Assassin's Creed Unity

+
Don't protect that civilian, @Luxorek.

I've finished the game. Pretty poor gameplay-wise, more humble storywise than its predecessors (Blackflag excepted). But they did some good things like removing "get back into the mission zone" (I don't know if it even exist in Unity). I couldn't care for Elise at all. I liked the love affair in Revelations better.
Phone App/ Initiates/ microtransactions and UI killed the game for me unfortunately.
Fighting pleased me more but I'm in the minority I believe.
Get rid of that and I would push the game in my top 10 easily. Paris was amazing. Watching people craft things (wheels, barrels, clothes, guns, guillotines, books), wash things, steal things, discuss about their work, the last philosopher they read, counting logs outloud... Just spent 10 min with the HUD disabled in the city, there are hundreds of animations, small talk...
I worked in Saint Germain for a while and all of this moved me a lot. I saw a map of Paris from this era and they did it perfectly.
All the cities I'll visit next year (GTAV, TW3, KCDeliverance,...) will have a hard time toping that.

Last edited:
I tried running it today again and i still get shite performance.

GTX 780 Ti
my CPU is a bit old but should do fine 2500k.Is the game CPU heavy? in that case i can try and OC it.

I drop from 60 to 40 constantly.Not to mention the stutter.I also get freeze frames that last about 5 seconds -.-

Pretty poor gameplay-wise
It's the typcial AC gameplay formula with improved free running (imo), a slightly changed combat and a slightly better stealth approach. What did you expect?

more humble storywise than its predecessors (Blackflag excepted).
What did you mean by that? I think the story was much better than the one in Blackflag but not better than any other AC game before. Too rushed, too little emotional engagement, too less silent moments imo.

I couldn't care for Elise at all. I liked the love affair in Revelations better.
Agreed. They wasted a lot of potential here. The main story always feels "rushed" throughout the whole game, hutning you from one single setpiece to another, without keeping up a consistent narrative. And you don't have any time or opportunity to get attached to the characters, Elise included. After each mission I thought there could have been so much more to it, some deeper narrative elements and more time for character and story exploration. Compared to the AC2 triology the plot is imo way less atmospheric and builds up less tension and emotional engagement.

Phone App/ Initiates/ microtransactions and UI killed the game for me unfortunately.
Sorry, but I can't understand that. You don't require to deal with that at all for the game. Just ignore the blue chests (I hate ALL the chests btw) and you're good.

Paris was amazing. Watching people craft things (wheels, barrels, clothes, guns, guillotines, books), wash things, steal things, discuss about their work, the last philosopher they read, counting logs outloud... Just spent 10 min with the HUD disabled in the city, there are hundreds of animations, small talk...
Agreed. Paris is bloody amazing, especially compared to other games. With a game like DAI being released in the same time you realize the achievements in proper world building here even more. It actually feels like the world is alive and working without you, it's bloody immersive. You're just a single character in a big city that isn't just there to serve as your playground (hello DAI again) but also to just exist for the sake of immersion. You almost feel like you were there, it's not just immersion, it's even some kind of presence which is really hard to achieve.

---------- Updated at 05:12 PM ----------

I tried running it today again and i still get shite performance.

GTX 780 Ti
my CPU is a bit old but should do fine 2500k.Is the game CPU heavy? in that case i can try and OC it.

I drop from 60 to 40 constantly.Not to mention the stutter.I also get freeze frames that last about 5 seconds -.-

Yes, the game is CPU heavy due to the huge crowds. Do you use MSI Afterburner? You can activate in the OSD settings to display the CPU load for each single core to find out whether your CPU is limiting in the situations with framedrops. Also try to close as many programs as possible which possibly run in the background (browser, virus scanner, etc).

1. It's the typcial AC gameplay formula with improved free running (imo), a slightly changed combat and a slightly better stealth approach. What did you expect?

2. What did you mean by that? I think the story was much better than the one in Blackflag but not better than any other AC game before. Too rushed, too little emotional engagement, too less silent moments imo.

3. Sorry, but I can't understand that. You don't require to deal with that at all for the game. Just ignore the blue chests (I hate ALL the chests btw) and you're good..
1. All AC so far has been richer gameplay-wise. Naval combat, shark hunting, horses, more "gadgets", assassins "agents" (this one wasn't good), grapplink hook, hunt/craft. On the other hand, less customization and weapon types. Maybe I'm fine with less features anyway; nothing major. Overall I can agree with anyone saying ACU is regressive. Stealth, combat and parkour are a bit better indeed. I guess coop was the way to make up for that.

2. (random thoughts) By humble (not the right word) I meant you don't have to kill the Pope or a Borgia and you don't feel like the central point of the story or the city (or the world) this time. I didn't feel like a master assassin or the biggest threat in the carabbean seas. You're one only of many figures/shadows in the Revolution. I thought Kenway was a bit of a "straightforward idiot" and... I liked that. Arno was too much like 2's Ezio, maybe they'll try to make him evolve in the DLC or in future games. I liked voice acting and cutscenes more in AC3 and BF too (this time I played in french though).
ACU lacked something like that:
And Bellec's "plan" is idiotic. I cared about Kenway and his ingenuity.
So yeah, mixed feelings about this one.

3. I had popups about Initiates (it doesn't work for me), about Nomad companions Apps. On top of blue chest, there are golden chests too and collectibles for the app. Menuing and UI was awful, very intrusive. The map is a wonder though. And too many currencies in the game, as I mentionned here. It works for you as you managed to ignore it ; it smuthered my enjoyment of the game and still does everytime I stumble accross a blue/golden chest and everytime I access the menus.

So the latest patch is 6.7 gigs..... but when players are going to download they are faced with a 40 gig download to replace the..... whole game. Jeeeeeeeez

http://www.xboxachievements.com/new...h-Making-Players-Replace-the-Entire-Game.html
Remember how the latest Assassin’s Creed: Unity patch was delayed because "rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us"? Well it's out now and LOL. We'll let Ubisoft say it.

“We have received and confirmed reports that some Xbox One players who have previously applied Patch 3 are seeing a 40GB download instead of the expected 6.7GB download,” said the publisher.

Yup, instead of asking players to download a patch, Assassin's Creed Unity's latest update is asking Xbox One users to re-download the whole game.

"Unfortunately, an issue with the patch downloading process is replacing the entire game instead of just the parts affected by the patch," Ubisoft continued. "This is obviously not the expected behavior, and we apologize that many of you will have to wait longer than expected to complete this download."

"This issue isn’t causing any other problems and once the download is completed players will have the most-up-to-date and fully patched version of Assassin’s Creed Unity."

"We are working with Microsoft on a solution to reduce the total download to the intended size so that you can get back into the game faster, but as of now we have no ETA on when this will be resolved."

"Currently there is one known workaround: Owners of the disc version of the game can uninstall the game and reinstall it. On starting the game, the patch process will start with the correct download size."

Oh dear.

I believe this is just for the X1 version though.

Last edited:
Same here.But i still cant maintain 60 fps -.-

Edit: I have started playing it now and i quite enjoy it.
Im playing in french and Arno's voice actor kills it :D i really like his delivery.

Last edited:
So it's been a few months... how is the game now? Looking to sink time in a open world time sinker.

Things I know:
The launch was horrendous, patches after patches fixing lots of critical things

I've heard from many friends whose opinion I trust that the story is absolute arse with no direction.

I know the assasinations missions are pretty open ended and like a miniature-sandbox and the only 'true successor to AC1' in that respect (which is my favourite AC game).

There's some murder mysteries that are interesting and about a 100 of the same infiltration mission types where you kill someone or steal something(complete crap) and there's tons of chests to loot, typical ubi collectathon

Combat is different and supposedly tougher and there's plenty of customization

Visually the asset quality is alright but the lighting is prebaked(therefore cheating) and hence the latter is not a positive point for me.

I guess my question is... are the gameplay bits worth it?

So it's been a few months... how is the game now? Looking to sink time in a open world time sinker.

Things I know:
The launch was horrendous, patches after patches fixing lots of critical things

I've heard from many friends whose opinion I trust that the story is absolute arse with no direction.

I know the assasinations missions are pretty open ended and like a miniature-sandbox and the only 'true successor to AC1' in that respect (which is my favourite AC game).

There's some murder mysteries that are interesting and about a 100 of the same infiltration mission types where you kill someone or steal something(complete crap) and there's tons of chests to loot, typical ubi collectathon

Combat is different and supposedly tougher and there's plenty of customization

Visually the asset quality is alright but the lighting is prebaked(therefore cheating) and hence the latter is not a positive point for me.

I guess my question is... are the gameplay bits worth it?

No the gameplay is definitely not worth it.The controls are innacurate as fuck Arno jumps everywhere except for the 1 place you want him to -.-
Although i played with KB+M and it could be that with a controller it's a lot better but i dont know as i dont use controllers.

COOP last time i tried it was a couple of days ago and its still very unstable.On 1 mission i got freezeframes ever other second making the gameplay unbearable -.-

Combat is harder and i think it is an improvement over the previous system but it still needs work.

Your friends are right the story is bad.No direction,Predictable but whatever you do play it in french :yes Superior in everyway

Yeah I'm a KB+M person too, controllers are not my thing, thanks.

---------- Updated at 09:18 AM ----------

Oh and the free stuff Ubi is offering as an 'apology' for AC Unity has these terms:

- MC Ubi - U Can't Sue This

Combat is harder and i think it is an improvement over the previous system but it still needs work.

I don't think combat has been improved at all. It's taken many steps back since AC1. You can only dodge with a stupid roll which takes like 5 seconds to complete only to get caught by another swing, even the lightest sword takes Arno a good 2-3 seconds to swing, you can't grab people anymore, have to unlock an ability to stab someone while they're knocked down, overall far fewer animations compared to AC2. The combat appears to be much more difficult but it's artificial because of all the enemies that use guns. If you had the option to use a human shield like in AC3 and 4 the combat would be the same walk in the park.

Confirming the kb+m is not the problem. Guarantee you it's as bad as a ps4 controller.

@sidspyker: You'll have to answer a few questions to know if you want to play.

Do I want to play as a shitty version of Ezio?
Do I want to play a boring, shitty story that hardly takes advantage of the time period?
Do I like shitty gameplay?
Do I want to play menial fetch quests and hunt for a million and one chests?

If you answered no to at least one of these few but important questions then steer clear.

@randyrhoads: You hit the nail on the head, buddy. Artificial difficulty indeed. And once you get a strong strike it's a joke. They just went the easy way taking out staples of the combat to streamline it.

Do I want to play as a shitty version of Ezio?
I think I can survive Arno after surviving Connor.

Do I want to play a boring, shitty story that hardly takes advantage of the time period?
No, but I stopped caring about the story past the 2nd game when they started to take the piss.

Do I like shitty gameplay?
Wh- it's Assassin's Creed.

Do I want to play menial fetch quests and hunt for a million and one chests?
Definitely not.

I'm still gonna try it because I hate myself(probably).

Top Bottom