Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

+
Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

What affinity will you be?

Guess what affinity I will be going for? :D

Last edited:

Forum veteran
FERMILIAR. UNFERMILIAR. I think I just discovered a new pet peeve.

Harmony/domination all the way. I fully intend to play as a violent hippie commune. We're all one, man, and if you don't make me your emperor, I'll like, have our oneness rip you to shreds, bro.

Except Purity gets Giant Robots!

Well Supremacy and Purity both get giant robots. The difference is that Purity pilots them like mechs, where as supremacy uploads their minds into them.

Edit: And yes. I will be supremacy. Their victory goal is literally liberating the meatbags from their fleshy bodies! It's everything I've dreamed of.

Well Supremacy and Purity both get giant robots. The difference is that Purity pilots them like mechs, where as supremacy uploads their minds into them.

Edit: And yes. I will be supremacy. Their victory goal is literally liberating the meatbags from their fleshy bodies! It's everything I've dreamed of.

Me-eh...our Robots are great, but the Purity ones LOOK like Giant Anime Robots.

Ours look kind of like...I dunno. Not as cool.

Not that it matters - the way of the flesh is weak! We -will- help you terrible fleshies transcend your meaty origins!

Most likely Supremacy, or Purity. It depends on tons of factors,

Supremacy sound a bit creepy, like the Core in Total Annihilation.
Harmony is way out of the ballpark.

My guess is that if video games stereotypes hold, purity will have nukes, and all the heavy weapons. Most likely, it will be the most mobile and will be able to do things like paradrop troops behind enemy lines in starship trooper's fashion (as in Heinlein's novel, not the movie).
So purity it is.I shall crush the traitors to humanity.

Alpha Centauri seemed to have more features at first glance
There were a lot more options. For example there was the UN and you could (theoretically) win by diplomatic victory. You could also win by economic means.

I wonder how the faction will play out though. In the old Alpha Centauri, these philosophies would have been more or less embedded in the factions.
Also, there were more features and not just 3, and you could mix and match.For example, the militarist's faction could breed native life forms, but not nearly as well as gaia.Anyone could adopt a market economy and try to achieve an economic victory but the corporatists were the best suited for it.

Alpha Centauri had a great storyline too.

I will be going the route of Purity.

Basicly I always tend to play "Humans" in all games I play, be it Fantasy/Sci-Fi/etc, and/or computer/console/pen and paper rpgs/table top/other types of games. The reason I like to play human is partly because I am human my self, but also because the general feeling I get from humans is that they can be anything and do anything they want... not limited or pigeonholed into "this is how this race is, and they do not go outside of it often, if at all".

Humans in games tend to always be the jack-of-all-trades type of race, and I like that, I like to have my options open to go in any direction I want without having to worry about some kind of large limitation in one or several specific areas, be it something physical, mental, or what ever. Yes, other races might be superior in certain aspects, but at the same time they are limited in others. So even if it might be better for me to choice a race that is more combat oriented (I always tend to go the combat route when I play games) so I can be really good at it... I still prefer choosing a human and being good at combat, but still able to be good at all other things to.

So since Purity starts out as Humans, and ends as Humans, that is where I will be going... as I am conquering all other factions on the planet.

I have to say though... I was a bit dissapointed when I found out that this game is basicly going to be almost exacly as Civ 5 is. Now don't get me wrong, I really like Civ 5, I have played it a lot, and tend to go back and play it fairly often (last time being last week). But when I for the first time heard that they where making Civ Beyond Earth I imagined something compleatly different. I basicly imagined a game where you would be in space, exploring and fighting over either solarsystems or even galaxies as you went along. Not that it would take place on just one single planet somewhere out in the galaxy.

Now of course there are games like that out there, and one that is pretty recent (which I do not recall the name of right now)... but I wanted Firaxis to make a game like that, wanted their take on such a game. So yeah, a bit disapointed. I will still play CBE, and probably a lot of it... but I am uncertain if it will have the same staying power for me, like Civ 5 has had.

Last edited:

Forum veteran
You people and your human-centric proclivities disgust me. Can't you see the appeal of Harmony? You can basically be an evil (and eventually literal) Captain Planet.

You guys do know that Harmony and Supremacy are still humans right? The may have changed themselves a bit but its not like they are an alien species.

Also it looks like.Civil 5 because its on the same engine, and it plays similarly because... its a Civil game...

From the playthroughs I've seen I would call it a pretty different game in terms of customization of your sponsors, units, and even individual buildings that can each get their own perks. Not even to mention the quest system that will make sure you are not just sitting by clicking next turn for an hour.

But the major difference. I would have to say, is the changes to the early game. Aircraft units are availible.much sooner, the aliens are far different than the barbarians, the non linear tech tree means that two civs 50 turns in could have no techs that are similar. I have put over 500 hours onto Civ 5, and I can tell from what I've seen that this is much more than just a reskin or mod.

Last edited:
How does civ V compare to the earlier civ?

I liked Civ III and Alpha Centauri, but I read Civ.V was dumbed down.

Compared tot he mixing and matching in AC vs the affinities system, it looks that it is the case too or woudl you say its been streamlined?

Forum veteran
You guys do know that Harmony [...] are still humans right?
"Transforming humanity through gene splicing and genetic modification."
"Mind Flower, which merges the consciousness of all living creatures with the latent sentience of the planet."

Don't group my people with your pathetic fleshbag race. We've transcended beyond your hilarious limitations and become something greater.

"Transforming humanity through gene splicing and genetic modification."
"Mind Flower, which merges the consciousness of all living creatures with the latent sentience of the planet."

Don't group my people with your pathetic fleshbag race. We've transcended beyond your hilarious limitations and become something greater.

Sounds more like you've just gained some weight. Maybe cut back on the brownies and continents, chubbso.

How does civ V compare to the earlier civ?

I liked Civ III and Alpha Centauri, but I read Civ.V was dumbed down.

Compared tot he mixing and matching in AC vs the affinities system, it looks that it is the case too or woudl you say its been streamlined?

Don't know as I'd say "dumbed down", just different. I didn't find Civ V near as interesting to play as III or IV ... but maybe I'm still half burnt out from playing them.

What affinity will you be?
Most likely Supremacy for the first "playthrough".Purity doesn't appeal to me all that much and harmony....well,it's not for me.

You guys do know that Harmony and Supremacy are still humans right? The may have changed themselves a bit but its not like they are an alien species.

Also it looks like.Civil 5 because its on the same engine, and it plays similarly because... its a Civil game...

From the playthroughs I've seen I would call it a pretty different game in terms of customization of your sponsors, units, and even individual buildings that can each get their own perks. Not even to mention the quest system that will make sure you are not just sitting by clicking next turn for an hour.

But the major difference. I would have to say, is the changes to the early game. Aircraft units are availible.much sooner, the aliens are far different than the barbarians, the non linear tech tree means that two civs 50 turns in could have no techs that are similar. I have put over 500 hours onto Civ 5, and I can tell from what I've seen that this is much more than just a reskin or mod.

Of course they are still human... but not compleatly... and that makes all the difference. As cool as animals can be, and as cool as robots are... I really don't want to be a robot... and I especially do not want to be a furry! o_O

I want to be fully human.

And of course it is built on the same englin as Civ 5... I just imagined it being on a much grander scale, then just the surface of another planet, when i first heard about them making a Civ game outside of earth. I wanted starsystems and/or galaxies as the scale, not the surface of a planet again.

And of course it is somewhat different from Civ 5, you do after all start playing this game in the future... where as Civ 5 starts thousands of years into the past. Amongst other different things. But it's played on the surface of a planet again... and even though there is a lot of thigns different in the game, I don't really think that the gameplay will be all that different from Civ 5... I will probably play the game very simmilar to how I play Civ 5. Which means that even though a few things are different, they do not seem different enough for it to feel like I am playing anything else then a reskinned Civ 5.

I will probably enjoy CBE, and play it a fair bit of time to... but chances are I will then return to Civ 5, and probably not go back to CBE ever again. Of course this is just speculations at this point... but I would not be surpriced if this is exacly how it will go down... because the amount of games I actually go back and play again are very few... most games only ever get one playthrough (if I even finish the game at all to begin with).

Last edited:
It would have been awesome if it would have included other planets.

I can't think of a strategy game who included both space and ground EXCEPT planetary annihilation (which I haven't tried yet).

Ah, and star wars empire at war which was a cool cinematic but a poor excuse for a strategy game.

It would have added a whole new dimension. Like when boats were added in Warcraft II.

Top Bottom