Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody wants me to receive packages. -.- Last summer they didn't find my address and the second try was delayed for weeks, then in Winter they didn't ring the door bell and didn't leave a note and I only found out, that they had sent it back, cause I didn't come fetch it and now I found out, that they didn't find the shop in my home town where they were supposed to deliver the package to even though it is their own place. At least that is what it says online. Have to go there tomorrow and try to find out, what is wrong with them. -.-
I am really pissed... Never had a problem until last summer alls my life and since then nothing works anymore, no matter where I am!

I've never had an issue with packages, thankfully.

Biggest thing I have to deal with is being at work when shipments from Japan have to be signed for when I'm at work. The post office is less than a mile from my house.

Nobody wants me to receive packages. -.- Last summer they didn't find my address and the second try was delayed for weeks, then in Winter they didn't ring the door bell and didn't leave a note and I only found out, that they had sent it back, cause I didn't come fetch it and now I found out, that they didn't find the shop in my home town where they were supposed to deliver the package to even though it is their own place. At least that is what it says online. Have to go there tomorrow and try to find out, what is wrong with them. -.-
I am really pissed... Never had a problem until last summer alls my life and since then nothing works anymore, no matter where I am!

Damn! Are you sure that you don't live in Spain?

Oh yeah, DHL, I suppose?

We had this too. The guy delivering my sister's packages doesn't ring her doorball, just because he can. First time that happened she thought the doorbell wasn't working, therefore that guy had to give the package to some neighbour. Second time, she wasn't sure, if she was at home. But third time, when he delivered her 700€ clarinet, she was at home for sure, with the doorbell working because they tried some hours before, and 20mins later she went to the basement checking her mail just to find out that particular guy delivered that particular package to some neighbours without ringing the doorbell, but with the words: "Oh, she's never at home anyway, so, why ring there?"

A friend of mine got a package after four weeks in a smashed carton, with everything in it in an extra plastic bag. Just don't ask me how to smash such a carton while delivering packages ...

More recently, my host family sent me a package for Christmas, I got it today - even though the sending tracking (don't know if it's called so) in Poland showed it was delivered before Christmas. So, where did my package spend the holidays? No idea.

that particular guy delivered that particular package to some neighbours without ringing the doorbell, but with the words: "Oh, she's never at home anyway, so, why ring there?"

My neighbors complained about out DHL guy not ringing at their place 3 weeks ago. They're NEVER at home, I receive their packages twice a week because they aren't home. Sure whenever they are home they really notice he doesn't ring at their place. He stopped even trying to ring a year ago and knows I'll deliver them in the evening anyway.

My DHL guy was stressed out in the Pre-holiday rush so he was happy I offered to just take everything from the whole street and deliver to them.
Then again I had my DHL delivery guy over for coffee a month ago. Helps if it's someone you see more often than your own family. What annoys me is that PC hard-ware delivery is often split in multiple packages to circumvent the 500€ maximum insurance, and they never get to his delivery truck on the same day...

Worst I encountered was a 30KG charcoal briquettes order that got messed up in the packaging center. Apparently it fell down and spread all over the floor while loading his truck. Okay that took a while to get a new delivery but that's what the insurance is for.
And before anyone asks ordering 30KG charcoal briquettes to be delivered is a lot cheaper than buying in a normal store, especially in the winter months.

Most delivery services here are really good, much better than the official postal services. They usually text first to make sure there's someone to accept delivery, and reschedule if not.

But there's one who is really, really crap. Their tracking info is ALWAYS wrong - either it claims it isn't in the city yet, then they suddenly show up, or it sits for days on "out for delivery" and doesn't show up. Unfortunately, they're one of two used by the local equivalent of Amazon. I've got to the point of checking who'll be delivering before ordering anything from them.

Usually the post office is better than any other delivery service I've used. I've had FedEx leave stuff on the door step before where any one could come get it if they wanted. When you finally spend entirely too much money on a GTX980 you don't want it left out for any passerby to grab.... >: T

Especially since I live in an apartment building with an office that will always sign for packages and hold them locked up until I can get it from there. That's what the post office does if I'm not home. Thank god...

EDIT: Does any one else here ever feel like the most boring human being on the face of the planet sometimes? I was always raised on this principle to basically not speak unless I had something important to say, so I'm horrible at small talk. In any and every situation. - . -

Last edited:
EDIT: Does any one else here ever feel like the most boring human being on the face of the planet sometimes? I was always raised on this principle to basically not speak unless I had something important to say, so I'm horrible at small talk. In any and every situation. - . -

It's not you who's boring, it's the people you're talking to. :)
I hate small talk. In real life conversations, if I can't find something we're both interested in, I tend to switch off.

Isn't small talk the boring phase of a conversation though? I mean, it's pretty much the same every time with a certain individual, and it doesn't change much with others.

But I guess that it's a necessary evil, since without small talk, you won't get much else out of most people. :p

Oh, you're not alone. It's why I am terrible at parties where I don't know the majority of people; I'm usually that person that just chimes in on other people's conversations instead. I think it's because I'm terrible at improvising.

Though I also agree with @Dragonbird and
But I guess that it's a necessary evil, since without small talk, you won't get much else out of most people. :p
(probably why it always falls quiet after a bit...)
In my case, no good happens unless the other person is extremely chatty themselves.

Isn't small talk the boring phase of a conversation though? I mean, it's pretty much the same every time with a certain individual, and it doesn't change much with others.

When it's the exploratory phase of a conversation, it's OK. In most cases, you need to go through that small talk phase in order to find out if you do have anything in which you both share an interest.

I always had two problem areas in this. One is business social events, where you're expected to walk around and network. I hated those, as I was always on the "host" side of the discussion and was expected to initiate conversations. Never could think what to say. The second is if you're in a group where they have decided the topic between themselves and it's something that doesn't interest you, like their babies. (Nowadays, it tends to be their childrens' divorces, or their health problems). One-on-one conversations, with someone you actually WANT to talk to, it's usually easier to find that common ground. Or just give up and go to sleep with your eyes open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom