Why is the witcher 3 special so expensive?

+
Why is the witcher 3 special so expensive?

So my question why is the special edition so expensive in the uk? 40% more than in the USA.

It's a strange situation why is this. ?

At first I thought it was because the dollar and british pond (or however it's called) have a different value. But then it should be the other way around, so I guess the shop has a bigger profit margin...

Regional video game pricing and how it works... Sadly.

I'm not really sure what makes TW3 strange or surprising, this happens with the vast majority of games, or at least AAA games.

Being in Australia, I empathize with you completely, in-fact generally Australia gets screwed over even more than the other big countries. However there's just nothing we can do it about it and it's up to you as the customer to decide whether you want to pay it or not.

It'll cost R$ 800,00 (266 US Dolars) here in Brazil :( . Damned be our import taxes and exchange rate (1 dolar = 3 reais)

Distributors and retailers set their markups at what they think the market will bear. They control the price, not CDPR. If UK retailers think they can get £140 for it when US retailers are asking $150, that's what they'll charge. Even ex VAT, that's a 20% markup over US.

And as @ariate points out, Brazil has ruinous duties and taxes on imported goods. I read somewhere that once you add them up, they come to more than 160%.

Distributors and retailers set their markups at what they think the market will bear. They control the price, not CDPR. If UK retailers think they can get £140 for it when US retailers are asking $150, that's what they'll charge. Even ex VAT, that's a 20% markup over US.

And as @ariate points out, Brazil has ruinous duties and taxes on imported goods. I read somewhere that once you add them up, they come to more than 160%.

Not so High, but not low either.

For a console, we have 20% for Import taxes, 50% for taxes to industrialized products, 1,65% for PIS( a tax for the brazilian worker....) and about 11% for Cofins (social related). After that, when the merchandise enters the Country, the importer need to pay the ICMS tax to the Estate the goods are entering. About 18-20%
Around 120% on taxes, athough the math is just insane (it's tax over tax). For console games, the taxes on industrialized products are 30%.

The only difference come to PC games. Those enter on the Software category, not on eletronic games. So they are much cheaper.

As an example, The Witcher 3 here in Brazil is R$199,90 for PS4 and R$ 99,90 for PC.

To add the taxes, we have a very expensive transport system. As an example, My co-worker bought some products from China to sell to some clients. The cost of the transportation was around 10-20 US dolars. The same cargo here in Brazil would cost at least 200 Us dolars to travel a much shorter distance. We only use trucks, our roads sucks and our gas is expensive. Do the math :(

These things plus the store profit make these "amazing" prices...

Brasil é tenso ;]

You guys don't even wanna know how much it is to build a beefy PC that can handle well the next gen upcoming games. haha

For you to have just a glympse a good deal on the GTX 970 here is R$1.600... but that's going a bit of topic now :/

Last edited:
Regional pricing don't always works againts consumer. For ex, in Turkey, Witcher 3 pc retail edition is like 59 lira=24 bucks... Long live competition!

Top Bottom