New Ending (SPOILER ALERT)

+
It's heavily implied that Mr. Blue Eyes is the one behind the "cure" for Song Bird. Given it's possible connections to the AIs beyond the Blackwall, sending Songbird to the Moon might not be in anyone best interests of anyone, including Song Bird herself.
When talking to Songbird on the train, if you ask who arranged the trip to the moon, she gives an accurate description of Mr. Blue Eyes, so he's definitely involved.

I have yet to see the new ending. Currently working a playthrough to see it. But I will say this, the moment they said it would be possible to save V's life in Phantom Liberty, I thought it would this new ending would need to have some huge drawbacks. I mean adding a golden ending through an expansion would suck.
Post automatically merged:

It's heavily implied that Mr. Blue Eyes is the one behind the "cure" for Song Bird. Given it's possible connections to the AIs beyond the Blackwall, sending Songbird to the Moon might not be in anyone best interests of anyone, including Song Bird herself.

Arguably the best ending to PL might be the one where Reed actually says to V he did the right thing: betray Song Bird and kill her at her request. You end her suffering, Myers and NUSA loose their WMD and Reed might actually become a free man instead of ending his days in service of the NUSA.
I also believe that Mr. Blue Eyes has something to do with the healing process for Songbird. And if he has the cure for Songbird, he is the one who can also cure V. The fact is that when I chose to stay by Songbird's side until the end, I took the general context of the game into consideration. Well, in truth Cyberpunk 2077 is a micro-history that presents us with several characters within a macro panorama: the silent war between 2 powerful corporations that replaced public power in practice: Arasaka and Militech. Formally, governments still exist. Only formally. This is the case with NUSA. But in practice it is Militech. That's why I reinforce my “thesis”: the question regarding this new ending for me is clear. We have to ask ourselves: which is the most oppressive corporation? To decide, we need to observe the details, listen to the radio, etc.

Arguably the best ending to PL might be the one where Reed actually says to V he did the right thing: betray Song Bird and kill her at her request. You end her suffering, Myers and NUSA loose their WMD and Reed might actually become a free man instead of ending his days in service of the NUSA.

Oh I think it's safe to say it's definitely him. Did you see him observing you at multiple points including standing calmly with an umbrella amidst all the wreckage as your train departs? Nothing says, "I have everything to do with this", more than that :LOL: Very cool.

Anyway, yeah, I had thought about all that and I agree it's a very risky decision for exactly the reasons you mentioned, but that's why I decided to take a leap of faith and do it anyway. I mean, the tarot cards were very predictive as opposed to reactive, to the point it really feels as though someone - or something - is calculating several steps ahead and trying to give V hints. Like, it feels like there's a grander design here and V is a part of it somehow.

Of course, the problem is whether the tarot cards are coming from a benevolent place or not. Hard to say in the long term, but at least going by the endings I'm inclined the think a positive one. But it also wouldn't surprise me if the tarot were part of MBE's way to nudging V towards any path that would be useful to him.

And yeah, MBE is highly suss, but I sort of think about it the same way as Gandalf in LOTR when Frodo says, "it's a pity Bilbo didn't kill Gollum when he had the chance" and Gandalf gives his whole spiel about not being quick too deal out death and judgement and how he had a feeling Gollum might play an important role they can't foresee. And in the end, he was right; fate basically AIKIDO'd Gollum in the good guys' favour.

I sort of look at MBE in a similar light; he might be a bad guy... but allying with him might still end in our favour. I'm basically trusting whoever is behind the tarot is good and is seeing far enough head that it'll somehow work out in the end.

That being said I get the reasoning behind helping Songbird in Cynosure, but I was still concerned about Myers and NUSA getting a hold of her remains for research :/ Also I really didn't like Reed and Alex anymore after they executed the twins in cold blood - I was team Songbird all the way after that.

Yes, the endings sucks - again. No happy ending for V.
I was kind of hoping CDPR came to their senses but they didn't.

The Witcher games at least had endings you could be satisfied with. But Cyberpunk is one big disappointment for me.
This attempt to hold on to disaster and grief is not something I will spend my time on. The next game from CDPR will not be pre-ordered or even bought if there are no options for at happy ending. I regret buying Cyberpunk and Phantom Liberty. A complete waste of my time and money.

Do not make games with only bad endings CDPR!
No matter how bored I am and need some entertainment I will NOT buy your games before it has been released on the market and I am able to determine if it has a good ending as well. I am in fact pretty mad.
I tried my best to be receptive of this franchise. Even when everyone else was trashing it early on I was still praising it. Unfortunately I have to agree with you. Phantom liberty endings SUCK MASIVE RHINOCEROS NUTS. I hated every bit of it. Left the game feeling incomplete and like I wasted my time. I really wanted this to be good. But I just can't. It's no point in even replaying this game. I'm just upset I wasted my time and money at this point.

