Developer Patch Overview 7.2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Play mode selection no longer resetting to Classic will be nice. And the Pro regulations bug will be gone, also nice.

Those new leader abilities sound like a great reason to not switch mine. The NR Shield one in particular sounds strong, like they said it is.
Imprisonment is just a double D-shackles, but with all the other Locks that NG has I'd imagine it can really wreak havoc especially on engine decks.
Vincent nerf is fair and justified. He now needs to kill a 7 or stronger to be numerically worth his Provisions, but that isn't hard to do at all. And the -1 Provision is great, especially since evolving cards got a +1.
Impera Brigade can't be used an as opening, thinning play anymore, but Soldiers are so numerous that it doesn't really matter.
New Tactical Decision sounds pretty interesting -- and lives up to its name at least on paper. Morvran has cool voicelines, too, assuming they've not been changed and I don't see why they would have. :D

I don't like playing against Harmony, but reverting the nerf was justified and fair. Will be even more sure to run Yrden in non-Devotion decks...

Frost is annoying enough as it is imo, but the White Frost leader ability definitely fits MO perfectly. And, like they said, it will no doubt be played with Eredin for that extra bit of flavour.

Didn't see a Greatsword overhaul coming, but again like they said, it fits the theme of Skellige.

Play mode selection no longer resetting to Classic will be nice. And the Pro regulations bug will be gone, also nice.

Those new leader abilities sound like a great reason to not switch mine. The NR Shield one in particular sounds strong, like they said it is.
Imprisonment is just a double D-shackles, but with all the other Locks that NG has I'd imagine it can really wreak havoc especially on engine decks.
Vincent nerf is fair and justified. He now needs to kill a 7 or stronger to be numerically worth his Provisions, but that isn't hard to do at all. And the -1 Provision is great, especially since evolving cards got a +1.
Impera Brigade can't be used an as opening, thinning play anymore, but Soldiers are so numerous that it doesn't really matter.
New Tactical Decision sounds pretty interesting -- and lives up to its name at least on paper. Morvran has cool voicelines, too, assuming they've not been changed and I don't see why they would have. :D

I don't like playing against Harmony, but reverting the nerf was justified and fair. Will be even more sure to run Yrden in non-Devotion decks...

Frost is annoying enough as it is imo, but the White Frost leader ability definitely fits MO perfectly. And, like they said, it will no doubt be played with Eredin for that extra bit of flavour.

Didn't see a Greatsword overhaul coming, but again like they said, it fits the theme of Skellige.

Great sword will backfire. Too strong with healing abilities and spawn abilities. Reset no longer works to contain it. Lock will have little effect. I like the thought process but it will backfire.

Too bad.
The thing is that a nerf to the ability would not even fix the issue as the issue is not the powerlevel, but the fact that Lockdown games are just the most boring games imaginable and the only games I genuinely cannot enjoy (as they are just needlessly dumbed down for no reason, taking away decisionmaking and turning the game into more an autopilot hell one is forced into against one's will).
I've grown to love Lockdown, it forces autopilot decks like Hidden Cache and Ursine Ritual to play differently. If their decks are really so greedy that they don't have any coin accumulation or self-damage without leaders they deserve the loss.
If you want to talk about simplifying the game look no further than those kinds of decks that are basically just by themselves hoping their flowchart gameplan will end up giving them more points in the end. Pure pointslam.
This is why I argue Lockdown can make for more decision making. People have to adapt to the match.

I think the only reason it's getting heat recently is the double ball stupidness but you can't blame it for that. Before that was a thing it was treated as a meme ability.

Last edited:
Great sword will backfire. Too strong with healing abilities and spawn abilities. Reset no longer works to contain it. Lock will have little effect. I like the thought process but it will backfire.
I dont think so. it's still a powerful engine but you really need to build your deck around it and it needs more than 1 other card to work well, like svalblod priest and torrential rain etc.

personally I am more concerned with shield wall and imprisonment (ughh.. rly cdpr?). imprisonment with double ball might turn out to be devestating, since the locks not only shut down anything too small for poison like drummer-like engines but they also synergyze well with thirsty dames.

I dont think so. it's still a powerful engine but you really need to build your deck around it and it needs more than 1 other card to work well, like svalblod priest and torrential rain etc.

personally I am more concerned with shield wall and imprisonment (ughh.. rly cdpr?). imprisonment with double ball might turn out to be devestating, since the locks not only shut down anything too small for poison like drummer-like engines but they also synergyze well with thirsty dames.

Imprisonment also sets up instant kill of locked units. Not to mention instant seize. Especially if they get rid of artificial removal. Shield wall is a total cluster***k. It will make NR the dominant faction and force everyone else to play NG to lock the engines. worst possible decision to give 3 shields and buffs to inspired auto engine and duel faction.

You are wrong about the great swords. The new alchemy leader will heal them, they can heal by damage from warrior archetype, and they can be healed by heal units and special cards. Add to this if you respawn them with the gold alchemy card they come back at 10 points without self damage. This card will be nerfed within 2 weeks.

Imprisonment also sets up instant kill of locked units. Not to mention instant seize.

I dont think that will be a very good play though, why would you damage a unit by 3 and then kill it? once locked it's likely not getting any value anyway. must be a really tall unit to pay off then and then you would rather poison it

You are wrong about the great swords. The new alchemy leader will heal them, they can heal by damage from warrior archetype, and they can be healed by heal units and special cards. Add to this if you respawn them with the gold alchemy card they come back at 10 points without self damage. This card will be nerfed within 2 weeks.
we will see :) so far healing was barely used at all and I'm not sure if the alchemy leader will be that great for SK. 10 for 9 is honestly acceptable as well imo and it's not like there arent answers to big units^^ I dont expect the card to become too problematic, since it does nothing on its own

Shield wall is a total cluster***k. It will make NR the dominant faction and force everyone else to play NG to lock the engines. worst possible decision to give 3 shields and buffs to inspired auto engine and duel faction.
agree, I guess it's not hard too see why that ability is OP in NR :giveup: might actually make cards like ildiko secretly good as well. will defo try ildiko seltkirk anseis xD

one thing no one has talked about yet is the buff to thinning cards. you now get 8 for 5 with deck thinning wtf? the conditions are mostly ridiculously easy to meet. if you had a card that is 5 provision and 4 power that says: if you have one x-unit on the field, boost by 4, would you play it? yes you would. now add the added benefits of thinning your deck and not going tall to it. you used to play those for consistency, now you can play them for tempo as well. the power creep continues :) this buff is also really weird to me since many of those cards have just been buffed recently, like impera brigade used to be 3/6 for 6 before MM yes?

edit: foglet is now an 8 for 4 with thinning on deathwish, how is that not auto include? xD

Last edited:
Overall very happy with these changes for now. While I'm sad to see Strategic Withdrawal go and double ball left unaddressed I'm a bit taken aback how much hate this is getting. There's some fun stuff here.

As others have pointed out Shieldwall seems really strong. I guess the mentality was that since Carapace has 3 charges Shieldwall should too, but NR gets a lot more from this ability than MO gets from Veil. 2 charges would be the way to go I think.

Overall very happy with these changes for now. While I'm sad to see Strategic Withdrawal go and double ball left unaddressed I'm a bit taken aback how much hate this is getting. There's some fun stuff here.

As others have pointed out Shieldwall seems really strong. I guess the mentality was that since Carapace has 3 charges Shieldwall should too, but NR gets a lot more from this ability than MO gets from Veil. 2 charges would be the way to go I think.
carapace used to have 2 charges and boost by 3 instead. this new ability is way better, not to mention it actually has synergy with NR. I expect vysogota to become an absolute pain and vissegerd might have a comeback in such a list

I just realized all this whining is mostly just MO players upset that Ethereal isn't the objectively greatest engine in the game single-handedly carrying an entire faction anymore.
I continue to grow disappointed with this fanbase.

In my opinion this is a pretty disappointing patch overall:
1) NR got boosted without reason ( it was already the strongest faction of the season ). And the new pincer manouver and shieldwall...really?
2) It's good to see that [...] ethereal go, but double nerfing auberon?
3) Most of the new leader abilities are bland and uninspiring. SK ones are a joke , SY will still play only hidden cache and the MO ones are a bland point slam and a push to the frost archetype. Not sure how I feel about getting back harmony but it's nice to see ST some love.
I'm hoping that a big patch is on the way to really revitalize the game with interesting abilities and effects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4368268

Dagur is still a thing, so technically speaking the Axeman ability still exists, furthermore a 10 for 6, which they can still be is no joke.

Umm, you do realize that abilities like the NR shield ability are very obviously quite overtuned, Woodland Spirit can be a bomb on a thrive filled field and with Relic being a tag ST has no access to, as well as the harmony nerf being changed back, Call of Harmony should also be very powerful, if anything these new abilities should improve variety, not to mention that MO finally has more generic leader abilites, rather than specific leader abilities and trash.

They said it will be during one of the next updates, so it should definitely still come this year.
Sure Dagur is a thing, but he's also one specific gold card. When they changed beastmasters they still kept the ability on one specific gold card but in reality the archetype died with that decision. I don't think the new GS's are a joke but they're definitely not worthy of building around anymore, as even the old GS's were rarely actually built around.

Yes there's some strong leader abilities coming. But I meant the majority of them to me seemed weak. I can be very wrong, we'll see. Shieldwall will be strong that's for sure. Woodland Spirit as a 'thrive bomb' is very much wishful thinking. He'll proc thrives for sure, bow often do you get to thrive a bunch of 8s specifically? It would be a first for me. It's not the worst leader (couldn't be cause' Invigorate exists ;)) but not amazing I feel. I like the Harmony ability too. Very much so. I think harmony will be in a good place now without double Waters of Brokilon.

I also really like that they realized their mistake with the harmony nerf and reverted it, they could just as easily have turned away from it all together.
I was really hoping woodland spirit would return, possibly with some beast synergy (they always summoned wolves in TW3) but simply dropping a 9 is pretty boring imo. people argue that it was made for thrive decks, most of you seem to have forgotten why fruits of ysgith actually exists outside of ethereal. seems weird to me that an old, dusted archetype that isnt working in this meta now has 2 leaders Oo

I also really like that they realized their mistake with the harmony nerf and reverted it, they could just as easily have turned away from it all together.
I was really hoping woodland spirit would return, possibly with some beast synergy (they always summoned wolves in TW3) but simply dropping a 9 is pretty boring imo. people argue that it was made for thrive decks, most of you seem to have forgotten why fruits of ysgith actually exists outside of ethereal. seems weird to me that an old, dusted archetype that isnt working in this meta now has 2 leaders Oo
Works with dominance as well

Works with dominance as well
ah yes and what deck uses dominance? wild hunt. which leader will they pick? not woodland spirit I suppose :think: also the old force of nature worked much better with dominance and was already trash tier. I would rather have woodland spirit as a 7 with deploy: spawn a 1 point wolf tokens on each side, then it would at least not be at 9 with status

Regardless I like it better than old Force of Nature. Fruits plays like an engine so they serve two different purposes.

Oh, and regarding Ethereal... saying the update kills it is definitely an overreaction.

It'll be less strong but by no means dead. It will be able to transform Demons and it gets a Provision buff. Plus the initial, played card has Zeal so it's guaranteed to be able to transform at least one card.

Regardless I like it better than old Force of Nature. Fruits plays like an engine so they serve two different purposes.
ofc but the point was it was supposed to be a leader for thrive. a thrive leader exists in fruits and a better one at that, since force is a one time play. if you like it, do your thing, I dont see it getting played a lot :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom