Chocolate: Who are You?

+
GuyN said:
I've had some powerful chili-spiked chocolate, but never anything quite like that.

Also surprising, but not quite so challenging, chocolate-covered bacon from old-time candy maker Marini's, of Santa Cruz, California.

I can definitely believe that chocolate-covered bacon would work. I've had fish dipped in chocolate quite a few times (grilled white fish or salmon) and they go remarkably well together. Sweetened fondue chocolate, not a mole sauce.

Seriously folks, we're drifting away from the subject while having a nice chat: the original question was about chocolate and the person you'd be... So: what do these tastes make of us? I'd like the original thread-starter to come up with an answer about that. After all the question was 'Chocolate: who are you' So please enlighten us!

Chili spiked chocolate...I allways spike my Chili con Carne with some reaaaaaaalllly dark and bitter Venezoalan chocolate. Does wonders for the 'darknes' and warmth of your Chili, gives it a much deeper flavour. Chocolate and peppers go wonderfuly well together. Come to think of it: ever tryed strawberries with some pepper!? Really good, I can tell you.

My secret ingredient! I've been betrayed!

Strawberries and peppers? Curious, very curious

Seriously folks, we're drifting away from the subject while having a nice chat: the original question was about chocolate and the person you'd be... So: what do these tastes make of us? I'd like the original thread-starter to come up with an answer about that. After all the question was 'Chocolate: who are you' So please enlighten us!

Your wish is my command.

Glaroug said:
Kinder Eggs are the foulest beasts of the earth.

Kinder Eggs are contraband in the US. I didn't know that. http://gawker.com/5990806/

(Can't have a toy embedded in a candy. Or if you do, it has to be safe for "all ages".)

So I guess, whether you would descend to smuggling Kinder Eggs down from Canada would say a great deal about your character.

DISCLAIMER: If you're totally confused I empathize. Us dragons were never praised for clarity, and sometimes (most) I just plain don;t make a lick of sense.

DARK
You slowly get out of bed, your feet making their way across the cold floor window. You take a deep breath, letting the nights dying breath wash over you. You turn back to her and watch her breathing. Quietly you sit pull on your britches and the rest of your things until finally sitting back on the bed to pull on your boots. She stirs, causing a tense, lad weight to build in your stomach that melts quickly with her soft sigh.

You make you way across the street to the bar and poor yourself a drink. Then another. The dirty glass shakes a little, a warning. The gang is here. Slowly you make ease up the lever of your carbine, a face the dawn, her scent of bluebonnets still fresh on your skin.

You could be anything, but you’re the goddamn sheriff.

WHITE
It’s mid-morning. You’re on the bus, head leaning against the window enjoying the warmth and vibration of the ride. Late again, but who cares? It’s just 5 minutes. Right? Laughing, a smile slowly spreads across your crummy face, head still wet and smelling of shampoo, as you recall last night’s latest conquest.

As you get off the bus you picture yourself emerging as the hero of last night’s film. Annoyed you replay her comments toward the film in your mind. The only thing good she had to say was towards the actor’s looks. Give me a break. Doesn't even like westerns. You pass various homeless individuals on your way to the office, asking for change. A look of disgust spreads across your face. Besides, you spare change is earmarked for illegal eggs.

MILK
Christ! You curse, still remembering his buttery popcorn breath. Two and a half hours of misery, sitting in the dark with that creep. The jackass didn’t even bring his wallet! Two tickets for a shit movie and we still make-out on the couch. Stop! It’s not about you, this a promotion where’re talking about here. Just play his little game a bit longer and where’re out of this shitty little town and running the sister branch.

You shudder a little as your tongue discovers a bit of popcorn still between your teeth. Typical. You’ve got principles, morals, and values. There are things I won’t do but it never hurts to “work the system”.

You’re a player. You know what you want, but it’s not always easy to “be” who you want in order to achieve it. Done with flossing, you make your way to the kitchen where you open a shiny tin and help yourself to some dark chocolate covered mints.

For better or worse, Glaroug has spoken.

GuyN said:
I've had some powerful chili-spiked chocolate, but never anything quite like that.

Also surprising, but not quite so challenging, chocolate-covered bacon from old-time candy maker Marini's, of Santa Cruz, California.
Im keeping an eye on that story, and hospital reports . The left of that picture doesn't look so appetising :p

_Must_Try_Salt_Water_Taffy_

GuyN said:
Chili spiked chocolate...I allways spike my Chili con Carne with some reaaaaaaalllly dark and bitter Venezoalan chocolate. Does wonders for the 'darknes' and warmth of your Chili, gives it a much deeper flavour. Chocolate and peppers go wonderfuly well together. Come to think of it: ever tryed strawberries with some pepper!? Really good, I can tell you.
That sounds more like my speed, and I'm going to try your suggestion first chance I get.

@Glaroug: Thats going to take some digestion, perhaps with a little chocolate to aid the process... but heres me sometimes:

Kudos said:
Im keeping an eye on that story, and hospital reports />. The left of that picture doesn't look so appetising :p/>

_Must_Try_Salt_Water_Taffy_

The apparent discoloration's just from taking the photo through glass, probably without compensation for the lighting either.

Anyway, the Franz Kafka chocolate:

Glaroug said:
Does it come in an apple embedded variety?

Nabokov was insistent that Grigor Samsa had been transformed into a beetle, not a cockroach. But a chocolate beetle would not be quite so wonderful a creation.

If they have chocolate snails, I must get some for my mother. She has been on the losing end of a lifelong war with garden snails.

Chocolate Makes Snails Smarter [Kathryn Knight, Journal of Experimental Biology, 15 Oct. 2012]

GuyN said:
Kinder Eggs are contraband in the US. I didn't know that. http://gawker.com/5990806/

(Can't have a toy embedded in a candy. Or if you do, it has to be safe for "all ages".)

So I guess, whether you would descend to smuggling Kinder Eggs down from Canada would say a great deal about your character.
A very sensible use of our legislatures time, I was never convinced - they are neither chocolate nor toy - just some bastardised attempt at Frankensteining a pester power behemoth but ultimately an ideagene-splicing gone horribly wrong. Even amongst the world weary smuggler there are more fragrant wares.

GuyN said:
DISCLAIMER: If you're totally confused I empathize. Us dragons were never praised for clarity, and sometimes (most) I just plain don;t make a lick of sense.

DARK

You could be anything, but you’re the goddamn sheriff.

Maybe its because I've never been the Sheriff before, but I like it. The Dark description left me feeling I'd just read my horoscope.

GuyN said:
Chocolate Makes Snails Smarter [Kathryn Knight, Journal of Experimental Biology, 15 Oct. 2012]
Yep I read it, can I have some choc now please? ;)

According to Lukowiak, memories can be overwritten by another memory in a process called extinction. However, the original memory is not forgotten and if the additional memory is stored weakly, it can be lost and the original memory restored.
They're basically saying the brain makes backups. The active ingredient in chocolate that they looked at appeared to strengthen the transfer of short term memory to long term memory.
(I don't know about snails, but for us to remember anything longterm it has to have resided in our short term memory for a minimum length of time before we fall asleep to even be considered. A rule of thumb is don't read anything you must remember 45 minutes before sleep, though in practice I find 15 minutes to be closer to the number of paragraphs I have to read again.)

I wonder if these are completely different memories that overwrite eachother with no organisational principle, or is it when we recall a memory, perhaps in conversation and our companion remembers details differently, the opportunity arises for either persons memory to change in the telling, altering the stored version when it is stored again? I cant except theres no method involved in memory location, so memories simply overwriting others seems unlikely too.

Is this evidence of really reverting to a backup, or actually new learned behaviour, both events share associations so no reason their location wouldnt be close enough to be the dominant result when presented with the situation again.

But in general I'd say our brain & memory are too different from any other animal for useful comparison. There are many parts to a memory, as well as all the "sensory data" theres emotion involved, probably a snapshot of thought too, and while many animals certainly have emotions theres definitely something in our consciousness that they simply lack.

All my life i prefered milk chocolate, but when i tasted dark, i realized i had never eaten chocolate before.

Dark it is, then. 80% cocoa is my favourite. (You have to drink something with it -a coffee for examble- and not try to eat more than two pieces).

Dark Chocolate is the healthiest, and silhouette-friendliest one. Milk chocolate is the most tasty out of them all, yet the most unhealthy one; certain elements they put in when they make it are not good for your health. Of course, those that are not mass-produced, are far better, such as those bars made in shops selling sweets. White chocolate is ok, not the best choice though. And lol for peasants.

Kinder chocolate was mentioned somewhere. Stay away from it. Too expensive, mass-produced, and above all, made in Germany. Best quality milk chocolate is made in countries famous for the quality of their milk (like belgium, holland).

Chocolate is a passion; a passion and a trip. My personal favorite is chocolate with mint, chocolate containing liquer or strawberry flavor, and chocolate that accompanies spirits and drinks.

Job Opportunity for a Willy Wonka ! Or an aspirational Ooompa Loompa !

Cambridge University offers position as Doctor of Chocolate

This is clearly a major issue for hot countries requiring our full attention, move over drought, disease & distemper !

This project is a tall order. Previous efforts to produce chocolate that wouldn't melt in tropical conditions have been uniformly disastrous. The worst were the Hershey's "D Rations" and "Tropical Bars" made for the US military, derisively referred to as "dysentery rations" and often traded to unsuspecting civilians for something that was actually edible.

Cadbury and Nestle have both recently claimed successful production of non-melting chocolate, by different processes. Cadbury is not marketing theirs in the UK, because they admit it is not competitive with their flagship Dairy Milk. Nestle is putting chocolate into shell material that is not chocolate.

The existence of the position underscores the lack of satisfactory solutions to this problem.

Definitely a major issue :)

Well, I'd definitely appreciate it if someone can come up with it. If I buy chocolate in the shops, it's already melted by the time I get home and needs to be kept in the fridge for a few hours before eating any. And that includes all qualities that get the word "chocolate" in the description, from Hersheys to the near-pure dark chocolates.

Except local chocolate (they do grow it here). Most of it's used for drinking, but there are some chocolate snacks, and they don't melt as easily. Unfortunately, they also don't taste very good.

Top Bottom