Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, my day. Just came bak to home. All the day stuck in university: 3 hour lesson, lunch, then 3 hour and half lesson.
The first was intersting, I followed it easily.

But the second lesson, despite the professor being really good, was like:

Did he play Beethoven in the background?

There are lines. Do you guys see them? The magic lines.

Alright my day. Early wake up to go to the University. Had two classes back to back, one was a 2 hour class about road construction. Then I had a 3 hour class about liquid mechanics.

Then I had to go find a professor to get an assignment. This professor is a dick. Only thing that surpasses his dickiness is his inability to teach anything. But anyway. Got the assignment. Which is an assignment about measuring and eventually drawing a part of our University. So I had to go check up the place with my team and make a pre - drawing. It was kind of raining, and the spots that we had to find according to our plans were not there. So yeah. This probably doesn't make much sense. But it's kind of hard for me to explain it in English. Then I went out to eat something with one of my team members.

After that I got home and played some music. I'm about to finish that one song I was making. And now I'm typing here. :)

Do you live far from your education place (i'm just not sure if school or college or university)?
If this happens often, why not take an earlier train then? so in case of delay you'll still miss less than more.
About an hour journey from my home to my class (In Ghent we have different buildings all over the city all belonging to the university so I never say 'I go to my university'). And I could indeed take a train earlier but than I'll have even less sleep if I have classes in the morning like today. :p

But the second lesson, despite the professor being really good, was like:

At least you have a good teacher. I'm following 3 courses: 2 of them are interesting and with really good teachers. But the third one is sooooo damn boring, and with a shitty ass professor, who just doesn't know how to... well... EXPLAIN things. Pretty much no one understands what he says, never seen anything like that in my whole school career.

Usually after the first hour I'm already like, dammit just cut the crap. Literally.

Hah, I would've preferred boring classes/lectures over my day anytime. I recently started an internship at a high school, and today I was supposed to help give a class/training. My main internship supervisor turned out to be at home sick though, so I spent 8 hours semi-pretending to read literature from my field. Nothing else to do and pretty much no one to talk to. 8 hours never felt so long.

Hah, I would've preferred boring classes/lectures over my day anytime. I recently started an internship at a high school, and today I was supposed to help give a class/training. My main internship supervisor turned out to be at home sick though, so I spent 8 hours semi-pretending to read literature from my field. Nothing else to do and pretty much no one to talk to. 8 hours never felt so long.

Well, when in doubt, there's always this forum,there will be always someone to talk to you.

- - - Update - - -

Folks, i have good news, and sad news...
Good news, The video is uploaded and everything looks fine, as far as i know...
Sad news, I won't be able to share the video today because i have one missing element that won't be filled i guess till some events will happen.
I put it on unlisted so don't bother looking...
I'm sorry...

Well, when in doubt, there's always this forum,there will be always someone to talk to you.

- - - Update - - -

Folks, i have good news, and sad news...
Good news, The video is uploaded and everything looks fine, as far as i know...
Sad news, I won't be able to share the video today because i have one missing element that won't be filled i guess till some events will happen.
I put it on unlisted so don't bother looking...
I'm sorry...

What is this missing thing?

So since I didn't see a real mention about it...

Anybody seen the video made by platige image in corporation with the ESA referencing the Rosetta mission?

Damn now I hope the little Philae survives it's odd landing position somehow.

edit: and for those that didn't know the Rosetta probe is carrying a "Rosetta disk" a small disk holding 1500 languages including the texts of the original Rosetta stone.

Last edited:
All these people in school and I'm sitting here like 'Damn, I outta figure out that whole college thing one of these days...'

*fails*

I can't lie though, I have a pretty sweet job, and I hardly feel like spending what little free time I have on school. I could be gaming or randomly posting on gaming forums. Pshhh.

All these people in school and I'm sitting here like 'Damn, I outta figure out that whole college thing one of these days...'

*fails*

I can't lie though, I have a pretty sweet job, and I hardly feel like spending what little free time I have on school. I could be gaming or randomly posting on gaming forums. Pshhh.

Well this is one of the best places to spend your free time on...

I'm afraid browsing websites other than field-related things won't look professional, especially not if I dare do that in the second week that I'm there. Despite not having many people to talk to, there was always someone sitting behind me somewhere, able to see my monitor.

*fails*

It's all about what you find important. If I had a steady, decent-paid job myself, I doubt I'd still be studying either. On the other hand, I still have the child in me that says I never want to work a full-time job, ever (and studying is a good excuse for that, I suppose). Last year I'll be able to avoid it, though!

Damn now I hope the little Philae survives it's odd landing position somehow.

edit: and for those that didn't know the Rosetta probe is carrying a "Rosetta disk" a small disk holding 1500 languages including the texts of the original Rosetta stone.

Hmm yeah what was it again, it had to attempt a landing multiple times right? Some failed anchoring mechanism or something.
Still I can't help but be super impressed by this mission. The precision that must have been involved in this. Just like I sometimes find it hard to believe that we can calculate the size and interaction of objects unimaginably far away. If I was born technical and/or good with maths, I totally would've ended up trying to work on these missions.

Always been a space girl :p

Last edited:
Did he play Beethoven in the background?
- No. No! NO! Stop it! Stop it, please! I beg you! This is sin! This is sin! This is sin! It's a sin, it's a sin, it's a sin!
- Sin? What's all this about sin?
- That! Using Ludwig van like that! He did no harm to anyone. Beethoven just wrote music!
- Are you referring to the background score?
- Yes!
- You've heard Beethoven before?
- Yes!
- So, you're keen on music?
- YES!
- Can't be helped. Here's the punishment element perhaps.

