Skyrim

+
I'm not an expert, but generally very careful about mods and follow the mod authors' instructions on load order and compatibility- and that mod was unworkable for me. It also wasn't that fun. A bit of novelty and then drudgery with the tons of special legion mages appearing out of thin air, for example. And of course since it changes scripts, you can't just back out of the game. Even after I nuked all the saves that I'd made while running it, my previous saves were corrupted, too.

Trying to get the realistic combat mods working. I'm a couple of hours into the game, and there's no way in hell I'm continuing with enemies requiring so many hits to go down.

Trying to get the realistic combat mods working. I'm a couple of hours into the game, and there's no way in hell I'm continuing with enemies requiring so many hits to go down.
I'd say for a first run through the game leave those kinds of mods until you hit lvl 25-30 at least. Once you have 50-60 hours in skyrim you will know what mods you're looking for and how you want to mix up stuff.

In TES games it's always a good idea to start without mods and see what really annoys you, apart from the must haves like better UI or inventory stuff that everyone uses.

I was looking for a different thread, but then stumbled on this. Couldn't resist not to post something. :)

Okay. I'm not familiar with the series you mention, but Skyrim is indeed meant to be roleplayed, just like the developers said. And since they support modding, that's also as intended. So I don't really get how you can be so hostile to a game that allows you to do something that practically no other game out there does.

The roleplaying possibilities in Skyrim are rudimentary are best. You can try to make your own story but there isn't much framework for it as there is little else to do but kill and collect. The quests that are there mostly make no sense and have no impact. The Daedric voice acting is so ill fitting it is hard to enjoy them. The side quests are fetch fests. The only time I felt role playing potential was when I killed the first dragon and the soldiers actually had fitting dialog and reactions.

It is much more satifying to just read a book of do your own roleplaying in your mind.

There were faint glimmers of genius here and there but nothing worth the time.

I played, modded and used mods for Skyrim quite a bit in an attempt to civilize it and make it worth playing ....... I failed ...... it is just too broken.

It is broken because the questing part of the CK is too rudimentary and the engine too unstable .... even simple quests are bugged.

The roleplaying possibilities in Skyrim are rudimentary are best. You can try to make your own story but there isn't much framework for it as there is little else to do but kill and collect. The quests that are there mostly make no sense and have no impact. The Daedric voice acting is so ill fitting it is hard to enjoy them. The side quests are fetch fests. The only time I felt role playing potential was when I killed the first dragon and the soldiers actually had fitting dialog and reactions.

It is much more satifying to just read a book of do your own roleplaying in your mind.

There were faint glimmers of genius here and there but nothing worth the time.

I played, modded and used mods for Skyrim quite a bit in an attempt to civilize it and make it worth playing ....... I failed ...... it is just too broken.

It is broken because the questing part of the CK is too rudimentary and the engine too unstable .... even simple quests are bugged.

Well I'm sorry you have issues with it, but I've been playing vanilla skyrim since 11/11/11, and roleplay just fine. My character even has a background story, personality, motive, and I use that to guide what I do in the game. 3000 hours at least, and I stopped counting hours of play half a year ago. No other game allows me to do that.

Say what you will, but don't think it applies to everyone.

Have you ever asked yourself where trying to roleplay within the framework and design of Skyrim is leading your mind? Is Skyrim really the alternate reality you desire where goals can only be achieved by killing something or ignoring it?

Unlike reality, in the game world you are a complete volunteer. When a man comes home and finds his wife being banged by someone and kills them there is a certain level of coercion to the situation. When you kill in the game world you are a complete volunteer, no coercion except addiction in some cases.

In New Vegas there was at least other ways to deal with many situations besides killing.

You are what you eat and what you play. In Skyrim your roleplay is very constrained within narrow limits due to the game design and its limitations.

If you could roleplay Skyrim for 3000 hours, you could do much much better than Skyrim in your own head or in the framework of a good book.

Try reading Name of the Wind and then roleplay the next book before it comes out. I guarantee it will be more satisfying and healthy than having your mind warped by another 1000 hours of Skyrim.

