Your Fears For the Game - Combined Thread

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 4149880

Neuronin;n10384582 said:
My fears for the game:

CDPR obviously want the game to appeal to a large audience (like any other developer/publisher).

How far will they go? I don't know, but I fear that the final product will be a heavily watered-down version of the original vision.

Cyberpunk isn't a widely appreciated genre in the first place to watered down from. So when making a video game based on a PnP that the majority will know nothing about. They don't have to water it down to appeal to an audience that doesn't even know what Cyberpunk is, unlike a widely known genre where everyone's knows what it should be.

Obviously, for Cyberpunk 2077 to be the best video game it can be, it might have to change aspects from the PnP because there are elements of both genres that wont always translate well from one to the other, but that's not a bad thing as it would surely be the better option then to simply carry over PnP mechanics to the video game regardless of its ability to work well. CDPR has even stated this.

I fear the game just doesn't stand out from the mass of other mainstream titles in other way than getting some spotlight for being "From the makers of The Witcher 3!!1!" and otherwise it just works like any other game out there with no real distinctive qualities of its own that would stand out, no real innovation or pushing the boundaries or the envelope because it doesn't dare risking it; a similiar mess of visually honed fiddle fuddle and racket and twitching around like all its colleagues and kin. Just part another piece through the grinder trying to achieve attention of the masses.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n10398562 said:
Just part another piece through the grinder trying to achieve attention of the masses.
What?
You're saying the best way to attract attention to your game isn't to copy what everyone else has done?
Senior marketing executives will be shocked to hear that.

I'm afraid we won't be able to customize our camera distance from the main character in Cyberpunk 2077. In Witcher 3, the camera stayed too far away from geralt and I'm not a fan of that, I wish it stayed closer to him.

kofeiiniturpa;n10398562 said:
I fear the game just doesn't stand out from the mass of other mainstream titles in other way than getting some spotlight for being "From the makers of The Witcher 3!!1!" and otherwise it just works like any other game out there with no real distinctive qualities of its own that would stand out, no real innovation or pushing the boundaries or the envelope because it doesn't dare risking it; a similiar mess of visually honed fiddle fuddle and racket and twitching around like all its colleagues and kin. Just part another piece through the grinder trying to achieve attention of the masses.

Well, to be fair, we don't have any other games like this in the genre. And CDPR aren't known for making Bethesda-like games, or Bioware-like games. They only have a single open world title under their belt, so it's tough to say that they've established a trend in that regard.

I don't know, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as far as "standing out" is concerned. They've given me 0 reason to be concerned, everything they have said so far has been nothing but positive (minus this "multiplayer" thing).

Of course, words are cheap, actions and gameplay really matter... But for now, I'd say that fear is unfounded until we know more. Still reasonable to have.

Speaking of multiplayer... One of my main fears is that the game's multiplayer encroaches on the singleplayer experience too much, either through the diversion of resources or by directly making it an inferior experience down the road (GTA Online). The most I want to see is either a Dark Souls-like, unintrusive, opt-in system or a social hub. Nothing more. CDPR knows better than anyone they can make a stupid amount of money by not following the "GAEMS R SO XPENSIVE 2 MAKE AND NEED MICROTRANSACTIONS AND MULTIPLAAAYER TO SUCED" trend.

Snowflakez;n10400352 said:
Well, to be fair, we don't have any other games like this in the genre. And CDPR aren't known for making ... Bioware-like games.

Only if you look the setting and theme alone. Otherwise we have plenty of more or less open world (non-fantasy) games with and without "RPG elements" that all (inspite of those elements) play almost indistinguishably alike when the big picture is concerned. GTA's, Far Cry's, nuFallouts, Watch Dogs', Sleeping Dogs, Saint's Row's, Mass Effects, etc, etc, etc. Slapping extra amounts of mohawk haircuts and electric limbs and a bit of CYOA stuff won't make a big difference just like they wouldn't fundamentally change the other games I mentioned.

And it's not true that CDPR isn't known for making games like Bioware. Their games (aside from Gwent and Witcher adventure game) have all been bleeding images to what Bioware has been doing for ages, and almost as if telling them "this is how it's supposed to be done" and giggling when Bioware goes down the drain by force feeding their rainbow agenda among other things.

I've not thrown the axe in the well foir CP2077 (if I had, I'd not be posting here), but I just have this nasty itch on the back of my head telling me that there is no reason CDPR would make anything radically or even somewhat different from the other games of this ilk. I don't believe there is enough drive to actually do anything different (different enough) that would put this game in it's own league rather than trying to outdo or even match Bethesda, Bioware, Rockstar and the like. I'm not interested in that here. I want a good Cyberpunk RPG that does it's best at being an cRPG with heavily PnP inspired roots, not a copycat of the all the competition but with a slight twist (like Quantum Breaks time bending) that's supposed to make it different.

Snowflakez;n10400352 said:
I don't know, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as far as "standing out" is concerned. They've given me 0 reason to be concerned, everything they have said so far has been nothing but positive (minus this "multiplayer" thing).

But for now, I'd say that fear is unfounded until we know more. Still reasonable to have.

They also said that Witcher 3 was gong to "revolutionize the RPG genre as we know it"... It did nothing of the sort of course. Talk is indeed cheap, walking the walk is much harder.

I don't think any fears are unfounded before we see what is acually going on. The market speaks for itself. All (or most) of the job adds that I've seen from CDPR have called for understanding of market trends and those trends are fundamentally fucked when it comes to RPGs.

