Is Monsters Most Peoples Favorite Faction?

+

• Monsters has always been popular due to it being the most fun/interesting faction

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Monsters has always been popular due to it being cheaper/friendly to new players

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters

In a recent interview posted on GwentDB rethaz is quoted as saying Monsters have historically been the most popular faction and he thinks the reason is due to people finding them the most fun/interested, as he says "Monsters are for many the most visually interesting and diverse cards. And therefore in many ways, the most appealing."

I happen to disagree with this assessment. In my opinion Monsters have historically been the most popular factions due more to players being essentially forced into the faction more so than it actually being everyone's favorite. My reasoning behind this is that Monsters are generally accepted as having the cheapest deck options. You can get far more bang for your buck with Monsters than you can with really any other deck. I myself played Monsters for quite a while, even though I despise the faction, simply because I felt I had literally no other options for semi-competitive decks. On top of this a lot of Monsters decks offer a relatively simple play experience and so would be doubly attractive to newer players.

I'm curious to see if Monsters really is most peoples favorite faction, or it's played simply because it's a good/cheap faction.

Last edited:
I felt it's really due to monsters has excellent bronze and good silver, gold range to choose from. In fact I think we can agree Monster has the best bronze card in the game (C harpy) while a good range of cards can have good interaction with harpy (from Vran to Butt, and so we see consume & swarm deck). The only reason Monster was not seen so good was because in last patch the savage bear happens to be the bane of C harpy. I don't think it's relevant to be cheap or popular, it's just because this card is so strong while other cards of Monster is not bad.

It's the easiest faction to play and learn compared to all the others and the power a lot more in their bronze cards making it cheap. I played consume / weather / wild hunt first 30 lvl's or something and no other factions to just learn the game, because it was cheaper than other decks.

Though I haven't played as monsters (let alone competitely) I'm akin to say it's very new-player friendly. Lots of easy 1-2 or 1-2-3 combos, not too complex. When you play against them and they play the 2nd or 3rd card of a combo they hardly need time to think. It's rather amusing to deny them a combo and suddenly watch them think for a long time.

I think monsters have the best starter cards and most other important bronzes are 30 scraps each (Foglet, C-Harpy, Arch Griffin, Earth Elemental, Drowner). I don't think they are particularly easy to play when compared to things like NR buff or SK QG.

Monster are relatively easy and cheap to play. I do think there are other starter friendly decks like NR, but do feel Monster have good synergy and visually rewarding (with a 1-2 combo, see you it spawn more and swam the board).

Also Crons are bae.

Never liked Monsters myself.

They're popular because it's easy and cheap to play them. Decks with low skill and money scrap requirements will always be popular.

Monsters are the easiest to play and have the cheapest decks relative to other factions. On top of that, Monsters have always been strong. All of this really increases the popularity. It isn't just one thing, it's almost all things.

Monsters is easily the easiest faction to play as. I got my girlfriend to start playing Gwent, and after she learned the basics, I swear to God, she made a consume deck.

It's just that their cards are so versatile. They can put a lot of points down and then have enough for the next round to make your opponent catch up. The faction also has cards that can completely mess up your opponent's graveyard. Monsters is possibly the strongest faction, if used right. I'm sad that Nilfgaard is doing so bad though. ):

OG.laloquaint;n9189081 said:
It's just that their cards are so versatile.

Besides Harpy, I kinda disagree. If you take Consume as an example, then the whole deck kinda builds itself. For the basics, you would want Behemoths, Harpies, Vran Warriors, Nekkars and Arachas. That's 15 bronze cards already and with 6 silver and 4 gold that makes 25. There is little variation. Even the choices for silver cards is pretty obvious. That's the thing, you don't really have to think about it.

Oh, but we were talking about versatility. Nah, want Consume mostly has is insane synergy.

It's funny how monsters gets pointed out as the easiest to play.
Any of these factions/deck builds are easy to play after watching a streamer or youtube video.

This shit ain't rocket science.And not hard to figure out after a few matchs

To me the monster deck is the hardest to win with consistently against highly skilled players using other factions. The deck can only do so much without using weather. Playing monsters without weather cards is how and why I enjoy monsters. Its fun to try and win without using the weather crutch.

Last edited:
lomvicmarko;n9188431 said:
And don't forget best golds. Now with weather nerfed some power is lost but it still arguably insane like woodland spirit.

In terms of gold I always think NG has best quality, the faction is overwhelmed by Monster but the gold is still decent. Monster has equivalent gold quality of SK in my perception which is also decent, definitely better than NR and ST gold.

Last edited:
I milled monsters, leaders included, at the beginning of the open beta. Since then, I made an Elder consume deck with the succubus for fun but I play it like once every 20 matches. I stick to NF and scoia'tael personally. As merchant stated in a video, Monsters is a kind of auto pilot deck and I prefer more technical playstyles.

Top Bottom