At least you have a good teacher. I'm following 3 courses: 2 of them are interesting and with really good teachers. But the third one is sooooo damn boring, and with a shitty ass professor, who just doesn't know how to... well... EXPLAIN things. Pretty much no one understands what he says, never seen anything like that in my whole school career.

Usually after the first hour I'm already like, dammit just cut the crap. Literally.

Professors who can't do their work are so frustrating, expecially if they WANT you to say everything during the exam... what you should say? Things they never explained? Oh well... :p

The last 40 minutes today were totally sleep, I continued listening and writing but sometimes I watched the blackboard without realizing when he wrote all those things...

Hmm yeah what was it again, it had to attempt a landing multiple times right? Some failed anchoring mechanism or something.
Still I can't help but be super impressed by this mission. The precision that must have been involved in this. Just like I sometimes find it hard to believe that we can calculate the size and interaction of objects unimaginably far away. If I was born technical and/or good with maths, I totally would've ended up trying to work on these missions.

Always been a space girl :p

Philae sort of bounced while landing and the bounce made it land a bit wrong. The harpoons didn't fire to anchor it right into the surface, then again nobody ever tried harpooning a Comet before.
Philae weighs 100KG on earth, on that comet it's more like 1gram, flying at insane speeds to catch a comet. It's awesome it even landed at all.

It's all about what you find important. If I had a steady, decent-paid job myself, I doubt I'd still be studying either. On the other hand, I still have the child in me that says I never want to work a full-time job, ever (and studying is a good excuse for that, I suppose). Last year I'll be able to avoid it, though!

Yeah, at the end of high school I had to accept the fact that I had no idea what I wanted to go to college for, and if I'd have gone it would have been only to delay the inevitable... Working full time. I'd have gotten myself into a lot of debt for a career path I probably wouldn't have liked. I made myself go get a job workin' where ever they'd take me, which ended up being retail, for the experience. It sucked. But I'm so glad I did it. I think everyone should be forced to work retail, or some form of low paying customer service work, at some point in their life.

Anyway, now that I've worked out there in the real world and I've climbed a bit to get to where I am now, I still think about college every once in a while...
Gotta have respect for folks who can manage college. I know that stuff ain't easy.

The last 40 minutes today were totally sleep, I continued listening and writing but sometimes I watched the blackboard without realizing when he wrote all those things...

Hah, that's what happens to me as well. Sometimes the lectures are so bad, all they do is literally read aloud what it says on their PowerPoint presentation *yawn*. I usually end up staring at something, later wondering what the heck has been said to us. Our lectures aren't mandatory, but somehow I always have good faith and go anyway. Disappointed every time.

I made myself go get a job workin' where ever they'd take me, which ended up being retail, for the experience. It sucked. But I'm so glad I did it. I think everyone should be forced to work retail, or some form of low paying customer service work, at some point in their life.

Totally get your point, I work as a cashier on minimum wage and it taught me a ton about "respect" (or whatever it is some customers think it means), patience and I guess just people in general. Kind of a love-hate job for me. At least for now it's managable next to my education and internship (or well, sort of, time-wise it can be struggle for survival :p).

My education was hell. It was so bad that I've blocked it out of my mind as my secondary school days were the worst of my life. I got mostly Cs and Ds, which I put down to the shit teachers and the assholes in my year who would regularly interrupt classes and toss paper balls at everyone. Tech was a bit better but even though I got a diploma in IT, it was already outdated. I went back the next year to do a programming course, but the workload was something that I couldn't deal with, so I dropped out after 5 months.

Obviously, I never went to university after all that. Those who can cope with the work however, you have my admiration.

I doubt anyone's going to read this anyway! :laughing:

Well, if we're talking about the great days we've had, mine started with installing Assassin's Creed: Unity and ended about forty minutes later with me trying to clean the RAM sticks and top fan of my case from the black soot-like residue left by the fire which shot out of my graphic card.

Time for an upgrade, alright.

Well, if we're talking about the great days we've had, mine started with installing Assassin's Creed: Unity and ended about forty minutes later with me trying to clean the RAM sticks and top fan of my case from the black soot-like residue left by the fire which shot out of my graphic card.

Time for an upgrade, alright.

Wow, buggy and can set your hardware on fire? They've outdone themselves with this game.
View attachment 7503

What kind of card was it?

Attachments

• unity_fire.jpg
    unity_fire.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 47
Hah, that's what happens to me as well. Sometimes the lectures are so bad, all they do is literally read aloud what it says on their PowerPoint presentation *yawn*. I usually end up staring at something, later wondering what the heck has been said to us. Our lectures aren't mandatory, but somehow I always have good faith and go anyway. Disappointed every time.

Yes because even if they are not mandatory there's that guilt feel when you don't go there. Classic. :p

- No. No! NO! Stop it! Stop it, please! I beg you! This is sin! This is sin! This is sin! It's a sin, it's a sin, it's a sin!
- Sin? What's all this about sin?
- That! Using Ludwig van like that! He did no harm to anyone. Beethoven just wrote music!
- Are you referring to the background score?
- Yes!
- You've heard Beethoven before?
- Yes!
- So, you're keen on music?
- YES!
- Can't be helped. Here's the punishment element perhaps.

Time to start a new marathon with Stanley Kubrick's movies.

http://coub.com/view/d3oprks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom