GTX 970 surfaced

+
I was actually thinking about the same as well. The 970 only has a 145W TDP so my AX760 would easily handle couple of them, even with CPU overclocking.

But I would rather have a strong single GPU still. Like I've stated previously I'm not a fan of multi GPU setups.

Well yea, preference for a single card is one of the very few reasons I can really think of for paying that extra money for a 980.

Either that or people could wait and see how the prices fluctuate in the next few months before TW3. If the 780Ti drops like $50 below a 980, then it's probably worth grabbing the 780Ti instead... Although it also depends on how all these new technologies like VXGI & MFAA pan out. If they are Maxwell exclusive and end up being incredible, then it might be worth paying the premium for a Maxwell card. Always lots of variables this early at release.

On the SLI front though, as someone who has used SLI 680's for almost 2 years now, the only game I had big issues with was Wolfenstein: TNO (because they literally didn't have SLI support), I think SLI is great. Witcher 2 at Max with Ubersampling went from ~40FPS to ~70FPS from a Single 680 to SLI. If the 9xx Cards can see that kind of result, especially with The Witcher 3, then SLI will be the way to go.

I'm still going to hold off until we get the system requirements for TW3. I don't think my 620W power supply could handle SLI, even with the reduced consumption, and I don't want to pay the extra for a 980 if the 970 or 780Ti will last for a couple of years at least.

Yea I wouldn't go near SLI unless you're running at least a 750W PSU, even with these cards running at the lower wattage they are. These cards also look deliciously OC-able, which would mean more power, so the bigger PSU the better.

Even if I splurge, I'm in a similar boat where no money is leaving my bank account until we get those System Req's. Unless people REALLY want a new GPU for stuff that's coming out over the next few months (I don't really see anything worth it personally), I would expect and/or advise people to do the same.
Hopefully the Specs arrive January sometime, it would be nice to upgrade before GTA V so I can enjoy both it and W3 in top form, but I can always just play GTA V at 1080p and unless it's disgustingly optimized like GTA IV, it should run just fine on my 680's, I'll be happy to make that trade if we still don't have W3 Specs.

Very interested to see how things play out over the next 4-5 months.

Yea I wouldn't go near SLI unless you're running at least a 750W PSU, even with these cards running at the lower wattage they are. These cards also look deliciously OC-able, which would mean more power, so the bigger PSU the better.

I think my Famous Last Words are "No, I'm never going to do SLI, so 620W should be more than enough". Which is roughly what I said to Guy a couple of years ago when he warned me about my new PSU plans.

Well my platinum rated 760W Corsair is probably up to the task since it's one of the most efficient PSUs on the market.

Here's a good comparison with 170W GTX 670 sli:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3way-sli-review,4.html

By that time the 20nm cards are so close (or possibly released) that I wouldn't bother.

EDIT:

Yeah. Given the price difference, GTX 970 sli would seem like the better option right now:

http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/prod...-970-Twin-Frozr-V-Gaming-4096-Mt-naytonohjain

http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/prod...D5-GTX-980-4096-Mt-naytonohjain-PCI-e-vaylaan

Last edited:
Yay, now to wait for a factory oced 980 (probably gigabyte becaouse of their great coolers) and TW3 can be very afraid.

Some exciting things were announced/shown off at Nvidia's GAME24 event regarding Maxwell, I'll leave the specs/cost/ to anyone curious but feature wise I'm quite impressed with a few things.

Lossless Delta Colour Compression (AMD has an equivalent) saves bandwidth in an effort to match a 384 bus width.

New method of antialiasing, MFAA which is interleaved from the looks of it
Previous-generation GPUs include fixed sample patterns for anti-aliasing (AA) that are stored in Read Only Memory (ROM). When gamers selected 2x or 4x MSAA for example, the pre-stored sample patterns were used. With Maxell, we have introduced programmable sample positions for rasterization that are stored on Random Access Memory (RAM), creating opportunities for new, more flexible, more inventive AA techniques that uniquely address the challenges of modern game engines, such as the increased performance cost of high-quality anti-aliasing.

(Not GAME24) Support for DirectX11.3 which adds a bit of confusion regarding DirectX12, it would seem MS brought some half truths afterall DirectX11.3 has all the software features of DX12 but not H/W features and the CPU stuff is not there.

VGXI is something I'm not sure what it really is right now...http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...ces-gamers-to-the-next-generation-of-graphics
Oh and downsampling is now a proper native feature called DSR. So now not just enthusiasts(like me :pc:) can 'experience' playing at the increased fidelity offered by rendering at a higher resolution and then scaling back to your monitor. It's essentially what SSAA/Supersampling/Ubersampling(TW2) does, to the people unfamiliar with the term.

Last edited:

Aver

Forum veteran
I wonder why Nvidia pushed so hard for lower power efficiency. Yeah, it's nice to have low power consumption, but I think that people who buy desktop GPU for 550$ care more about performance than power efficiency and in many cases 780Ti perform better than 980.

http://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-video/filtre/model-model-geforce-gtx-980/

It seems it is bundled with the new Borderlands as a "gift". What a piece of shit. Even without the game it would cost more than it's worth.

Should I just buy it from a neighboring country?

Also, this might sound stupid but are these resellers actually allowed to set their own price? Aren't the prices decided by Nvidia? This is infuriating, I won't let them rip me off like this.

Last edited:
I wonder why Nvidia pushed so hard for lower power efficiency. Yeah, it's nice to have low power consumption, but I think that people who buy desktop GPU for 550$ care more about performance than power efficiency and in many cases 780Ti perform better than 980.
We've been stuck on the 28nm node for 4 years now instead of the usual 2, so we can't enjoy Moore's law and you can try and take the clockspeed as high as you please, but TDP is the limiting factor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom