Is Iorveth a tad weak?

+
Is Iorveth a tad weak?

I find the Iorveth card to be a bit weak compared to other gold cards. There are only a few cards in the Scoia'tael deck which move enemy cards, and even if they do just that, they'd be better off used on moving own cards around, as they tend boost cards on your side and do nothing to the enemy cards (the only exception that I can think of being Ciaran).
So what I'm saying is that I think Iorveth needs a slight buff (for example do 3 damage to moving enemies instead of the current 2) or that there should be more Scoia'tael cards that move enemy cards, so that Iorveth's ability would become more useful.

Any ideas or suggestions? Or am I just not getting how to best use my favourite murdering psychopath (take that Vernon!)

SaladinBarchan;n9281171 said:
I find the Iorveth card to be a bit weak compared to other gold cards. There are only a few cards in the Scoia'tael deck which move enemy cards, and even if they do just that, they'd be better off used on moving own cards around, as they tend boost cards on your side and do nothing to the enemy cards (the only exception that I can think of being Ciaran).
So what I'm saying is that I think Iorveth needs a slight buff (for example do 3 damage to moving enemies instead of the current 2) or that there should be more Scoia'tael cards that move enemy cards, so that Iorveth's ability would become more useful.

Any ideas or suggestions? Or am I just not getting how to best use my favourite murdering psychopath (take that Vernon!)

I think he is great..if you draw him in the right hand.

He works well with weather (the only time i ever use it) Use him to damage enemies you move into weather with mercs.

If you get the right situation you can pull off one of the most glorious and destructive plays you have ever seen (nearly as beautiful as Vittier's double Daerlan, triple mongonel combo), although it's quite unlikely you will get the perfect situation and the right cards.

Use Geralt AArd to push as many enemies you can into skellige storm with Ioveth already on the board.

Likelyhood is most of them will have been destroyed by the time they are moved into the storm row, but it's a wonderful spectacle.

If your going to use Iorveth, you have to have Aard, Zoltan Chivay and Royal decree, fabulous synergy!

You can subsitute Aard with Zoltan for an similarly impressive two gold card combo.

And it goes without saying, you pull off the two gold card combo, you pass.

He needs to be in the right deck though, the core will be three Dwarven mercs (4 if you use operator) your opponenet will get hit by iorveth if he uses the dwarven clone you gave him.

Three Vrhiedd brigades for the weather clearing and ability to move enemies, Ciaran for obvious reasons, 1 of each weather type, aeromancy, decoy, you can even use d shackles on golds to repeat their deploy ability.

I tried it with Ressurect gold card but it was hit and miss, good to bring Iorveth back in final round if you still have move cards and weather.

I have a lot of fun with this deck, but only in casual. It could easily be made into a feasible ranked deck, but i'm not bothered.

My widsom is now yours.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Iorveth can be pretty fun but it's quite bad.
What people aren't considering is the opportunity cost. For example if you use a dwarven merc to move an enemy unit, Iorveth deals 2 damage to it BUT if you move a friendly unit that gets buffed by 3 instead. Zoltan has a similar ability where moving allies is more beneficial.

Vrihedd brigade is the only movement card that doesn't have a positive effect on friendly units, but unless you're countering weather why not play an archer or marksman instead? I mean instead of playing Iorveth and moving enemy units, play a marksman which does the same thing but also gets buffed by dwarven merc and zoltan.

The Malena combo again looks good but then you have to realize that you're playing a silver to give the opponent 4 STR which can be consumed, locked or turned into a bear. You need AT LEAST 7 rounds for Malena to get her value and this still leaves Iorveth as a 10 STR gold.

Maybe Iorveth should damage a random unit by 2 any time any unit moves, but take off his initial damage on deploy?

This would allow him to have much more synergy with the other cards.

It's not that Iorveth couldn't work given the right deck; but that's kind of my problem with him in the first place. For him to be a feasible card, you need to devout your entire deck just for him and even then you run the risk of just not getting the right cards in your hand. Now, compare him to say Vernon: Roche's value is 9 if his special ability doesn't trigger, but if it does trigger (i.e. he manages to kill a unit) he brings a Blue Stripes' Unit with strength 3 (if I remember correctly?) and deals another 3 damage. At this point he's roughly a 15 value card, and if he manages to kill a second unit he's an 18 value card, not to mention the unit advantage he gives you by providing 2 units on your board. And to add to this he makes you one Blue Stripes unit away from getting Ves also on board.
Now, Iorveth on the other hand needs 4+ units moved on your opponents side of the board to make him nearly as good as Roche, and that's a large IF considering also that you're often better off moving your own units rather than your opponents.
So I'm not saying Iorveth couldn't work, but it's a bit of a gamble and a hassle (and I can't stand him being less reliable and most of the time worse than that damned Vernon...)

Regarding a certain Gold unit...

Yes. I'm talking about Iorveth. His ability is absolutely trash. Hell, there are Epic cards like Manticore Venom that deal twice as much damage. Why isn't anyone talking about this? And what were they thinking when they decided his ability. Considering how important his Character is in the lore, it's an absolute waste of a Legendary in Gwent.

I think Iorveth desperately needs a buff. Like destroy any Bronze or Silver enemy unit. Or perhaps ANY unit including Golds. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I agree he needs a buff.
Maybe....
Ambush: Destroy the next unit (except leaders) played by your opponent.
or
Deploy: Spawn Arachas Venom or Manticore Venom and immediately play it.

OG.laloquaint;n9741491 said:
I agree he needs a buff.
Maybe....
Ambush: Destroy the next unit (except leaders) played by your opponent.
or
Deploy: Spawn Arachas Venom or Manticore Venom and immediately play it.

An ambush gold would be interesting. Although I think he should not be able to kill golds in this example; Probably still damage them, or turn and damage a unit by choice for 8. To prevent him from staying face-down until the end of the round, because your opponent played a gold card.

How would an ambush gold work exactly.. Would you just play it on the field like a normal card without the Gold sound effect? With the sound effect, it'll be a pretty obvious play. Or just give him the ability to simply kill any bronze or silver card even if it's buffed. It'll be like a Coral for ST.

m0bius8;n9741631 said:
How would an ambush gold work exactly.. Would you just play it on the field like a normal card without the Gold sound effect? With the sound effect, it'll be a pretty obvious play. Or just give him the ability to simply kill any bronze or silver card even if it's buffed. It'll be like a Coral for ST.

Well kinda like the current ones I guess, it turns over and the little sound effect plays, his voice line too.

Hm, Ambush ability with his current stats seems pretty good. Something like a Morenn but Alzur's Thubderish with body.

I'd go for that.

You're getting greedy.

The Ambush Ability by itself is a really, really strong ability - add 7 damage and 7 STR body to it and it's getting something to dread. Ever wonder why Morenn is played more than Toruviel the last patch? And she's doing "only" 5 damage and still can disrupt some combos.

Please.

Well we're just pitching ideas here. IF CDPR decide to buff him, they'll do it on their terms obviously. It doesn't have to be an ambush ability, but one thing that's certain is that Iorveth deperately Needs a buff. How many people use it in their ST deck? It's a dead gold card as it is right now.

Top Bottom