Black Screen + No Crash -- Is This Possible?

+
Black Screen + No Crash -- Is This Possible?

Earlier today I had my very first experience with a Black Screen during conversation. Here's the situation....I had arrived at Murky Waters and had talked with the Blacksmith's son outside the house. Then, I went inside where the Blacksmith and his wife were sitting at the table. I approached him and, as he began to speak, the screen went entirely black. However, my PC did NOT crash and there was no apparent activity on the DVD drive and/or HDD LED on the front of the PC.After a few moments, I was compelled to simply hit my Reset switch and restart the PC. But, after doing so, I began to wonder if it was actually possible that the Camera View had some how located the viewpoint behind an obstacle that could have created the black screen. IF it happens again, I'm going to press the F1 key to change the viewpoint before trying anything else to see if that provides any resolution to this. The reason this got my attention is that I've actually had the screen go almost completely black just by moving about in a normal fashion and the camera view gets temporarily placed behind an obstacle...a rock, a piece of furniture, or even 'pushed' through a wall. So, if anyone else experiences this before I do, can you please try to change the viewpoint to see if it does anything?Cheers and Thank You!

you could also try the WASD keys if you do not usually use them for navigation. I find that sometimes if Geralt gets stuck, I can maneuver him out of a tough spot this way

gamewidow said:
you could also try the WASD keys if you do not usually use them for navigation. I find that sometimes if Geralt gets stuck, I can maneuver him out of a tough spot this way
Actually, we can scratch the theory I put forth above. I spent a few minutes actually doing what I described and, if the screen goes black/blank under this condition at least the HUD is still visible. So, it WAS a total loss of video signal I experienced...not just interference in the game.

LicaonKter said:
did you try a different savegame?
Not specifically for this test, no. But, I haven't had any problems loading saved games in the past.What I did do was disable the Compatibility Mode for XP Pro SP2. It's running completely under Vista now.And, I'm still having the very random 'freeze/crash' problem even though I'm using a different DVD drive now. In fact, at the very end of the LONG dialogue with the Lady of the Lake ... after our intimate encounter, after all the other dialogue options, AND after the dialogue with the Priest, she offered to give me a gift. Just as soon as Geralt say, I"m ready.....FREEZE/CRASH. Arrrrrgggghhhh!I do really, really hope this gets fixed. It completely ruins the game experience.

DyreStraits said:
DyreStraits said:
did you try a different savegame?
Not specifically for this test, no. But, I haven't had any problems loading saved games in the past.
i'm more concerner about this savegame in particular, not on the load/savegame mechanismand, just in case i've missed it before, can you attach a PCWizard report?

Top Bottom