CP77 Wardrobes and Styles

+
There is definielty something to be said for the classic look of Bladerunner:

There is definielty something to be said for the classic look of Bladerunner:

I completely agree on that, i would be really disappointed if i don't see some Blade Runner style fashion in CP77..

Clothing in Blade Runner had the right quality that combined comfort and cyberpunk together.. It seemed just right.. It wasn't too sci-fi, so to speak..

An influence, not a big one though. Remember the article where they basically said 'we aren't making Blade Runner'?

I expect a different aesthetic.

there will be influences but you can see it also as tributes.

here is a quote from CDPRED about the design of the AVs

The AV is classic in shape, inspired by similar vehicles inBlade Runner. Call this our tribute to a great movie, though the game’s influences are many – fromGhost in the Shellto the novels of William Gibson.

GITS or Akira is the vision I personally see for '77. There's a more intimate, dirty feel to those anime than the vast city scapes of Blade Runner.

*forgive me for using dubbed versions.

Actually, I would prefer a mix of both styles. Clothes from Blade Runner and architecture from Ghost in the Shell.

Actually, I would prefer a mix of both styles. Clothes from Blade Runner and architecture from Ghost in the Shell.

Yes, me too.
Ghost In The Shell achitecture's amazing they can go for it with closed eyes, but when it comes to "people", they don't really catch the vibe (excepted for the main characters, everyone is more or less bland), Blade Runner's fashion is way more stylish (of course, it would need some lifting, but the idea is here)

They may not be making Blade Runner, but it is one of their primary influences, as it was for CP2020. The trailer is utterly BR, neon future city, spinner, cops, murderous machine person - you can even compare her to Pris:

Ghost In The Shell achitecture's amazing they can go for it with closed eyes, but when it comes to "people", they don't really catch the vibe (excepted for the main characters, everyone is more or less bland).

I believe that is intended, so as not to detract from said main characters. (It also could be construed as an insight into the 'focused' mindset of Section 9 members - they are not distracted by people.)

Yes, me too.
Ghost In The Shell achitecture's amazing they can go for it with closed eyes, but when it comes to "people", they don't really catch the vibe (excepted for the main characters, everyone is more or less bland), Blade Runner's fashion is way more stylish (of course, it would need some lifting, but the idea is here)

the people in Ghost in the Shell are cyber but not punk.....

the people in Ghost in the Shell are cyber but not punk.....

Well, they are "cops", and we've already talked about how "unpunk" being the cop is in a setting like this... but a lot of great cyberpunk featuring cops as the protagonists have been piling up over the years. It's still arguable though... Arise kind of presents what the characters would be if they hadn't (or have been previous to) joined S9. The manga kind of hints at the possibility that Batou was a mugger once. Motoko is in some incarnations kind of spunky and has this dilemma of not being the legal owner of her prosthetic body and her technofetishism sometimes has her working freelance to get toys like those wasps from HEP.
SAC is very unstylized, and that's why a lot of the "punk" flavor is kind of lost. Everyone pretty much dresses the way people do in the Japan of our days (except for Motoko in the first half of the 1st season). Maybe none of them is like a dashing vice cop with aviator glasses and a massive impractical gun in a precint where every agent is kind of its own freak of nature (that I would like to GM if I had a group that was into the PnP), but still, there's some things that tell you these guys do their work mostly because they're good at it.

It's not like there is absolutely no "punk" vibe in Ghost In The Shell clothes. There is:

But most of the time main crew is dressed in tactical clothing, armors etc., as they are members of well financed, secret police - on duty. And yes Blade Runner clothing is much more "punk" and fit to CP universe.

Buildings on the other hand, are to extreme, too big and over the edge ("pyramids" and fumes of fire on rooftops). I prefer more "grounded" mix of old and new from GITS.

GITS or Akira is the vision I personally see for '77. There's a more intimate, dirty feel to those anime than the vast city scapes of Blade Runner.

I agree, i didn't watch Akira, but the architecture of GITS seemed a lot like the way i imagined Night City.. A mixture of all three would serve CP77 well..

*forgive me for using dubbed versions.

GITS is one the only anime where dubs can be considered excusable.. While i wouldn't call it great, it is not as nearly as bad as the One Piece dub..

It's not like there is absolutely no "punk" vibe in Ghost In The Shell clothes. There is:

But most of the time main crew is dressed in tactical clothing, armors etc., as they are members of well financed, secret police - on duty. And yes Blade Runner clothing is much more "punk" and fit to CP universe. .

true they are mostly dressed with tactical clothing, which makes sense. Also in the original manga Motokos design was more punky, i liked that style a lot

[video=youtube;1FH-q0I1fJY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FH-q0I1fJY[/video]

Now this lot 'look' the part, but the music does sweet FA for me.

There is an British artist Jamie Christopher Hewlett, also known as "Gorillaz guy". He's the creator of Tank Girl comics, and I firmly believe, that this guy has mastered punkish character design. Just love his style. I wouldn't mind if similar - over the top - style was also present in the game.

Top Bottom