RedKit for MAC?

+
No, right now it is only available for the Windows version of The Witcher 2 and as far as I know there are no plans for a Mac version.

I can't speak for CD Projekt and I don't know their plans about it, but I don't think so. The amount of work they would have to put into making their editor available for Mac would most likely be immense. They already had to work for a long time developing Redkit out of their own editor for the public, but luckily it was the same system, Windows.
I think your chances are higher to right now support a possible Witcher 3 Redkit for Mac, since the Witcher 3 has a much higher priority than Redkit now, but Mac is still a pretty unpopular system for people playing "high end games" and chances are high that not enough people would ever use such a Redkit. :/

Ha, Benzenzimmern, I rather suspect you are not speaking from a particularly deep well of knowledge on the subject. Games are in fact relatively easy to port from one OS to another these days. Most "high end games" have a community based mac port within a month or so of release. That being the case, I imagine developers often don't feel the pressure to develop Mac support themselves (i.E. if they developed it they would have to support it, which is more costly and time consuming in the long run). REDKit being what it is, I can see why they might not want to officially support it for the MacOS at this time. W/E.

Ergo, the question isn't so much "how long do we have to wait for CD Projekt to make REDKit available for Mac?" as it is: Has anyone gone and gotten mods working for the Mac version on their own? Anyone?

(Specifically, I *really* need to find a FOV mod so that I can stop looking at the game in 42° or whatever the ridiculous thing is set to by default.)

@brauer
Games are easy to port between OS's? Yeah... like translating all Direct3D code to OpenGL, all HLSL shaders to GLSL. Replacing windows exclusive libraries with Mac counterparts... Creating redkit will quite probably require rewriting it's whole interface as it might use nonportable library for it.

So for modding on a Mac i suggest just installing Windows as second OS.

About ability to play published mods on MacOS - that actually shouldn't be that hard to implement if it isn't working already.

@Fartuess
Yes, like many things the most accurate response to the question of how easy it is to port a game is: "It depends." A lot of the work you mentioned has been done already by more enterprising individuals than myself with WINE wrappers available for a ton of PC games and the resources to apply them to many others already there. I'll grant that this isn't the same as a 100% native port, but in most cases it works just as well and in some cases better.

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of reasons not to spend much time getting RedKit running on the MacOS. This brings me back to the reason I posted here in the first place. Does anyone know of a way to get published mods working on the MacOS (Steam version) of The Witcher 2? With another steam game it was simply a matter of uncommenting a line in one LUA file and stashing in mod files in the right place. If there is an equivalent workable exercise for The Witcher 2, I have yet to find it.

Top Bottom