Witcher 1 stops running on Windows 7

+
Witcher 1 stops running on Windows 7

Every sense I have loaded the Witcher on Windows 7, it has really been unstable especially on the cut scenes. It just stops running whenever it has to load a scene. Only one time did it stop when I was fighting multiple enemies, but it has stopped six times within three hours while going from one level to another and having to load the cut scene. I have the recommended patches – thanks to Tommy.

I would really be interested in any ideas that you might have on this. The Witcher was really stable on XP.
Thank you very much
thank you
ancient

Tommy said:
Could you list some system specs please .

Also if you haven`t make sure you have the latest June 2010 DirectX as well as the 2010 VC redistributables

I don't know why the file didn't attach but I am going to try again in this post. If it doesn't attach in this post, I will copy and paste in a follow-up post.
I had already made certain that I had the latest direct X but I was amiss with visual C. I have now made certain of this.
I am still using my old system which is like an old friend. I have found that in my old age that I have a resistance to change – while a 2600 K processor and 16 gig of RAM plus the SSD drive has its own aluree, all of the work of getting the programs on the computer and trained cancels the aluree. Smile

PC Wizard 2010 Version 1.961
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: Microsoft
Organisation: Microsoft
User: Nathaniel
Computer Name: ANCIENT
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1
Report Date: Wednesday 24 August 2011at 20:48

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>
> Mainboard : Dell 0FJ030
> Chipset : Intel 945P
> Processor : Intel Pentium XE 820 @ 2800MHz
> Physical Memory : 3072MBDDR2-SDRAM
> Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P ATA Device (160GB)
> CD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 ATA Device
> CD-Rom Drive : PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801 ATA Device
> Monitor Type : T230H - 23 inches
> Network Card : Intel PRO/1000 PL Network Connection
> Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
> DirectX : Version 11.00
> Windows Performance Index : 4.5 on 7.9

What exactly happens? Does it crash to the desktop very frequently? If so, do you get a notification bubble about your video driver being reset?

That happened to me on both Vista and Windows 7. The fix involves a registry edit though so you might not want to tamper with that if you don't feel comfortable making changes that might end up with you having to reinstall Windows.

Edit: This is the Microsoft article I found which helped me:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx

I don't know if it's relevant to your problem but I figured I should post it anyway in case it's helpful :)

Basically for Vista and Windows 7, Windows steps in and resets the graphics driver if the graphics card takes longer than two seconds to do something. The idea is for Windows to prevent itself from locking if the graphics card has locked. However, demanding games do sometimes legitimately need a few seconds, so I think two seconds is too short. I made myself the TdrDelay DWORD key and then set the value to 10 (in decimal mode) so that Windows would wait ten seconds before resetting the graphics driver.

Most likely the file didn`t attach is because you may have exceeded the 500 KB upload limit . If you have uploaded pics or files from your computer to the forum...you would need to delete some before being able to attach more .

Could you list your vid card .

Have you tried the 3 GB switch .
Open Command prompt as administrator and copy this and paste in the dialog box
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

My graphics card is a Sapphire vapor X 5770
if you think it is the graphics card, then I can take the graphics card out of the other computer and put in here temporarily.It is a MSI Radeon R 6970.
I put it in the command prompt and it accepted it, so hopefully everything will be fine now. Thank you again

Ward Dragon
I may try that after all else fails. I'm going to try it now for a little while and see if it crashes again. It only says that the programs stopped running and it was analyzing the problem, plus it would let me know if it came up with a solution – which it did not, smile.

I wish to thank both of you for the help and I want both of you to know that I really do appreciate it.
Thanks
ancient

ancient11 said:
Ward Dragon
I may try that after all else fails. I'm going to try it now for a little while and see if it crashes again. It only says that the programs stopped running and it was analyzing the problem, plus it would let me know if it came up with a solution – which it did not, smile.

I wish to thank both of you for the help and I want both of you to know that I really do appreciate it.
Thanks
ancient

You're welcome :) For me, the notification about the graphics driver being reset wasn't a normal notification window. It was a yellowish pop-up bubble on the lower right side of the screen above the task bar. Also, mine had a different letter combination for the name of the graphics driver compared to the example picture on Microsoft's site. If you don't see anything like that at all, then it's probably something else.

Yeah i also had the error that Ward Dragon speaks of except mine was an Nvidia card . If you haven`t go to control panel>problem reports and solutions almost all errors will show up there or as an alternative you can check the windows logs .

It looks like it has now been cured or at least improved so much that it is no longer noticeable.
You have also helped educate me somewhat in Windows 7 – thank you
I have always realized that my CPU was the bottleneck in my computer but I never realized how much of a bottleneck until I received the overall score of 4.5. The rest of the system did real well.
I have just gotten through dealing with Alvin in the final chapter and now I am ready to start over and play the game again – smile. I really wish that I could get into Witcher two but for some reason it just does not appeal to me.
Thank you so much
ancient

Top Bottom