The Mulligan System Explained

+
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...stem-explained

vnAmF4J.jpg

Last edited:
if I blacklist for example a shieldmaiden when another shieldmaiden is at the top of my deck, does the shieldmaiden on top of my deck get shuffled elsewhere or stays on top and only gets bypassed during draw (i.e. is automatically drawn next round)?

WitchPlougher;n9015410 said:
if I blacklist for example a shieldmaiden when another shieldmaiden is at the top of my deck, does the shieldmaiden on top of my deck get shuffled elsewhere or stays on top and only gets bypassed during draw (i.e. is automatically drawn next round)?

The shield maiden that you mulligan away is placed in a random position during the mulligan and a new card is drawn, the copy however retains its position, id est it stays on top if that was where it was prior to the mulligan.

So if I understand correctly, I should mulligan situational cards third and deck thinners first. Good to know.

Mulligan not blacklisting

Hi.
I logged in to be greeted by a message to restart the game for update to take effect. Restarted the game and now mulliganning a card doesn't get blacklisted.
I first played 10+ rounds in practice, trying to learn a new deck, and noticed cards not getting blacklisted and thought it was limited to practice mode.
But I've since played a lot of rounds, mainly with a consume deck and Crones as well as other cards sometimes come right back in hand after being mulliganed away.
Am I the only one experiencing this?

The blacklisting is kinda broken. Sure, it works for the opening hand, but in the subsequent rounds it matters not, especially for muster (trio) cards. This is even more annoying for the Crones (and the Witchers) because they do not count as one and therefore cannot be blacklisted together. It's gotten so bad, that when I have more than one Crone in my hand during the opening (before the mulligan), I try to play them the first round because otherwise there is about a 50% chance that I end up with two Crones.

Wow. This. Is. Your game needs a completely different tutorial / challenge / whatever the cool kids do now instead of writing a bloodie game manual. I had no idea this is how these mechanics work and I'm like level 8. I'd just stop redrawing cards because I assumed there was some kind of bug having do with the initial draw.

a_page06;n8414350 said:
Definitely something Nilfgaard and Scoiatel players need to know! :p Honestly its good information all around, but I'm not sure why one would think that the deck would be auto-shuffled after a mulligan phase? In games like draw poker, the discarded cards are discarded. Its pretty apparent that this is not what happens in Gwent, so then why would one assume that after mulligan cards get put into the deck the deck gets shuffled? Another game?

As far as the debate as to whether or not it should be presented in-game: that's a little silly. I can't remember the last video game I played where 100% of mechanics were explained from the get-go...and nearly all games have some sort of player base discovered mechanics, either through asking developers or their own research.

lol my main deck is a strengthen deck with Scoiatel and I just stopped discarding cards unless I didn't have at least c'n'crate warrior in my hand. I had no idea how this worked in detail I'd just stopped bothering to try and figure it out.

why does it have to be so damn complicated? all Mulligan needs to do is
- place the mulliganed card back into the deck to a random position, remember the name
- draw the top card, if it's the same name (or of any previously Mulliganed this round), then place it back and draw the next card, etc
is it hard to code or what?

The mulligan sysyem is completely un-neccesary. Its change for the sake of change and gimps the Mulligan archetype before its even started, as you'll just spend the entire round cycling the same 2 fucking cards.

A pointless change that should of been fixed within the first month of beta.

Could you please fix the issue involving redraws (mulligan), because after each round has finished, the same card comes out of the deck without being shuffled back in during the previous rounds... In future, could this be fixed soon, maybe, after a round has finished, can the cards in the deck be reshuffled to avoid the same card reappearing? It is very frustrating when that issue comes around.

byExeplar

I've moved your post to a different thread more dedicated to discussing the mulligan. I suggest you study the original post (with the videos) first. The mulligan system isn't as broken as you think. You just need to know how to properly mulligan. And yes, the game doesn't tell you any of this.

Redraw Mechanics Are Funky

My friend and I have some questions about the mechanics with discarding/redrawing cards. My last game is a good example. I use a Scoia'tael deck, and through bad luck I had all three of my Blue Mountain Commandos ( which I want in my deck, duh ) going into round 2. Round 2 passes and entering round 3, I draw a Vrihedd Sapper, and redraw one of my Commandos...and then draw the exact same Commando. What gives? Is the deck determined by a percentage/chance RNG system and there's no specific order outside of "Place on Top/Bottom" cards? That seems goofy.

(This doesn't feel like a tech support question but this is my first post and I can't post anywhere else.)

Last edited:
kcramthun thread merged

The redraw mechanics (called 'mulligan') are indeed a bit strange when you don't know how they work. That's why I've made this thread to explain it. Please take a look at the OP (top post) for more information.

kcramthun;n9342611 said:
My friend and I have some questions about the mechanics with discarding/redrawing cards. My last game is a good example. I use a Scoia'tael deck, and through bad luck I had all three of my Blue Mountain Commandos ( which I want in my deck, duh ) going into round 2. Round 2 passes and entering round 3, I draw a Vrihedd Sapper, and redraw one of my Commandos...and then draw the exact same Commando. What gives? Is the deck determined by a percentage/chance RNG system and there's no specific order outside of "Place on Top/Bottom" cards? That seems goofy.

(This doesn't feel like a tech support question but this is my first post and I can't post anywhere else.)

It may not answer your question but just assume whatever you toss in R2-R3 mulligan phases will be what you redraw the next time you pull a card. I have no idea why this happens but it seems to happen incredibly often, even when you don't thin your deck very much. It would be nice to assume these between mulligans "shuffle" the tossed card back into the deck, using the entire deck, but I have my doubts. Toss card A, get card A back on the next draw seems to happen a bit too often. The same thing happens with Vrihedd Officers.... Toss a card with one, play another, get the card back.

I was aware of blacklisting, but I didn't know about the sequencing part of it. I agree with Swim in the video about the way it works right now, it is counter-intuitive. Indeed the mulliganed cards should be put aside until all the mulligan phase is complete and only then shuffled back in the deck.

PS: Since my post was moved, it got out of context. So here's the link to the video I mentioned where Swim discuss a possible improvement/fix to the Mulligan System.

Last edited:
The Mad Mulligan

I can not understand how it is possible to make tournaments on Gwent with such a broken mulligan.
I will give a few examples, from which I want someone to kill:
Dagon Deck: Systematically in the beginning I get 2-3 weather and 2-3 foglets and 2-3 crones...... SYSTEMATICALLY
And if I try to replace these cards in the second and third mulligan - they drop out to me again...... REALY???

I HAVE A SIMILAR EXAMPLES WITH OTHER DECKS

I can not understand why it is so difficult for game developers to create a normal deck-shuffling formula. Moreover, why it is impossible to make a BUTTON - to shuffle the deck.

Systematically drop one and the same cards.

If in poker I had such a mulligan - I would become the world champion.
Therefore, to hold tournaments for Gwent at the moment is idiocy.

Rakshaaz thread merged

The mulligan system isn't properly explained by CDPR. That's why it's difficult to understand what's going on. If you read the OP then you'll get a better impression of the situation. Even then, the mulligan system still has a bug (sort of). CDPR has already stated they are looking for a way to improve the mulligan. But for now, stick with the OP.

I didn't think this was a problem or a "bug" from my experiences, and the explanations of sequencing seemed plausible at first. I consistently play a greed NR deck that has 5 cards that needs to be mulligan away, and I rarely have problems. That being said, I play that deck differently every match because of the inconsistent hands and match types (to me it's fun to play).

After thinking over this a little while today, I came to the conclusion that sequencing, the order of which you mulligan, has no effect on the probability of redrawing the mulligan-ed cards.

Firstly, when mulligan blacklists the mulligan-ed card (like Roach in the example), why are all probabilities calculated with 16 card decks? You only have 15 possible cards to regularly draw from because you always draw the top non-blacklisted card during each mulligan. It does not matter that the blacklisted card is placed on top of the deck or just behind the first, as that top non-blacklisted card will always be drawn as you mulligan, making the two positions the same spot on the next regular, free draw.

Blacklisting only affects the mulligan phase, not the regular draw. Mulligan shuffles the 1-3 cards back into the deck. Hypothetically, you could mulligan until the whole deck is blacklisted and it will still have the same effect of shuffling in the end. The mulligan is a separate event from the regular draw, a special shuffle of the mulligan cards, therefore isn't a part of the probability.

If you only mulligan 1 card (out of the 3 possible), a Roach, with a 10 card hand and 15 card remaining deck, the odds of redrawing it on the next regular draw is 1/15 or about 6.6%

When you mulligan 2 or 3 cards, with a 15 card deck, there are 2-3 possible outcomes/cards (you may or may not want to happen) on the next draw. It's a 20% chance to get 1 of the 3 cards back in the next draw, which is a pretty decent chance. This is not including the bronze cards that can have up to 3 each in a deck. Also RNG screw is a thing, so it might feel like the RNG gods are against you.

Top Bottom