Pillars of Eternity

+
Well, that's just it. I play these on hardest and, frankly, they aren't very challenging. Which isn't to say I don't perish - I do - but it's from pretty obvious, I was watching TV kind of errors or, let's see how this works experiments. Turn-based I can stare at the puzzle for an hour until I figure out the best option. As for tactics...figure out which weapons or spells work best, ( or combo for D:OS) and then apply them at not-very-bright opponents. Wasteland 2 tactical depth has so far consisted of find-cover-shoot-enemy-with-assault-rifle. D:OS consists of make-mages-destroy-world.

That's really pretty much it.

XCom had more depth, as an example, but it was always a variation on the challenge. Enemy is under or near cover, is floating or is a Muton, soften up and then eliminate with snipers.

These aren't wargames, and they aren't that tactically deep. And it is boring to watch as the eight enemies you are absolutely going to destroy in five or less turns from now, hustle towards you and their doom.

In order for turn-based combat to be engaging it requires enough options to be available so it's not too repetitive. Turn-based games must also have AI that is capable of being unpredictable and capable of making intelligent decisions while taking into consideration what is occurring around them. While this applies to games with real-time combat, it is doubly important for turn-based games since they do not have the benefit of action-based combat to keep you engaged while fighting. This leaves only the tactical challenge as a means to keep the player engaged. And if the tactical challenge isn't present in turn-based games then combat becomes tedious and boring.

Last edited:
You're both right, there isn't really that much tactical depth to Wasteland 2's turn-based combat as one coming from the original X-COM or the Jagged Alliance series might have expected. Allowing you to 'head shoot' (often not really, unless it's a critical) someone at a decreased hit chance for a change doesn't necessarily add variety. Although the possibility to hack robotic opponents mid-combat and having to consider using different weapons with different armor-ignoring thresholds does mix up things nicely, as far as I'm concerned.

We'll see if inXile has more cash left to make the combat in TToN even more varied and deep this time around.

As far as real-time with pause (like in PoE, to get back on topic) is concerned, I personally don't see that much of an improvement or advantage over turn-based, to be honest. Sure, it's certainly more engaging since you're forced to make (potentially bad) decisions 'on the fly' and have to react accordingly 'on the fly' but for me this just gets out of hand too fast too often with the combat turning into a chaotic clicky mess, almost rivaling Starcraft in terms of APM. I certainly don't condemn it for that (like mentioned, I'm actually looking very much forward to it) but I guess I'm just a wee bit more in favour of the more controlled and therefore more tactical (if that makes sense) approach of turned-based. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

For PoE itself I just hope that Obsidian and their history with releasing games in rather questionable states won't come into play (pun intended) this time. Still quite a few nasty bugs to squash, if the build that has been showcased on Thursday was the most recent one.

Last edited:
Project Eternity's combat does seem naturally suited to turn based, don't see why they went RTwP instead, seems like putting a square peg in a round hole. Doubt it'll be as good as JA2 or TOEE, but it might match up to BG2, I hope so anyway, that was one of the premises of the kickstarter.

Yeah, I miss origina X Com. Xenonauts is pretty good, but..I dunno. I'm X-commed out?

I think my big hope for Eternity isn't RtwP or turn-based, it's that I can avoid it if I want or make it quick if I don't. Live or die. Real Time With Pause, like all real-time-based combat does, as Schinder mentioned, allow you to cover tactical shallowness with excitement. Which is okay, but also get tiresome after awhile. Run up, pause, barrage with abilities, unpause, etc.

I do think one of the reasons I liked Shadowrun Returns combat is that it felt faster, you know? Animations, combat length, number of turns, fatality..at least on hardest. If nothing else, when it got boring, (why do writers and developers think fighting giant bugs would be fun?), a least it was over. Autoshotgun go go.

That said, PoE combat does -look- like fun so far, so I'm still pretty excited about the game.

Edit: just watched the latest gameplay video again. Damn! Game looks great. Also, combat does look satisfyingly quick and brutal. Aaand more giant bugs. See? SEE?

Last edited:
Release date announced: March 26th!

STOCKHOLM — January 14, 2015 — Paradox Interactive and Obsidian Entertainment today announced that Pillars of Eternity, the role-playing game (RPG) inspired by timeless classics and funded directly by dedicated fans, has a firm release date set for March 26, 2015. Pillars of Eternity will be available at retailers worldwide, and eager fans and backers will be able to experience the game they have been promised.

“Everybody at Obsidian has been dedicated to ensuring that Pillars of Eternity is the game we said it would be ever since we launched the Kickstarter campaign,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “The community has been incredibly forthcoming with their feedback, and we want to thank all of our fans for being so engaged with the game’s development – and for giving us the time to implement their suggestions and ensure Pillars of Eternity is a game we can be proud of. We’ve used that time well, and the results will be worth the wait. The end is finally in sight, and our journey is nearly complete – at which point yours can begin.”

As the game nears completion, a selection of never-before-seen content from Pillars of Eternity will be revealed via a live stream, hosted by Josh Sawyer, the game’s Project Director. Sawyer will take viewers on a journey through the world of Pillars of Eternity to show what has been accomplished since the release of the backer beta. The live stream will air Thursday, January 15, at 1pm PST (21.00 GMT), here: www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

“Joining Obsidian for this process has been very rewarding,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “We’ve always known that, given the opportunity, the developers would be able to make Pillars of Eternity into the game we’ve all been waiting for; we’ve got several backers of the game on our own team. That’s just what we’ve done: we’ve allowed Obsidian to dedicate their attention completely to the creativity and quality of Pillars of Eternity, while we’ve offered our honest feedback, enthusiasm, and full support by handling all the other facets of launching a game that go beyond development.”

Pillars of Eternity is an RPG inspired by classic titles such as Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, which features an original world and game system that evokes and improves upon the traditional computer RPG experience. Funded via Kickstarter in late 2012, raising $4.5 million through both backer pledges on Kickstarter and Obsidian’s own website, Pillars of Eternity has been a project of passion both for the development team and for the loyal fans who have made it possible.

I am eagerly waiting for this. I have always enjoyed obsidian games as i find their games resonate well with me. Royal edition it is.

Last edited:
... Release Date!

If you have been waiting for word on a release date, the Pillars of Eternity team has some exciting news for you. The final game will be released on March 26th, 2015! At that time you will be able to purchase it "for reals" on Steam, GOG, and other online retailers.

This is also when we will be posting information about how you can redeem your game (and other backer rewards) on our Backer Portal.

If you’d like to make sure your order is correct, you can visit the Orders tab in your Account Profile. Any order there listed as “confirmed” is what we currently have confirmed for you. You can click on orders specifically to get more detail about your completed pledge.

If you’re a backer getting physical goods, we’ll be sending an e-mail around the end of February that will ask you to confirm your shipping address for us. You can verify and edit your address now if you’ve recently moved. We’ll keep you posted on when we’ll need final address edits!
eternity.obsidian.net/news/update-88-final-sprint-and-release-date

Guess we'll know by then.

---------- Updated at 10:13 PM ----------

Still a few bugs to squash in the latest build demo'ed just a few minutes ago, but if PoE doesn't already look like a VERY strong contender for (RP)GOTY 2015 then I don't know what does:
twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/611493909

Paradox and Obsidian apparently also don't know yet which of the currently available three GoG editions backers would be qualified for. Someone (jokingly I presume) suggested a fourth 'Kickstarter' edition, but wasn't given a straight answer to that as far I can tell from the chat history. Just some even more confusing PR mumbo jumbo about getting the game key and the backer rewards from the backer portal on eternity.obsidian.net. Maybe this means that you'll be given a key for the most basic 'Hero' edition of the game on GoG and then have to download all the additional extra and exclusive stuff from the backer portal separately(?).

Last edited:
So, March 26th, huh? Guess that means I'll only have two months to play this. I hope that's long enough...

Of course it isn't. If it truly is the heir to the Infinty Engine games, you'll be playing this for years to come. Just put it on hold and play TW3, which will also be played for years to come.

Damn, we're fucking slaves.

Pretty excited about this game actually. Hope I won't be disappointed but I am expecting BG2 level, that is, nothing quite spectacular in narrative (that will be the new Torment) but overall excellence in all departments: exploration, combat, quest design, music, art direction, character creation, etc.

Of course it isn't. If it truly is the heir to the Infinty Engine games, you'll be playing this for years to come. Just put it on hold and play TW3, which will also be played for years to come.

We'll have some time until TW3 for Linux will come out ;)

---------- Updated at 06:35 AM ----------

I wonder what edition KS backers will receive? I kind of like those fancier versions.

But in truth game + soundtrack + artbook is enough.

Some complained that Wasteland 2 for backers was very bare-bones on GOG. I agree that for me the game, soundtrack and artbooks are enough. But often soundtrack is split into some additional bonus package. See for example Lords of Xulima release.

Now I'm playing Grim and really enjoying the new soundtrack. It's not sold with the game though at all but you can extract the audio using some tools.

Last edited:
Update #89: Backer Rewards

Update by Darren Monahan, Operations Guy and Rose Gomez, Associate Producer

Hi backers!

As you may have seen in our previous backer update, Update #88: Final Sprint and… Release Date!, we’ve announced our launch date. Spoiler Alert: It’s March 26th, 2015! Our physical goods have all now been finalized and produced, save the final discs themselves, so we’re getting ready to package everything up.

Physical Backer? Read me!

We believe the old school experience is to have all of your physical goods on or near the day a game is launched. You should be able to take out your Collector’s Edition Guidebook, unfold your cloth map, roll out your new mousepad, and enjoy it all at the same time you are playing the game.

We believe you feel the same way we do! In order for us to have the best chance possible of getting everything completed by manufacturing and shipped so you have your rewards by or near our launch date, we have to resolve a conflict that has arisen between our promise of a DRM free game, and the realities of how long manufacturing takes.

The realities of manufacturing require us to have a final game disc *now* in order to get it into the box with everything else. The game today isn’t the final game you’d play on March 26th. We’re continuing to fix bugs, make improvements, and polish the game.

“So… what are you trying to say here? Does this mean some kind of delay you’re prepping me for?”

Not at all. What we’re more concerned about is the non-final build being leaked before you, the backers, are able to play it. It’s an unfortunate part of our business; many games get leaked after they leave the developers hands.

If it’s leaked early, it hurts everyone, both in the short and long term. It hurts you, the backers, who have waited with immense patience for the game, and you should be the first folks to get to play it. It hurts those who play an incomplete version of the game; that hurts us as a developer, which in turn hurts us as a business, and what may become of future projects.

Normally for our other games, like South Park: The Stick of Truth, we package up a pre-load version that makes installation faster. Then, once it went live, any changes we made since that pre-load version and the final 1.0 version were patched onto your computer automatically. If we required every user of a physical disc version to use an auto-patch system, we feel we would fail on our promise of a true DRM free game.

So here is our conundrum. We have a real conflict between delivering a fully working DRM-free disc and meeting our manufacturing requirements to get you your physical rewards as near to March 26th as we can. This is a real concern, again, if a version of the game that really isn’t the final version is leaked onto the internet. The pledges backers like you put in to the game are not only at risk, it just plain sucks if lots of other people are playing the game you funded before you do. Obviously, we want the game to sell well enough so we can make more of them too, and an early leak of the disc concerns us enough that we’d like to share these concerns with you too and see what you think.

So, what can we do?

There are two things we feel we could do that would help mitigate these concerns:

1. We ship everything out except the game disc, which we then ship to you after finalizing the 1.0 version. Wait a minute, Darren. That sounds crazy. You’re going to ship me a game with NO DISC inside at first?!

Here’s why we think that’s good: Anyone who pledged to a physical reward tier will get a digital copy. You’ll be able to get a Steam or GOG.com key on our site and play the game at the same time as everyone else. You’d be able to take out your Collector’s Guidebook, your cloth map, your mousepad and enjoy all of it at the same you’re playing Pillars of Eternity.

2. Alternatively, we delay shipping everything out to you once we have the final 1.0 version ready. For some parts of the world, this could mean a delay of some real significance. Not just a week or two, but multiple weeks after it’s released.

While it’s rather unorthodox, we really prefer option #1, even though it is going to cost us more in shipping costs. We just think it will be more fun for everyone to be able to enjoy all of the game and its add-ons at the same time. However, you’ve backed this game, so we want to hear what you think.
Please share your thoughts on our official poll thread here.

What about me, the digital backer?

For those of you who are digital backers, you would not be affected by this at all – you’ll still get the choice of a Steam or GOG.com key on March 26th.
For anyone planning to buy the physical retail version (not the physical backer version), that one uses Steam, so it would also be patched up after connecting to Steam.
We’ll announce the results in a backer update next week.

Fulfillment Items

We have started to get final versions of our backer rewards and we wanted to share some of our favorites with you.

Pillars of Eternity Collector's Book

As we've announced previously, we partnered with Dark Horse to bring you the Pillars of Eternity Collector's Book. Where the Prima Strategy Guide will be your go-to companion for all your walkthrough and strategy needs, the Collector's Book is there to satisfy the most hardcore lore enthusiasts. Whether your pledge included a physical copy or a digital copy, the Collector's Book is something we're sure you'll be happy with. We're very proud of it and we think Dark Horse did an amazing job bringing it to life. We'd like to share a sneak preview with you here.

The content of the book covers everything you would want to know about the world of Eora. Among the many informative chapters, you'll find detailed information on the people and gods, as well as the history of the Eastern Reach and recent events. There's even a detailed bestiary explaining the origins and habits of Eora's creatures.

Taken from the back of the book: "The Wheel of Berath spins endlessly, passing the souls of the vanquished through pillars of adra, the veins of the world, and giving them new life when they emerge again. With every journey's completion, another unfurls. With every danger averted, a new calamity looms. This is the world of Eora, where all life begins and ends at the Pillars of Eternity.

Pillars of Eternity Guidebook: Volume One paints in vivid detail the gods, monsters, cultures, factions, places, and histories of Pillars of Eternity - a definitive guide covering everything you need to know about this rich new setting, assembled by the acclaimed storytellers of Obsidian Entertainment."

Missed out on pledging for the Collector's Book? It's available for pre-order from a variety of online retailers including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Random House.

Almanac

Of the many digital-only backer rewards you'll be receiving, we'd like to present to you a few pages from the Almanac of the Eastern Reach, 2823 ai: For Colonists, Explorer, and Curiosity-Seekers. Inspired by classic games like Ultima V, we designed the Almanac as if it were written from within the game world. Our almanac happens to be penned by members of the Hand Occult.

Another lore heavy item, the Almanac contains a wealth of information. Folklore, major settlements and landmarks, local cultures, languages and expressions, a calendar of events, historical rainfall and planting dates and more can all be found within its pages.

Cloth Patches

One of our studio traditions is having cloth patches made for our games - largely perpetrated by Josh Sawyer himself. It seemed fitting to include patches as a reward for the Kickstarter.

Both the standard and elite patches are a very high quality. They're sew-on patches, and are extremely sturdy. They should stand up wonderfully to being sewn onto bags, jackets, and more. These are backer only items and come with tiers $140 and above.

PAX South

Last update we mentioned that we'd be showing off the game at PAX South. If you missed the live stream and want to check out the presentation, head on over to Twitch.tv and enjoy. (And you can see Adam sporting another one of our backer rewards - the Pillars of Eternity t-shirt by J!NX clothing!)

Backer Beta: Now on Linux!

As of our last Backer Beta update we have released the Linux build. If you are a Linux user and have access to the Backer Beta you should give it a shot. Make sure to report any Linux issues you find in our official Backer Beta forums.
eternity.obsidian.net/news/update-89-backer-rewards

Update #90: Shipping and Strategy Guide

Update by Brandon Adler, Producery Fellow

Hey, everyone. This is just a quick and dirty update for you on the backer poll we mentioned in our update from last week, some pics of the strategy guide, and news about PAX East. Our next update will come out in the next few weeks when we will discuss how backers can redeem their game from the Backer Portal.

Poll Results

First, we would like to thank all of our backers for taking the time to vote. It is very important to us that you are able to express your choice and voice your opinion about the shipping of rewards.

At close to 75% of the vote, it looks like shipping the physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date is the winner. This is how we will proceed with the shipping.

We realize that some of our backers have been asking about the possibility of selectively opting out of this choice and instead getting their items shipped to them all at once, multiple weeks after the game's release. We don't have an answer for this right now, but we are discussing the possibility with Paradox. Depending on the logistical realities we may not be able to provide this option, but we will explore the possibility. As for now, everyone will have their physical rewards shipped as soon as possible, and their game discs at a later date.

Prima Games - Collector's Edition Strategy Guide

We've been hard at work collaborating with Prima Games on the strategy guide for Pillars of Eternity. The folks over at Prima Games are not only working on creating the awesome Digital Guide for you backers, but will also be releasing a beautifully printed copy of the guide. Pillars of Eternity is a big RPG, and Prima Games is working to make sure that every inch of our huge game world is covered. The guide will include:

• Main Quest: A comprehensive walkthrough of the main story.
  • Side Quests and Tasks: An easy reference to all side quests.
  • Atlas: Maps for all critical locations in the vast world of Eora.
  • Training: How to create a character and expertly assign points to attributes and skills.
  • Achievements, Secrets, and exclusive bonuses.

The guide will also feature a Thank You section. If you pledged at a tier that included getting your name in the game's credits, you'll also find yourself featured here! As an added plus, all physical copies of the guide will include an access code for a free digital guide, viewable on any connected device. If you missed out on pledging for the strategy guide, the Collector's Edition Guide is a great option for getting all the tips and tricks you'll need for your journey through Eora.

To preorder the guide, you can head here.

PAX East

The Pillars crew will be heading to PAX East to give a panel on March 7th. Josh, Tim, Adam, Chris, Shane, and I will be there to demo and answer questions about the project. If you are going to be there make sure to stop by the Albatross Theatre at 4:30 PM to check it out.

That's it for now. Talk to you folks again when we give instructions on how to redeem your game and rewards.
eternity.obsidian.net/news/update-90-shipping-and-strategy-guide

Top Bottom