Did you like the new ending of Phantom Liberty? (My Opinion) [SPOILER]

+
I didn't say he's a bad guy, a kind of cold killer, happy to kill you from far. No his a good guy, but a patriot above all ;)
But at the end, he let V a chance and the choice. The choice between giving him So Mi or dying... And from what we heard before, his main goal is not (no longer) So Mi good, it's to fulfill his duty.
So to fulfill his duty, if V have to die or even if So Mi have to die, so be it.

I won't say more "evil", this "ending" point out that duties come first and over anything else, as Johnny pointed out in front of the tree surrounded by candles before.
This is exactly why he's not angry against So Mi betrayal. He understand why she did it and he would have done the same. Alex understand why V have to kill Reed, that's just how it is in the FIA. It's sad, but it's the job :)
You are probably right, but at the end I would like to point out one further aspect, that Johnny condemns Songbird either, when one chooses Black Steel.

I even have a recording of it (I mean three Nietzsche quotes in a row - i had to send it to a friend :D)

Cyberpunk 2077® 2024.01.24 - 03.02.38.31.png

Unfortunately I can't implement the clip here (only a photo of the scene I made), but he says Songbird "sold her soul" to "Black Wall Demons", basically has become a monster, and quotes Nietzsche, to keep it short.

But yeah, if one would have the knowledge of all outcomes, Reed is maybe just a part of "the banality of evil" as well as Myers,

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't implement the clip here (only a photo of the scene I made), but he says Songbird "sold her soul" to "Black Wall Demons", basically has become a monster, and quotes Nietzsche, to keep it short.
Just my opinion, but everything So Mi ever did since she was "hired" by force by Reed for the FIA (outside of her "terrible plan" to escape from Myers claws), she did it for NUSA/mayers. She betrayed Reed not because she want to, because Myers ordered it, She pierced the black wall not because she want to, because Myers ordered her to do it.

So if she die and could become a "monster", it's Myers fault. She's the monster Myers created ;)
(you know, like a famous serie... The monster you created^^)

Just my opinion, but everything So Mi ever did since she was "hired" by force by Reed for the FIA (outside of her "terrible plan" to escape from Myers claws), she did it for NUSA/mayers. She pierced the black wall not because she want to, because Myers ordered her to do it.
What was stopping her from refusing? Think she'd be killed on the spot? Think they'd threaten someone else to coerce her? We're assuming a lot of info we don't really have tbh aren't we?

What was stopping her from refusing? Think she'd be killed on the spot? Think they'd threaten someone else to coerce her? We're assuming a lot of info we don't really have tbh aren't we?
Yes, she pierced the black wall to use it as weapon, to face Arasaka soul killer ;)
Beside, she was "hired" when she was young with two choice either work for FIA, either go in jail for years. She never get really the choice.
With what she know about Myers, the black wall, yes she will be eliminated no doubt. That's the point of Myers dialogue to Reed at the space port. We can risk So Mi reveal what she know, she a "bomb" which can blow up NUSA (and obviously her^^).

Taht's why she plan to escape at all cost from Myers/FIA/NUSA?
Because if she stay, she will be "forced" to use the black wall and will die. Either she escape, either she die, simple as that :)

Yes, she pierced the black wall to use it as weapon, to face Arasaka soul killer ;)
Beside, she was "hired" when she was young with two choice either work for FIA, either go in jail for years. She enver get really the choice.

With what she know about Myers, the black wall, yes she will be eliminated no doubt. That's the point of Myers dialogue to Reed at the space port. We can risk So Mi reveal what she know, she a "bomb" which can blow up NUSA (and obviously her^^).
So she honestly thinks she'll just schlep off on her own now that she has old net rabies in her head and she'll be responsible for that on her own I guess without causing a doomsday scenario?

I dunno about you but I'd take imprisonment at the start of that mission if I didn't want to dip my soul in battery acid just to chase a thrill. So Mi is shown to have a bit of a predilection for risky netrunning. Thrill seeking behavior til it's time to find out.

Edit: Just to clarify, not attacking anyone's opinion. I'm a fence sitter for the most part with this story. These are just the questions I ask myself, feel free to ignore me if it's no fun.

So she honestly thinks she'll just schlep off on her own now that she has old net rabies in her head and she'll be responsible for that on her own I guess without causing a doomsday scenario?
If you send her to the moon, she will use the matrix to erase everything she get from the black wall and will live...
What was stopping her from refusing?
Remember, the corpo intro ?
"Don't ask stupid question V! It's not a task you can refuse".
Jenkins is "only" a "little" boss. So now, imagine like So Mi, you're under the direct orders of the president of NUSA... It's always tasks you can refuse :D

Just my opinion, but everything So Mi ever did since she was "hired" by force by Reed for the FIA (outside of her "terrible plan" to escape from Myers claws), she did it for NUSA/mayers. She betrayed Reed not because she want to, because Myers ordered it, She pierced the black wall not because she want to, because Myers ordered her to do it.

So if she die and could become a "monster", it's Myers fault. She's the monster Myers created ;)
(you know, like a famous serie... The monster you created^^)
Yeah you have brought up good points about Reed and that Songbird shouldn't get in the hands of Myers as a weapon. And you are absolute right about Myers, as I said, I dispises her either :D . Only leaves the question, how much is maybe Songbirds owe fault, regarding her life decisions. But for that I think, I would have to play it again, to refresh my memory. I only can say that I never felt much sympathy for her.

However, there is one aspect I`m now curies about how you would regard it - that Songbird is eventually betrays V as well. I think this is even the reason why I never liked her in the first place, because I had always the feeling that she will thow her under the bus as well. (that she is never telling the whole truth - giant red flag)

I mean, when we put the fact aside that she shouldn't get in the hands of the FIA, did she really deserves the loyalty of V? Would V not rather have the right after her betrayal, to chose her live over Songbirds?

Yeah you have brought up good points about Reed and that Songbird shouldn't get in the hands of Myers as a weapon. And you are absolute right about Myers, as I said, I dispises her either :D . Only leaves the question, how much is maybe Songbirds owe fault, regarding her life decisions. But for that I think, I would have to play it again, to refresh my memory. I only can say that I never felt much sympathy for her.

However, there is one aspect I`m now curies about how you would regard it - that Songbird is eventually betrays V as well. I think this is even the reason why I never liked her in the first place, because I had always the feeling that she will thow her under the bus as well. (that she is never telling the whole truth - giant red flag)

I mean, when we put the fact aside that she shouldn't get in the hands of the FIA, did she really deserves the loyalty of V? Would V not rather have the right after her betrayal, to chose her live over Songbirds?

Songbird not all "white" either (nobody is), she took bad decisions in the past, she lied/manipulated V. But at least, I can understand why she want to get out from the death trap she's in at all cost. If she stay at FIA she dies, if she leave, she dies... So well, sure she's desesperate and likely take even more bad decision.

Well for Songbird, V is just a random merc she doesn't know... At this point she's so desesperate that it doesn't matter (knowing she have no "friend" and can trust anyone...). At least, until the very end in the train, when she confesses everything and apologizes, believing that V will let her down and let her die (which doesn't happen with my V).

Beside, well... In my opinion V is not really in position to really judge Songbird either. V dies because he/she decided to steal a tech from the most powerful corpo in the world (one could say that you harvest what you sow). Then it depend of the ending, but V say he/she will help Hanako & Goro if she say everything about Mikoshi. Something which never happen if you don't choose the Devil ending (Hanako and Goro dies in all other endings).

Edit :
In short, I can understand why Songbird did what she did and do what she do, while I just can't with Reed.
That's also why I really like Alex. At the end, she receive the order to kill V from Myers and never will be able to quit FIA and Night City until V's death.
But she "decide" to not kill V despite of her orders. I have no doubt that Reed would.

Last edited:

"DID YOU LIKE THE NEW ENDING OF PHANTOM LIBERTY? (MY OPINION)"

I loved it. T'was a nice distraction. I got into trouble in the spaceport because I asked too many questions. Will shut up next time, see where that leads. There seem to be like 4 new endings? Well, not interested in those as it's Songbird all the way.

I just love Asian women, especially those that get rid of glitching gonks, which I'd hoped would be permanent. Made sure the last obstacle sustained a spontaneous cardiac arrest before he was able to complete his sentence. Really enjoyed the climax.

Ah, nice. Gotta search out more of those cinematics.

Morale of that one, the moment things start to stink in a tubular space, just purge everyone fore they do you. Reed is too much of a softie for that me guesses, he couldn't
... even look Aymeric in the face in that garage.
Least look em in the eyes, it's a matter of respect.

About the endings, I did the medal thing first, and still picked the Arasaka Tower raid as I couldn't make myself wipe Johnny like that. It felt like a chicken way out too. (my lore)

Then I tried the black clinic launch out of curiosity and learned that Myers is a bully. Ho ho ho, no way I'll side with her since then, lol. Powerful bullies are my primary targets. Song stinks through and through (my lore) and I couldn't care less for one more corpse on my wake. Launching her upp is the best middle finger to Myers, so there Song goes.

