Gameplay Changes Thread

+
Of course, somebody would say: what's the problem? If you've got a hundred of bottles and don't need anymore, just stop looting! But I would answer: dude, you have no idea about gamers' psychology. How can I leave unlooted container once I have found it? What if there is an epic sword inside? :p

And yes, of course I understand that this idea would never affect TW3. Your level designer(s) have probably spent weeks placing these containers, so nobody would waste his/their work. Though... maybe in the next game you decide to reduce amount of boring-but-needed stuff in the game world?

(rant mode off)

But that`s exactly what makes a game feel realistic and alive and immersive, all this so-called "boring not needed stuff".
This is what makes the difference to all these stupid and dumbed-down lame console arcade games with nothing to do (but shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot health-pack shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot health-pack shoot shoot shoot......), and with nothing to discover, no item managemant, nothing to read, no ingame books, no story or immersion or item-micromanagement at all, no interesting details nowhere to find, and nothing to see and to do in any menu (but "Start game / load game / Exit game").

It`s such a pleasure to see all these beautyful icons and the interesting forensic monster body parts and the chemistry/Alchemy stuff, the armors and all that awesome food - pots of honey and bread and rotten meat (Wolves love decaying meat!) and chicken legs, und fruit juices and several dozen more kind of food.
When I go shopping I even imagine being Triss and think about bringing Geralt who is on vacation in my house because of some witcher quests in the vicinity, something to eat. :D
And that`s not chicken nuggets anymore in the shop`s freezer, that`s Griffin Nuggets.
Aaaw - immersive shopping!

It would be a blast seeing the beautyful icons in the menu at least 1,5x bigger than they are now, because they are beautyful and detailled enough to be made bigger with the next patch.
For even more beautyful honey pots and orange juice and chicken legs and Witcher-potion glassbottles with a little poison-skull imprinted on the label :D

The problem with the empty wine/beer bottles in every loot came with the patches, at the beginning of the game there was always impressive loot to find, for example lots of fine runestones.
I guess since Patch 1.10 the loot had been reduced to 99% "empty bottles" to make the game more difficult which means, Geralt doesn`t find any precious stuff to sell anymore and if he sells something, everything is worth about 1 coin no matter what it is.
This loot change (99% only empty bottles left in all chests and container and barrels the whole game) and the new money system (nothing has any worth anymore but 1 - 5 coins when Geralt sells it), came with one of the 1.8 or the 1.10 patches.

To simulate the "poor Witcher" I guess, because everyone had 999999999457896854624563565745699564676578 coins on the screenshots. Because of that the loot and the selling system had been completely overhauled in Patch 1.8 or 1.10, and the only thing you can find anymore are always empty bottles everywhere.

I had not, my Geralt always looted everything and sold all old swords and unnecessary ugly armors he could find, and had about 5000 coins and an impressive sword collection with at least one sword of every type in the item chest at the end of the game, and I could never afford that rune smith from the Hearts of Stone DLC.

But our cheating friends who made excessive use of the addmoney(#) command of course all had 9999999999957847846784678560997867846785675646254345 gold coins on their screenshots when finishing the main game and screamed "hey - it is a poor Witcher in the books, do something about that UNBALANCED money system!" :D :D :D
So the new empty-bottle loot-system was invented.... especially for our German friends, who know the meaning of the word "Pfandflasche" ahahahahaha ;D

Last edited:
When roaming in caves Geralt hold a torch in hand , when approach torch /braziers candles , can you make Geralt lit the flamable things with his burning torch holding in hand , instead of puting torch back , light with igni , and again bring the torch up in hand ?

I'm seconding this. :thumbsup:

Rework the gameplay? The combat and controls in this game are both terrible. The controls are probably the most unresponsive sluggish and imprecise controls I've experienced in long time. I don't know who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to put these garbage controls in the game they suck and nobody likes it. Geralts suppose to be a fast and finesse fighter not a clumsy slow knight in heavy armour because thats how it feels to control him.

Combat is also soo clumsy, soo unresponsive and just plain terrible. The bad controls hinders combat but I've said enough about the controls. The combats a huge mess of poor gameplay design that only poor inexperienced combat designers would do. I suggest hiring experienced gameplay designers who know what their doing and learn from games with great third person combat like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Bloodborne/Souls Games, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, Dragons Dogma, Medal Gear:The Phantom Pain and Nioh(still not out but looks great). The main problems with combat all my points are shared with this guys.

