Stranger In A Strange Land

+
Stranger In A Strange Land

I just finished the lighthouse contract for Jorund and the next thing I know I'm fighting those 2 annoying punks. Yet for some reason, the writers of this quest decided to take all control away from the player and have you get easily knocked down for like 10 seconds by some random punk. Despite the fact that I have beaten every single fist-fight in the game up to this point, even earning the achievement for winning a fight without getting hit once, I can't seem to avoid being knocked down by this guy.

The fact that no matter what you do, you are railroaded to watch Jorund die, and then take part in an entirely stupid quest chain where you're railroaded the entire time is severely disappointing. After all the other great quests in the game where player choice matter, having my hand forced in this quest feels cheap, and like the writer couldn't come up with any better alternative solutions to add in so you have to play this quest how THEY want you to play it.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was that I had lost the fight and things proceeded to happen as they did, but the fact that even if you do a perfect counter to the attack the guy throws, the second it touches you it puts you in that stupid cutscene and knocks you down for 10 seconds. Like really, you can win a fist-fight with a rock troll, but this 1 little scrawny skelliger manages to knock Geralt to the ground for long enough that they can kill the other guy? That's just really poor writing and has truly disappointed me.

At this point, I have lost all desire to play the game because no matter what I do, I HAVE to play through this little story as the writer wanted me to, with no choice for myself. Every time I load up and hit continue, I'm thrown into that part of the game. And if I want to load a previous save that means not turning in the contract for having cleared the lighthouse, which is stupid. I may just end up having to load an earlier save and ignore this part of the game, but I'll keep that in mind when they release paid DLC. Don't feel like spending money on something if there's going to be stupid railroading like this.

This was a really bad design decision and it makes me just not want to play anymore. I've read posts on other sites with people who feel the same, and some have even pointed out the the little favor quest that you have to do afterwards could have been put into it's own little side-quest instead of pigeonholing the player into this really stupid quest where you're forced to play how the writer wants.

Not to mention the fact that it's completely different than what would actually happen to Geralt, because more than likely he would just use Axii to calm the two idiots or, you know, not get knocked down by a love-tap from a random punk after having beaten a troll in a fistfight.

There's been other things in the game that I've disliked, but I've easily gotten past that. Railroading in a game where choice is supposed to matter a lot and is supposed to be a big part of the game is just poor design and severely disappointing.

Edit:
I want to link to this Reddit post I found about this quest http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/37f1bq/spoilers_really_bothered_by_this_quests/

The user at the bottom points out 4 different things his character could have done in the quest to solve it alternatively, but you can't do any of them because the game FORCES you to do what it wants.

Last edited:
If anyone could help, after collecting the reward for "The Phantom of Eldberg", no one appears so I can't start this quest. Is there anyway round this?

I found that quest to be an interesting change of pace, introducing you to Skellige customs and awarding you with some great lore in the process, so whether it's bad or not is entirely subjective. I for one liked it a lot.

Last edited:
The user at the bottom points out 4 different things his character could have done in the quest to solve it alternatively, but you can't do any of them because the game FORCES you to do what it wants.
Railroading is not the Devil, sometimes it's a good way to induce hot events. It's often used as the "Story in the story" narrative pattern, and it's not stupid.

There's no problem with that imo, sometimes things happens even if we try to avoid them. It's fate.
Geralt didn't try to find Ciri but he met her Brokilone, he met her later after a long night of fight, ... but it was his fate.
And Jorund's fate was a stupid death on a tavern's floor :) ... you cannot dodge Fate. Geralt cannot avoid all hits, if you look at all the scars he have.

It's a RPG, sometimes bad things happens, and the interesting thing is not "how can i avoid those problems" but "what will i do after that ?"
Don't ask why you cannot save Jorund, just ask yourself what will you do with him dead ?

Last edited:
I just finished the lighthouse contract for Jorund and the next thing I know I'm fighting those 2 annoying punks. Yet for some reason, the writers of this quest decided to take all control away from the player and have you get easily knocked down for like 10 seconds by some random punk. Despite the fact that I have beaten every single fist-fight in the game up to this point, even earning the achievement for winning a fight without getting hit once, I can't seem to avoid being knocked down by this guy.

