I woul like to see something Adult like This in Cyberpunk 2077

+
I woul like to see something Adult like This in Cyberpunk 2077

First of all, please forgive me if I'm being completely ignorant to post this.
I know nothing about 2020, how is the world, how it Works, etc.

The Cyberpunk 2077 teaser and The Witcher brought me here.

So... besides a great/fun fighting system and lot's of exploration, choices, character's interactions, good music, etc. etc., I would love to see something ADULT like this in the game:

So. Can I expect this kind of discussion in the game? Or at least dialogues that go that deep about subjects like power, human relations, etc?

I know it's nothing less than Orwell's 1984 but you know... I do believe games can be deep and discuss interesting topics. I've played some that managed to do it (The Witcher, DEHR, Mass Effect, DAO, Espec Ops: The lines...).
So... I think my question is valid or at least I hope so. :)

Well, thanks.

And right now I was just remembering Geralt discussing power with princess Ada.
I'm looking forward to play TW 2 cause I heard the political side of the story is even more explored than in TW 1.

Still hope they can excel their ability to discuss these topics in Cyberpunk 2077.

When you play TW2 and see how it's soaked with politics and how deep the dialogues are, you should be assured about how CP2077 can deliver this kind of thing.

So... besides a great/fun fighting system and lot's of exploration, choices, character's interactions, good music, etc. etc., I would love to see something ADULT like this in the game

Beside all of this, remain the Cyberpunk lol.
It's not like 1984, yes it's a disopian future, but a "real" one, the 1984 vision is interesting, but honnestly it's too much of a "closed" world, even if the masses are sheep, i doubt they would be happily-enslaved and say thank you.
Cyberpunk just reflect, to an "over-the-top" point, the stupidity of the capitalist system we lives on (adding to it, a lot of reflexion on technologies around us, and the use we do of them), it talk about law, society, criminality, love, hate, well the everyday life.

1984 and Brave New World, are interesting books, but i wouldn't call them "Cyberpunk", in those books, the society is too much closed, but actualy, the point of our system is to make you believe you're free, free to vote for the winners, free to buy a tv, free to go on facebook, free to do whatever you want... but at the same time, FB sells private informations to private groups, they produce cheap Tv series to earn a lot of money without spending that much, etc...
The "unbelievable" thing IMO in 1984 and B.N.W are how everything is under control, you know, it's the same today, with you web IP, your GPS smartphone, etc...
But they gives you the feeling no one is watching you (witch is anyway the case, unless you're a terorist or something like this, they can't put a damn cop behind each civilian), wereas in those books, it's so much closed, i wonder how people agreed with it at the first place.
Because, yes, masses are sheep, but when you try too much to push them, they always reminds you who is in charge (look at the Grece right now, just add some cybernetics in the game, and you got a good cyberpunk setting)

1984 is more a "political" book, if you see what i mean, with an interesting vision but not that much close (excepted for some idea) of our world..
Cyberpunk as a genre is more "urban", you know , it's just survival and being smarter than the guy in front of you, it's closer to our real world.
Sure, you'll have a lot of political view, like in the book "Island on the net", written in 1988, durring the cold war, and somewhere you read "Sticky" doing a almost two pages long speech about how fucked up is our society right now by the capitalist system, who make you use "social words" to call people, but beyond that "curtain" it's just misery and poverty, like we say our world is open to everyone, but people who can't write or read are doomed to stay in the "underground", no one will ever hire them, so that push them toward criminality, etc... (just an example lol), and i was just like "woaw, the guy nailed something", you know, that's the kind of subtle difference i like with cyberpunk, story like the one in 1984 are too much "big evil guy who control everything and everyone know it and lick their boots", it's the same in cyberpunk thought, but it's less "big", there is no "omnipotent power", there are a lot, sometimes corporations makes war to other ones, etc... it's a chaotic world wereas 1984 is a totaly controled society.
Plus, Cyberpunk's heroes are often a bunch of loser, seriously, like in Neuromancer, Case is a depressed guy, who spend his time doing dirty crime and doing drugs, then he gets a "work", but he's totaly sad that he can't do drugs anymore because they cleaned his system and gived him a new liver, in fact i don't even think he really knows what he's doing here for the most part of the books, he just get a job, hacking what people tells him to hack and knows there is a lot of money waiting for him at the end... but it's not that much easy ;).

Well, to make it short, take 1984, add a lot of cybernetics, give drugs to everyone, and send a bus filled with drunken punks with polymere guns there and you'll have a good start of a cyberpunk world lol

Cyberpunk, honnestly is more of a "book" genre than a movie one, often movies are half-assed, or just sucks hard
like, try to read the original Johnny Mnemonic, and look at the movie.
In the book, Johnny is an asshole, who only care about himself and money, who don't hesitate, and don't even have any remorse to give heroin to a dolphin, so he can hack systems instead of Johnny.
In the movie,it's show almost nothing of it, and the fact that they're going to make a serie out of it is prettty scary (but who knows.)

My biggest fear actualy is that CP77 wouldn't be "mature" enought, due to censorship.
Because the violence and human degradation level in the cyberpunk world is something we're not used to see honestly, it's not just gore or "Evil big corporato-political guy"
It's homeless kids playing with toxic waste, drugs, terrorism, police brutality, body parts traffic, conspiracy, every-age prostitution, sick kinks, cyberspace use and abuse, urban riot, violence, murder, black market, suicide, mass murder, nihilism, and a lot of other sick stuff, the list would be loooooong.
Sure there will be a lot of political stuff, but the world in itself (if done according to the roots) will talk more than a long speech, trust me.

Now, if you want to get a hand on some cool Cyberpunk books, i can council those ones, pretty cool to get your first step into the genre.
"Hardwired" by Walter Jon Williams
(I don't know for your language thought, but this book is pretty easy to read, unlike Gibson who can be pretty confusing at time, mostly if your book is traduced, but the story is indeed great.)

The "Sprawl Trilogy" by William Gibson
(It's simple, no Gibson = no cyberpunk, so it's a really important first step into the genre if you wanna have a better view of the cyberpunk world)

Damn, we should make a topic about Cyberpunks books (if there isn't already one).

Games without a deep dialogue don't interest me much, if CP didn't that would suuuuuuck. I trust CDPR though.

"Well, to make it short, take 1984, add a lot of cybernetics, give drugs to everyone, and send a bus filled with drunken punks with polymere guns there and you'll have a good start of a cyberpunk world"

I liked this!
And all this craziness sounds like some serious fun (am I being too nihilist?). :)

Thank you for your insightful answer and all the suggestions.
I have to say I never read Gibson or any of the cyberpunk classics but I'm planning to do it.

And I agree with you that 1984 shares some features and is also a dystopia but it is more about totalitarianism than a cyberpunk world.
Got it now, thanks.

os: who is this character on your profile? Is it from a book, movie or game?

Beside all of this, remain the Cyberpunk lol.

The "Sprawl Trilogy" by William Gibson
(It's simple, no Gibson = no cyberpunk, so it's a really important first step into the genre if you wanna have a better view of the cyberpunk world)

Damn, we should make a topic about Cyberpunks books (if there isn't already one).

If there were one, I'd be in it annoying you :p. Mostly for the Bill Gibson fangeekness. Without Zelazny and Bester, there'd have been no Gibson, who had great ideas, but didn't learn how to write a good book till Idoru...

If there were one, I'd be in it annoying you :p. Mostly for the Bill Gibson fangeekness. Without Zelazny and Bester, there'd have been no Gibson, who had great ideas, but didn't learn how to write a good book till Idoru...

Hehe, no problem :p
No worry, i'm not a fanboy, I just pulled Gibson, because he's classic of the cyberpunk litterature, i reconize i exagerated a bit when saying "no gibson = no cyberpunk", in my mind, it was more like when you want to introduce someone in a music genre, you point him toward the "huge band" so he can have an overall view of the genre, even if those bands are somewhat outdated and there are a lot of better one.
Not saying Gibson is the best, but i think it's a good first step in the cyberpunk world, and the setting is closer to the pnp's one.

Anyway, if you know some cool cyberpunk books, don't mind to share them with us :)

...Bill Gibson? lol

Right. Neuromancer. Multiple award winning novel. Shaped the genre. Sky over the port, etc. Badly written.

Of course.

What WERE those Nebula, Hugo and PKD juries -thinking-?! They should totally have consulted you. To give the triple crown, first time ever, to such a poor novel. Madness.

Without Heinlein, no Zelazny? Without Verne or ER Burroughs, no Heinlein? So thank goodness for Tarzan or we wouldn't have Morgan Blackhand?

As far as I know, Gibson was as much or more influenced by Pynchon and Hammett. For whatever that's worth.

No Gibson = no Cyberpunk. Fairly accurate. No cyberpunk as we know it now. I think R. Tal wouldn't disagree. Certainly without Gibson, no cyberspace. That street-nasty, enveloping tech, future culture as now, yeah, Gibson did it best. And changed fiction doing it.

Animalfather, know that I didn't want to call you a mocker. I just wanted to say you're funny.
Mocker apparently is something bad, means "arrogant" among other things. My English is far from perfect.

I mean, not that I think arrogance is always bad. If a person is exceptionally great, brilliant, etc, arrogance is bearable.

And I'm not saying you're not great so you can't be arrogant. No.

You know what I'm trying to say. That thread of yours made me laugh, that's all.
And mocker seems to have a very negative meaning, not what I meant.
Not that I think you're all hurt, etc.
Just wanted to make everything clear. :D

ps: don't be scared.

I really need some sleep.

"When you play TW2 and see how it's soaked with politics and how deep the dialogues are, you should be assured about how CP2077 can deliver this kind of thing."

Yeah, I have this feeling. Almost finishing TW 1, thanks.

Right. Neuromancer. Multiple award winning novel. Shaped the genre. Sky over the port, etc. Badly written.

Of course.

What WERE those Nebula, Hugo and PKD juries -thinking-?! They should totally have consulted you. To give the triple crown, first time ever, to such a poor novel. Madness.

Without Heinlein, no Zelazny? Without Verne or ER Burroughs, no Heinlein? So thank goodness for Tarzan or we wouldn't have Morgan Blackhand?

As far as I know, Gibson was as much or more influenced by Pynchon and Hammett. For whatever that's worth.

No Gibson = no Cyberpunk. Fairly accurate. No cyberpunk as we know it now. I think R. Tal wouldn't disagree. Certainly without Gibson, no cyberspace. That street-nasty, enveloping tech, future culture as now, yeah, Gibson did it best. And changed fiction doing it.

First, you got my tone all wrong. Happens a lot. When he was a genius with ideas trying (poorly IMHO) to imitate the great pulp detective writers, he was diluting his awesome. When he found his voice, that's when he became good. A cover band playing awesome reworkings of other peoples songs can be good, but when they get to making their own songs...

Oh, yeah, awards ceremonies. No one undeserving or not-perfect ever gets a Hugo, or a Grammy, or a Golden Globe, or even a Daytime Emmy. These are known facts, so I'll just crawl back into my Sard-O-Shelter 5000 and wait out the apocalypse :p

By the way, I posted that first one just after finishing Damnation Alley by Zelazny. No post-Apocalyptic anti-heroes, no Cyberpunk. Check.

Oh, and "shaped the genre"... Yay... Woo... The Vietnam war set the tone for international relations for the next 50 years and more, so I guess that was an epic masterpiece too?

Look, you liked his work more than I. To you it's sacred, to me, he wrote some good books that were partially hobbled by awful prose. Then he ditched that and got really good, and I was pleasantly surprised. Most authors get on a good thing and just flog it to death, but he adapted, saw his own flaws and improved, and I applaud that. To try not to acknowledge that he ever had weaknesses it to question all he chose to change. DON'T QUESTION YOUR GOD! Rule one I believe :p

Oh, and if it's not coming across in the content, I'm actually saying all this in my mind in calm and friendly tones. I've just started working in the entertainment industry again, so I imagine my blunt might be showing a tad. Hard to take the time to be diplomatic inside a truck full of audio.

Oh, and that whole "One guy that changed everything" concept is linked directly to the "Great people" view of history, of which there are currently very few credible proponents. If you're gonna like sci fi, do try to keep up with the advance of human knowledge, yeah?

So, quick checklist: Your argument went: Awards = relevant; then rephrasing my own statement about how there is no beginning or end to art, just constant evolution and trying to bludgeon me with it; Point out the people he imitated poorly, thus making his writing less than perfect; And finally that if you take one arbitrary link from a long evolutionary chain it would fail to have got to the exact same point, which evolutionary biology, physics, most humanities and possibly other fields I'm unaware of rejected sometime between 1950 and last decade. So naming that one link "The great One" is more than a tad optimistic.

Still, glad to know you're trying, but you'll have to try a lot harder. Maybe if you think it through before typing, you'll get me... Good luck!

Hehe, no problem :p
No worry, i'm not a fanboy, I just pulled Gibson, because he's classic of the cyberpunk litterature, i reconize i exagerated a bit when saying "no gibson = no cyberpunk", in my mind, it was more like when you want to introduce someone in a music genre, you point him toward the "huge band" so he can have an overall view of the genre, even if those bands are somewhat outdated and there are a lot of better one.
Not saying Gibson is the best, but i think it's a good first step in the cyberpunk world, and the setting is closer to the pnp's one.

Anyway, if you know some cool cyberpunk books, don't mind to share them with us :)

...Bill Gibson? lol

He's called that in 2020 in a quote :p

I read all of Gibson and liked it. Brilliant ideas and plots and settings, but the Dash Hammet wannabe thing grated, like a great masseuse with a hook for a hand. Still, loved the genre, and loved his work.

One day though, I picked up a little book by Neal Stephenson called Snowcrash. Got no awards I'm aware of, but got his career rolling, and, to my personal taste, takes a flying dive-bomb poopy on everything else written prior with the words "Cyber" and/or "Punk" attached.

Seriously, those who haven't read it, read it, cry tears of joy, then send your questions about the relevance of literary awards to:
Sardukhar
C/O The Floating Doom Fortress,
International Waters.

/snark

Ah...Neuromancer won ALL THREE of the big Sci fi awards. At once. First time that's ever been done. By anyone. Not some Daytime Emmy. You compared a previously unheard of achievement, the highest in the field, with being a..good..daytime TV show? And suggested it was undeserved?

No.

Simply, no.

Snowcrash was pretty good. It was a parody to a point, and it was a parody of a genre that Neuromancer established. I like parodies, too.

But it was not, to quote Time magazine, "There is no way to overstate how radical Gibson’s first and best novel was when it first appeared."

One guy or girl does, sometimes, change everything. That's one of the definitions of genius, in fact: changing your field from what it was to what it is now. Peter Higgs, Leon Lederman, John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Sun Tzu, etc.

We all stand on our predecessors shoulders, but sometimes we use them as a jumping off point to somewhere very much higher indeed.

Top Bottom