Help the new CM buy his console. PS4 or XBoxOne?

+
Help the new CM buy his console. PS4 or XBoxOne?

Howdy folks, Evil Chris here.

I recognize I am potentially opening a can of worms, but I am totally on the fence and want your opinion. I know The WItcher has the smartest fans (never hurts to blatantly pander to your community), so I'm looking for advice from y'all for my next game platform. Currently I have an Xbox 360, but want to upgrade to the next gen to be ready for when The Witcher Wild Hunt comes out.

Now, I know some of you are saying "Play on PC" "PC Master Race", "Upgrade your PC", etc. The truth is I spend a lot of my day working at my PC doing my job as your North American community manager. As such, I view my PC as a work tool. When I want to relax, I prefer to play on my console (I also have 64inch TV and really comfortable recliner chair to play in). I appreciate playing on PC (I'm old enough that if you wanted to play games you HAD to play on a PC), but I am specifically looking for a new console.

So, should it be a Playstation 4 or should it be an Xbox One? Both have pros and cons. Both have exclusives. Both have networking. There will be great games available for both (like Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc) so is it the exclusives? Being able to play The Last of Us is very tempting (as an Xbox owner I haven't played it yet), same with Uncharted. But Sunset Overdrive looks like fun and Quantum Break looks cool.

So, please, your sensible recommendations for what I should get and why. PLEASE do not fight with each other over what is best. Both systems are great (hence my deliberation) and fighting between posters will annoy me risking my mighty ire (I'm sure I have some mighty ire around here someplace, don't make me go looking). Thanks folks.

Howdy folks, Evil Chris here.

I recognize I am potentially opening a can of worms, but I am totally on the fence and want your opinion. I know The WItcher has the smartest fans (never hurts to blatantly pander to your community), so I'm looking for advice from y'all for my next game platform. Currently I have an Xbox 360, but want to upgrade to the next gen to be ready for when The Witcher Wild Hunt comes out.

Now, I know some of you are saying "Play on PC" "PC Master Race", "Upgrade your PC", etc. The truth is I spend a lot of my day working at my PC doing my job as your North American community manager. As such, I view my PC as a work tool. When I want to relax, I prefer to play on my console (I also have 64inch TV and really comfortable recliner chair to play in). I appreciate playing on PC (I'm old enough that if you wanted to play games you HAD to play on a PC), but I am specifically looking for a new console.

So, should it be a Playstation 4 or should it be an Xbox One? Both have pros and cons. Both have exclusives. Both have networking. There will be great games available for both (like Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc) so is it the exclusives? Being able to play The Last of Us is very tempting (as an Xbox owner I haven't played it yet), same with Uncharted. But Sunset Overdrive looks like fun and Quantum Break looks cool.

So, please, your sensible recommendations for what I should get and why. PLEASE do not fight with each other over what is best. Both systems are great (hence my deliberation) and fighting between posters will annoy me risking my mighty ire (I'm sure I have some mighty ire around here someplace, don't make me go looking). Thanks folks.

Well it really depends. Xbox One is less powerful, so the game will probably look worse - played on lower resolution and/or framerate.
PS4 has slightly more power than Xbox, but it doesn't have as good social and TV features as Microsoft's console.

You must take into consideration the exclusives you are excited about and if you care about the TV aspect of it and if you are willing to sacrifice slightly better visuals for these features.

All that said - you can play your PC games on your nice chair and TV with a pad, just as well as a console. Building the PC is not hard, nor as expensive as people make it out to be. Especially this is the weakest generation so far.

If I would absolutely have to pick a console - I would pick PS4, just because of that small power boost, that may be the difference between playing your favorite games on 60fps instead of 30, or 900p instead of 720p.

“Consoles are consoles. Lesser, middling, makes no difference. The choice of FPS is arbitrary, the resolution blurred. If I’m to choose between one console and another, I'd rather not choose at all.”

But if I'd be tied down to a chair and forced to choose, I'd probably choose the PS4. Just because Sony is not as scummy as MS and the machine performs marginally better.

I'd get PS4 simply for the superior hardware and nutty Japanese games available.

Edit- Never mind, I mean I'd get the Microsoft Xbox One, the all in one entertainment system for the whole family. :p

Last edited:
I'd get a Wii. For serious games I would use a PC and for some fun with freinds play a round of Mario Kart or the like. ^^

^ Seconding Dragonbird's post. They should be paying you enough that you can afford both and an HDMI switch.

Seriously, the PS4 has more hamsters turning the computing wheels, by enough to run demanding games at a noticeable advantage. But even though Sony's ability to continue as a going concern is no longer in doubt (it was, as recently as two years ago, after being run for years by a vulture capitalist), it does not have and probably cannot build an infrastructure to match Microsoft's. I think this means more and better-made titles for the Xbone over the life of the consoles. I'd like to be wrong about that.

PS3 had better exclusives, and I guess that will be the case with PS4...And that is the only reason...

My "console":
View attachment 7404
Image taken while still remodeling the living room.

PRO's:
superior hardware to both PS4 and XBone.
5+ TB storage local and access to other PC's data.
Build in Digital TV- card with enough hard-drive space for recording.
Can convert and edit videos.
Dolby surround
Controller, keyboard and mouse
Fully upgradeable

CON's:
Needs an extra receiver to watch pay-TV live sport transmissions.

Extra feature: interactive mapping tool for Pen & Paper RPG's

If I had to really choose a console only Nintendo would be an option and only because of Zelda.

Attachments

• P2250026.jpg
    P2250026.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 41
I'd say get a Steam Machine :) I know, it's not serious now, since you want to play the Witcher 3 on it and the Linux version for sure isn't coming at release time, but in the future it should be a good contender amongst consoles.

And really, if you don't want to load your working computer, just get another PC (Steam Machines are PCs anyway) if you can afford it. You can connect controllers and video cables to arrange a setup similar to other consoles out there. And you won't be limited by crazy restrictions of console systems and their DRM.

UPDATE: I see @Sanamia already proposed the same idea ;D

Last edited:
Between consoles go for PS4, better power.

But really if you just don't want to stay at a desk while playing go for a PC hooked to a TV and a controller.

Between both PS4 and the Xbox One I would lean slightly, very slightly to PS4. That said I have yet to touch an X1. Microsoft so far has the better exclusives(console vs console wise) with Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, and the upcoming Master Chief collection. So far PS4 has The Last of Us and later Uncharted 4 and Little Big Planet.

PS4 has some more power but if devs follow suit of Ubisoft it will matter not so everyone can be happy about their choice of console.

Both UI are complete ass, PS4 is a little less garbled.

You want better exclusives(so far) then X1, slightly better console then PS4. Also I would decide based on what you're friends are on.

I also think you could just hook up another computer to a TV. The performance alone would be worth it.

But if I were forced to choose at gun point, I'd go for a PS4. Better hardware, historically better exclusives, and more rewarding community.

Now if I HAD to choose a console to complement a gaming PC, I'd choose Nintendo.

Go with whatever console you think will eventually get better exclusives/exclusives you like(right now there isn't much). Some might suggest getting a PS4 over an Xbox One but they're consoles specs have never been the 'selling point' so to speak. That said, it seems multiplats are generally performing better on the PS4.

I miss the days when consoles actually had their own games and were not multiplat central

Personally? If I were buying a new console I'd buy a Wii-U

BUT

I assume you want to play all the new multiplats so that's not an option. This is all personal preference.

Yeah, the PS4 has better hardware but so far I don't really see many interesting exclusives yet. I think Microsoft had a way better E3 showing this year than Sony. I personally think Phantom Dust, Crackdown, Scalebound, Quantum Break, D4, Sunset Overdrive, Master chief collection all look or sound more interesting than a lot of what Sony showed.

I think Microsoft knows that they are not the number 1 so far this gen and I think it may make them create a lot of interesting exclusives in the future. The original xbox I think was a forgotten system. It had the best hardware of it's generation but most only remember it for Halo. It had so many interesting exclusives that flew under so many peoples radar. I really want another original xbox from MS and I think the Xbox One may be it.

All in all: I would think about the Xbox One and not disregard it due to hardware. It's a gamble but microsoft may make a lot of interesting exclusives like they did during the original xbox. Get a PS4 if you care more about multiplats.

To be honest though. I probably will not buy an Xbox One just because Microsoft is showing more signs of bringing Xbox One games to PC. Chris doesn't seem to care about that though. I'd probably buy a PS4 for Japanese games and a Wii U for Nintendo games if I had the money.

I think the concept of "exclusives" is on its way to the garbage dump of history, and while console makers like MS and Sony will try to make it persist (which is apparent from posts here) in order to convince users to buy either one, stronger competition will bust this artificial restriction and they'll have to compete on real things (such as hardware quality and the like). So it's better not to linger on this obsolete idea of "what has better exclusives".

Last edited:
I think the concept of "exclusives" is on its way to the garbage dump of history, and while console makers like MS and Sony will try to make it persist, which apparent from posts here in order to convince users to buy either one, stronger competition will bust this model and they'll have to compete on real things (such as hardware quality and the like). So it's better not to linger on this obsolete idea of "what has better exclusives".
I don't see any signs exclusives are dying on any platform. People still buy Nintendo consoles not because of their hardware but because of the exclusives, people are buying an Xbox One just for the MCC, People are buying a PS4 for Bloodborne. I don't think hardware is really what sells a console and I don't think it ever will be. At the start of every gen there are people who buy just for the hardware, but later on it's because of the games. If there are two consoles with identical hardware what will make people decide their purchase then? Games

I don't see any signs exclusives are dying on any platform.

You need to see the dynamics, not the current picture. Exclusives can exist only in a sick non competitive market, where developers aren't interested in making cross platform versions because major console makers give them some extra profits if they release just for them. In a healthy market developers would gain more profit from releasing on all platforms simply because of higher reach to their users. So basically what you have to look at is the level of competition. Right now there are simply two major high end console makers Sony and MS, that's why this sick exclusives approach persists.

A major disruption to this situation with more hardware makers can put an end to it. And I think things are heading in that direction with several hardware manufacturers like Asus and others making console gaming computers (as part of Steam Machines effort). Chances are good that Valve's push for more console makers will be quite disruptive.

If there are two consoles with identical hardware what will make people decide their purchase then? Games

Exactly, and once those games run everywhere, users are free to choose any hardware they prefer, just like with PCs. There is no valid reason why consoles situation shouldn't offer the same freedom of choice. Besides the unhealthy market situation as above.

Last edited:
I disagree; it is the current picture that is of importance in making a purchase of hardware or software for current use. And it is certainly not any market dynamic for which there is not evidence.

Describing the relationship between game developers and console makers as "sick" is meaningless unless it is backed up by statements about how it is already in decline. The ethics of this relationship is irrelevant.

Valve's Steambox has no present impact on the market for consoles and console games. It is also possible that it will gain no market share and become irrelevant. In any case, unless you can obtain an equal library of games for it now, it is not a useful option for immediate purchase.

The original topic was whether Chris's stated needs would be better served by either of two stated platforms. The discussion that ensued has not remained on that topic.

Last edited:
You need to see the dynamics, not the current picture. Exclusives can exist only in a sick non competitive market, where developers aren't interested in making cross platform versions because major console makers give them some extra profits if they release just for them. In a healthy market developers would gain more profit from releasing on all platforms simply because of higher reach to their users. So basically what you have to look at is at the level of competition. Right now there are simply two major high end console makers Sony and MS, that's why this sick exclusives approach persists.

A major disruption to this situation with more hardware makers can put an end to it. And I think things are heading in that direction with several hardware manufcaturers like Asus and others making console gaming computers (as part of Steam Machines effort). Chances are good that Valve's push for more console makers will be quite disruptive.

Exactly, and once those games run everywhere, users are free to chose any hardware they prefer, just like with PCs. There is no valid reason why consoles situation should offer the same freedom of choice. Besides the unhealthy market situation as above.
Sony and MS will always own their own studios though. Exclusives will never die as long as a console company has its own game studios.

You mention about devs releasing on all platforms. Some games simply would not have been made without Sony,MS,Nintendo paying for them. Look at Bayonetta 2. Many times these exclusives were never going to be made if it weren't for funding from one of these big companies. I just cannot see exclusives going anywhere in the future. Even if Valve or whoever makes Steam machines there will still be games exclusive to only Steam machines.

I think better hardware coming out is just going to enforce exclusives even more, not make them go away. If two systems have the same specs people will buy the one that has the games they can't play on the other one. Even when there were more than 2 big companies exclusives still were the reason many people bought one system over the other.

Top Bottom