- https://youtu.be/75lZYTDK_sE

- https://youtu.be/BLhiLRZ0MGc

I agree with you Hioh24332 and the videos you posted the combat in this game is awful. Its such a shame the rest of the game is top notch excellence. The crap combat is like a shit stain on a nice suit. Really dont understand how CDPR thought this terrible combat was acceptable. Terrible gameplay testers, terrible gameplay designers or gross negligence by Konrad Tomaszkiewicz can only explain this. Most people aren't loving the combat for this game and why would they? It sucks ass. I found out poor design in the combat in the first 2 hours of playing the game. These are the design choices that really piss me off with the combat.

- Awful controls as stated. Very sluggish and unresponsive. It doesnt feel realistic to control him its just bad. The over exaggerated inertia in the movement is ridiculous. I thought Geralt was suppose to be a fast mutant monster hunter not a fat sumo wrestler because thats how it feels to control him.

- Poor targeting system. Frequently locks on the wrong enemy resulting in a combat that feels sloppy and imprecise

- The game chooses combat mode for you but ranged enemies can attack you before the game detects enemies for it to engage combat mode. Why cant the player choose when to engage combat mode? Again how is this even considered tactical combat lol.

- CDPR marketed this combat system as tactical yet in most important part third person melee combat swordplay the game uses a distance modifier. This means the game calculates the distance between Geralt and an enemy. Than it chooses the right combat animation for the distance. This automates everything and makes everything less tactical(nice try CDPR this combat isn't tactical). The worst part is this distance modifier doesn't work even work properly in a lot of cases. Its soo poorly programmed and designed that its mind numbing. Frequently Geralt does the wrong animation for the current distance. An example is I am right in front of the wolf and instead of doing a simple quick slash Geralt does a longwinded pirouette spin resulting in me get hit. How is this tactical? How is this fair to the player? Its poor poor design punishing the player for no reason.

- No control over attacks. Similar to the previous point. When the player has no control over Geralts attacks and the distance modifier doesn't even consistently work. It makes the combat feel even more clumsy and inconsistent than it really has to be.

- The inconsistent dodging mechanics. The dodge i-frames don't work immediately after you attack, get hit, or use a sign. You have to attack, wait, then dodge for it to work. There are also some unblockable attacks, and broken hitboxes that only exasperate this situation. Dodging should be consistent.

- Awful hit detection and hit boxes especially on larger monsters like Griffins and Wveryns.

- Slow dodging and rolling animation feels sluggish as fuck

- Awful indoor camera makes combat indoors almost unplayable

- Why is the crossbow soo useless? It feels like they made the crossbow only for air and water enemies rather than making a balanced weapon that can spice up the combat.

Last edited:
Change how combat mode works. Instead of the game turning on combat mode for the player you need to do it manually. Remove the horrible soft locking system and leave the manual locking system on. This means when not locked on your not in combat mode. Which means you can sprint and jump over terrain thats bothering you. Then you can quickly lock back on an enemy you are fighting. Also remove contextual attacks and let the player have control over the attacks. Bloodborne does the same thing and fixes the very same issue the Witcher 3 has when two different actions are on one button.

Last edited:
I agree with you Hioh24332 and the videos you posted the combat in this game is awful. Its such a shame the rest of the game is top notch excellence. The crap combat is like a shit stain on a nice suit. Really dont understand how CDPR thought this terrible combat was acceptable. Terrible gameplay testers, terrible gameplay designers or gross negligence by Konrad Tomaszkiewicz can only explain this. Most people aren't loving the combat for this game and why would they? It sucks ass. I found out poor design in the combat in the first 2 hours of playing the game. These are the design choices that really piss me off with the combat.

- Awful controls as stated. Very sluggish and unresponsive. It doesnt feel realistic to control him its just bad. The over exaggerated inertia in the movement is ridiculous. I thought Geralt was suppose to be a fast mutant monster hunter not a fat sumo wrestler because thats how it feels to control him.

- Poor targeting system. Frequently locks on the wrong enemy resulting in a combat that feels sloppy and imprecise

- The game chooses combat mode for you but ranged enemies can attack you before the game detects enemies for it to engage combat mode. Why cant the player choose when to engage combat mode? Again how is this even considered tactical combat lol.

- CDPR marketed this combat system as tactical yet in most important part third person melee combat swordplay the game uses a distance modifier. This means the game calculates the distance between Geralt and an enemy. Than it chooses the right combat animation for the distance. This automates everything and makes everything less tactical(nice try CDPR this combat isn't tactical). The worst part is this distance modifier doesn't work even work properly in a lot of cases. Its soo poorly programmed and designed that its mind numbing. Frequently Geralt does the wrong animation for the current distance. An example is I am right in front of the wolf and instead of doing a simple quick slash Geralt does a longwinded pirouette spin resulting in me get hit. How is this tactical? How is this fair to the player? Its poor poor design punishing the player for no reason.

- No control over attacks. Similar to the previous point. When the player has no control over Geralts attacks and the distance modifier doesn't even consistently work. It makes the combat feel even more clumsy and inconsistent than it really has to be.

- The inconsistent dodging mechanics. The dodge i-frames don't work immediately after you attack, get hit, or use a sign. You have to attack, wait, then dodge for it to work. There are also some unblockable attacks, and broken hitboxes that only exasperate this situation. Dodging should be consistent.

- Awful hit detection and hit boxes especially on larger monsters like Griffins and Wveryns.

- Why is the crossbow soo useless? It feels like they made the crossbow only for air and water enemies rather than making a balanced weapon that can spice up the combat.

I was a going to post on my complaints about the combat as well. I completely agree the combat in this game is dreadfully terrible. I dont know if my standards are too high for gameplay since I play a lot of third person action games but I know for a fact that this combat system is filled with bad mechanics and design. I've seen many people agreeing with me and you. The combat and controls are soo clunky, janky and unresponsive. Like do they have gameplay testers at CDPR that actually test this games gameplay for over 100 hours? I could tell the combat sucked ass within the first 3 hours. Maybe people in Poland dont have access to good third person action games or something.

They STILL didn't fix it?

I was thinking about playing it again but this really changed my mind.

What's most frustrating is that the core combat of TW3 is actually pretty good, but the combination of faulty/bugged mechanics here and there do a good job of ruining it, especially on harder difficulties.

What a shame.

New poster here. Can you guys please add jumping in combat. Like seriously this is such a simple suggestion because currently its ridiculous how you can't jump in combat and it causes soo many unnecessary issues. Most open world games dont even have this problem I can't believe the devlopers couldn't fix this issue in play testing before shipping the game.

Currently a player can only play the game twice on the same save(once on ng, and a final on ng+). Blood and wine being the last expansion, I suggest CDPR give us one last tweak before they depart on the witcher series as a whole. New Game plus should allow the player to repeat the story as many times as they desire(like dark souls), and scale enemies to a higher level, but should cap the level on geralt and items to 100, and enemies to 105 or 107(this is the current scaling of npc and items). A infinitely repeatable ng+ allows players to focus on doing quests, killing monsters(for quest purposes,not grinding mutagens from downers in skellige), experiment with full builds from the get go, rather than searching for better gear and alchemy recipes/worrying about over leveling story quests. Also I understand that the sense of progression would disappear, but that is why fresh new game exists. I simply wish that CDPR allow us to repeat the story as many times as we want on our current characters as a final patch or included on a final patch before, they move on from the Witcher 3.

It seems that they already move on, but i can understand that..after all, not any developer keeps suporting they games after a year of release like CD did...i still think that an arena mode ala Witcher 2 would be great, specially after the tease of the arena in Blood and Wine...just used on the main quest and the tournament only :(
Imagine a way to continue playing tournaments at the end of the game, with increasing level and variety of enemies! or the choice of make custom tournaments and practice combat (just like the tournament quest but ad infinitum). Only dreams now

Thasithe1952;n2945713 said:
Change how combat mode works. Instead of the game turning on combat mode for the player you need to do it manually. Remove the horrible soft locking system and leave the manual locking system on. This means when not locked on your not in combat mode. Which means you can sprint and jump over terrain thats bothering you. Then you can quickly lock back on an enemy you are fighting. Also remove contextual attacks and let the player have control over the attacks. Bloodborne does the same thing and fixes the very same issue the Witcher 3 has when two different actions are on one button.

Dragons Dogma would is the combat system that would fit Witcher series the best. It's smooth, fluid, tactical, flashy and very fun. Soulsborne combat is great but it doesn't fit an open world RPG like Witcher. Dragon Dogma was an open world game and the style of combat fits Witcher the series. If CDPR does make an open world medieval RPG like a Witcher 4 or new series they should use this games combat system I can't stress this enough.

Last edited:
LegateLaniusThe2nd;n7200200 said:
Dragons Dogma would is the combat system that would fit Witcher series the best. It's smooth, fluid, tactical, flashy and very fun. Soulsborne combat is great but it doesn't fit an open world RPG like Witcher. Dragon Dogma was an open world game and the style of combat fits Witcher the series. If CDPR does make an open world medieval RPG like a Witcher 4 or new series they should use this games combat system I can't stress this enough.

I would argue that Nioh combat system IS the perfect combat style for Witcher 3 or the next witcher game. It's fast, complex, stylish, and of course strategic to the point you have to manage your reach and rhythm in combat. the stances system and weapon combos provide complex moves, the dodges aren't your typical clumsy rolling but a beastly/super human step moves. there are variety of items for buff or help in certain combat situation. Also magic and elemental damages play a big roles in combat especially against monster enemies. What I do very much love from Dragon dogma is the "climb monster" system, it has the sense of struggle and empowerment to it. Add it with the "mutilation system" from monster hunter it would be the perfect combination for me. so basically dream combat system would be Witcher 3 (RPG elements) + Nioh (swordfight and general combat) + Dragon Dogma (climb monsters) + Monster Hunter (mutilation system).

Merchant prices and their gold stock doesn't seem to be updated in NG+, so they run out of money after you sell them one Small Blackjack. So you have to either get out of the habit of hoarding everything, or keep stashing stuff until you hit Toussaint. Either way, very annoying.

I just wanted to add a possibility for the next witcher game. For almost the whole game i couldn't wait to get my mastercraft gear and buy the time i finally did the game was basically over. So what i want to add is after the game is beat you unlock a set of contracts with insanely hard monsters to fight and something like a daily contract system. I literally made this account to post about this i cant start a new topic on it so if someone likes the idea by all means take it and post about it i just thought this be be really amazing to see. Just a few things i wanted to add not sure if this is the right place to post this or not and if anyone is curious i have around 300 hours in the game.

Last edited:
I wish to suggest the lessing of the sex aspect of this game, as it leads to the cheapening of actual friendships and the cheapening of such a sacred act.
This day, we desire loyalty but have little of it. Why? in the USA, we simply use people for our desires instead of more greatly valuing who they are.
I deeply appreciated the story line where a witcher and a witch left the company of Gerault and crew after defending Ciri at Kaer Morhen and that couple decided to find happiness together as a couple. What an awesome concept.

I like to play for the story and prefer smooth ride so I choose the easiest difficulty. But I do not like how many devs seem to deliberately mess up the guidance system in the game and occasionally mislead the player into finding the next objective by themselves breaking their own standard. Or put an objective somewhere or exit somewhere it is less obvious or breaks its own trend to just confuse and halt you ro struggle with map design. It is like hitting head on a wall and really frustrating. For eg the guidance to beggar hideout for taking reward leads somewhere else to some thugs. Then there is the cave with keira where it doesnt tell where to go in the smoke filled area until you knock about just every corner and find it on your own without any obvious indication. Same for philipa cave mission where she leaves after finding the stone and you are left with no guidance provided to get out of the cave. I get it when people choose higher difficulties and work without the path guidance but why put these as annoyance for easy mode breaking away from your own standard when the player chose not to deal with claustrophobic elements? But thankfully it w3 does it only some places, dai is full of it and heavily annoying experience due to those. Though that doesnt justify them as they only give bad impression of the game and ruin experience. Do away with such elements or atleast make them a little bit obvious so that they make sense, not some classical level design bs of old days when games were primarily an arcade struggle with little to no graphical, sound or story value to them.

just started the game. fought the first boss type mob "Griffin" but really disappointing due to the fact that character control completely changes :( It is enough to be a game breaker for me. I was a little disappointed with so many key binds for game interaction also. But when a boss fight is so different from regular game play ....blehhh too frustrating. Just saying its allot to get used to

Top Bottom