Suhiira;n10399162 said:
What?
You're saying the best way to attract attention to your game isn't to copy what everyone else has done?
Senior marketing executives will be shocked to hear that.

Those poor buggers.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10399732 said:
I'm afraid we won't be able to customize our camera distance from the main character in Cyberpunk 2077. In Witcher 3, the camera stayed too far away from geralt and I'm not a fan of that, I wish it stayed closer to him.
Yeah, the more customization in terms of placement, size, turning on/off UI elements the better. Same with camera controls and remapping keys/buttons. No two people like the exact same UI/control scheme and being able to customize it would go a LONG way toward customer satisfaction.

Shoot, my fear is that it will be a pay to win, now so for CD Projekt Red has been one of the few triple A gaming companies that seem to have the players in mind when making a game.

If they did have some micro transactions for skins for guns or cars I wouldn't mind that, In fact I'd be more open to micro transactions if they had a model set up like Warframe, where as everything in the game is attainable in some way. So if they have skins or form of cosmetics or decor, then give me a way to get it in game by spending time and not $$$.

The safest thing for them to do however is to not have any micro transactions <at least at launch), as I'm sure people would just see it as evil. But maybe once the game has been out for a bit then they can add DLC or something we pay for to show them we still want more from the game. And as long as people pay into the game CD knows the people are still interested thus encourages them to make more content for the people, maybe even toss in some FLC as appreciation for long term player investment once in a while.

There are definitely ways they can make money and not neglect the player base hopefully they choose a model that benefits everyone.

kofeiiniturpa;n10401832 said:
I've not thrown the axe in the well foir CP2077 (if I had, I'd not be posting here), but I just have this nasty itch on the back of my head telling me that there is no reason CDPR would make anything radically or even somewhat different from the other games of this ilk. I don't believe there is enough drive to actually do anything different (different enough) that would put this game in it's own league rather than trying to outdo or even match Bethesda, Bioware, Rockstar and the like. I'm not interested in that here. I want a good Cyberpunk RPG that does it's best at being an cRPG with heavily PnP inspired roots, not a copycat of the all the competition but with a slight twist (like Quantum Breaks time bending) that's supposed to make it different.

My fears and expectations pretty much match Kofeiiniturpa's. Although, my approach to this "fear" is more neutral.

So basically, my biggest fear/worst case scenario/baseline expectation is that CDPR makes CP2077 into a new Witcher game with the game mechanics only slightly improved from TW3. I'd be fine with that and love to play a "cyberpunk witcher 3" but it would be a bit disappointing too as I share the same hopes as Kofeiiniturpa.

I'm totally opposed to microtransactions in (most) single-player games. Such games generally have a beginning-middle-end ... I bought the whole game not part of it.
In a multi-player game designed and intended for days, weeks, months of game play I don't have any issues with cosmetic stuff. Might even work in a single-player game IF it has tons and tons of content to keep you busy, but ONLY as post main-story-line optional cosmetic content.

Suhiira;n10404222 said:
Might even work in a single-player game IF it has tons and tons of content to keep you busy, but ONLY as post main-story-line optional cosmetic content.

(please no keep ya busy business)

my main fear is that CDPR will do something like so many other devs have done and that is change stuff WAY too much like with GTA IV and GTA V, Saints Row 1 and 2 with Saints Row The Third and Saints Row IV, more recently with Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. if CDPR does a seriously dumbed down version of Cyberpunk and basically fails, I WILL lose all hope for this industry.

Aphex81;n10465152 said:
Unresponsive gameplay aka. console movement.

That actually sounds quite possible, even in The Witcher 3, an "alternative" movement mode was patched in a couple months after release because of the complaints.

sv3672;n10465392 said:
That actually sounds quite possible, even in The Witcher 3, an "alternative" movement mode was patched in a couple months after release because of the complaints.

Yeah, it's probably going to be pretty much a given. But it wasn't a big deal for me, and certainly not my greatest fear for 2077. The fact that they patched it later was icing on the cake. They'll probably use the Alternative movement as a baseline for 2077. Still not perfect, but I believe the main reason for TW3's weird movement was its movement animations and the emphasis on realistic feel. You'll notice the animations look a bit jerkier when using Alternative.

Hopefully they sort it out for 2077.

Snowflakez;n10466172 said:
Yeah, it's probably going to be pretty much a given. But it wasn't a big deal for me, and certainly not my greatest fear for 2077. The fact that they patched it later was icing on the cake. They'll probably use the Alternative movement as a baseline for 2077. Still not perfect, but I believe the main reason for TW3's weird movement was its movement animations and the emphasis on realistic feel. You'll notice the animations look a bit jerkier when using Alternative.

Hopefully they sort it out for 2077.

You know what. I was an advocate for a better movement system. Made some posts, participated in some arguments. Then, when they released the more responsive movement mode...

...I didn't like it and went back to the original one. :eek: (Hey, the thing I wanted the most was the ability to draw and sheath my own swords, and we got that, too. Revolutionized combat in the game. :))

I we just need to stop my character from randomly somersaulting down short staircases in CP2077. :cool:

SigilFey;n10469002 said:
Of course, sir. If you'll just step off the porch...

(Crash-thud-bap-bang-rumble-whap...!)

And my character supposed to be super nimble, too.

Movement is a concern of mine for CP2077, but not a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom