Mill all decks to craft one perfect deck.

+
Mill all decks to craft one perfect deck.

Hi all,
I am starting playing gwent and I would like to learn one deck before using other decks.

Is it good to mill all cards from other decks in order to get ores to craft a perfect deck?

Thank you

No. There's no such thing as a perfect deck. Once extremely strong decks do emerge they get nerfed in the next patch and you will have no way to transition to a new deck if you've milled all your other cards. Most decks are going to perform about the same until you get up to 4k anyway, some might get you there faster, but if you have the cards to build a decent deck you can likely climb pretty easily to get the rank rewards and thus improve your deck.

So, point taken about no one perfect deck, but certainly people are making strategic choices about tuning. Where's a good middle ground for allowing for winds of change from the devs without just being OCD and trying to collect every card?

Are there any known best practices for working on 2-3 factions and milling extras to get there?

I remember when I was starting I milled like 90% of my ST and SK decks to get a viable NG one myself. Didn't care about ST and SK, cause I didn't liked their styles of playing. SK in particular saw the axe (pun intended) twice like that. Now I have cards for at least two competitive decks for those two factions. Well, you'll have to play some time to fill your collection again, but it is not that hard to do so at all - you are constantly getting new cards, mill copies you don't like or have too much of, drops from kegs, etc.

But one think you'll have to consider is that it gets boring to play with just one faction. Like, I have a friend who plays NOTHING but Wild Hunt for two months now and is constantly complaining that the game gets boring to him. And he plays just the first or the first two tiers every day only.

Last edited:
never ever mill any cards that arent "extra". in fwent unlike other card games it relativly easy to gather cards and scraps. just farm a bit or buy some kegs, but never ever mill cards couse bad atm after patch may be tier 1.

Around 10 to maximum at 15, I guess. Mind you, he often loses so he mostly plays the first tear only, because of the free keg.

When I started out and had completed all the challenges, I milled 1 faction to get some silvers and a gold card for another faction. It varies a bit with the archetype, but for most decks the functionality comes from bronze cards, silver and gold cards are (most of the time) a bit of a luxury that make the deck more consistent or slightly stronger. Try to figure out for yourself (or ask on the forums) which cards are essential, and craft those. With that deck you can start climbing ranks and levelling up, yielding you sufficient rewards to complete your deck with luxury items.

You can definitely survive without milling leaders and win more often than you lose.

When I started my second account on PS4 the only golden card that was worth milling for me was Golden Decree, but of course you should only mill that if you have another new gold card in your deck (either you are lucky with your first kegs, or you have the starter pack). For some decks it might be better to focus on your silver slots first, before focusing on any gold cards. And it definitely helps to play exclusively with one faction for a while.

During the first few levels I also deleted duplicate bronze units from factions I didn't play (I wanted to have at least one copy for my collection :) ).

That's what i'm getting. I think NG looks very decent with it's spying tokens and assassins. Thing is I will never play NG, ever haha

I did that but I do not recommend it to new players. I played in Closed Beta for months, so I knew what to expect and what I wanted to play. The meta shifts with each patch. You can end up with a weak deck and nothing competitive.

Play a faction you think you might like. If it isn't working out, try something new. When you end up with something you like, invest in it.

Nilfgaard has great starter cards but is also the hardest faction to play.

sblantipodi;n9429571 said:
Hi all,
I am starting playing gwent and I would like to learn one deck before using other decks.

Is it good to mill all cards from other decks in order to get ores to craft a perfect deck?

Thank you

Id recommend against milling all your cards. Especially dont mill your leader cards. You can only get them back with ore and not decks. At any rate its costly to mill and you will have to buy back golds at 4 times the cost.

What everybody else said: so many reasons not to mill everything.

If you want to focus on one faction, there's a non self-destructive way of doing so:
*When opening kegs, if one of the 3 cards you choose from is from a faction you like - that's the card you'll pick
*When crafting cards, don't craft what's shiny, but what fits your game.

It will take some time to get everything you want, but it won't be long before you're milling spare bronze card (and an occasional spare silver/gold) and crafting what you want, without burning bridges you might need when the next patch comes out.
Good luck

Top Bottom