I completely agree. I completed Contract: Phantom of Eldberg at level 20. It is suggested level 17. I went to turn in the trophy and
Whop, I'm in Jail
So I tried reloading and doing it again several different times... I have spent my points focusing on Igni, and I can roast people like a marshmellow in a nuclear reactor. So I'm thinking, "There's got to be some way out of this." but there just isn't.
When confronted by the villagers they say "either fight the whole village or surrender your weapons and go to o the Jarl", and I'm thinking "I can take your whole village you country bumpkin, bring it!" but that's not a dialog option.

But that's not all. I've been using Delusion Axi Sign all this time at level 2, but until this point, I didn't need it to be level 3. So I reloaded a saved game and didn't turn in the quest until I had leveled up again and gotten another skill point. Then I went, turned in the quest, so I could use the
Axi sign to get out of jail
Then I see the Jarl and he assigns me a mission: Cave of Dreams, recommended level 14. So here I am, level 22 (I leveled up at some point) doing Cave of Dreams and not getting any XP for it because it's too low level.

I guess what made me mad was I waited to have the points to be able to complete Stranger in a Strange Land (my favorite book, by the way) and it puts me into a low-level quest. Cave of Dreams was really cool, but I wish I had done it a lot earlier.

Last edited:
Could somebody please give OP all the Valium? Jesus Christ! Of course you can come up with multiple ways to solve things differently, but it's impossible to code for everything. You think I don't want to axii every necrophage I see and have a Michael Jackson's Thriller flashmob in the middle of Novigrad?? (Note to self: learn how to make mods) We all want the Matrix - total immersion with unlimited choice & consequence, and we'll get there (god willing in my lifetime). Be patient. In the meantime, have a little respect and try to keep some perspective. And don't play that "imma hold my wallet hostage" card. It's cheap and makes you look like a whiny bitch.

That being said, this quest did get under my skin too. Lol. But it wasn't immersion breaking for me, it just made me hate Lugas more. "Did this dick just find me guilty and pay my fine thinking he can own my ass? Oh hell no!" I know I just got ranty about not expecting every possibility, but I really hope I can talk Crach into going Skyrim on them - a little civil war to wipe that stinking clan off the map.

I will say I was right there with Chasmodai. As soon as the guy said "you can't take on the whole village" I was all "challenge accepted". Was pretty disappointed it wasn't an option... wait, can we attack villagers? I might have to go back for a visit.

My other gripe, also already mentioned by Chas, was the low level follow up quest. I'm at level 20 so I ain't getting no xp. =/ Of course, I'll still do the quest on the chance that I can kill Lugas's heir and end that freakin' gene pool.

I could have massacred that whole village, three swords or not. Only those who yield shall be spared. That would have been my choice, you can't make me stand in front of a madman to be judged.

I just didn't go claim my reward in my current (second) playthrough...
Maybe I will, maybe I won't. All you'll have is one unfinished quest at the end, and you're not exactly prone to be broke in this game, so the money doesn't count all that much - and you can do the quest that follows Stranger in a strange land another way

/A

Last edited:
Could somebody please give OP all the Valium? Jesus Christ! Of course you can come up with multiple ways to solve things differently, but it's impossible to code for everything. You think I don't want to axii every necrophage I see and have a Michael Jackson's Thriller flashmob in the middle of Novigrad?? (Note to self: learn how to make mods) We all want the Matrix - total immersion with unlimited choice & consequence, and we'll get there (god willing in my lifetime). Be patient. In the meantime, have a little respect and try to keep some perspective. And don't play that "imma hold my wallet hostage" card. It's cheap and makes you look like a whiny bitch.

That being said, this quest did get under my skin too. Lol. But it wasn't immersion breaking for me, it just made me hate Lugas more. "Did this dick just find me guilty and pay my fine thinking he can own my ass? Oh hell no!" I know I just got ranty about not expecting every possibility, but I really hope I can talk Crach into going Skyrim on them - a little civil war to wipe that stinking clan off the map.

I will say I was right there with Chasmodai. As soon as the guy said "you can't take on the whole village" I was all "challenge accepted". Was pretty disappointed it wasn't an option... wait, can we attack villagers? I might have to go back for a visit.

My other gripe, also already mentioned by Chas, was the low level follow up quest. I'm at level 20 so I ain't getting no xp. =/ Of course, I'll still do the quest on the chance that I can kill Lugas's heir and end that freakin' gene pool.

You have a chance to kill Lugos in the game if you make one of the Crach king or queen.

Tat didn't make me react as strongly, but I did get pissed that I had to relinquish control... at least why not give us the option to fight the whole village and then have some poor sod do the pitchfork thingy. (i miss the auto-deaths from TW2).

Now that I think about it, maybe Geralt suffers from villagerphobia and therefore can't bring himself to face a mob of peasants in the first place...

I went to this particular tavern to buy some gwent cards and met these two goons wanting to start a fight.

It didn't click for me until I saw Jorund, and as soon as I saw his name I realized something.

When you first visit Kael Trolde there is a funeral and you go to a big party with Yennefer. At that feast, you get into a brawl fight with Lugos. When you beat him, he apologizes and asks you to visit this village. He also mentions Jorund.

This is what I did to save Jorund:

I walked out without talking to Jorund and visited this tavern again after making Cery's the queen. I was able to save Jorund, because the two idiots walking up to you are now dead. The berserkers at the Kael Trolde killed them during the second feast. So, Jorund will not be attacked and you can turn in contracts without the fuss.

I suspected this was a setup by Lugos.

Last edited:
I agree with the OP. I think this is the worst writing I have seen so far in the game. Its so stupid - "We give the player all of these various tools, but since we want him to go this way, we are going to take away all of these tools and blatantly railroad him."

I had to force myself to go through the quest since I didn't want a failed quest in my log. But it really pissed me off - it reeks of laziness and stupidity on the writer's part.

So whoever came up with this idea: EPIC FAIL.

Guest 3841499

I think I got a bug, because this Stranger In a Strange Land quest never happened! I just collected my reward for Phantom of Eldberg contract from Jorund in pub and went on my way - no fights or anything! No jail either!

I had the same. Completed the quest and got the reward. I read somewhere that if complete this quest after the kings gambit you wont go to jail
as the guys who imprison you and give you the quest Stranger in a strange land will have died at the bear feast

I agree with the OP. I think this is the worst writing I have seen so far in the game. Its so stupid - "We give the player all of these various tools, but since we want him to go this way, we are going to take away all of these tools and blatantly railroad him."

I had to force myself to go through the quest since I didn't want a failed quest in my log. But it really pissed me off - it reeks of laziness and stupidity on the writer's part.
So whoever came up with this idea: EPIC FAIL.

This is the worst quest in the game. It totally reminds me of that stupid DLC mission in Deus Ex where you're on a ship and then have all of your gear and skills stripped. And to all the people who say "chill out" all i can say is that these sort of things wreak of poor writing. Especially when you consider that there is absolutely no way in hell this makes any kind of logical sense in the terms of the game world. How could a Witcher, who is the goddamn fisticuff champion of both Velen and Novigrad get laid out by a shepherd? I hate being pigeon holed into these sorts of situations. I didn't spend 128 hours in the game carefully making choices and actually role playing just so I can be forced into a lazy quest line that, again, makes absolutely no sense. Hell I just landed in jail so I haven't even done the quest yet but I damn well knew where it was leading so I decided to vent a little before I bother with this BS. To be honest I'm almost tempted to reload the game and let it sit in my journal and come back to it later; if ever.

I think I got a bug, because this Stranger In a Strange Land quest never happened! I just collected my reward for Phantom of Eldberg contract from Jorund in pub and went on my way - no fights or anything! No jail either!

I guess you finished quest King's Gambit before returning to collect reward for wraith. If so, then it's not a bug - key characters for Cave of Dreams (which is result of Stranger In a Strange Land) are dead (afaik), so quest couldn't go on.

Whenever i drink beer, i still raise a glass to Jorund. Real or not, dude was honorable, and im not going to deny a man's dying wish.

I think you guys are being too hard on the writer, and the game. No matter how great this game is, it's still a videogame. This kind of stuff happens in every other videogame everyday, why can't it happen in the witcher?

There's absolute free will to choose, in real life.

Top Bottom