Why on earth Cyberpunk doesn't have a NEW GAME +

+
Why on earth they are not planning a NEW GAME + in Cyberpunk, am i suppose to waste my time leveling up and upgrade my character every time i wanna start a new game, this makes a one time game for me :/

Apparently it is very difficult to fix in the Red Engine / The way their code works. I am not exactly sure why; AC odyssey for example makes it (for an untrained eye) very easy: Just reset the story, let the player keep all perks and weapons, and restart at the beginning.

My personal guess is that being too high level at the start bugs out the tutorial / Watson area. But I am just guessing.

The official reason, and I'm paraphrasing a little here is: "Balancing the game for NG+ as well as issues within some of the starting areas, make it too hard to implement in the game as it currently is"

There were some tweets, and other statements that basically said they considered it and tried working on it, but could not get it to work in a way they were happy with, there were issues with being able to access areas in the early game the player shouldn't have been able to, as well as balancing combat, and adding some sort of meaningful progression/rewards and a reason for the player to want to actually complete an NG+ run.

Again, sorta paraphrasing there, but it was just something they couldn't make work, not sure if Red Engine specifically had anything to do with it or if it was just the design choices they made. But honestly, I think it's fine, the different lifepaths and Indepth character creator, as well as the new skill tree give plenty of reason to start from level 1 and work your way up to 60 so if you really want to see different choices/outcomes/etc... I don't think starting over is that big of a deal.... But I guess that comes down to preference, I would like an NG+ mode if it was well implemented, here's hoping they get it in for Orion.

Because CDPR's implementation of NG+ is a bit raw, which is why Witcher 3 for example had numerous NG+ exclusive bugs which were never a thing in the original playthrough.

Considering how complexly insane Cyberpunk is to even fix the currently numerous existing bugs for the one and only playthrough, it is completely understandable why they are not interested to try creating an NG+ for the game.

Here's a mod.

Even though I'm not personally interested in the feature I find the reasoning against it pretty weak. Not that they needed a reason but it's not rocket surgery, some compromises could have been made for a functioning newgame+ feature even if it wasn't a 1-1 copy of your inventory and stats. The reward for playing it is intrinsic for those who enjoy such things, it doesn't need extra incentives.

Again I don't care, just rationally speaking that's how it strikes me. *shrug*

Ampee

Forum regular
This is an unpopular opinion (and probably I'm alone with it):
I don't want an "ng+" for game like this. An open world where you spend 50+ hours is something where you will have plenty of time to play with stuff, and progression is "your choice". Do I want to replay the game where they remove one of the features (progression)? No.

Meaningful NG+ came with games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Bioshock. Where you progress on a linear path with almost linear progression. The joy of NG+ came with playing around with toys from the get go. Toys (weapons/abilities...etc) that are introduced far in the game and you only have a couple of hours of playtime with.

These new open world games are pointless with NG+ for me. Again: it's just me.

You can make your own Game+ on PC by downloading from Nexus mods a save game just at the beginning of Act 2 ( or use your own) and modify it with save games editor (also available there) to incorporate your end game character.

I don't want an "ng+" for game like this. An open world where you spend 50+ hours is something where you will have plenty of time to play with stuff, and progression is "your choice". Do I want to replay the game where they remove one of the features (progression)? No.

Meaningful NG+ came with games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Bioshock. Where you progress on a linear path with almost linear progression. The joy of NG+ came with playing around with toys from the get go. Toys (weapons/abilities...etc) that are introduced far in the game and you only have a couple of hours of playtime with.

These new open world games are pointless with NG+ for me. Again: it's just me.

I feel the EXACT opposite. NG+ in linear games are pointless. In linear games character progression is a much more important feature than in open world games.

In open world games it is amazing to already having the build you want, and all the weapons you want, it removes one of the few frustrations. To me it is perfectly worth it to play thru AC Odyssey 3 times so I on the 4th playthru, which I count as the "canon" playthru I start at lvl 100 and doesn't have to be annoyed at having to upgrade gear or other frustrating stuff and can enjoy the story and the world instead.

I would LOVE to play Cyberpunk 2077 starting at lvl 60 so I wouldn't have to try to avoid doing story missions and just grind until I am high level. I hate that the only things left to do is pointless busy stuff when I am high level, I have already "wasted" all the story missions trying to grind, and I am stuck with like 3 hours worth of police hustles or something when I am finally where I want to be, character wise. Seriously, sometimes I wonder what purpose leveling up has in this game since there are no quests left by the time you have leveled up.

Basically to me trying to level up destroys the fun, but it is no fun not being max level.

Speaking of, Is there a mod that let's me start at lvl 60?

I feel the EXACT opposite. NG+ in linear games are pointless. In linear games character progression is a much more important feature than in open world games.

In open world games it is amazing to already having the build you want, and all the weapons you want, it removes one of the few frustrations. To me it is perfectly worth it to play thru AC Odyssey 3 times so I on the 4th playthru, which I count as the "canon" playthru I start at lvl 100 and doesn't have to be annoyed at having to upgrade gear or other frustrating stuff and can enjoy the story and the world instead.

I would LOVE to play Cyberpunk 2077 starting at lvl 60 so I wouldn't have to try to avoid doing story missions and just grind until I am high level. I hate that the only things left to do is pointless busy stuff when I am high level, I have already "wasted" all the story missions trying to grind, and I am stuck with like 3 hours worth of police hustles or something when I am finally where I want to be, character wise. Seriously, sometimes I wonder what purpose leveling up has in this game since there are no quests left by the time you have leveled up.

Basically to me trying to level up destroys the fun, but it is no fun not being max level.

Speaking of, Is there a mod that let's me start at lvl 60?
One of the main appeals of cyberpunk is how it makes you feel. You start off as a powerless nobody with no cred to your name. Then you get more powerful and people start recognizing you. Eventually making the ending of your story feel rewarding. You made it to the big league's. And your finally strong enough to protect those you love.

One of the main appeals of cyberpunk is how it makes you feel. You start off as a powerless nobody with no cred to your name. Then you get more powerful and people start recognizing you. Eventually making the ending of your story feel rewarding. You made it to the big league's. And your finally strong enough to protect those you love.

That's the STORY yes, and yet me and Jackie can take down a mech with nothing but handguns. Point is, we all play for different reasons. And as much as I love RPGs, I really loathe loot-mania (and even in 2.x the game sufferst from it; 43646346 guns, but they are only good as vendor trash). And as I said I hate grinding for levels but you have to or the game is over before you have your build ready.

The simple answer is; weak game development and CDPR's desire to move away from the RedEngine and CP77.

Last edited:
This would be awesome. Baldur's Gate 1 was my first game providing that possibility... via export/Import of the main character. Not someone's jam? They can very simply not use it. Done.

Presently, I make up for this by having a CET-based script that sets my V to where she should be, sans all the clicking to get the perks set. Needless to say, 2.0 broke it, and it needed rework to still fulfill its function.

Last edited:
Actually, this game have only one disadvantage (as for me)... It ends. I would like to new game+ be in cyberpunk. I want to play it more, feel all of the mechanics from the start, with experience of all of my builds (after 6 playthroughs), perks and mechanics which developers gave us. Isn't that great?

I don't want an "ng+" for game like this.

LOADS of people think NG+ is pointless - loooaaads:

I''ve always felt NG+ is very hit or miss and heavily depends on the game itself and how it's implemented.... Starfield for example has a very interesting take on NG+... that game has other issues, so there is that, But as far as NG+ goes, it does pretty strongly incentivize an NG+ run instead of just starting a new character fro scratch.

I personally enjoy creating a new character so starting over is my preference, unless NG+ offers something unique to experience, which in many cases it does. So really It depends on how they do it IMO.

New game plus is more complex than people might think at first blush. For instance, some games have designed environments / quests around players not having certain skills when they do them.

One obvious example in Cyberpunk might be something like double jump. I've no idea whether you can get it in the prologue so am just using it to illustrate the point. If, say, a quest depends on you going through point X and the effect of having double jump is that you can complete the quest without going through point X, new game plus may cause the game to break.

There will be lots of things like this that can cause real problems and that would need to be redone from scratch. Indeed, implementing new game plus might involve having to redesign some environments in the game completely.

So, yes, it might just be "because your character would be too powerful". But it can also be problems that are less obvious.

I'm still hoping they find a way to make it work. Even if it comes with some downsides and weird workarounds.

Apparently it is very difficult to fix in the Red Engine / The way their code works. I am not exactly sure why; AC odyssey for example makes it (for an untrained eye) very easy: Just reset the story, let the player keep all perks and weapons, and restart at the beginning.

My personal guess is that being too high level at the start bugs out the tutorial / Watson area. But I am just guessing.
New game plus is more complex than people might think at first blush. For instance, some games have designed environments / quests around players not having certain skills when they do them.

One obvious example in Cyberpunk might be something like double jump. I've no idea whether you can get it in the prologue so am just using it to illustrate the point. If, say, a quest depends on you going through point X and the effect of having double jump is that you can complete the quest without going through point X, new game plus may cause the game to break.

There will be lots of things like this that can cause real problems and that would need to be redone from scratch. Indeed, implementing new game plus might involve having to redesign some environments in the game completely.

So, yes, it might just be "because your character would be too powerful". But it can also be problems that are less obvious.
It is possible to complete all activities in watson before starting act 2. You can easily get any cyberware or perks that you want

Top Bottom