I tried my best to be receptive of this franchise. Even when everyone else was trashing it early on I was still praising it. Unfortunately I have to agree with you. Phantom liberty endings SUCK MASIVE RHINOCEROS NUTS. I hated every bit of it. Left the game feeling incomplete and like I wasted my time. I really wanted this to be good. But I just can't. It's no point in even replaying this game. I'm just upset I wasted my time and money at this point.
I understand your point of view. However, we have to recognize that the theme of this game is a corporate war where you appear together with other characters in a dystopian reality involved with this Relic.
It is necessary to understand the concept of dystopia philosophically. Dystopian reality is always characterized by a pessimistic world perspective, saturated with uncertainty regarding the future. Philosophy characterizes dystopia as an imaginary society oppressively controlled by the State or other extreme means (in the case of the game, corporations), in such a way that the living conditions of ordinary individuals become unsustainable.
Night City presents a society contrary to the idea of a city that was established according to the Aristotelian/Greek tradition as a space in which individuals come together to live well and increasingly better with shared common values, according to the bond of an affective feeling, which helps friendship, individuals united by trust and loyalty. Even though this idea is utopian, it constitutes the source of guidance in life and thought.
Night City is fear, despair and anguish.
The new ending is worse than the ending where you accept Arasaka's terms.
V in the new ending becomes an ordinary person who will live a life as a homeless person, completely hyposufficient. Cured and sentenced to death (without cybernetics and full of enemies that are sure to kill you) in a stone jungle lit by neon colors.
This is why there isn't even a decent ending in this game. Everything is ephemeral and miserable. You always lose. In every "victory" for V his reputation is actually a moral downgrade. To be the best mercenary is to be the most murderous, cunning and immoral.
In fact, you are what you say you fight. Johnny himself did a "beautiful job" for Militech in 2023 when he blew up the Arasaka Tower killing thousands of innocent people without a care.
Happiness is impossible in such a world. I would venture to say that people who are suffering from depression or who are going through difficult emotional moments (for example, bereavement, important losses, etc.), should not play this title.
I was already expecting a new sad ending because dystopia permeates cyberpunk literature.
So I wasn't surprised.
It's just that we are used to entertainment in which we are "rewarded" with a feeling of satisfaction and certainty.
None of this occurs in Cyberpunk 2077.
This game rewards you according to what dystopian reality is: losses, uncertainty, death, misery in every sense, loneliness and hypocrisy. And of course: a lot of oppression.

Yo, finally finished PL and well, mixed feelings about the new ending. Dont get me wrong. I like my dystopian endings depressing with just a glint of hope. I like the "save your life/lose everything else" conclusion. But i expected better from the characters. I mean, i guess its reasonable from some of them. But Judy? seriously? To ditch you like that? I know she's been through a lot and shit, but still. 2 years isnt 20. Feels really out of character. Panam too. Like after all you've done for her? Feels weird. Thank fuck for Vic. Sellout or not, al least he was there for you.

But overall, it was a cool ride, kudos.

Well I don’t care for the endings either. I will say this though other than the endings this is a great game. I know years of work went into making it CDPR gives a lot of choices, sometimes maybe not the ones some of us want. Thing is they can’t please everyone as much as they would like to as they invested so much into it already. I was so disappointed with the endings I voiced it earlier. I’ve thought about it they have already put so much great content out there…I’m just going to play it and go with my favorite ending with the nomads in the original game. We all look at it differently so how is it possible to create every possible outcome and stay within a budget? It’s not. So I will move to other games until that sequel comes in. They make great games so I’m not quitting CDPR.

Late to the party but I think the new ending could have been fine if it was handled even a little bit better. There was no good reason for it to be so barebones with no impactful options, but Phantom Liberty as a whole felt pretty linear. They really doubled down on a lack of player agency in some of these situations, to the point I felt railroaded even when compared with the base game.

It's pretty funny that the new ending is punctuated by V getting owned in yet another cutscene. You get knocked down so often in Phantom Liberty outside of your control that someone should make a montage. It's like they thought that time Tom knocked V the fuck out with his dollchip routine was the peak of storytelling in gaming. It's meme worthy.

Don't Fear the Reaper is still the only real ending for me. "If I gotta die, rather fall into my grave gun in hand and on fire. And not drag anyone down with me." either taking on the Crystal Palace or kicking my gonk choom Johnny my spare parts while I go on to conquer the AIs beyond the blackwall(or at least be an annoying little voice in Alt's collective) "No Alt it's not V, this is your conscience speaking."
Post automatically merged:

I dunno why I torture myself but I decided to start my play session today by exhausting the different options on this ending. Bout 15 minutes in and I'm thinkin I'm done playing for now.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 204142.png

All roads lead to...

Screenshot 2023-12-13 204517.png

At least if you choose "Attack" then V can get their ass extra kicked. I guess I'll choose that option from now on (as if I'm ever going this route ever again, it's just that good.)

You guys could have done anything but you chose to booyah the fanboy right out of me. I guess it's art.

Last edited:
Top Bottom