A question/Idea/petition about REDkit and Consoles.

+

• Yes, and here's why.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No, and here's why.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Maybe, and here's why.

• Other, and here's why.

• Total voters

Hello.

First of all, I'm new here, so if this is not the right place for this I'm sorry. If it is not, I would like for it to be moved to the right place rather then deleted long as it breaks no rules.

Second, I just want to say I love CDProjektRed doing things like free DLC and the like. It shows you guys really care about the consumer in a age where that is sadly becoming increasingly less common, and I will almost certainly buy The Witcher 3 for this.

Now, onto the main topic at hand here, and it may be a volatile one.

I was looking at Redkit, and how people can make mods for the PC, and I was wondering, naive as it may be, "Why can't consoles have that? We have the power now. Is it the user interface? Is it a matter of safety and compatibility? Is it just that MS and Sony would never allow it?"

I post this here, in these forums, because I would like to say as a console player, I would love to see more options on my market then paid for DLC. I was wondering if it would be possible to try and negotiate free mods somehow on the consoles.

Now, I'm not sure if it's possible. It may not be. But I'd like to have more options then having to pay £15 for a DLC, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

So in essence, my question/idea/petition is this: Would it be possible for CDProjektRed to look into the possibility of bringing mods to consoles somehow?

I know, there is a TON of issues. Safety and ease of use for one. people giving away free content for another. But I beleive these are barriers worth trying to get past.

Do you agree with me or not and why?

Edit: Also, for some reason yes seems to go to other. Not sure about other options. /:

Last edited:
That is why I said talk about it. I fail to believe that even if enough pressure was put on from developers who want it it would not happen. Thing is someone needs to make the first push.

There are instances where devs tried to bring modding to consoles, most recent example would be Trials Evolution I think. Now you don't need very good hardware for that game so the question of available resources is not an issue, but my main gripe with the modding tool in that game has to be the fact that is seems rather watered down to what we're used to on the PC - simplified controls, selection of assets that are only available from the devs themselves, etc.

Now another issue that might arise in W3's case would indeed be that "horsepower" you mentioned, there's a high chance W3 will already use the consoles to their maximum potential trying to achieve acceptable looks and performance, trying to throw a modding tool on top of that is just not feasible in my eyes.

So far there are no plans for a modding tool on consoles for W3, but maybe post release CDPR might be able to pull something off, but it will never be on the level of what you can achieve on a PC.
The question is if investing time and resources on a watered down REDkit is worth it for CDPR or not.

Last edited:
Well another question would be, if you could just use mods created on PC for the console. For some instances like content created through redkit, that doesn't edit functionality of the game, but rather content, it might be possible.

If CDPR will be able to create an exporting tool it will be possible, I guess it will be something like the seamworks publishing command in skyrim's creation kit . The main problem here is that this content will need to receive the approval of microsoft or sony. Mods extend the life of the game something that the game developer wish for, moder can take the game to heights never perceived by the developer (from what i know there is and will be great collaboration between CDPR and modders). on the other hand console companies might want payment for the game signature, hindering the concept of moding.

Last edited:
I agree there are a lot of issues and I will try and post my opinions on the one raised here:

The whole consoles simplified issue: I agree that consoles have simplified tech, controls ETC. (Although I'd say that's one of their main selling points: the whole argument of simplicity in gaming vs the complexities that can arise in PC. But that's a argument for another time and place) But I don't think them beyond the power to do this. People were making mods on PC's much less powerful then current gen consoles years ago. The main issues as I see them are compatibility, ease of use, legal and other such issues. As others have said however, the best option would probably be to somehow allow PC made mods to be shipped to console in some form.

MS and Sony: As i see it, these are the biggest issues, however, I don't think it a impossible issue. In fact I think it quite simple: All you would need to do is convince one of them that the good will gained from mods would be be worth the hassle of fixing the issue. If you do that for one, then that one will get praise for being the first console to allow mods in a good way, meaning the other will follow suit. For a example of what I mean, look at E3 2013. Sony said their console would not do all the stupid things MS did, and said indie games would be a big part of Sony, and they rode that good will to 10 million PS4 sales. And them MS got rid of their anti consumer polices regarding the Xbox One, because if they did not they would die out. All you would need to do is convince them the effort of getting free mods on consoles is worth it.

I understand what you mean, MS grant authentication signature to 3 party windows drivers for free, why not do the same for mods.

In 3 party drivers MS know who thy are dealing with, with mods thy don't. The main different is that a mod require compatibility, correct load order, and the mods need to be clean (without any deleted vanilla objects or loose ends) some mod makers do all thy can to grant the best possible experience, some less. errors in those aspects can cause freezes hangs and ctd, sometimes even crash on load. Even if a mod maker will do the best thy can it is certain that another mod will cause errors to players, extensive mods need constant babysitting from their authors, for consoles it mean new signature for every version.

In the PC version of the game the player can use 3 party programs like mod managers (easily installed for the pc version) and BOSS, even tho it have an extensive masterlist. this program make a lot of mistakes and miss a lot of new mods. i don't know if it is possible to use a programs of this sort in consoles.

In most cases the ball is at MS's and Sony's hands. i guess it will be possible to add the masterlist to the console an automated intelligent sorting according to the type of the mod installed.

Last edited:
If you want freedom of expansion packs, please support open platforms and not ones locked up to the brink like MS and Sony consoles.

But there aren`t any open source consoles unless you count Steam OS and even then i`m not sure it`s exactly open .

I doubt supporting closed ones though is advancing any of these goals. Steam Machines can be an option in the future, but so far it's not clear how much in the future. Supposedly something will be announced on GDC2015.

I doubt supporting closed ones though is advancing any of these goals. Steam Machines can be an option in the future, but so far it's not clear how much in the future. Supposedly something will be announced on GDC2015.

The main issue with such a thing is it would need traction, ease of use, power and a attractive price point, while at the same time allowing mods and freedom in a easy to use and understand way, and having games that can compete with triple A titles, while also being able to go toe to toe with not one but two of arguably the most successful game companies of the gaming industry while at the same time being fairly resistant to major hacks and the like and avoiding all the corporate bull**** going on in the industry lately. But by all means if someone c an throw such a thing together, with some epic games and major support behind it, I know I'd be interested.

I agree 100%. But it still needs to get the games, the traction, the issues I pointed out sorted ETC. It would take nothing less then a massive effort but a ton of passionate people with a lot of money. And it seems when people do try something happens that either makes it shit or has corporate bull**** happen to either stop or purchase it.

Top Bottom