is correct. Although the downside is that Techland seem to have received more bad PR for the low quality Linux port than CDPR did for the lack of one for Witcher 3.

This is a double-edged sword for developers. Oftentimes if a developer feels like reaching out and giving Linux a port of their game they go to the wrong production houses to do it. If companies would take time to at least vet the production house's record before green lighting them to port their game the atmosphere would be different. Linux gamers know what a good port looks like, and they WILL complain about it if the port is particularly lackluster. This has lead to developers blaming the Linux gamer base instead of blaming the production house they used for their port like they should.

Finishing my PC upgrade today. Will post a picture when it's done, it's going to look pretty awesome. I snagged an 8700K and a GTX 1080! Woohoo. I've been waiting for this for ages.

I'm hoping it's enough to run 2077 at medium settings, 1080p, at above 100-120 FPS.

Snowflakez;n10552362 said:
I snagged an 8700K and a GTX 1080!
homer.gif

Snowflakez;n10552362 said:
Finishing my PC upgrade today. Will post a picture when it's done, it's going to look pretty awesome. I snagged an 8700K and a GTX 1080! Woohoo. I've been waiting for this for ages. I'm hoping it's enough to run 2077 at medium settings, 1080p, at above 100-120 FPS.

Congrats on the upgrade!

Playing on PC as I just bought a new build to replace my current PC of 4 years.

My new rig will have:
- Intel i5 7500 3.4GHz Quad Core
- 8GB DDR4-2133 Ram
- 6GB Nvidia GTX 1060 OC

Massive upgrade from my current rig which played Witcher 3 on max settings at 1080p at a decent 30-35 frames in demanding parts and 40-50 in the no so demanding parts.

I also plan on buying what ever collectors edition they announce.

I'm going to be on PC as well, went and bought a prebuilt PC, HP Omen, thanks to the insane prices on video cards.

i7-6700k 4ghz Quad
16bg DDR4
GTX 1080 8 GB

Bad news, my fancy new PC's AIO CPU watercooler crapped out on me. Right after installing it. Crazy grinding/revving noise.

Sent it back. Sticking with a fan. :( It'll be cheaper and more efficient, but I'll lose out on some of the fancy lights.

walkingdarkly;n10576942 said:
I'm going to be on PC as well, went and bought a prebuilt PC, HP Omen, thanks to the insane prices on video cards.

i7-6700k 4ghz Quad
16bg DDR4
GTX 1080 8 GB

Nice! Pretty similar to mine. Hopefully we can actually run 2077 on 1080s and don't need to upgrade to NVIDIA's next generation, which will inevitably be priced terribly as well.

Snowflakez;n10577152 said:
Nice! Pretty similar to mine. Hopefully we can actually run 2077 on 1080s and don't need to upgrade to NVIDIA's next generation, which will inevitably be priced terribly as well.

Yeah, it's interesting to see what the requirements for 2077 will be and it's gonna be terrifying to see the price on video cards is going to be next year...unless Nvidia and AMD do something by then but I doubt they will.

First post on the forums here. I'm pretty damn excited about this game especially after I was introduced to this company with, "The Witcher III: Wild Hunt." I typically play on Playstation 4 but I do have a PC that I built that I might try this on. Can anyone recommend the PC version of The Witcher to me? Thanks!

TheKro16;n10584202 said:
First post on the forums here. I'm pretty damn excited about this game especially after I was introduced to this company with, "The Witcher III: Wild Hunt." I typically play on Playstation 4 but I do have a PC that I built that I might try this on. Can anyone recommend the PC version of The Witcher to me? Thanks!

The PC version is, in my opinion, the best way to play. Not because "CONSOLE PEASANTRY," but because you can adjust the graphical settings higher or lower to suit your machine's power, download mods that change both gameplay and graphics drastically and just generally customize your experience more.

Plus, if you buy via GoG (Why wouldn't you, dummy?), it's DRM-free. I haven't played consoles in a while so I don't know if "ownership" is still a thing (I heard some shenanigans about always-online connectivity or the inability to sell used games or something), but it absolutely is on GoG. Download it to your PC, play offline, move the installer to a new PC, play it there too... Eassssyy. So, I do think it's work picking up, but it's ultimately up to you.

Snowflakez;n10584802 said:
Plus, if you buy via GoG (Why wouldn't you, dummy?), it's DRM-free.

Not that I have anything against buying on GOG, but the game is DRM free regardless of where it is bought. Or at least I know it is on Steam. I recall it was also released on Origin and/or Uplay, but very few people seem to play it there, and I am not sure about the DRM situation on those platforms.

sv3672;n10585162 said:
Not that I have anything against buying on GOG, but the game is DRM free regardless of where it is bought. Or at least I know it is on Steam. I recall it was also released on Origin and/or Uplay, but very few people seem to play it there, and I am not sure about the DRM situation on those platforms.

Steam is DRM. It's just not "Additional" DRM.

Snowflakez;n10585302 said:

Indeed, every time my modem has connection problems, I am completely unable to play Steam games.

Very frustrating.

It is not on topic, but at least for The Witcher 3, that is not really the case. You only need the Steam account to download a copy of the game, but you also need an account to download from GOG's servers. Either way, once the game is on your hard drive, it is yours, you can keep playing it even in the case the account was lost for some reason. Witcher3.exe does not need any client to run, Steam or not. It will also continue to work if the entire "The Witcher 3" folder is copied to another PC where Steam is not even installed. Whether a game works that way or is tied to the client, it is up to the developer or publisher to decide. I would think Cyberpunk 2077 will stick with the same approach if the game is released on Steam, although nothing is certain of course.

Snowflakez;n10556652 said:
As promised, this is my new build. Yay.

Oh, my gods it's-like-Christmas-and-New-Years-all-wrapped-up-into-one. :D

sv3672;n10585162 said:

There was a time that I refused to use Steam in any way, shape or form. Now, I have to admit, its DRM is not really intrusive at all. Most times, my performance is wholly unaffected by Steam running in the background. It's just the forced updates that I really don't like.

GOG is still my preference, just because I can download and save the actual installation packages and used them to roll back if I need to. I play almost exclusively single-player everything. Don't really care for features that are always popping up in my face to tell me my friend's brother's roommate just purchased a new weapon skin in CS:GO...:confused:

(But on the whole, I don't need any more games. I have games in one library or another that I've never even installed. Stopped buying games over a year ago. [Except for sales under $5.00, Freeman:GW and maybe the Horizons expansion for Elite. :p])

I always prefer to play on PC when I can. It may be more prone to glitches and issues, but I like being able to tweak things into a place I'm happy with. I guess we can talk about PCs having more power...but really, consoles are starting to get really nice in terms of graphics and performance. The ability to just plug-and-play is also a major consideration. (As the finances grow tighter and tighter, I am considering that I'll likely not be able to upgrade my PC meaningfully for CP when it comes out. Therefore...I'm forced to consider the possibility...)

Last edited:
sv3672;n10585462 said:
It is not on topic, but at least for The Witcher 3, that is not really the case. You only need the Steam account to download a copy of the game, but you also need an account to download from GOG's servers. Either way, once the game is on your hard drive, it is yours, you can keep playing it even in the case the account was lost for some reason. Witcher3.exe does not need any client to run, Steam or not. It will also continue to work if the entire "The Witcher 3" folder is copied to another PC where Steam is not even installed. Whether a game works that way or is tied to the client, it is up to the developer or publisher to decide. I would think Cyberpunk 2077 will stick with the same approach if the game is released on Steam, although nothing is certain of course.

If that's true, that's interesting. I was not aware of that. That would be extremely strange, though. Literally every single Steam game I have requires the client to be open to be played, even if it's in offline mode. That is, in and of itself, DRM. If TW3 is different, props to both Valve and CDPR for allowing it. It really should be more clearly stated on the store page, because that's a huge selling point if true.

Regardless, GoG has no such requirements, for any of their games, even if those games have DRM on other platforms (like Steam).

I don't think it's all that off topic. It is related to platforms, after all, just happens to be one specific one for now.
SigilFey;n10585842 said:
Oh, my gods it's-like-Christmas-and-New-Years-all-wrapped-up-into-one. :D

There was a time that I refused to use Steam in any way, shape or form. Now, I have to admit, its DRM is not really intrusive at all. Most times, my performance is wholly unaffected by Steam running in the background. It's just the forced updates that I really don't like.

I actually have no problem with DRM, in theory. As long as it provides value, and companies like GoG continue to offer DRM-free versions when I want them (not for every game, of course... but most of the ones I enjoy - I too am primarily a singleplayer gamer), it can stick around. It's when it's a pointless addition that offers me nothing that I get irritated with it - like with Ubisoft games that require Uplay on top of Steam. *shudder* Uplay does nothing Steam doesn't already do, and actually does less most of the time. Plus, nobody uses it by comparison

Steam offers me deals, achievement functionality, a marketplace, a robust community system where I can quickly get help from others or discuss a given game, software and video downloads, the steam workshop and -- of course -- the Friends and chat system, which I use on a daily basis. Valve, for all of their problems, is committed to providing the most value they possibly can to their users. I respect the heck out of that, especially because it's not like they have any real competition to force them to do so. They could just sit on Steam for the next 10 years and, unless some scrappy upstart tried to take them on, their income would remain high.

Top Bottom