New level of card

+
New level of card

I was thinking it would be interesting if they made even stronger cards than golds, called them platinum, and allow 1 per deck.

PS. You could move some of the strongest golds to this category and promote some of the overpowered silvers to gold.

I think CDPR should focus on balancing what we have so far instead of adding new things like this. I don't like the idea of having another restriction to the cards I can put in my deck, especially if core golds became "platinum" and I could only choose one.

Personally i'm wondering what would happen if we get rid of silvers, leaving only 2 types of cards. I don't know what adding a 4th type would accomplish, beside making it frustrating if you don't draw it.

The thinking is that gets more another high level card in the mix and is distinct enough from gold that it won't just be adding a 5th gold slot. At the same time I agree it would suck to not draw it, but there are cards and leaders that let you mulligan another card and bring any you want into your hand. Also I have 2 other comments in different threads where I suggest letting players pick some number of cards in their starting hand (and this would go well with that.)

ChaosPhantom819;n10125692 said:
I don't like the idea of having another restriction to the cards I can put in my deck, especially if core golds became "platinum" and I could only choose one.

Iuliandrei;n10125772 said:
I don't know what adding a 4th type would accomplish, beside making it frustrating if you don't draw it.

Agreed with these points.

I really don't think adding a new card quality would benefit the game.
Players would just end up needing to build decks centered around making sure they get their Platinum, or be at a disadvantage if they cannot access it. (That latter part sounds familiar from another context...)

Wonderboy8700;n10125362 said:
I was thinking it would be interesting if they made even stronger cards than golds, called them platinum, and allow 1 per deck...

You already have those - they called them "Silver Spies".

Despite my aversion to posting, as this thread has addressed two subjects I've thought about at length, I'm inspired to contribute.
Personally, I believe this issue is not a trivial one, and CDPR would be wise to reconsider their system before beta ends.

[1] Card Types
This system is already bloated. There were once various combinations (Example: Epic Gold) that warranted the rarity system. Then CDPR simplified, but not enough, and the result was a mess of labels.

Common = White (looks silver) = Bronze
Rare = Blue = Bronze
Epic = Purple = Silver
Legendary = Gold (the color, not the card) = Gold (the card, not the color)

"Epic" and "Legendary" may sound cool, but redundant labels do not benefit the game and will confuse new players. And the colored squares detract from the beauty of the cards. CDPR should ditch the extra labels (and colors) and just have Bronze, Silver & Gold. Keep it clean and classic.

Players have long criticized the arbitrary assignment of "Common" & "Rare" tags, and for good reason. As you can have 3 of all Bronze cards, all should be equally valuable. So let "Bronze" be the most common card type with no distinction between one Bronze and another. And reduce crafting cost to the current Common amounts (no need to be mean and raise them).

[2] Leaders
Leaders do need balancing. But first they need to be handled differently. The system should work as follows...

1: Players have all Leaders from the start. (Standard versions)
2: Every Leader has a Challenge. (All Leaders should be treated as equals. Spotlighting two implies they are special.)
3: Challenges unlock the Animated Leader cards. (The card is featured in the Challenge, so it should be the reward.)
4: The Mill, Craft & Transmute options are removed from Leaders. And Leaders do not appear in Kegs.

It wouldn't hurt to be generous with Leader cards. It would even help CDPR financially. Because Leaders motivate deck design. Having only certain Leaders encourages players (especially casual ones) to obtain only the cards needed to support the Leaders they have. But give them every Leader, and they'll want every card. Also, give them Animated Leaders, and they may get a taste for animated cards as there will always be one on their screen. Even the accountants should agree. You want to spark new players quickly. Being able to pick a favorite faction, and then customize the Starter Deck (by selecting your Leader) makes you feel personally invested before you even start playing (like creating a character at the start of an RPG). And invested gamers are more likely to invest real money in Gwent.

Top Bottom