CP 2077 teaser: hidden details

+
Thats the bit that kinda worries me actually....
I think I know where your coming from. But I think that as long as they stay true to the level of realism they have done in 2020, (and forget that 203X ever existed,) then ramping up the punk factor should be fine. I guess it's up to us to provide an indication of how we, the players, see the progressive evolution of the game and where it is heading.

Pretty much what Sard said. Style over substance just means, its not enough to just be good at something, you also have to look good doing it.

Style with no substance gets you killed, but substance with no style means you won't get paid.

Chuck Norris and Steven Segal, 2 over the hill martial artist actors who have become little more than an embarrassing joke of their former selves. However, in their prime, they were champion level martial artists, world class skills... The difference between them was that Norris had Style, Segal ran limp wristed like a girl. Style matters. So we can forgive the pathetic old fool that Norris has become since he sold out to TV and infomercials, but Segal doesn't get that benefit, because his movies were always crap.

And they both pale in comparison to Jackie Chan, who may have eventually sold out to disney for a while, but then went right back to Hong Kong to make more amazing movies...

Style baby.... style....
Bruce Willis is a prime example here. He's almost 59 years old, has been acting for about 30 years and is past his prime, (note that I say this with deep respect.) But that doesn't mean anything. He's still a badass and will be for another 10 years. Arny and Stallone are more good examples.

Style over substance...this bothers me really. I've been meaning to start a thread on it. When it comes to anything, I don't actually want style over substance, I want substance. I can't be the only one worried about this odd theme.
Slim, don't worry. 2020 was about style over substance too. Lets compare style to a flashy pimp who can't back up what he says. he may look snazzy, but he wont get anywhere because he can't enforce his will. Meanwhile, substance is an accountant. he gets stuff done and it's very important stuff; he can be the best
accountant in the world, but who wants to play 'Accounting Simulator 2014'? Merge the two, preferably leaning more to style, and you have a Crimelord who has dominated the the world of vice. If you had to be one of the above, (forgetting all moral issues,) who would you rather be?

The Style over Substance principal isn't the game in general, its the cyberpunk ethos. As Sard said, it's fundamental. here's more examples:
- Mad Max threatening everyone with that sawn off, yet it wasn't loaded.
- Dread 3D - "I said, HOT SHOT!" He could have just shot the guy in the head, but shooting him in the mouth with a flare was more badass.
In fact, any good action film you have ever seen, (you know, the ones with awesome one liners that live on forever,) has Style over Substance. It IS what makes them good action movies.

(On a related note, my GF has just informed me that filming has begun on the new mad max movie...)

It's a fundamental theme of Cyberpunk 2020, though. It represents the idea that you have to not only perform well, but look good doing it. Some of it is tongue-in-cheek, as Morgan Blackhand will happily take fools who can't perform to task - briefly - but much of it represents the professions equivalent of "the future is disposable" ethos.

Those who have substance but no style go nowhere. Those who have style but no substance can do very well for themselves. Those who have both represent the tip-top of the Cyberpunk ethos.

That's the idea, anyway.

Well that makes sense, especially considering the future is disposable idea. I admit there's a few things I need to wrap my head around with the genre. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Heh, it's funny that the guy from the concept art is one of the victims.

Swag jacket guy, we barely knew ye, but this IS Cyberpunk.

Poor swag jacket guy (i like the name you gave him)

And thus, a meme was born: swag jacket guy.

Now he needs to be in the game.

No, his brother needs to be the mortal enemy of the new Psycho-Squad recruit...
Page 38 of CP2020 core rulebook...
During her character creation she obviously made an enemy and rolled an 8, 2, 1, 1 and I'm hoping for a 6...

And thus, a meme was born: swag jacket guy.

Now he needs to be in the game.

What would they call him in game though? Swag Jacket Guy? :D

Or would it be a reference like "Nick has a swag jacket, don't you think?" :D

Possibilities are limitless.

Top Bottom