Last edited:
Nope, didn't like it at all. I felt after all the effort V made through the game putting blind trust in the NUSA went against everything. For me it was worse then using the gun.

Hey there, I recently finished Cyberpunk with the new Phantom Liberty ending, and would like to leave my opinion now, besides listening to what you guys think about it.

Overall I have to say that I liked it, because it adds an ending to the game, where V actually survives (where her true consciousness doesn’t get wiped by Mikoshi) and which is even kind of hopeful.

However, on the other hand there are some minor aspects of it, that bother me a little and which I would consider as lazy writing.

View attachment 11382202View attachment 11382205View attachment 11382208

(A few pics of my main V)​

Here a few examples:

For context, I had a playthrough with a female, heterosexual V, in which Judy left Night City to get to the state of Washington, to live with her grandparents I think (she actually sends pictures). However, during the phone call with her in the FIA hospital, V is surprised that she isn’t in Night City anymore (like she still is, when you end up with her).

During the sad dialog with River, V only has one dialog option at the end, after River said it’s over, because he basically wants to punish himself. In this case, V accepts this way to quick, considering the fact that she is in love with him, and if you consider the ending in which V leaves Night City with the Nomads. There she is actually quite sad that River wants to stay in Night City – even becomes angry. But here she is just like: Okay, if you want to :/ and that’s it. (And even though she is in a much more desperate situation here.)

When Reeds offers help to V, I think she is way to desperate to get instead back to Night City. That also felt out of place, considering that during the end of my playthrough I had multiple times the option to make her say things like “This town took very thing from me” and even that, if she could, she would never had come to Night City. (I think at one place she even says to Judy, that she would leave Night City as well if she could.) Yeah, she even calls Night City "Home" in the new ending.

I think this could have easily been fixed with a further dialog option, that makes V say something like: “Okay, but before I have to visit a friend for one last time (Vik).” or “Let me at least say goodbye to my old live.” Of course, in the beginning of the game, V wants to be on top and a that she isn’t a killing machine anymore must be hard to accept, however, during the playthrough I got the impression, that her priority drastically changed after “The Heist”. That she doesn’t necessarily wants to have her old live back, be a legend, but would just be happy if she could survive somehow and start again – exactly as its offers to her at the end.

But yeah – in general I got the impression, that the phone calls are deliberately depressing. I mean, all of your close friends basically turning out to be assholes, beside Vik and River.

Of course, all of this is supposed to represent the emotional damage of V and I even kinda liked it, because its shows you, who is really Vs friend. However, I think with a few more dialog options this could had felt more dynamic and less deliberate. I mean:

Judy turns out to be a giant disappointment, because she is now a married uptown girl, that lives in Pittsburgh, and you can’t even came for a visit (as a friend in need!), because her wife could be jealous or something I supposed. (I mean Kerry at last offers you money and assures you to help you, when he is back form Europe) This doesn’t really fits Judys character, I think. And 2 years aren’t even that much, that she would change so strong, in my opinion. (its even more than two years since Cyberpunk itself came out).

And Panam doesn’t even wants to talk to you at all, because you have been in a coma for 2 years… err, sorry, I guess? ^^ Seriously, this seems so over drastically and emotionally unstable, and I in real live, I for example would just like be: Okay, than screw yourself. Get some help :D

And to be honest, Misty is also not a great help either, after you just had been almost beaten to death by some punks! (and which was also predicable in my opinion (that V will be beaten up (at first I even thought that they will make her die like this.)) After a few kind words, Misty immediately needs to get her Delamain to got to Poland – leaves a quite vulnerable and emotional instable V in the streets of Night City. Okay… I wouldn’t really consider that a friend either. ^^

But yeah, overall I liked the ending. It really stuck to me for a few days, its conveys deep emotions, and was even more touching than the suicide ending, especially through the dialog with Johnny in the AV. If one gets the accepting Johnny here instead of the resentfull, it really feels like he made his peace after a life as a terrorist (although he is actually just a copy of the real Johnny), and if one considers the other possible endings for him – going behind the Blackwall, which really doesn’t seems to be a nice place by what we know through the fate of Songbird.

So after all, for me this ending really offers a new live for V. In my imagination, she simply takes some money form her friends and “friends”, leaves Night City once and for all, maybe accepts the offer by Reed, and founds a family – lives in a big house in the countryside and gets a bunch of kids or something. : D

View attachment 11382211View attachment 11382214

I actually even took the time to further imagen her fate via the photo mod. That sums the game up for me.

View attachment 11382217View attachment 11382220

So long story short - I even consider it a happy ending for V.

View attachment 11382223
Well, endings are written in this way not because they are reasonable but because there should not be "good" endings. So reasoning is bending over to match the LORE of the game. But mods must help! I'm personally study ways to use deepfake to change an ending for Panam. Main idea: Mitch invite V to come because Panam is angry but still loves V. And who is Mitch?

Honestly, the Tower became my favorite ending. But it wasn't the case in the first place, it was unexpected and I didn't know what to think about it.
But on replay and while paying a lot more attention to it, it turned out to be the best for my V because I played the character as someone wanting survival above all else.
And yes, V makes friends & allies along the way, maybe find love and some sort of closure but in the end, V is going to fade away and if an opportunity to reclaim their life is in front of them, they'll grab it.
Also what made me really like this ending is when have unlocked the "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" ending, Johnny isn't resentful of V's decision and understands why they're doing it, Johnny's final words while saying V's full name was the best closure Valerie/Vincent could have wished for.

The best ending for the DLC is clearly to help Songbird escape, and then give her over to Reed right at the end. Songbird is clearly in no fit state to go anywhere by this point, least of all the moon. The Gs from the take-off alone would be too much for her to handle and her best option clearly lies with Reed, who can at least help her - even if it means she's back where she started, basically a prisoner. It beats the alternative.

This option also ensures the survival of all three main characters, prevents Songbird's lethal cyberpsycho meltdown, and prevents the extremely dubious and nefarious Night Corp from getting hold of the dangerous Blackwall technology. We've all seen how Mr Blue Eyes uses the technology at his disposal in an earlier side mission....

As an added bonus it also spares you from the god-awful, stressful, PTSD-inducing "Alien Isolation" survival horror mission, which I personally found unbearable (yeah I know some people love it, it's extremely divisive - probably the most divisive videogame mission since Half Life 2 Episode 2's "defend White Forest" climax).

Personally I found the SoL ending where C calls Reed and undergoes the treatment depressing rather than optimistic. Seeing the character I'd put so spent so much time with losing everything save for the clothes on their back, and literally becoming a total nobody - just another lost face in the crowd, abandoned by all their friends and everyone they cared about was a very bitter pill to swallow. I can see how some people might find it uplifting, but I did not.

That said, it could make for an interesting aspect of Cyperpunk Orion - should V return in some capacity. V as a fixer, either giving missions to the new protagonist, or involved in some other way.

Finally finished Phantom liberty and got the surgery. Having already read a lot of spoilers I wasn't surprised and will give my take on how I felt about it. Some background, my V is a corpo, she is a woman and she is in a relationship with Judy.

The Good:
  1. Liked the send-off with Johnny, we were friends at the end and that was nicely done.
  2. Meeting Delamain and finding out what happened there.
  3. Arasaka getting pawned.
  4. Rogues call in the end felt really on brand and the correct type of bittersweet.

The Bad:
  1. The fact that V is completely helpless. Like seriously, V was pretty damn tough before the implants. I get that being in a coma set her back physically. But it feels like everybody only talk about it being nothing at all she can do, and it's not addressed that she could still get back to her baseline as it was before combat implants. In short, she will never be as tough as she was, but she will be able to fight off some random thugs.
  2. The phrasing of her texts to Judy and Vic. I get that she can't say everything, but both these guys know a lot about her situation and she could have said something.
  3. The phone calls. Judys was okey-ish, i get that she has moved on. But she has moved on quite a lot so to speak. River and Kerry was ok. Panams is a complete shitshow. I would have worked so much better if Panam had called in the end to give a similar speech to Rogues about you being welcome but maybe you should stay away.
  4. They seriously don't have automatic payments in 2077? My girl left for surgery having several millions on her account and now there is nothing left? Or what, did Militech steal her funds?
General thoughts:
  1. I'll never help Reed again, felt like a complete monster and I only did it to get this specific ending.
  2. My big problem with the ending was more that it felt empty.
  3. My V will work for Langely, she started out a Corpo and only became a Merc because of Jackie.
  4. I wish there would have been some dialogue for you if you are kind of ok with not being a merc, like I tried it and it led to a lot of problems and broken friendships. I'm done and actually ok with moving on.
  5. Also, did Misty take a lesson in how to dress to impress? She looked a lot better than before.
  6. Speaking of Misty, I have seen a lot of people talking about how she and Vic are Vs only true friends. I never really saw Misty as Vs friend, she was the girlfriend of a friend. And this ending did nothing to dispel that, Misty and V get along well enough, but they are not friends.
Post automatically merged:

As an added bonus it also spares you from the god-awful, stressful, PTSD-inducing "Alien Isolation" survival horror mission, which I personally found unbearable (yeah I know some people love it, it's extremely divisive - probably the most divisive videogame mission since Half Life 2 Episode 2's "defend White Forest" climax).
Oh yeah, I didn't really get into what I thought of Phantom liberty.

I liked it, a lot of great details, very well done.
Mr Hands was cool, but not as cool as he think he is. They changed the voice actor right? I preferred the previous one, more sarcastic and less full of himself.

Buuuuut:
I hated the AI killing machine part, specifically that you never actually beat it, I would have been ok with you hiding and sneaking and all if in the end you do something to weaken or kill it. So that it felt like you earned your survival and not just got lucky that So-Mi spared you.

Last edited:
I get that being in a coma set her back physically.
After two years in a bed without any form of physical activity at all, likely fed with transfusion, no doubt you most likely wake up (very) weak... and it would probably take years to come back in the state you were before (if it's even possible...). Beside, if being (very) weak is the only serious consequence after spending two years in coma, I guess you should consider yourself rather lucky.
They seriously don't have automatic payments in 2077? My girl left for surgery having several millions on her account and now there is nothing left? Or what, did Militech steal her funds?
Well... In this world, I wouldn't be surprised if after a while without any form of activity on V's bank account, a corporation simply considered V as dead and so, seized all the money.

After two years in a bed without any form of physical activity at all, likely fed with transfusion, no doubt you most likely wake up (very) weak... and it would probably take years to come back in the state you were before (if it's even possible...). Beside, if being (very) weak is the only serious consequence after spending two years in coma, I guess you should consider yourself rather lucky.

Well... In this world, I wouldn't be surprised if after a while without any form of activity on V's bank account, a corporation simply considered V as dead and so, seized all the money.
First point, yeah that's pretty much what I meant, my point is everybody acts as if V can't get back into any form of fighting shape, and that bugged me.

Second point is very valid. That's most likely exactly what happened. So on top of everything else V now have to fight to get her assets back (I honestly think that that is possible, it will just require time).

About V's inability to fight off the muggers.
As was said above V spent two years in a coma. But not only would this have left her physically weak and exhausted, but spending that long in a comatose state can create atrophied limbs due to lack of use, which manifests as loss of muscle mass, weakness in limbs and joints, numbness, tingling - the whole works.

In fact she was actually pretty lucky not to end up in a wheelchair, requiring months of intensive physiotherapy to get her back on her feet. I'm not at all surprised that she was an easy target for the muggers, given what she's gone through.

As for the 'Alien Isolation' mission hehe... I just don't ever want to play it again, even if they made it so you could defeat the maintenance bot at the end. I really hate games like that - the kind that force you to constantly hide from an unkillable enemy or get your ass soundly whupped. I guess I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to survival horror, it's just not my thing. I don't want to feel stressed out, and gripped with constant anxiety when gaming as it's a thing I do for escape, and I got enough of all that shizz in real life :D
Post automatically merged:

Going to talk a bit about the final spaceport standoff (which you get if you side with Songbird). This is, in my opinion the toughest combat encounter in the game and offers a genuine challenge.

It's clearly going to be a heck of a lot easier if you're running a highly mobile build, either a deep Sandevistan build or even a smart weapon-based 'Netgunner' build, but for those like me who like to play a stealth-netrunner/sniper build focussing on power weapons and sneaky attacks from the shadows it's a first class ticket to the pain train as your build is just not suitable for that kind of pitched battle.

There is virtually no cover available, and you're being attacked relentlessly from every side by the toughest-ranking NPCs, backed up by drones and finally the freaking chopper makes an unwelcome return to start pounding you with lead. The troops intelligently flank you from all directions, often in groups, there's no hiding place, and nowhere to stop and catch your breath

I have to admit it took me a few attempts to win, and at one point I seriously considered turning down the difficulty (playing on hard). In many ways I was forced to swap out my preferred style of play in favour of something more closely resembling Doom Eternal, as mobility and speed are very much the key here, which is where smart guns, or deep katana spec with all the bullet-blocking goodness would definitely have helped.

But at the same time I enjoyed the challenge. It was almost on par with the notorious courtroom standoff encounter in Wolfenstein the New Colossus. Maybe not quite as hard as that, but certainly touching on it.

Last edited:
It is a fitting end but a sad one. Silverhand is totally gone (in contrast other endings where he at least merges with Alt or take V's body), all of V's friends have left or changed in drastical ways. V has no money, no housing, no food or drink (no inventory). V is a sick chap now, can barely stand, can walk slow only. He's now worse off as any average NPC. He disappears in the crowd but where will he go? Where will he sleep? How to get his next meal? Most likely he won't survive the night.

Cheers Euclid

Last edited:
Top Bottom