Cyberpunk restarting PC

+
i9, 32gig, 2800Super, m2 SSD, 650w gold rated psu. Running 1080p 144hz.

I get hard reset after about 20 minutes if ray tracing is on. If I turn it off, the game never crashes. I even tested this by just standing still while npc's walked passed me on the street. I let the game sit there, no menu or anything and it hard reset the PC as if I pushed the reset button on the motherboard.

(Side note: When the game first came out, it would not hard reset when ray tracing was on. Rather, it would crash and cyberpunk would say something like the game flatlined. Then you hit report and the game would shut down, but it would not restart the PC. Now it restarts the PC.

However...

The game used to crash after only 2 to 30 seconds with ray tracing on. Then I opened my PC, unplugged the power cables to the card, and the same plugs to the psu. It is fully modular. That now made it so I can run the game for 20 minutes with ray tracing.

I have a new PSU 750w coming to see if that fixes the issue.

I ran the Heaven test and passed, but the lowest fps has me concerned.

i9-9900
2080 RTX Ti
2x M2 NVMe 1 TB
850x Gold PSU
32 GB RAM
Custom oversized rig with hybrid cooling and compartmentalized components
My 15th or so custom rig that I hand built.

As of TODAY (11 JAN 2021), my computer has gone from crashing out of the game intermittently and infrequently (where just the game crashes) to hard rebooting the computer regularly. I am unable to enjoy/play the game for much more than 10 minutes at a time before it reboots my computer.

While there are various reasons a computer can reboot, and to clarify what other posters are assuming, an application can ABSOLUTELY cause a computer to reboot. Applications consume resources that an OS is supposed to manage; however, because of how code works, an app can make a request that the computer thinks it can provide resources for, when it cannot (an example would be for a config that doesn't exist, but through bad coding, the application thought it did and through bad management, the OS and the app attempt to fulfill that resource).

CP2077 - the beauty of the game was more than enough to make up for intermittent game crashes. It is NOT good enough to make up for consistent and regular OS/Computer crashes.

As an original player of the tabletop game back in the 90s (I still have my original RPG books) and a fan of the CP concept and stories (including creator of my own stories that I GM'd), it has been terribly, terribly disappointing trying to play this game through the bugs. I suppose it at least makes the lack of story more tolerable and the terrible 'forced' relationships excusable.

Troubleshooting:
Updated Drivers
Changed Graphics settings (game defaults to Ultra RT, but I have disabled RT and still no luck)
Event Viewer review

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz
Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC
Corsair RM750W power supply.
Playing all maxed out 1440p

EDIT: Cyberpunk no longer crashes. I've been playing for 5 hours now and no crashes occured/no reboots. Not sure if BIOS or chipset driver update helped.

EDIT2: For those who were concerned about audio issues crashing PC. I'm using wireless headphones (Logitech G733) and Bluetooth mouse (Logitech MX Anywhere 2). I did upgrade bluetooth drivers from MSI site but it seems that it was BIOS or chipset driver in the end that helped.

Greetings all, i had issues with CP2077 flatlining every 5-10minutes and BSOD every hour or so (apparently something with bluetooth and wireless) since switching graphics card (went from GTX970) and updating CP2077 to 1.04 and later. This doesn't happen on any other game that i play.
I've tried everything from updating Windows including optional updates, graphics drivers, rolling back drivers, reinstalling the game, verifying/repairing files multiple times and even repairing windows, turning off all non essential programs, running game with admin settings, and running the game without GOG launcher and the issue remained.
Yesterday I went directly to MSI motherboards drivers, downloaded and installed everything from bluetooth to chipset drivers and new BIOS update and now I've been playing for 2 hours without any issues. BIOS update has reset my settings and i didn't touch them since then but I believe that wasn't the issue since I had everything on default before except XMP and CPU virtualization turned on. I'll post any updates today once I get home and reapply my old settings to BIOS to see if it starts crashing again, but for now, I'm holding my fingers crossed and hoping that my issues got solved.

Last edited:
i9-9900
2080 RTX Ti
2x M2 NVMe 1 TB
850x Gold PSU
32 GB RAM
Custom oversized rig with hybrid cooling and compartmentalized components
My 15th or so custom rig that I hand built.

As of TODAY (11 JAN 2021), my computer has gone from crashing out of the game intermittently and infrequently (where just the game crashes) to hard rebooting the computer regularly. I am unable to enjoy/play the game for much more than 10 minutes at a time before it reboots my computer.

While there are various reasons a computer can reboot, and to clarify what other posters are assuming, an application can ABSOLUTELY cause a computer to reboot. Applications consume resources that an OS is supposed to manage; however, because of how code works, an app can make a request that the computer thinks it can provide resources for, when it cannot (an example would be for a config that doesn't exist, but through bad coding, the application thought it did and through bad management, the OS and the app attempt to fulfill that resource).

CP2077 - the beauty of the game was more than enough to make up for intermittent game crashes. It is NOT good enough to make up for consistent and regular OS/Computer crashes.

As an original player of the tabletop game back in the 90s (I still have my original RPG books) and a fan of the CP concept and stories (including creator of my own stories that I GM'd), it has been terribly, terribly disappointing trying to play this game through the bugs. I suppose it at least makes the lack of story more tolerable and the terrible 'forced' relationships excusable.

Troubleshooting:
Updated Drivers
Changed Graphics settings (game defaults to Ultra RT, but I have disabled RT and still no luck)
Event Viewer review
yikes this is quite a serious issue!

Applications consume resources that an OS is supposed to manage
Tough posting config of their ressources instead of the main hardware that manages ressources is (still) useless.

Post your mobos. It hosts more ressources than you think.

-edit- @cemerika
* GA-H97M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) gets ALC1150 audio codecs.
* MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon (your mobo) gets ALC1220 audio codecs (latest of the latests, I think)
* My computer, which I bough in 2020 in april (Predator Helios 300 PH315-53), have ALC295 codecs, which I use with a headphone having its own USB post-amp soundcard (i don't think it codecs anything).

To see your ALC, rigth click on Windows menu, go to device manager.
Then open audio, video and sound controlers
Find that realtech under that list
Rigth click, properties, events
Clic on one event and find the INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0295 comment there : DEV_0295 means I have ALC0295 (or ALC295). VEN_10EC means realtech.

I'd try a cheap sound card to test my hypothesis (with absolutly no garanty on that, but I allready saw computers reboot because of soundcard problems).
If it's the case, it's a software problem with either the game or NVidia drivers (that must direct decoded audio signals to its HDMI output : maybe they recompress the signal using other codec and then the game thinks its ALC latest and the video card say "no its a cheap audio norm, for your cheap tv", then under or overflow something, or go figure anything like that).

Or maybe try to put to the game' sound in mono in the options if possible ? If that wrks then try stereo etc until the game crash ?

More mobos, please !

Last edited:
Tough posting config of their ressources instead of the main hardware that manages ressources is (still) useless.

Post your mobos. It hosts more ressources than you think.

-edit- @cemerika
* GA-H97M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) gets ALC1150 audio codecs.
* MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon (your mobo) gets ALC1220 audio codecs (latest of the latests, I think)
* My computer, which I bough in 2020 in april (Predator Helios 300 PH315-53), have ALC295 codecs, which I use with a headphone having its own USB post-amp soundcard (i don't think it codecs anything).

To see your ALC, rigth click on Windows menu, go to device manager.
Then open audio, video and sound controlers
Find that realtech under that list
Rigth click, properties, events
Clic on one event and find the INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0295 comment there : DEV_0295 means I have ALC0295 (or ALC295). VEN_10EC means realtech.

I'd try a cheap sound card to test my hypothesis (with absolutly no garanty on that, but I allready saw computers reboot because of soundcard problems).
If it's the case, it's a software problem with either the game or NVidia drivers (that must direct decoded audio signals to its HDMI output : maybe they recompress the signal using other codec and then the game thinks its ALC latest and the video card say "no its a cheap audio norm, for your cheap tv", then under or overflow something, or go figure anything like that).

Or maybe try to put to the game' sound in mono in the options if possible ? If that wrks then try stereo etc until the game crash ?

More mobos, please !

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Motherboard
Corsair Memory, PSU, Case, Cooling
No-Sound-Card (integrated only)

I have gone without a sound card for most of my custom rigs since the early to mid 2000s. I have found that while you can definitely get 7.1 and a full breadth of cinema quality audio, I have never needed that out of my rigs. Furthermore, a video card will always add overhead for resource management compared to on-board/integrated audio. There can be scenarios where the on-board is total crap; however, audio is the least intensive component of a computer system, especially when you realize the requirements to provide 'realistic' audio.

It's hardware, absolutely. Been there. Problem is, it can be a lot of things. The GPU overheating (even if the tests say OK). The GPU just faulty period. The PSU unable to supply the GPU enough juice at critical moments, which may be the PSU's fault or not. If you use a USB protector, that could be cutting the juice at those critical moments. I stopped using them and only use a decent surge protector. Faulty RAM. Dying HD/SSD. Believe me I've been through *each* of these problems throughout the years, a true hell. Stressful games like Cyberpunk don't cause the problem, they just bring it up. Sorry I can't be of more help in pinpointing the issue, because it can be almost anything... Only definitive fix for me, totally new computer.

It's hardware, absolutely. Been there. Problem is, it can be a lot of things. The GPU overheating (even if the tests say OK). The GPU just faulty period. The PSU unable to supply the GPU enough juice at critical moments, which may be the PSU's fault or not. If you use a USB protector, that could be cutting the juice at those critical moments. I stopped using them and only use a decent surge protector. Faulty RAM. Dying HD/SSD. Believe me I've been through *each* of these problems throughout the years, a true hell. Stressful games like Cyberpunk don't cause the problem, they just bring it up. Sorry I can't be of more help in pinpointing the issue, because it can be almost anything... Only definitive fix for me, totally new computer.
Can't be temp.
Temp never peaks at the same moments in a game.
* Run for 10m, go to that point => failure
* Run for 10s, go to that point => failure

This is sound, imo.

asus prime 299x
intel core i7 7800x
32gb ram
970evo
evga rtx 2080ti xc ultra
was rebooting my pc every time i played at random places like going into or out of a bd
but since i changed my resolution from 1440p to 1080p i haven't had a single crash. but the game ran more smoothly at 1440p than it does at 1080p. im almost finished with the game now anyway so when ive finished i wont replay until its properly fixed.

@Sloane1701
- The 2080ti works best with res higher than 1080p, it is known to have trouble in lower resolutions. 1080p doesn't "need" top tier refresh rates because those screen are rarelly over 60-120Hz, so maybe NVidia made that choice.
- I "think" this mobo is S1200A, said to be a sub-version of ALC1220 (again). So far, we have 3 people having problem with an ALC1220 mobo and one with ALC1150.
- There was problems was those sound chips in the game, solution is (said to be) here : Sound Issues | Page 7 | Forums - CD PROJEKT RED

Last edited:
I also have this problem and it only started happening a few days ago. The PSU just shuts down and every time it happens my heart skips a beat :) Yes, it definitely looks like a hardware problem... BUT Cyberpunk is the only game that does this (no other game, benchmark or stress test has crashed so far!). Also, there are now several threads of people experiencing the problem, I cannot help to think the game does something weird by generating peak voltages or something.

In any case, I'll just leave my experience so hopefully it can help the devs/community to solve the puzzle.

I'm running:
5900x CPU on an MSI Tomahawk B550 board,
32GB @ 3600mhz,
3070 factory OC (tried downclocking didn't help),
650 W Titanium PSU (Seasonic)
..everything installed on SSD haven't overclocked anything. Also everything is pretty much completely new.

I ran HWmonitor to see what was going on just before a crash, nothing suspicious, temps remain around 65 C for both CPU/GPU no extreme power draws or voltages visible. Memory test comes back clean. Of course an erratic peak voltage will probably be missed by the HWmonitor log.

As said, I cannot reproduce the crash with any stress test or benchmark. CP2077 is pretty much the heaviest game I have, still the stress tests seem to push the system even harder without crashing it. This is what makes it more complicated.

What is interesting though it that I can pretty much trigger the crash by opening the map. It's not 100% but if I open it five times, it typically will happen. This is something I've also seen people mentioning on reddit. It is also suggestive of a rapid change that is causing the crash and not so much the total power draw.
Post automatically merged:

It's hardware, absolutely. (..) Stressful games like Cyberpunk don't cause the problem, they just bring it up. Sorry I can't be of more help in pinpointing the issue, because it can be almost anything... Only definitive fix for me, totally new computer.

Thing is, many people experiencing it run brand new CPU's and GPU's, and only experience it with Cyberpunk, including myself. Maybe that's part of the problem, that Cyberpunk brings out some erratic behavior on hardware that was just released and not thoroughly tested yet. I also think it is likely that there is more than a single problem going on.

Last edited:
I also have this problem and it only started happening a few days ago. The PSU just shuts down and every time it happens my heart skips a beat :) Yes, it definitely looks like a hardware problem... BUT Cyberpunk is the only game that does this (no other game, benchmark or stress test has crashed so far!). Also, there are now several threads of people experiencing the problem, I cannot help to think the game does something weird by generating peak voltages or something.

In any case, I'll just leave my experience so hopefully it can help the devs/community to solve the puzzle.

I'm running:
5900x CPU on an MSI Tomahawk B550 board,
32GB @ 3600mhz,
3070 factory OC (tried downclocking didn't help),
650 W Titanium PSU (Seasonic)
..everything installed on SSD haven't overclocked anything. Also everything is pretty much completely new.

I ran HWmonitor to see what was going on just before a crash, nothing suspicious, temps remain around 65 C for both CPU/GPU no extreme power draws or voltages visible. Memory test comes back clean. Of course an erratic peak voltage will probably be missed by the HWmonitor log.

As said, I cannot reproduce the crash with any stress test or benchmark. CP2077 is pretty much the heaviest game I have, still the stress tests seem to push the system even harder without crashing it. This is what makes it more complicated.

What is interesting though it that I can pretty much trigger the crash by opening the map. It's not 100% but if I open it five times, it typically will happen. This is something I've also seen people mentioning on reddit. It is also suggestive of a rapid change that is causing the crash and not so much the total power draw.
Post automatically merged:

Thing is, many people experiencing it run brand new CPU's and GPU's, and only experience it with Cyberpunk, including myself. Maybe that's part of the problem, that Cyberpunk brings out some erratic behavior on hardware that was just released and not thoroughly tested yet. I also think it is likely that there is more than a single problem going on.

Are you using the newest Nvidia driver (461.09)?
If so, I'd suggest reverting to an older version.
I experienced the same PC-restarting issues, but only when using the latest Nvidia drivers. Once I reverted back to 460.79 these issues went away.

Are you using the newest Nvidia driver (461.09)?
If so, I'd suggest reverting to an older version.
I experienced the same PC-restarting issues, but only when using the latest Nvidia drivers. Once I reverted back to 460.79 these issues went away.
ah yes, I read that, will try it thanks. Still it is weird that these things may be related. Do you also have a Ryzen 5000 and/or 30-series Geforce by the way?

ah yes, I read that, will try it thanks. Still it is weird that these things may be related. Do you also have a Ryzen 5000 and/or 30-series Geforce by the way?

I've got a Ryzen 9 5950x / Nvidia RTX 2080ti. As far as I'm aware, the game regularly crashes due to GPU issues, it's just that since Nivida driver 461.09 those crashes don't just flatline the game, they reboot the entire system. 460.79, for me atleast, is the most stable Nvidia driver version. (460.89 flatlines the game regularly, while 461.09 reboots the entire PC)

I've got a Ryzen 9 5950x / Nvidia RTX 2080ti. As far as I'm aware, the game regularly crashes due to GPU issues, it's just that since Nivida driver 461.09 those crashes don't just flatline the game, they reboot the entire system. 460.79, for me atleast, is the most stable Nvidia driver version. (460.89 flatlines the game regularly, while 461.09 reboots the entire PC)

So it seems to go better with the old drivers but I have been able to crash it though. However, I also remembered I recently turned off "depth of field", so I turned it on again. I then tried to crash the PC like I normally do (opening the map) but now it would not do it, at least in the 10 minutes I tried.. It is so strange.

Hello from France sorry for the spelling mistakes ...
I had the same problem with shutting down and restarting the PC, my problem was resolved after re-enabling c-states in bios

(i9-9900k + 2080ti x trio)

Wipe up your gpu drivers and install them again. You can also try to run a chkdsk and run some parameters, as well as defrag your system disk. I had this issue months ago with the same Power-Kernel ID message and i fixed it by doing all that.

Wipe up your gpu drivers and install them again. You can also try to run a chkdsk and run some parameters, as well as defrag your system disk. I had this issue months ago with the same Power-Kernel ID message and i fixed it by doing all that.
Well it's very unlikely to be a disk problem. Also you should not defrag an SSD, it doesn't help and will only reduce its life span.

Top Bottom