Last edited:
I do read occasionally, as well as played Skyrim. Even participate in an ongoing Skyrim roleplay, as well as write fanfiction for it. No I didn't ask myself any such questions, because I was too busy having fun and enjoying the game ;) You should try it sometime. Fun is fun. Don't care if someone else doesn't agree, it's fun for me and I love the world of Elder Scrolls, ESPECIALLY Skyrim, home of my favorite race, the Nords, and home of the awesome Stormcloaks, finally allowing me to tell the Empire to fuck off. It's great for me.

Yes I may indeed be missing the Dragonborn patch. I continued to try to make Skyrim a worthwhile experience with my own mods and those of other modders but I failed and gave up on the game.

I got reasonably close but in the end I concluded the only way to make Skyrim worthwhile is to remove almost every character and creature in the game and play it as a survival game. But this is hard to do with the CK.

I loved the gameworld of Skyrim, the skies, the water , the sunsets, the landscapes but the gameplay and quests was just too toxic, boring and bugged to enjoy.

I must have put in 100 hours trying to mold Skyrim into something enjoyable. I couldn't do it and there is nothing to do but kill and collect. I enjoyed the Mages Guild quest but even that was rudimentary.

Even when you find an interesting place to call home, you can't really call it your own because of the way the game spawns. You cant defend your home because nothing ever challenged you while you are there, and when you leave new creatures automagically spawn, sometimes right in your living room if you use mods.

The social experience in Skyrim is lacking. One modder made a Sofia, companion that managed to respond to NPC dialog in a hilarious and logical way but that wasn't Bethesda's creation. Amazing Follower Tweaks tried to make followers usable but due to the engine, it was just not stable over extended use.

There is just no saving Sykrim unless you just like killing stuff. Modders made a truly heroic effort and I applaud their efforts BUT to make a RPG game it needs to be designed from the ground up as an RPG ..... Skyrim modders are trying to do the reverse and it just isn't possible.

Yes I may indeed be missing the Dragonborn patch. I continued to try to make Skyrim a worthwhile experience with my own mods and those of other modders but I failed and gave up on the game.

I got reasonably close but in the end I concluded the only way to make Skyrim worthwhile is to remove almost every character and creature in the game and play it as a survival game. But this is hard to do with the CK.

I loved the gameworld of Skyrim, the skies, the water , the sunsets, the landscapes but the gameplay and quests was just too toxic, boring and bugged to enjoy.

I must have put in 100 hours trying to mold Skyrim into something enjoyable. I couldn't do it and there is nothing to do but kill and collect. I enjoyed the Mages Guild quest but even that was rudimentary.

Even when you find an interesting place to call home, you can't really call it your own because of the way the game spawns. You cant defend your home because nothing ever challenged you while you are there, and when you leave new creatures automagically spawn, sometimes right in your living room if you use mods.

The social experience in Skyrim is lacking. One modder made a Sofia, companion that managed to respond to NPC dialog in a hilarious and logical way but that wasn't Bethesda's creation. Amazing Follower Tweaks tried to make followers usable but due to the engine, it was just not stable over extended use.

There is just no saving Sykrim unless you just like killing stuff. Modders made a truly heroic effort and I applaud their efforts BUT to make a RPG game it needs to be designed from the ground up as an RPG ..... Skyrim modders are trying to do the reverse and it just isn't possible.

This post is golden; it mirrors my own sentiments exactly. Skyrim is the Justin Bieber of gaming (as generic and cliche as it gets).

People are creative and they can have fun with anything. Imagine a pencil is a plane or a piece of paper a dungeon. That's fine. But it doesn't mean they're games and selling them as such expecting people to make things up as they go is a worthless artistic endeavour lacking any kind of effort. Like selling blank pages and calling it a write-your-own story novel.

Above all, even when a cardboard box can be made into a toy it is not one. Supporting it means the end of proper toys.

Maybe this is the beginning of a new genre, the virtual hiker. Just like there are flight sims, which would not pass as RPG even if people customize their jets and pilot attire.

I don't hate Skyrim. I'm just afraid of the genre decaying towards that.

Posts have been deleted. No matter how strongly you feel about a subject, personal attacks are not allowed. This is the last unofficial warning.

Don't even bother, dude. The Skyrim hate around here is at irrational levels. It's not a game, etc. etc. It will just drive you nuts.

Moderator: Moderator direction to cease an argument is not an invitation to attempt to have the last word.

The last word on this subject was had by the moderators above:

No matter how strongly you feel about a subject, personal attacks are not allowed. This is the last unofficial warning.

Top Bottom