CDPR addresses recent departure and morale rumours

+
As they said, people come and go on major projects (like creating a game).
Sometimes they feel the need to change jobs.
Sometimes they just want to live elsewhere for any number of reasons.
Sometimes they're unhappy with something related to work.
Sometimes they get an offer they can't refuse elsewhere.
Sometimes they just need a break or a total change of career paths.

There are as many reasons to leave (and stay) as there are employees.

that is very brave of them to openly comment on such a subject. on one hand, you can look at that and say"it's all al sugar and rainbows, but definitely not "neck deep in sheet with no shovel" as some dwarf said.

however you can look a this as a way to reasure stock holders, that everything is a okay.

if i had shares of cdpr, i would have hold on to them at least until the trailers of cp77. the gwent campeign looks really nice, and has that cdpr stamp of quality. so i'm quite positiive about cp77 turning out at theleast very cool.

just to make it clear, i like the open-ess and honesty of cdpr regarding this, the theft (hacking) and think it's very trust building to share their customer community with that sort of info.

much appreciated

:hatsoff:

metalmaniac21;n9700461 said:
They fucked it up a bit. CDPR should've stick to either CP2077 or TW3 first instead of announcing these two(I'd prefer Witcher because show must go on!). We didn't know anything about Fallout 4 besides rumors before the announce. But we DO KNOW there's a Cyberpunk hiding in shadows, we had this stream of info about game and plans. It's a big difference, you know. Once Witcher retook the attention throne (and later most of the staff, postponing CP2077 for the first time), Cyberpunk was gone from the radar and most of us went like "WHAT?".

Perhaps CDPR didn't fuck it up by showing Cyberpunk 2077 too early. Many people had no idea what Cyberpunk 2077 was all about. The teaser trailer from 2013 helped quite a bit in introducing the game to new people. Perhaps it was good to show it early because now people now "hey Cyberpunk 2077 will be made by those Witcher 3 guys, holy shit it will be awesome".

Sardukhar;n9700541 said:
WHO TOLD YOU?!

Marcin Iwinski has one creepy yet friendly way of talking, you can see that he is sensible to human feelings and yet he tends to like power. Typical behavior of a sensitive yet ruthless villain. How did I know that Marcin Iwinski is a sex dungeon master? I didn't. That was just a guess based on my fantasies (NON SEXUAL MORE LIKE ROMANTIC).

Guest 4149880

As long as there is a vision for the game that's being created, the few people leaving shouldn't impact the games development of almost 400 people making the game that much. Its when that vision is lost is when games suffer.

Its not like CDPR didn't struggle along the way of making the Witcher games and they come out alright. And I'm sure things happened behind the scenes no one knows about then too. Everyone's need to over analysis what they don't understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a teacher, I have found that not telling people in advance what we'll be covering/discussing ahead of time keeps interest. Sometimes it's very difficult to stay silent about it when it's something I'm passionate about, but I remember the disinformation of the internet is at the fingertips of my younglings' hands. If I say it too far in advance, I guarantee about 35% of the class will look at something that is probably wrong on Google, and it's alot harder to correct than to teach anew.

In my head (granted, it can be a frightening, disorganized mess) the goal is similar here. If they show something that people really really take a liking to, that's fine and good until later in development when that system and another one just don't mesh and make an enjoyable experience, and it needs to be altered drastically or even completely omitted. Then they go through alot of heartache getting people on board with the new UI or whatever they changed. It just makes sense, when you REALLY REALLY think about it to remain silent about most everything until they KNOW it is an outstanding piece of work.

In regards to the losses of some staff... That's normal. I just wish people didn't have to try and drag the name of the company through the mud, that's slander. There are just shitty supervisors out there, I've had a number of them myself. I had a wrench thrown at my head at a dealership, (I didn't stick around long after that) I was forced into doing things way way way outside the scope of my job description when I worked for a treatment facility (I was a counselor, and I wound up doing construction in the basement of the group home.) I'm saying this because those were great great companies to work for, I just had some asshat in charge who'd never done my job before. If it's something you can learn to live with, do so. If you can't, you find something else (It was a good sized wrench, I think 22mm head) Normal ebb and flow. In and out.

I guess I don't know if everything I spoke on fits into this thread, but it just kinda flowed out through my keyboard... cheers, peers!

Last edited:
metalmaniac21;n9699291 said:
Losing a person on an important post like level designer or a programmer at least postpones the release date for no good reason since the newcomer has to learn anew or just reinvent another unfinished cyberwheel.

I just want to say how it looks from my experience. I work in creative industry and I'm on a Lead level. I spent 3 years in the company I work right now and all is great - the atmosphere, people, pay rates... and even though everything is fine I feel like I need to change my workplace and I will do so pretty soon. Why? Because I need some new challenges, new energy - some kind of refreshment. There's even a theory in that industry that says you should change your wokrplace every two or three years to maintain your creativity, and I think it applies in that case as well. Also, when I'll finally decide to leave the company i work for, somebody from Senior level will replace me. And not only i'm sure there won't be any kind of delays or drops in quality of our work... In fact I think that it might get even better. With fresh mind comes fresh ideas and new quality.

The point is - I wouldn't worry at all about those personnel changes :)

Wonder what it is where they are "constantly reinventing the weel" for, even if it worked well already.

I just hope it doesn't lead to them having to settle for something simple and worse than what they had at some point before because they can't do this for forever, there is a point where they have to say "enough", and in creative work exhaustion might well cause the "fuck it, it's good enough like this" effect. Gettin over or under designed is a real danger here.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n9703011 said:
Wonder what it is where they are "constantly reinventing the weel" for, even if it worked well already.

I just hope it doesn't lead to them having to settle for something simple and worse than what they had at some point before because they can't do this for forever, there is a point where they have to say "enough", and in creative work exhaustion might well cause the "fuck it, it's good enough like this" effect. Gettin over or under designed is a real danger here.

"reinventing the wheel" in other words "innovation", may be simply small improvements over already existing ideas. So "constantly reinventing the wheel" can also be translated to "constant improvement" or "constant innovation". Not everything is litteral grandpa.

janoszebambosze;n9702711 said:
I just want to say how it looks from my experience. I work in creative industry and I'm on a Lead level. I spent 3 years in the company I work right now and all is great - the atmosphere, people, pay rates... and even though everything is fine I feel like I need to change my workplace and I will do so pretty soon. Why? Because I need some new challenges, new energy - some kind of refreshment. There's even a theory in that industry that says you should change your wokrplace every two or three years to maintain your creativity, and I think it applies in that case as well. Also, when I'll finally decide to leave the company i work for, somebody from Senior level will replace me. And not only i'm sure there won't be any kind of delays or drops in quality of our work... In fact I think that it might get even better. With fresh mind comes fresh ideas and new quality. The point is - I wouldn't worry at all about those personnel changes

So how is Cyberpunk 2077 development going?

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9703281 said:
"reinventing the wheel" in other words "innovation", may be simply small improvements over already existing ideas. So "constantly reinventing the wheel" can also be translated to "constant improvement" or "constant innovation". Not everything is litteral grandpa.

I took it to mean that they made something that probably worked but with which they weren't happy for what ever reason and then redesigned it, several times over. This doesn't sound like honing for improvements, but rather trying out different options. "Small improvements" is a bit out of context and scope with "reinventing the wheel".

kofeiiniturpa;n9703321 said:
I took it to mean that they made something that probably worked but with which they weren't happy for what ever reason and then redesigned it, several times over. This doesn't sound like honing for improvements, but rather trying out different options. "Small improvements" is a bit out of context and scope with "reinventing the wheel".

kofeiiniturpa;n9703321 said:
"Small improvements" is a bit out of context and scope with "reinventing the wheel".

Alright, let's ask ourselves. What is "reinventing the wheel"? The answer that most of us can come up with is that it is "innovation" (a word that even appear in the official CDPR statement, so very contextual). Now, does innovation means unique ideas? Yes. Does innovation also means any kind of improvements over those already existing unique ideas? Yes it does.

EDIT: One is a radical innovation and the other is an incremental one.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9703371 said:
Alright, let's ask ourselves. What is "reinventing the wheel"? The answer that most of us can come up with is that it is "innovation" (a word that even appear in the official CDPR statement, so very contextual). Now, does innovation means unique ideas? Yes. Does innovation also means any kind of improvements over those already existing unique ideas? Yes it does in the official meaning of the word "innovation".

But "reinventing the wheel" is NOT synonymous to "innovation".

It's means to finding/achieving it. That's what they say in the message. Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't.

But inspite the risks, I don't really care how many times CDPR reinvents their wheels. If the end product is worth my money and time, all's good. I just wondered what it is they are reinventing the wheel for.

animalfather;n9703461 said:
i like reinventing the wheel. it means its not the witcher witch a cyberpunk skin. which is great.

It can also mean exactly that, depending on the interpretation, reinventing the wheel is not necessarily the best way to describe the creation of something original and unique. Anyway, this statement probably does not tell much about what the game will be like, it is only to reassure people that there are no serious issues with the development.

sv3672;n9704011 said:
It can also mean exactly that, depending on the interpretation, reinventing the wheel is not necessarily the best way to describe the creation of something original and unique. Anyway, this statement probably does not tell much about what the game will be like, it is only to reassure people that there are no serious issues with the development.

Agreed.

I'd like to clarify what "reinventing the wheel" means usually, but also specifically in the games industry:

It's not just innovation or originality, as that's super vague.

It refers to how wheels were a fundamental invention for carts, then cars and so on so forth through time, and yet, they haven't been radically altered despite all that time, materials and dimensions change, but the concept of why it works remains the same.

So what it means is that, specifically in the games industry, which is an industry of projects so complex and risky that most studios can do nothing better than cloning other games or basing most of their design on well tried and true solutions, reinventing the wheel would be daring to question those foundations of design that everyone just takes for granted. It's innovation but about the fundamental pillars on which everything else is based upon.

The vast majority of experienced game designers advice strongly against reinventing the wheel, with arguments such as: wasting too much time that could be used to produce instead of experimenting, the massive risk involved in having 90% of all design decisions of a huge project depend on early decisions that are weird/unusual/unproven, and the danger of messing with core entry-level expectations from people that are based on traditional universal standards that you are not using or reinventing.

TL/DR: Its the high risk, high reward option, of changing the basics that everyone else have been using and are now taken for granted.

well, that is good news, that the game is still in development, and cdprojektred is in good shape, and doing what they do best :)

thanks for the news

Top Bottom