Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
lately I've been wondering if integrated audio has finally caught up.
Integrated caught up a long time ago, it's no longer the 'days of the old' where it was absolutely dreadful. You could probably squeeze more out of a separate DAC for sure, but in the end it's all about your ears, what sound good/clear to you and what doesn't. Some people swear by 24 bit FLACs being of exceptional quality(even tho above 16 it's humanly impossible to hear) while others can't differentiate between 128kbps encoded track to lossless, same applies here.

Interesting. I have always been a fan of sound cards but lately I've been wondering if integrated audio has finally caught up. Back in the day I liked Creative for their EAX, but that's pretty much dead now so I am open to options.
Depends. At least with headphones, a quality integrated audio might actually be a better option vs expensive soundcards since they usually have a relatively low output impedance. As for speaker systems, I wouldn't know since I don't really use them.

I am a fan of playing and watching movies with a 5.1 speaker system. Is there something like this with analog outputs for front, rear and sub?
Never heard of one but I guess there might be.

Integrated caught up a long time ago, it's no longer the 'days of the old' where it was absolutely dreadful. You could probably squeeze more out of a separate DAC for sure, but in the end it's all about your ears, what sound good/clear to you and what doesn't. Some people swear by 24 bit FLACs being of exceptional quality(even tho above 16 it's humanly impossible to hear) while others can't differentiate between 128kbps encoded track to lossless, same applies here.

How is it impossible to "hear" above 16-bit audio? That's "bit depth" or resolution vs sample rate, which may have something to do with human perception. 96 KHz, yes, it's "technically" above human range. But these are all digital representations that are later converted to our way of hearing things. The principle behind it is: the more information (or better representation), the better reconstruction of the original signal.

What I understand is the standard for CD audio was set to 44.1 KHz based on the human audition range: two times 22 KHz + small error margin. Bit depth has more to do with a digital representation of a continuous signal, but yes I bet for most audio / speakers you won't tell the difference between 16 and 24. I used to record more often a few years ago and I thought my 24-bit files sounded better, but maybe I was just expecting them to sound better.

What I've read recently is that sound cards still provide an isolated environment while integrated audio may be heavily affected by electronic noise Also shouldn't sound cards have better SNR?

I forgot I wasn't talking to someone for whom I'll have to simplify certain things :p

So instead of me fumbling around with half baked concents and poor range of expression, I give you what a simple google search result(scroll down a bit)
http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

EDIT: It also happens to be Xiph, I don't really need to state why I'd easily consider that a very trust-able source.

Well it's pretty much as I suspected. I'm not an audio expert but I've worked on signal (image) processing before and resolution + data representation play a big role, specially as the method complexity and data size grow. But the same idea applies: playback (viewing) wise, you can't tell.

Interesting. I have always been a fan of sound cards but lately I've been wondering if integrated audio has finally caught up. Back in the day I liked Creative for their EAX, but that's pretty much dead now so I am open to options.

I am a fan of playing and watching movies with a 5.1 speaker system. Is there something like this with analog outputs for front, rear and sub?

If you're looking for something more integrated, my ASUS Maximus Formula VII motherboard actually does have analog outputs for a 5.1 setup, though I'm just using a S/PDIF output to my receiver right now as it is easier.

Today I decided to let go of my past. A very hurtful past, where contains backstabbing people and some people i might not speak ever again.
And now i made sure i won't see their names bugging my face ever again.
I feel relived in some way.

View attachment 9395

I noticed something interesting in the meanwhile...some people who are currently not here (I sound like a hypocrite i know...)...I would like to ask them something...and this is going to be awkward...but i'm not going to fear the unknown.

Oh well, it is getting late, i'm tired, talk to you folks later.

Attachments

• a6bcf12e017629558202ce8b6b9aba8635abbf203259580b06d887c03ca9574b.jpg
    a6bcf12e017629558202ce8b6b9aba8635abbf203259580b06d887c03ca9574b.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 37
Today I decided to let go of my past. A very hurtful past, where contains backstabbing people and some people i might not speak ever again.
And now i made sure i won't see their names bugging my face ever again.
I feel relived in some way.

It's part of life really. If you have people dragging you down or being a negative part of your life, evaluating why they are part of it is definitely a good, though not easy, thing. All you can do is learn and move forward if you want to grow as a person and find new people to share yourself with if need be. I had a 'best friend' that I was friends with for years who was talking and doing shit behind my back and then lying to my face, so I finally cut him off. It sucked, but it needed to be done.

So congrats to you for lifting a weight off yourself!

It's part of life really. If you have people dragging you down or being a negative part of your life, evaluating why they are part of it is definitely a good, though not easy, thing. All you can do is learn and move forward if you want to grow as a person and find new people to share yourself with if need be. I had a 'best friend' that I was friends with for years who was talking and doing shit behind my back and then lying to my face, so I finally cut him off. It sucked, but it needed to be done.

So congrats to you for lifting a weight off yourself!

I guess it is kind of normal then. You know growing up I remember my sister having fallouts with some of her best friends and I thought that was pretty weird, because I rarely had a quarrel with any of my friends.

But you know as we grow, we change so.. yeah. Sometimes what each of us changes into, really does not fit with the other. It's kind of sad but that seems like a time to kind of.. break off.

Good thing is that at this age, both era and "age" (twenties), I feel like it's quite easy to start new friendships. So cheers to that.

:cheers:

By the way @SerieLis , you gots to axe now. Can't start a conversation and then leave. I won't be able to sleep. There will be this feeling of unfullfillment.:p

I guess it is kind of normal then. You know growing up I remember my sister having fallouts with some of her best friends and I thought that was pretty weird, because I rarely had a quarrel with any of my friends.

But you know as we grow, we change so.. yeah. Sometimes what each of us changes into, really does not fit with the other. It's kind of sad but that seems like a time to kind of.. break off.

Good thing is that at this age, both era and "age" (twenties), I feel like it's quite easy to start new friendships. So cheers to that.

:cheers:

By the way @SerieLis , you gots to axe now. Can't start a conversation and then leave. I won't be able to sleep. There will be this feeling of unfullfillment.:p

There are so many situations and scenarios and people out there that it's hard to say what is normal and not. :) I will say that unfortunately there are a lot of shitty people out there, but there are really good ones too. Sounds like you got the lucky roll in your life with who you ended up with. I honestly didn't have problems with my ex-best friend until I found out what he was doing and it just damaged everything. I moved around quite a bit growing up and sometimes I wonder what would have happened with old friends as opposed to the ones I made later in life. Ah well, the show must go on!

You're absolutely right about people sometimes changing over time. Sometimes it is good, sometimes bad, and sometimes it does cause things to just not work anymore with certain relationships.

I have found that we as humans are amazingly complex and yet simple at the same time, especially when it comes to the bonds we have with others.

@SerieLis Yeah! You totally teased us with that statement! Come back! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom