"Price of Power" Expansion Set Officially Revealed!

+
Maybe it is a bit nostalgia goggles speaking. I just miss when the faction revolved around the graveyard, with Strengthening units and some transforming into beasts in the graveyard and all that. The little graveyard manipulation we have now doesn't really compare to that. Maybe if they ever get to sorting the SK Beasts archetype out we will see more of it.

Judging by the flavor text on the expansion page it seems to be Weather focused cards. I'm thinking it will be more Ships/Pirates support which is cool too. Maybe ships that gets boosted if there's Rain on the board and such.
Hopefully it won't ultimately end up somehow just empowering Warriors more like what has happened before.
I would be surprised about Ships/Pirates.
Given the "using ancient rituals" description can be found on PlayGwent I would assume it should be Druid support.
This would also make sense given the Magic focus of the expansion, with each of the other factions being focused on them (even MO).

Guest 4375874

I mean ... we got a gigantic carryover card, a 4p pseudo-"The Beast" and a bronze card with the strengthen keyword.
Those are pretty exciting ... unlike the Rat Memeress.

Actually what I am wondering is whether the other 2 card drops in the next 4 months will follow the same theme.
So does that mean we (might) get more Relict support in the next months ?
What card has "strengthen"?

The only interesting card so far is really She who knows and that depends on how her description is interpreted, the rest have very restrictive conditions that aren't easy to achieve or maintain.

What card has "strengthen"?

The only interesting card so far is really She who knows and that depends on how her description is interpreted, the rest have very restrictive conditions that aren't easy to achieve or maintain.
Gan Ceann and Rat Catcheress have what is effectively strengthen.

I wonder if the arts shown during the latest Open will be cards in this drop.

There was the mage coming out of a portal (would have to be either NG or Neutral), the siren with a bottle of presumably tears (would pretty much have to be SK), and the mage exorcising a spirit or pulling out a soul or something like that (could be anything except ST).

I wonder if the arts shown during the latest Open will be cards in this drop.

There was the mage coming out of a portal (would have to be either NG or Neutral), the siren with a bottle of presumably tears (would pretty much have to be SK), and the mage exorcising a spirit or pulling out a soul or something like that (could be anything except ST).
There is also still the Construct from the Stygga Castle reveal.
Some of them might also be part of "Project Golden Nekker" though.

What bothers me the most about the revealed cards so far is the lack of a common theme. WoW was all about witchers, each school tailored to fir the corresponding faction (sometimes even at the expense of everyday and game logic), MoO - about scenarios and new strategems.
But this here just feels like a bunch of cards per faction. SY is about bounties (okay, that's the response to the magic running amok everywhere), MO now have even more growth (although I was really hoping for some interesting specials) and Relicts (symbolizing ancient magic reawakening?). And NR just has... some mages and a drunk magic contest? What's so "Price of Power" about them? Kiyan has more to do with sacrificing something for power then these guys.
BTW, met the first "preorder" opponent (with the Pyre coin) today. The coin looks nice, but the match itself consisted of him playing two cards, then autoforfeiting after three turns of inactivity. I hope the person hasn't died during the match.

Blightmaker.png

Turns out it is manipulation of the own deck. This is a very interesting mechanic.
So either this is a practically unconditional 7 for 5 or a Rot Tosser (while the choice is completely free), quite flexible.

View attachment 11221349

Turns out it is manipulation of the own deck. This is a very interesting mechanic.
So either this is a practically unconditional 7 for 5 or a Rot Tosser (while the choice is completely free), quite flexible.
I like the card in general. But it also means even more poison in NG (unitless included), So tired of poison.
Also - why is the "Human" tag here different from how it appears on NR cards?

Last edited:
I would be surprised about Ships/Pirates.
Given the "using ancient rituals" description can be found on PlayGwent I would assume it should be Druid support.
This would also make sense given the Magic focus of the expansion, with each of the other factions being focused on them (even MO).
True, I didn't think about that. I don't see how weather would fit in with the other druid cards gameplay-wise but lore-wise it would make sense.
SK weather reminded me of beta ships which is why I made that connection. Skellige ships being immune to bad weather just added so much flavor it really made you feel like you were braving the stormy seas. I miss that feeling.

True, I didn't think about that. I don't see how weather would fit in with the other druid cards gameplay-wise but lore-wise it would make sense.
SK weather reminded me of beta ships which is why I made that connection. Skellige ships being immune to bad weather just added so much flavor it really made you feel like you were braving the stormy seas. I miss that feeling.
Well, Rain is SK's prefered Weather and Rain more or less sets up Boar of the Wild Sea, so that feeling is not entirely gone.
Maybe Skellige Storm could also see an SK rework, given Burza's comment on that it could happen.

Regarding Blightmaker:
His deploy enables access to almost every card in the next round. Big drawbacks are probably that in round 3 the value of the card will be limited.
What I consider to be very questionable is that the card is very similiar to Albrich. Albrich is basically a 6 for 7 + top decking. Blightmaker would be a 7 for 5 in case of unit top decking. So Albrich must be significantly buffed. Otherwise he´s worse both in value and provisions.

As already shown he is the better top decker than an already existing cards. If he top decks a speical, he would be like a rot tosser with 1 lower body + top decking. Buth then you must be sure to have other poisoners in hand.

Synergies: Affan Hillergrand

Regarding Blightmaker:
His deploy enables access to almost every card in the next round. Big drawbacks are probably that in round 3 the value of the card will be limited.
What I consider to be very questionable is that the card is very similiar to Albrich. Albrich is basically a 6 for 7 + top decking. Blightmaker would be a 7 for 5 in case of unit top decking. So Albrich must be significantly buffed. Otherwise he´s worse both in value and provisions.

As already shown he is the better top decker than an already existing cards. If he top decks a speical, he would be like a rot tosser with 1 lower body + top decking. Buth then you must be sure to have other poisoners in hand.

Synergies: Affan Hillergrand
Blightmaker is only more efficient than Albrich if tutoring Mages, also unlike Albrich it does not create carryover.
Blightmaker + Affan is 9 for 5+4 = 9 (4 for the upgrade provisions Affan takes).
Albrich + Affan is 11 for 7+4 = 11 (4 for the upgrade provisions Affan takes).
In terms of tutoring Affan both are equally good (Albrich is probably better due to the higher tempo).

I think Blightmaker could be good in Devotion spy Assimilate decks since it's an Agent (which boosts Usurper Emperor) and can spawn a Cow Carcass, which is a Spying unit that isn't in your starting deck.

Definitely a deck I will try, regardless of what the other three new cards are. Basically, I could simply rebuild my old Devoted Spies and replace a 5 or two. :think:

You don't want to pick a soldier with him because he wouldn't Spawn a "Do Golems Dream Of Magic Sheep" with those.

Ah, thx it is written mage and not unit. That´s good to know
Blightmaker is only more efficient than Albrich if tutoring Mages, also unlike Albrich it does not create carryover.
Blightmaker + Affan is 9 for 5+4 = 9 (4 for the upgrade provisions Affan takes).
Albrich + Affan is 11 for 7+4 = 11 (4 for the upgrade provisions Affan takes).
In terms of tutoring Affan both are equally good (Albrich is probably better due to the higher tempo).

Yes, somehow did not read the mage.

What bothers me the most about the revealed cards so far is the lack of a common theme. WoW was all about witchers, each school tailored to fir the corresponding faction (sometimes even at the expense of everyday and game logic), MoO - about scenarios and new strategems.
But this here just feels like a bunch of cards per faction. SY is about bounties (okay, that's the response to the magic running amok everywhere), MO now have even more growth (although I was really hoping for some interesting specials) and Relicts (symbolizing ancient magic reawakening?). And NR just has... some mages and a drunk magic contest? What's so "Price of Power" about them? Kiyan has more to do with sacrificing something for power then these guys.
I don't see a reason why cards would need to fit into a specific theme at all. I am fine with it being this way, they do have a theme within their own faction but I see no reason why different factions need to have the same theme. You can't combine cards of different factions into your deck anyway. Doing a different theme for each faction actually makes them feel more original and diverse.

As for Kiyan, I don't think he was willingly sacrificing anything lol, he was basically kidnapped by a crazy sadistic mage who then proceeded to do horrible experiments on him against his will, eventually turning him into a cursed vessel of destruction (he wanted to bind a demon into the witcher's body so he can control him). But since Kiyan himself was an douchebag (he was a freelance bounty hunter, or more precisely a hired killer) you don't feel too sorry for him, even though the mage who did that to him was way more evil. :l

Last edited:
[...]
I meant Kiyan as a card. If he destroys his target, he dies. New NR cards have nothing to do with "price", yet they are a part of the "Price of Power" expansion"
The new NR cards gain value by waiting on the board ... which is dangerous, due to removal. Whenever you "greed them" you risk losing an awful lot of points (especially on the Legendary and Epic).

The new NR cards gain value by waiting on the board ... which is dangerous, due to removal. Whenever you "greed them" you risk losing an awful lot of points (especially on the Legendary and Epic).
"Price of Patience" or "Price of Greed" then? I don't hate the new cards, it's just they have nothing to do with "tapping unspeakable power and paying the price for it". Then again, all modern Gwent is "mechanics over lore".
BTW, NR and SY are still without bronze purifiers, unless there will be changes to existing cards' abilities.

Top Bottom